Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Honda get its mojo back?

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    Your 2000 TL is in the majority of transmissions that didn't fail, but a significant minority of failures gave the '00s-'03s, especially, a bad reputation. Sorry to tell you, but your '05 Odyssey's transmission was probably okay. As for the timing belt, I believe it's good for 105K.

Did you change the fluid in your TL's transmission, and, if so, at what intervals?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,154
    Timing belt is a years or miles deal, and it was up on years.

I changed the fluid in the TL a year or so ago to be safe. not sure when or if it was changed prior to that. Most likely at around 105K, since my sister always did what the dealer said was due. So if it was on the maintenance schedule, probably when it was done!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,505
    I suspect the V6 put out more torque than the unit could handle, or the applications where it was used were too heavy - or maybe there was just a bad batch of a certain component. I've met more than one person who experienced a failure, esp in Odysseys.
    edited January 2013
    Could be any of those things. As far as I know Honda never came clean on the problem. Regardless, the problem went away by the '04 or '05 model year, and, as you know, now they have new CVT and 6-speed automatics.

My take and experience with Honda/Acura, of which our family has owned several, is that they're not the most exciting choices, but they're solid, reliable and relatively low maintenance. I'd consider another TL if they sort out the styling, but I don't have any particular brand loyalty.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    Yep...solid, reliable and low maintenance is exactly what my Civic is but just a tad on the boring side. Had a free coupon for a battery check, was there at 6:45 this morning and they plugged it in and the reading came back as "good"...bought in 4/10 so it's still good to go though I did have a starting issue last week. I have an Interstate model and it's pro-rated if it fails before 48 months I believe. But yes, this car doesn't ask for much to keep it going though I've already done the tranny fluid change, brake fluid change, and do oil changes once a year since I rarely drive more than 4k/year now, if that much. It's 6.5 years old now and probably due for the coolant to be changed but with only 35.4 on the clock, I was planning to wait another year or two.

But I am getting a bit itchy for a new car actually. Seems silly really but that itch won't seem to go away. I'm trying to be strong here...but for how long I'm not sure!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/honda-35l-sohc-v-6

http://wardsauto.com/site-files/wardsauto.com/files/imagecache/large_img/uploads- /2012/12/web-honda-35l-v6-10-be-specs.jpg

"For delivering exemplary fuel economy and simultaneously pulling like a freight train at hard throttle, Honda’s improved 3.5L V-6 earns its fourth Ward’s 10 Best Engines trophy since 2005.

We’ve always cherished this 60-degree titan as an unsung hero whose power easily surpasses the numbers on the spec sheet."
    edited February 2013
    All-new 2013 Honda Accord Coupe Earns Highest Safety Ratings in Midsize Class

The 2013 Accord Coupe is the only vehicle in its class to earn a NHTSA 5-star Overall Vehicle Score and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating with GOOD ratings in all test modes.

Not surprising, Accord has been a top safety pick for generations. :shades:
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,154
    I assume that is the 3.5l V6 in my 2013 RDX? If so, it really is a sweet engine.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Pretty much. The J-series has been around since the late 90's IIRC so the one in your RDX should be a derivative of it. I had one in my 03' MDX and it was perfect for the application, a V8 was not necessary. :shades:

BTW, those RDX's are becoming quite popular here in New England. I see them quite frequently and have spotted the full color pallette. Basque Red is my fave so far.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,975
    Sorry, couldn't resist. :blush:

Honda Odyssey: The minivan with its own vacuum (adn.com)

Can't really see this driving many sales though.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    Pulled up next to a new Accord in burgandy at a stop light today and it was beautiful, absolutely stunning! It's the right size vehicle for a family and from what I've read, pretty fuel efficient to boot. My buddy's wife just bought a Sport version in this color and she just loves it, who wouldn't! They paid around $24k he said which seems to be a lot of value for the $. Just wish the wife would go that route but I know it's way to big. But Honda has really hit a home run here and I predict they're gonna sell a bunch of these puppies and maybe even surpass the Camry as the best selling mid sized vehicle in the U S. Will have to test drive one eventually to see how really good it is. Just wish the Civic was a 2/3 Accord as I'd push the wife hard to get one but right now, the Civic isn't as good. The Lexus IS is more what I'd consider a smaller Accord like vehicle.

Kudos to Honda for doing a spectacular job with this new Accord as I didn't like the last generation too much even though it was popular. This new model just has "it" and I know it will sell briskly!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Some of the other boards that I've visited have been applauding this. The only disappointments I've read is you have to buy the top trim level to get it and many would have liked to see the "Lane Watch" system like the new Accord has.

I think it will bump sales a few points myself. :D
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,975
    edited March 2013
    I'm seeing a lot of positive vibes too, like this tweet from an Edmunds editor at the show: "vacuum = no brainer. Can't believe this awesome feature didn't hit the minivan market earlier. @kellytoepke".

Personally, I think I'd rather just have a power port back there (probably has a couple already). A 120v one would be nice. That said, I've often used a whisk broom on camping trips to keep the detritus in the rear on my van down under an inch deep so a built in Shop Vac could work. :-)

Just can't see it being a deal breaker for someone comparing it to a Sienna.

My snarky side wonders if it could vacuum up the kink on the side of the van. :shades:

2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite Cleans Up 2013 New York Auto Show

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• berriberri Posts: 4,141
    They should take that vacuum and suck out the side profile design. It's fugly, disjointed and needs a re-do sooner, not later.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Current odd styling on sides of Ody is less noticeable in dark colors. Burgundy/maroon helps to mask the weird lines.
    edited April 2013
    The new RLX got a negative review in the Wall Street Journal. Among the comments, it said the RLX, Acura's flagship sedan, is little more than a larger, heavily contented Accord. While adapting Honda's FWD architecture to a car with E-Class and 5-Series fighting pretensions saved money, the result is a car that doesn't accomplish its mission, in the reviewer's opinion. Further, it's not even an effective competitor to the A-6 Quattro. Was Dan Neil, the WSJ reviewer, too hard on the RLX?

Incidentally, Consumers Reports rated the 2013 A-6 best-in-class; better than the E-Class or 5-Series.

Are you listening , Lincoln?

It should be mentioned that the RLX will be available with AWD later this year. The AWD version will also have more power. I hope the WSJ tests that model too, to see whether that will make the RLX more competitive with its German rivals. And, let's not forget Cadillac, which just introduced an all-new, larger CTS to take on the Germans.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,676
    edited April 2013
    Just bought one of the new Accords, and we love it so far.

Very nice improvements over our 2008 EXL navi in most areas. I still love the 08 because it's a manual, which is what i prefer.

One of the biggest changes is that the Accord is now a quiet car on the road. Road noise has always been a weak spot for the Accord, and that's now gone.

I'd say Honda's mojo is definitely back.
    Congrats! Haven't seen too many in red.
    In the latest MT "Alphabet Soup" battle, the Acura comes out on top.

link title

Gives me hope for the new RLX.