Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plants in Japan after the Earthquake

Does anybody know of the status of any of the Mitsi plants after the terrible event?
·

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 43,441
    edited March 2011
    All I've seen so far are reports that Toyota has closed all their factories (12?) while they assess damage and account for employees. One engine plant up north was heavily damaged. One Honda worker was killed at a research facility. The Infiniti/Nissan car staging lot at the port of Hitachinaka that got destroyed made for an amazing photo.
    Japanese automakers assess damage, close some plants (Detroit News)

Finding a little more:
    Mitsubishi Production Could Be Stalled (centralillinoisproud.com). So the earthquake may affect production at the Normal IL plant.

Mitsubishi eyes parts supply after quake (pantagraph.com)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

·
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,272
    Mitsu posted this on Facebook: "Please join us in sending good thoughts to our friends in Japan. So far it sounds like everyone at MMC is okay - though many had to spend the night in the office, as they could not get home. We've linked to the Google Crisis Response page, which provides information and can help you if you are having trouble trying to contact or locate someone in Japan."
    ·

·
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,940
    QX56 monstrosity is Japan-built? Along with Quest and MDX?
    ·
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/14/honda-temporarily-shutters-motorcycle-facilit- ies-in-wake-of-earthquake/

We will see cascading effects. Pretty soon supplier X will run out of widgets, which supply this sub-assembly, which go in that car.

Honda can't even reach all its suppliers to ask.
    ·
    edited March 2011
    Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan plan to resume production, at least partially, this week (Mitsu has already resumed domestic production).

Toyota Extends Car Assembly Production Halt But Some Plants Resume Works (Fox)

However, the Detroit News says Toyota won't start making vehicles until at least March 23rd.

Toyota, Nissan extend production halts after quake

·
    Automakers face quake-related shortages of microchips, batteries, experts say

Ford is among the numerous manufacturers worldwide that depend on Japan for everything from memory chips to batteries for hybrid cars. The goal is to avoid parts shortages while Japanese suppliers such as Sanyo Electric Co. and Toshiba Corp. make sure they have access to power, water, transportation and materials.

The U.S. relies on Japan for about 14 percent of parts for auto production, Hill said, predicting that Toyota, Nissan and Honda will see the biggest impact to their U.S. operations.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110315/OEM10/110319938/1490- #ixzz1GmCXKzXH

Another article...

Fuji Heavy, which also had planned shutdowns through Wednesday, extended them through Sunday, too.

Subaru also canceled overtime at an assembly plant in Lafayette, Ind., this week to conserve parts.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110315/GLOBAL/110319944/149- 0#ixzz1GmDASltJ
    ·
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,733
    edited March 2011
    does this mean full Japanese-built Mitsubishi production? To what Mitsubishi was producing happily before the big quake and tsunami hit?

Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan plan to resume production, at least partially, this week (Mitsu has already resumed domestic production).

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

·
    AN says plants are now to stay closed thru March 22.
    ·
    "Honda, Nissan and Toyota told Inside Line on Wednesday that they do not believe there is any harmful radiation risk on cars and parts coming from Japan.

Responding to an e-mail query from Inside Line, Mike Michels, vice president of communications for Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., wrote: "The majority of our operations are in Aichi prefecture, which is far from the earthquake zone and contamination sources. Vehicles are plastic-wrapped on ships ("wrapguard") and washed at our processing facilities before shipping to dealers. This is normal procedure. Also, Customs and Homeland Security already routinely monitor shipments for radiation as part of anti-terrorism procedures."

Japanese Carmakers Say No Radiation Risk Expected on Exported Vehicles (Inside Line)

·
    For a minute there I thought the glow-in-the-dark, Mountain Dew colored Lexus CT was totally irradiated. ;)
    ·
    AN Alert: General Motors will suspend production at its Shreveport, La., assembly plant starting Monday because of a parts shortage stemming from the earthquake in Japan. The plant makes the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon compact pickups

Strange...
    ·
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,266
    Don't they also make the rare Suzuki Equator and didn't they once make and Isuzu I-series there?
    ·
    Funny, I just mentioned the same thing in another thread (the Isuzu link, that is). Must be...
    ·
    "The short- to medium-term loss of stable component supply will have a substantive effect on the ability for (automakers’) final-production facilities to quickly resume operations,” said a report today from IHS Global Insight

The shutdown of some critical supplier facilities has begun to affect operations outside Japan, as well."

Japan's Auto Concerns Shift to Suppliers (AutoObserver)

"Honda Motor Co (7267.T) has warned U.S. dealers that it is not sure if it will be able to resume full production at certain Japanese plants before May, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing a memo distributed by the automaker." (Reuters)

·
    May...first realistic estimate I've seen, too.
    ·
    edited March 2011
    Nissan said today that later this week it will "restart its entire auto production process after a devastating quake brought the country's auto industry to a standstill." (Wall St. Journal).

Not that "entire" doesn't mean full - production lines are subject to power blackouts and lack of parts. The Nissan engine plant near the nuke plant won't be restarted yet.

Damaged roads and gas shortages are affecting the supply logistics of all the Japanese automakers.

·
    Toyota, Honda extend shutdowns as rivals resume output after quake

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110322/OEM01/110329971/1117- #ixzz1HL8qFJB8
    ·
    "Japan’s close-knit and highly integrated supplier sector has not been forthcoming with particulars of how widely the disaster has impacted the country’s supplier network and, just as important, whether damage to roads and railways will take an extended toll on the just-in-time parts-delivery model the industry’s suppliers have made so famous."

Honda And Toyota Japanese Factories Remain Closed (AutoObserver)

·
    Toyota braces for slowdown in North American output

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110323/OEM01/110329940/1117- #ixzz1HWXLQqoV
    ·
    it will take several months for its r&d center in the quake zone to resume full operations.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110324/OEM01/110329937/1117- #ixzz1HWYtr5Vp

Other Japanese automakers limped toward recovery today, with Toyota Motor Corp. announcing plans to resume limited production of hybrid vehicles, including the Prius, on Monday.

Nissan Motor Co. resumed operation at its five domestic assembly plants. But those plants are working on cars already in progress and with components in stock. Supplies of incoming parts remain in question.

Fuji Heavy Industries, maker of Subaru cars, extended existing factory shutdowns into a new week.

·
    ·
    Check this out:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5785281

Incredbile!

6 days!

DC can't fill a pothole in 6 weeks!
    ·
    edited March 2011
    "Toyota's U.S. manufacturing arm is preparing for a possible shutdown because of parts shortages from Japan, a Toyota spokesman said.

Toyota employs 25,000 manufacturing and R&D workers in North America.

"All automakers are just now figuring out who supplies every little part." Said Edmunds.com senior analyst Michelle Krebs. "The shortage of any one could shut down an assembly line. Toyota isn't the only one vulnerable; virtually all major automakers have some risks."

Toyota tells U.S. plants 'prepare to shut down' (Yahoo)

·
    edited March 2011
    Ford "halted all new orders for trucks, SUVs and cars in "tuxedo black" and other hues due to shortages of some pigments made in Japan."

Reverse Model T: Some Fords Won't Be Painted Black (Wall St. Journal)

·
    Wow, man, welcome to the global economy!

Henry Ford is turning over in his grave, he like all colors as long as they were black!
    ·