Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 535i Tires and Rims

Comments

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,445
    Sounds like you may be making the wise choice for your circumstances...

Hopefully, you will never need the insurance...

Again, may the wheel and tire gods be merciful to you!
  • I purchased a 535xi with the sport package and 19" rim and low profile, run flat tires. Over a seven month period, I had 3 blown tires and 11 bent rims. All of the problems were a result of normal potholes.

Its a known BMW problem that low profile, run flat tires do not have enough sidewalk between the road and the rim. I have this confirmed thru 2 very good BMW mechanics.

Buyers beware.

Further, BMW will not make good on the problem. Make sure you purchase the third party insurance.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The issue has nothing to do with BMW per-se and everything to do with folks who want bling looking wheels at the expense of both ride and handling; regardless of manufacturer, if you opt to equip your car with such low profile tires they will be susceptible to damage from "normal" pot holes. Had you checked before buying your car you would have found BMWs disclaimer regarding such a purchase:

"Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris can cause serious damage to wheels, tires, and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires. Run-flat tires do not come equipped with a spare tire and wheel."

Said another way, while BMW offers a large wheel and low-profile tire package for those whom insist on having their cars equipped accordingly, they also recommend against buying said package. So, while you may want to blame BMW for the wheels and tires you've damaged, I really don't understand your logic for placing the blame anywhere but squarely on your own shoulders.
  • the problem has more to do with poor engineering of the suspension systems on the part of BMW. Many automotive companies offer low profile tires and they do not result in the same issue. Go buy and Audi like I did, its faster, better handeling and well engineered.
  • A true BMW fan defending until the end. The problem is not with the buyer of these vehicles it is the automotive company that keeps offering the same cheap product, riding on the coattails of a reputation of days gone by.

BMW is no longer the company they were, so they continue to bring cheap china made junk to anyone that will buy it. Its that simple.

I have had no problem with the 2012 Audi A6 low profile tires and all. Oh and did I say much more fun to drive.
    edited October 2011
    Utter and complete nonsense; any car with a wheel and tire combination which features a sidewall height of less than four inches is highly susceptible to tire and rim damage. Audis with wheel tire combinations with sidewalls as short as those on a 5-Series with 19" wheels (assuming Audi even sells such a creature) will be just as easily damaged as those on the BMW.
    "A true BMW fan defending until the end."

Seriously? You sound like someone who knocks a brand for no other reason than you have nothing better to do.

"The problem is not with the buyer of these vehicles it is the automotive company that keeps offering the same cheap product, riding on the coattails of a reputation of days gone by."

Incorrect; the problem is the buyers of these vehicles who don't read the fine print and then when they mess something up they want to find someone to blame for their own screw-up.

"BMW is no longer the company they were, so they continue to bring cheap china made junk to anyone that will buy it. Its that simple."

Where'd you get that little gem? Oh wait, you like make stuff up on the fly. :P

"I have had no problem with the 2012 Audi A6 low profile tires and all. Oh and did I say much more fun to drive."

Most likely an irrelevant comparison. Why? BMW offers not one, not two, but three different "low profile" tire and wheel sizes for the 5-Series, and unless your Audi is equipped with a tire and wheel combination that is as low as the 19" setup on the 5-series, then you're comparing apples-to-oranges. Even if your tires have the same sidewall height, the comparison isn't terribly relevant. Why? Because lots of folks 5-Series cars and 19" wheels have (so far at least) no problems as they've been able (so far at least) to avoid road hazards.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    While you could buy stronger wheels (say a nice forged one), you can still bend it (it may not break), but it would still trash a low profile tire if you hit a pothole or other defect at sufficient speed.

Compared to Germany, our typical roads are trash...they tend to build them with MUCH more depth and a foundation designed to last ages. Ours are much thinner, and with the traffice and freeze/thaw cycles common to lots of the country, ours just plain fall apart quicker. Then, the quality of repairs, when required, just aren't always the best. If you want to complain, complain to the local and national government, and get them to actually spend the fuel tax money on road maintenance rather than other things...or, bite the bullet and pay the fuel costs those in Europe tend to pay...the gas costs about the same, the differences are in the taxes...more money to actually make and maintain decent roads. In the meantime, use higher profile tires...or, pay the consequences.
  • We shouldn't have to complain to the government for its bad roads, or blame the BMW consumer for not reading the 'fine print.' The issue with these BMW run flat tires is way too common. It's reasonable to expect when you buy a car (in the US or anywhere) that it can be driven on roads that have average wear and tear. If BMW does, in fact, have a disclaimer in their lease/sales agreements warning that the car isn't suited to normal American roads, it's reasonable to expect them to be more deliberate about bringing that disclaimer to our attention. After all, they're now selling a product that isn't capable of doing even the most basic of its functions -- traveling on roads. That's inexcusable. Sure... "buyer beware." But the person who referred to BMW's reputation had it right. There are too many people now having this problem. BMW has a responsibility to either stop making a product that won't function in its most basic capacity, or to go above and beyond the fine print to make buyers aware of its limitations.
    The point you seem to continually miss regarding the BMW wheel issues is that the only complaints I've read with any consistency are those from drivers of cars which have opted to upsize the wheels not once but twice. Look at the aftermarket, there clearly is a market for folks who want to blingize their vehicle (at the expense of both ride and handling), and then when it doesn't work out, those of whom opted to buy their big weels from BMW want to [non-permissible content removed] and complain that it's BMWs fault their $2,000 upgrade didn't pan out.

Regarding the disclaimer which I referenced a few posts back, it only applies to the largest of the wheel options for the 5-Series; it does not apply to the stock setup. Those with more "normal" wheel/tire setups have no more chance of suffering a wheel or tire failure than anybody else.

Regarding the whole RFT thing, I, like many others, feel it was a stillborn idea on BMWs part, and will continue to criticize BMW until they revert to tried and true GFTs.
  • My 2011 535 is a lease that includes the sport package option. I haven't upsized anything, or purchased any aftermarket products. I've had so much damage to my tires and wheels in the last 10 months that I'm having to change my driving routes in order to avoid "rough" roads (in Los Angeles... paved roads). I'm having to drive like a pussycat! I also avoid valet parking because I'm worried that the attendant will damage the tires. I've leased many BMW's over the years. Never seen a problem like this, or even heard of a problem like this on any other car. Truly unfortunate.
    If I recall correctly you have in fact upsized the wheels. I may be confusing you with someone else, but if I recall correctly you purchased not only the Sport Package, but you also sprang for the larger wheel option. How does that not qualify as upsizing the wheels?

Just to make sure I'm not confusing your post with that from another, what wheel and tire size are you running?
  • The sport package comes only with 19' wheels, that is what my car had. Actually thinking about it the disclaimer that you speak about so often that comes on almost every wheel that BMW sells should come on the sport package option itself. " May not be suitable to drive over roads that every other car can.
  • James same problem here. Avoiding roads, and cringing every time you go over a bump. If you have not already done so, file a complaint with the NHTSA. The more complaints they receive the greater the chances are they will act on a resolution for this issue. Second if you haven't spoken with BMW customer support do so today. This will be a battle but just be direct and respectful during the conversation, insist that you meet with someone from BMW. They will most likely refer you to a dealer. Let then know that you are concerned for your safety in this vehicle. This problem is very much a safety issue. After you hang up with BMW CS, assuming that your vehicle is leased through BMW Financial, speak to a CS rep there and tell them the same thing that you are driving a BMW leased vehicle that has enormous safety concerns. They are also a party in this issue and speaking to the correct person may help you to get some action.

I think you safety is worth a few phone calls while stuck in LA traffic.
    Let me know how you make out.
    edited October 2011
    "The sport package comes only with 19' wheels, that is what my car had."

Silly me, I was looking at the BMW USA web site which indicates the Sport Package of some models of the 5-Series can be had with the following:
    - 19" Light alloy Y-spoke wheels style 315-with performance run-flat tires
    - 20" Light alloy Double-spoke wheels style 316-with performance run-flat tires

I guess you know better.

"Actually thinking about it the disclaimer that you speak about so often that comes on almost every wheel that BMW sells should come on the sport package option itself."

As far as I know, all Sport Package equipped 5-Series models come with the disclaimer regarding the low profile tires.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,445
    I've been keeping up with this forum for a while, and I am in agreement with you.

I have no doubt that many dealers fail to adequately explain the issues with low-roller tires to potential customers (as few salesfolks wish to do anything negative in the sales process), but we are talking about purchases well above the $50K range here. I know when I spend that kind of coin, I do a bit of research before-hand, so that I know EXACTLY what I am getting in on...

BMW has made it pretty clear that RFT's are its offering, so I really don't have much sympathy for one who purchases a new BMW and then realizes later it came equipped with RFT's and no spare. Like you, I would prefer BMW offer alternative tires (and at lease a place to store a space-saver spare), but the company sees differently. Since they continue to set sales records, especially in difficult economic times, it speaks volumes about how little the "important and significant" issue is to new BMW buyers.

No doubt a low-profile RFT is tougher on a wheel rim than a comparable GFT, but I can take you to a local wheel repair shop that has no shortage of work in repairing rims that were bent running GFT's, so it obviously occurs across the board...RFT's AND GFT's.

To me, the real issue being avoided is our road and highway decline. Everyone wants a smooth road and no potholes, but much fewer are willing to pay the road taxes required to keep our roads in the shape needed. Its an age-old problem.

I think its human nature to want to blame someone else for bad things that happen to us, and in these particular cases, its easier to blame BMW for bent wheels than to accept responsibility for buying a product that needs an extra amount of "attention to detail" when being used in order to avoid damage.

So, the comment another poster wrote about BMW needing to state a warning that BMW wheels may sustain damage on roads that will cause no damage to any other manufacturer's wheels/tires rings hollow for me...
  • No, I didn't upsize the wheels. I know there are other James's on this thread. Perhaps you did confuse me with a different James. I ordered the basic Sport Package. Nothing else.
    Having been a huge BMW fan and consistent owner for so many years, I must say that I'm very sad about this whole thing. Knowing how conservatively I drive, and where I drive, I still maintain that BMW should be taking responsibility for this problem.
  • I took your advice and contacted BMW Customer Service. Had some very lengthy and polite conversations. Bottom line: they claim there has not been a higher number of tire/wheel complaints since they have been equipping their cars with RFT's and larger wheels. I was told, therefore, that the continuous damage to my tires and wheels are the result of potholes in the street.
    For 10 months, I have been driving a car that shimmies and shakes at certain speeds. It drives me crazy. And I'm paying so much for this lease!
  • I understand the your predicament. Go back to the dealer where you leased your vehicle, and don't back down. See if they will exchange the wheels on the vehicle for 18" conventional tires. Ask them to fight the fight, I have a feeling they will be more willing to help you. I know my dealer eventually came around and assisted me.

How much longer on the lease?
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    Keep in mind that with a conventional tire, if you go with one of the kits like that from Continental, when you use it, you will also end up buying a new TPS, as the goop used to seal the hole will also gum up the TPS...that adds at least another $50 to the repair bill, plus the fee for dismounting, cleaning, patching. If anything, a runflat should help preserve a wheel as it is designed to hug and protect the rim much more than a conventional one. The biggest killer is the low-profile tires from upsized wheels.