Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plants in Japan after the Earthquake

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Japan quake may cut global auto output by about 30%, IHS says

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110324/OEM01/303249730/1492- #ixzz1HcLuc2fr

Ouch!
    ·
    Toyota said that on Monday that it will resume limited production of the Prius and the Lexus HS250h and Lexus CT 200h hybrid vehicles. But the rest of its auto assembly will remain suspended indefinitely, extending the suspensions into a second full week

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110324/OEM01/110329933/1492- #ixzz1HcMOw2Ne
    ·
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,386
    Wow, man, welcome to the global economy!

On the ride home last night, there was a story on NPR about a one man factory that makes a component for Hitachi who in turn uses that part on a subway car component for the NYC subway system. One man shop can't get steel, Hitachi can't get his part, NYC has trains sitting around waiting for repair.
    ·
    ALERT: Mazda suspends U.S. dealer orders for Japan-built models

Source: Automotive News.
    ·
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 9,860
    I just caught that. I guess it will keep me being a good boy on not buying another car real soon since Mazda would be high on my list.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE
    ·
    Still got CCB?

Maybe buy now before supply is short and prices go up?

Sorry, feeding the addiction...
    ·
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 43,758
    Interesting connection.

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

·
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    coming in for a few months, looks like, and no Honda Fits either. It's a good thing they had loaded up on those models just prior to the quake.

Mazda is going to be hurt the most by this - the Mazda3 supply will get messed up, and that's 3/4 of their sales volume.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

·
    IMHO, autoblog is making quite the stretch.

They don't cite any proof that the 1m EV's in Europe centered around an increase for nuke plants. They dont take into account the reduction in use of fossil fuels as geenrating electricity is more efficient than burning in vehicles.
    ·
    The media often get it wrong.

Public reaction is important, though. Japan must contain any radiation leaks, else the public will over-react as well.
    ·
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,944
    A reporter would like to interview someone who is having trouble finding a new Prius at a dealership. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 31, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

·
    that will result in a shortage of 233 parts numbers for at least 30 days...

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110329/OEM01/110329866/1490- #ixzz1I5fdlmQQ
    ·
    Honda Motor Co. will slash daily output at its U.S. assembly plants by as much as 50 percent starting Wednesday, as the supply of parts coming from Japanese suppliers hit by the March 11 earthquake dwindles.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110329/OEM01/110329850/1117- #ixzz1I5jN1JU5
    ·
    That's actually a pretty amazing idea. I wonder though how it would really help? I guess it would be based on how common parts would be. I'm sure plenty of unseen bits are shared and suppliers can use raw materials for certain parts - thank goodness they've mastered the art of SMED.
    ·
    I think one of the primary concerns is power consumption.

Apparently Tokyo and the northern half of Japan is still on 50Hz, while the southern half uses the more standardized 60Hz system.

So they are not able to share power, and send power from the southern grid to compensate for the outages up north.

This is why they have rolling blackouts in the north (including Tokyo).
    ·
    edited March 2011
    Note how the dates keep sliding....

Honda targets mid-April factory startup as carmakers inch toward recovery

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110331/OEM/110339979/1117#i- - xzz1ICKvT6V1

They also say the plant that builds the Toyota Yaris will be offline for another full month!
    ·
    Nissan to idle U.S. plants for 6 days amid parts shortages

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110401/OEM01/110409991/1329- #ixzz1IItx1I2B
    ·
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    edited April 2011
    This could prove to be a boomfor U.S./European/South American... you name it manufacturers. If Japan doesn't get these plants up fast, someone will take thier spot soon. Where there is demand, there is opportunity to make money. Plust, this shows a weak spot in auto manufacturing. I would be this does not happen again. There are other car companies other than Honda/Toyota/Mazda don't forget. They too will see opportunity and fill the gaps.. Gotta love competition.
    Don't get me wrong. I feel for the people of Japan and would not want to wish this catastrophe on anyone.
    ·
    For sure the makes with more flexibility with suppliers will capitalize.
    ·
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 43,758
    edited April 2011
    "Some analysts now are saying a marked impact on automakers’ 2011 earnings is unavoidable, while Deutsche Bank said yesterday the overall Japanese auto industry may have to absorb a 15-percent decline in auto production this year.."

Japan Auto Production Adapts To Disaster Reality

Also of interest, an AutoObserver contributor who has lived in Japan for 20 years talks about life in Tokyo, and reports "What we’ve also learned again, mirroring Toyota’s recall fiasco in the U.S. last year, is that Japan is not too good at crisis management; you know, acting quickly when the chips are really down. Why? Because the system is not there. "

Japan Post Quake: A Letter from Tokyo

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

·
    edited April 2011
    They just had the worst March since the 1960s, and I predict April will be even worse.

When they do start to recover, though, imagine how many cars were destroyed. I saw what seems like hundreds of Suzuki Wagon R models damaged by the Tsunami.

Edit to add link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/05/japans-new-cars-sales-reportedly-plummet-to-l- owest-since-1968/
    ·
    Expedition, Super Duty, and Navigator short on parts from Japan.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/02/report-ford-idles-first-plant-due-to-japan-fa- llout/

Go figure!
    ·
    As they noted, sales are slow on those so perhaps they are conserving parts for other models like Explorers and the Focus.
    ·
    Likely true, but then I wonder, what parts does a Focus and a Super Duty share? :D
    ·
    IIRC, it's mostly electronic components that in short supply so I'll go with that - abs module, airbag computer, et al.
    ·
    When a Super Duty uses parts from Japan it just proves just how global our economy is.
    ·