Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala traction control light & engine light

2»

Comments

• rpeckiorpeckio Posts: 3
    I have read the comments here and this problem has occurred with my 2010 Impala multiple times as well. First I had the wheel bearing fixed. Then I had the gas pedal cleaned where the throttle position sensor is. Then I replaced the throttle body. GM dealer says none of this is covered under powertrain. I am having this brought back to a GM mechanic for the fourth time. If this is not a small fix at this point, I am through. I would rather pay the loan off than continue to dump money in to an unreliable vehicle. I am through buying American cars, my prior Ford Explorer gave me all sorts of problems.
  • tjk7tjk7 Posts: 1
    turn your wheels to the left right, undo the abs sensor clip and then cover the end with electrical tape, voila no more traction control
  • rpeckiorpeckio Posts: 3
    I wish I was handy in that regard Winny. I called up to GM Corporate and they had no interest in that the car has been at the mechanic 4 times in the past month for the same issue, and is a 2010. They asked why I did not bring the car to Chevy Service. Well, I told them I had each code read and each time I called the code in to service, it was not covered under powertrain warranty. I stated why would I bring it to Chevy service and get ripped off on price when I can just bring it to a local GM mechanic for 15 years I trust. They had no concern for my vehicle. The Chevy customer service is as faulty as the parts they put in their vehicles. They should be ashamed of themselves.
  • jwc1951jwc1951 Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    Really!!!! I have a 2006 impala, bought it new, took very good care of it, all scheduled maint plus some completed on time. I always had a chevy or a pontiac. Some were very good others were just ok. This 2006 has just turned 50,000 miles. It is without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned. The muffler rusted out at 30,000 miles, not covered over 3 years old. Then coolant by-pass tube and water pump, not covered over 3 years old. Then heater/ac control door motor, not covered. Then acc pedal control module, not covered. Then the power seat went out. Now I have a body control module blown out due to a power spike from the cooling fan. Really!!! All these afflictions with the exception of the muffler have GM service bullitens so they know there is a problem. GM cust care is eye wash only, they really don't care. 2014 Chevy impala? I think ill pass on this one. I need a break
  • I have an 08 impala reduce engine power light came on traction light and engine I contacted customer service at gm ...no recall its my problem I need to fix it with so many complaints on this issue there should be a recall I am very up set dont have money to take to dealer to put on machine100.00 then another 400+ for repairs im clearly done with gm
  • we3st3we3st3 Posts: 1
    This is the 5th time I have had my 2006 Chevy impala in the shop, I have had it exactly one year and 2 months, I have a traction control & engine light on and I keep getting no answer from 3 different shops why it is on. All computer checks won't give them the proper codes to fix the problem. I feel so unsafe in my car I have had it in the shop more than I have driven the car. No one including GM has no answers. I have no trust in Chevy. All the problems is so sad that they put us at risk. I think GM should recall this problem before someone gets hurt or killed by Chevy. Please fix before I have no money left and no car running.
  • I have had this problem multiple times as well.. I have spent well over $3000 fixing a 2008 Chevy Impala SS.. makes me not want to even buy another GM car ever.. Now today.. Service Stabiltrack light comes on.. smh.. whats next?

• I'm having problem with my 2009 Chevy Impala 3.5L. I've had this car for 3 years and no major problems till a few months ago. This started happening around 5 months ago At first it was the engine power reduced I Fix this myself by replacing the Accelerator Pedal Sensor, now the traction control light and then the check engine light started coming on and the engine would start losing power. I'm not sure wants wrong with is now

• I am glad to see I am not the only person having this issue. I have a 2009 Impala LTZ with 103,000 miles. The first time it happened my car had been parked at work all day. I started it up and went to pull out of parking spot when service traction control came over display and car started shaking. I stopped, turned car off and sat. It started up fine with no issues just check engine light on and drive with no issues. I thought maybe because it was so cold that was the issue. Well today a week later I left my house with no issues while driving 55mph it displayed service traction control, engine power reduced, check engine light came on and then shut down. Fortunately I was somewhere I could pull off the road. I sat there for about 5 minutes and started it up and the entire car shook. I turned the car back off and waited 5 more minutes. I started car again with no issues and check engine light was off. I made it about 3 miles and did it again. I now sit waiting for a tow truck and a ride because when I start car it just shakes. I now scared to drive my vehicle to work as I commute 50 miles each way and cannot afford to be stranded. Luckily I don't have my kid today with me as its 21 outside and I'm sitting on the side of the road.
  • atandt3katandt3k Posts: 2

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala, I bought it used with 42k at a local dealership. At 45k the Service traction control Reduced Engine power alarm came on. The dealership changed the accelerator pedal, the problem went away until 80K. It was sporadic, only occuring when it rained. I took it to a new car dealer and they said it was the Throttle body sensor. I replaced 3 throttle bodies, the first being the original, and the other two due to none of the local dealers knowing that it had to be programmed. I took it to Arnell Automotive group in Chesterton, IN and they programmed it for me, the Service Mananger Mike was awesome in looking up the information. After 5000k the problem came back, again in the rain. I found the wiring harness was on top of the engine mount bolt. I moved it and checked the wires and did not find any damaged. I taped it with high temp, corrosive resistant tape. It helped for 200 miles then it came again. Again in the rain. None of the dealers no why and whats wrong with it. Now its starting to do it in snow, and when I don't drive the car for 24hrs and it sits in the drive way. In the drive way it trips the code when you start the car without the car moving. The codes I get are P2176, and P2138. BTW even with the traction control off, I hit a icy spot in the road at 30mph and it shut the car down. The car has become VERY DANGEROUS. Chevy help!

• My wife's '06 Impala LT 3.9L has a "Service Traction Control" message that comes on every time one of her front wheels spins, even slightly on ice or snow. The car then loses power and the shifting feels very grabby. Turn the car off for a minute and it's like it never happened. We bought this car new and have had it back to the dealership, at last count, 19 times for a plethora of problems, usually warranting a rental car. That's why I just bought an Audi.

• I've sent an email to gm about the traction control and check engine light they told me to get a diagnostic but it would cost me but I've already paid for this test. I wonder if this is just a run around but I will go to see wht comes of this. It really should be a recall on this issue. I really think it's a faulty PCM...
  • nscipionscipio Posts: 1

I was driving today and the traction light came on and the car completely shut down on me on the interstate. SO NOT SAFE!! I have read several comments on here and we all have the same issues. I have also read the replies from "supposedly" GM Customer care representatives and the replies suck. GM needs to be ashamed of themselves selling issues like this.. We went from transmission problems to traction problems and vehicles shutting down on us while driving. I live in Georgia and this is the first time this has happened to me. Luckily I was in the right lane and could get off the interstate onto the shoulder. What happens next time if I can't and someone slams into my car? Will GM finally step up and find out what the issue is and repair the problem or wait on a big lawsuit after someone is killed when their car shut off in traffic on the interstate. I don't need to send a VIN number, the year of my car or anything to customer service. WE WANT ANSWERS AS TO WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THESE DEATH TRAPS!!

• munson64munson64 Posts: 1

For about over a year I have had issues the traction control with my 2010 Impala, every dealership I called basically told me that it was am issue with the "wheel bearings " ,well I had them all fixed and still have the same issue.. It got so bad that even on dry land the car would jerk and the traction control would kick in when I accelerate after a red light to green light and one time I almost got rear ended. Eventually I smartened up and just turned off the TC manually every time I turned on the car on , but what about my wife who forgets?. GM really needs to do something about this issue because not everyone has money to fix these defects that are not even the consumer's fault!! I have owned many GM vehicles but after reading other comments and reading the recent news I am really considering trading in for a another make!!

• rerwin1rerwin1 Posts: 1

I also am having the issue with the traction control. I have a 2009 Chevy Impala. It happens mostly when it is wet. It will say service traction control, disabling throttle and will at times shut my car down even on the free way. It will only allow me to go 30/40 and then eventually shut it down. I wait a few minutes and start it up again and take off. This has been happening for a few years now. I called GM today and yes they assured me a dealership could fix and referred me to the one I already took it to. How many people are having this issue?

• taj95taj95 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the traction control and the engine reducing power.why is the power train warranty not covering this issue.I have read tons of reviews and 06 to 10 models are having the same problem.My 09 impala stopped on the freeway totally shut down.This is ridiculous and i will be talking to my lawyer. Gm is responsible and there should be a recall.How can this issue be resolved Gm ?
  • kc65kc65 Posts: 1

I had the same problem everyone else on the last two pages have been happening. I was coming home from work during 5 o'clock rush hour and the reducing engine power traction control came on and I went from 73 to 40 in a matter of seconds with almost a pile up. I had to get over two lanes and stop on the side of the road. I had to wait 30 minutes until the car decided to clear itself and this happened two more times before I could get it home. If this many people are having this many problems, why does GM have to wait until people die before they provide a recall. My daughter is currently driving a 2009 Cobalt and we are waiting for the dealership to call us that the parts have arrived for that recall, but people had to die to get that one. I have never owned a foreign car and never will, but GM's loyalty should be as strong as mine.

• butler28butler28 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 Chevy Impala LS last Yr June 2013 from an Older Lady who Barely drove it... At the time of the Purchase the Car had 43,000 miles on it... It Now has 50,000... I've been having Problems with the Traction Control System activating when it shouldn't... Also when pulling out into traffic there's this grinding sound that sounds like the Brakes are grinding against something... It's really Weird... My ABS Light comes on in my Car and won't go off now... I need Help and any Opinions that anyone can Spare... Car drives really Good just not sure how to go about addressing these Problems...
  • scotty98665scotty98665 Posts: 1

I am having to same issue also. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala with about 103,000 miles on it. The traction control device light came on yesterday afternoon along with the engine light and it stated reduced engine power. I am currently awaiting Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville, In to contact me regarding an appointment on Saturday, today is Thursday. I attempted to call them as soon as I got home yesterday.

2»