Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plants in Japan after the Earthquake

124»

Comments

• carthellcarthell Posts: 128
    Yeah, the hits keep coming.

Todo list for Japan's power system:
    1) Build coal-powered plants.
    2) Integrate power systems in the north & south of the country so power can be transmitted efficiently to the places that need it (this depends on whether millions are willing to buy new products & equipment to accommodate a change. If they can't do it quickly, then they'll have to stretch out the integration over a length of time [10 years?]).

Global Japanese car industry:
    1) Source and build more parts where they sell the vehicles.

Although my last two vehicles were from Japanese subsidiaries, one of the important variables I use to make a car purchase is product support. I'm starting to save toward a down payment to a new car. If continuing problems in Japan hamper their ability to make vehicles a year from now, I'll have to review what the domestics, Koreans, and Germans have to offer.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,740
    I would take a good hard look at the South Koreans and Hyundai/Kia. You may be surprised at just how good they are. I have tasted two new Kia's and would buy another in a New York minute.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited June 2011
    They are cashing in on the misfortunes of the Japanese makes. Kia's sales were up more than 50% last month, and the funny thing is they had a GOOD year in 2010, so that says a lot!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 44,423
    edited June 2011

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,497
    Well losing the rear view camera supplier is better than losing their ABS module supplier.
    Yeah, no brakes! :D
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    Why Japan is bouncing back so quickly

unprecedented teamwork among erstwhile rivals helped everyone.

For example, automakers collaborated to forestall a much-feared summer energy crunch that could hammer production just as it ramps up. To lessen the load on the local power grid -- but keep plants running -- the industry agreed as a group to work on weekends and take off Thursdays and Fridays.

And don't downplay nearly unthinkable cooperation among competitors. Look no further than Iwaki Diecast Co., which makes aluminum engine parts. Because its plant was offline, Iwaki Diecast handed its blueprints to an unscathed rival who plugged the supply chain gap. Japan's Nikkei business daily chronicled several such sacrifices that sped everyone's recovery.

Finally, it was probably naïve to believe the gloomy initial forecasts.

Japanese executives are archconservative by nature. They consistently underpromise and overdeliver. It's a way of business here.

....Toyota's plants in Japan are operating at 90 percent of pre-quake levels. And even Honda, among the worst hit, aims to have its domestic production back to normal by August

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110613/OEM01/306139870/1424-

I read in a separate article that despite the quake, Suzuki still has the second highest days supply of any automaker - 80 days' supply in the U.S. Closely followed by Mazda at 76 days, apparently. Only Saab is worse, at 246 days (!!).

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Suzuki had massive over-supply prior to the quake, though.

I bet those numbers have gone down slightly.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/17/toyota-says-na-production-to-recover-by-septe- - mber-earlier-than/

US production at full steam by September, but Japan only by December at the earliest.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    Prius down to a 10-days' supply in North America? Maybe Honda will finally sell a few Insights. ;-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Subhead: South Korean Automakers See Biggest Drop in Inventory

"In analysis of a hefty sample of more than 60 percent of the nation’s vehicle inventory, Edmunds.com found that most results were as expected – Honda and Toyota suffered most from a lack of vehicle inventory due to the quake; ditto for subcompact and compact vehicles. What is surprising is that South Korean automaker Hyundai has been so hard hit by inventory depletion as a result of strong demand, in part due to real and perceived lack of availability of Japanese favorites but also due to the fact that the automaker continues to be on a roll."

Japanese - and Korean - Inventories Drop Most (AutoObserver)

That tells you where everyone who left Honda/Toyota went...
    Wow...
    "Automotive production in Thailand will be affected in the near term due to the lack of auto-parts supply as a result of the floods," Frost & Sullivan analysts wrote in a note published Thursday, "but is not likely to have a medium-long term effect on Thailand as an automotive production hub in the region."

"Sony Corp. Thursday joined a lengthening list of big-name Japanese manufacturers like Honda Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. in saying Thailand's extreme flooding has derailed production, closing down either plants or key parts suppliers in recent days."

Bangkok Takes Risky Step to Head Off Floodwaters (WSJ)

"After battling vehicle and component shortages after this March’s earthquake and tsunami in Japan, Honda Motor Co. Ltd. said today it added a second production shift at its Honda Manufacturing of Indiana LLC assembly plant in Greensburg."

Honda Adds Second Shift At Indiana Plant (AutoObserver)

It will take a while to get supply levels back up to par, though. We should see a gradual recovery.
124»