Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Road Noise

Comments

• We have a 2008 CR-V EX-L also. The noise level is fine up to about 70mph for me. Above that and it starts getting annoying. My wife seems to be fine with it though.

We're replacing the tires soon. Hopefully having new tires will help. Don't forget to check the tire pressure. It also affects the ride and quietness.
  • ksayersksayers Posts: 59
    The net/net is that when you test drive a CR-V, be sure to take it out on a highway, asphalt and concrete... and any other roads you typically drive. If you believe its too noisy, don't buy the car. If the salesman says "its the tires" then tell him to change them to quiet tires and you will retest the vehicle. He/she won't. Concrete roads are probably the biggest issue. In theory, according to rumors, the 2013's are supposed to be "quieter" which is a good thing considering Honda has been dinged for 5-8 years, over and over and over again, about road noise by just about every review media. Odd, Toyota's are quiet. Maybe Toyota's drive on a special part of the road or.... or.... for those that think it's all wind noise, they drive in different air. Or, Honda has a problem and is sloooowly working towards a solution (hopefully so)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,702
    Our 2011 CRV is a lot quietier than our 2003 and, yes, tires make a big difference.

No store is going to change tires for a picky customer who "might" buy a CRV when they are selling every one they can get in stock.

I have had customersactually bring in meters and these people have driven Hondas and Toyotas back to back on the same roads.

Verdict? The Toyotas have been "slightly" quietier but not by much. People were actually surprised at the small difference.

If you like a soft, floaty ride you might perfer a Buick or a Toyota. There is a small noise difference but a Honda handles oh so much better.

I suppose what bothers one person is no big difference to another so if the slight difference is REALLY a problem maybe a CRV isn't for you.
  • My wife and I really wanted to fall in love with the CR-V, but after taking it up to 80 on the highway, we decided to spend another (gulp) 8 grand on the Acura RDX. Road noise.
    Wow! 8000.00 for how much quietier??

A product on the market that really works well is Dynamat. It is amazing stuff. It consists of sound absorbing pads that are installed inside the doors, wheel wells and under the car. Everyone tells me that the difference in road noise is amazing.

We think our 2011 isn't bad at all but different people are bothered by different things I suppose.
    Having to spend $8000 to get a quiet(er) vehicle is unfortunate. Honda knows how to do it (Acura). They choose not to. Reminds me of the 70MPH shudder on Pilots. Acura models... no problem. Pilots have the disease. Fix: install Acura braces on the Pilot at the exact location as the Acura. They bolt right on to the holes already in place (oddly enough....). Problem solved. Honda just started stripping off parts to cut costs. A case of unintended consequences. Strip off insulation or going to cheaper bushings and frame isolation... same thing.

I went to a Honda dealer Saturday. The CR-V is nice. Went to the Toyota dealer next door and looked at the RAV-4. The side-hinge rear is not as bothersome as I expected. Fit and finish were good. The spare on the tailgate is still unfortunate and I won't go with runflats. But it is quieter than the CR-V on the same roads (same air... both have marginal tires but going from asphalt to concrete is where the noise becomes readily apparent)

Next weekend its off to the Subaru dealer.
    edited May 2012
    That Pilot "brace" one is new to me?

Honda never stripped off any insulation. They just didn't add it in the first place. In the 14 years I sold Hondas, I can honestly say that I can count the times on the fingers of one hand when people complained about road noise.

I agree. Hondas do have a bit more road noise than some other cars do but for the masses, it isn't a problem.

I'm betting that if I were to drive a CRV and the Acura backto back with a decimal meter that the readings wouldn't be that far apart. I've had two customers actually do that!

And, nobody "had" to spend 8000.00 more to get a quietier car. That was strictly their choice. Again, what is a great big deal to some people is of little significance to the masses.
    Yes, they would simply not "add" insulation. The rear end brace was a hot topic on the Pilot board as a fix for 72MPH "shudder" that feels/sounds like wind buffeting. A dealer in Florida now has a "Pilot fix kit" consisting of the two braces (dealer name is on the Edmunds board). And, as noted, the holes exist as the support piece is duplicated on the Acura and the brace simply not applied.
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    You've been looking at the same cars as I have with the exception of the RAV-4. (I can't get by the tire issue and the fact that there's going to be a new 2013 coming along.)

I drove the new Acura RDX. (I'm driving a TL now but need to get a wagon/SUV) The RDX leaves the Subaru and CR-V in the dirt. But it's 8K more and doesn't have as much cargo space as the CR-V or the Subaru. I love the looks of the Outback and the cargo space, but I've read so many complaints about its transmission and brakes that I'm hesitating big time to buy it.

Drove the CR-V about a month ago. It was noisy and felt small and light. Please let me know what you decide. I'm feeling frustrated trying to find the right car.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Posts: 52
    How about Mazda CX-5?
  • dirigo1dirigo1 Posts: 1
    For the first six months we owned our new 2012 Honda CR-V SE, it was all quiet, no road noise at all. Recently, a very loud generator sounding noise started coming from the rear tires at higher speeds.

I took it to the Honda dealer and was diagnosed with tire chop (not rotating tires). I was only two thousand miles over. Honda would not help us. The tires are the original factory installed with 12,000 miles on them, same as the car.
  • glb5glb5 Posts: 39
    Just bought a new 2013 ex awd crv and no it is absolutely not quiet, as the road noise is terrible. The tires are Bridgestones Dueler HP Sport A/S 225 65 17 Does any one know how to fix this problem? I also drive an 2004 toyota 4 runner with Bridgestones duelers with 60000 miles and it is noticeably queiter at all speeds.
  • When the time came to change tires I bought Michelin Latitude Tour's. Great tire for a CR-V. Now all I hear is the engine noise. :)
  • Tires may make a difference. Are the Bridgestones the original tires or was this a "upgrade". CRV's (and Hondas in general) have a very bad rep for road noise. Some attribute it to wind noise but can't explain why the "wind" is so much louder on concrete rather than asphalt... (read: it's not). Net/net: you may try tires but, unless you want to pay someone $2.5k to tear apart your interior and install noise insulation, you are stuck. Honda engineers are way behind Toyota and others on this. ALWAYS test drive a Honda on concrete highways. Hope it works out...
  • Did you call the dealership back? Complain to them?

I bought a 2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD and is noticing noise when driving above 45 MPH. I have made an appointment with the dealership and have them check it out. If it is just tire problem and not mechanical, we, as consumers, shouldn't have to suck up to such a bad choice made by Honda. =(
  • Anyone had any problems with the Continental tires on 2012 models? About 4500 miles on mine and I'm starting to hear a noise starting at about 40 mph , that sounds like you are running over the rumble strip. Coasting, accelerating, steady speed , 5th gear, 3rd gear or neutral doesn't change the noise. Going to the dealer after the holidays. I can't wait to hear them say "They all make that noise."
  • Update
    Dealer kept car about two hours and said left front wheel bearing is bad. Said they have had several on 2012 CRV and Accords. They ordered it and I'll get it installed tomorrow.
  • snukesnuke Posts: 81
    I, too, have a 2012 CRV with the same mileage. I haven't had any problems thus far but your post really has me concerned. This is my 3rd Honda but my 1st CRV (other 2 were Accords). I have had success with my previous Honda's and I hope my good luck continues. I will definitely keep reading these posts. Thanks so much for your information.
  • Update

Had new bearing installed today. Took about two hours. Made a tremendous difference in noise. Apparently it was making more noise than the rumble that alerted me.
  • btl05btl05 Posts: 1
    Knowledgeable input much appreciated....

Is it just me, or has Honda gone with a much cheaper stereo system in the CRV? Drove the EX-L a few days ago and it didn't sound as good as my 10 year old Civic EX. Is it the stereo, my ears or what? Granted I heard just the radio on the test drive so I imagine a cd would sound better, but none the less I was very disappointed in the lack of beef in what I thought was the top stereo upgrade in an EX-L.

This may sound silly but the factory stereo is of great importance to me. I spend 95% of my car time on an 8 hour run from the east coast to Ohio, then back a few days later. It's rough but the upside is that this is when I get to listen to a lot of music (cd's).

Happy '95 and '03 Civic owner but still weighing the CRV, Mazda CX5, Rav4.
    mac134...Did the mechanic explain how a bearing could need replacing on such a new vehicle with such low mileage?
  • I didn't get to talk to the mechanic. The service manager just said they had a few failures. I asked, could I expect the other side to fail and she said probably not, but if you hear a different noise, bring it in. Its kind of funny. In 1990 I bought a new Accord from the same dealer and a CV joint started making a noise at about 4000 miles. They fixed it and I never had another problem. The service manager gave the same explanation, they had had a few failures. But the good news is they fixed it in both instances, no questions.
    Thanks for the update.
  • I currently have an 07 TL, and have test-driven the new 2013 RDX - nice, but pricey and not THAT quiet (not as quiet as I'd hoped). I'm also looking at the CR-V EX-L. I've been a honda/acura guy for 30 years and appreciate their reliability and operation, and don't want to have to consider other brands but ... I want to pay $30k or less for something like the CRV, and want it to be reasonably quiet. ANY car in this class will have sufficient power and handling for me, so the noise is the biggest factor (along with interior fit/finish/appearance/comfort). I've heard that the RAV-4 is on the 'utilitarian' side inside. The Mazda CX-5 is pushing its sportiness, which generally translates to stiffer, noisier ride. What else is out there worth considering?

Note - I was never thrilled by my 07 TL noise levels; I replaced the original tires after 40k miles and put on some very quiet tires (Turanza Serenity), but after about 30k miles they turned REALLY noisy and ended up going back to OEM tires. Acuras, at least, don't do well with non-OEM tires I discovered.
  • Looked at some relative quietness rankings for small SUVs (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/new-cars-25k-to-35k.htm) and the RDX comes out on top along with the Ford Escape and the GMC Terrrain (RDX = 7, CR-V = 5, Escape = 6/7, Terrain = 6/7 ), although the latter two depend on you choosing the proper engine.
  • I looked at the site you linked, but I could not see any way to focus on 'quietness rankings'.

I test drove the CR-V EX-L again today, a week after the RDX. It really wasn't bad, mainly higher pitch 'wind-like' noise around 80mph. I thought 'road noise' was quite well handled. I'm guessing the wind noise is due to the large rearview mirrors and roofrack, etc. I'm not ready to play roulette with a Ford or Chevy, I'm afraid, so I'll probably go with the CR-V ...

What occurred to me last night was this ... I have read that some cars (RDX, Buick Enclave) are using 'active noise cancelation' (ANC) to quieten their cabins. This is, to me, a great idea. I've use Bose ANC headphones on planes and such and they do wonders to block out the mundane 'drone' of engine, A/C, etc. I was wondering if there are variations on this that can be applied to cars as an after-market solution ... probably not due to the need for careful placement of microphones, etc. But something worth thinking about. I also wondered if it would work to use ANC headphones in the car ...
  • Go to the web site identified. Pick a vehicle. On left hand side of the vehicle's first page, choose "Road Test". On the road test page for the vehicle scroll down until you see the noise level category. It also provides a rationale for the rating. For example, for the RDX it said the vehicle was somewhat noisy during acceleration, but had very low noise levels when cruising.
  • What tires do you recommend for the CR-V to reduce road noise? My mother just bought a 2013 CR-V EX-L and she didn't notice the road noise while test driving the car but now says the road noise is killing her ears. I told her to look at changing out tires.
  • mac134mac134 Posts: 9
    I have heard that Michelin Defender's are quiet
  • We have a 2008 CR-V EX-L and also had tire noise problems with the cheap OEMs. When the time came for their replacement I switched to Michelin Latitude Tour tires. Took the vehicle on a 700 mile trip and the difference was amazing - at 75 mph the CR-V was quieter than my MDX. Now 2+ years later I still don't really hear the tires much, don't even think about them most days.