Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala traction control light & engine light

13»

Comments

• While driving my 2009 Chevrolet impala at about 35 mph, my car instantly reduced speed and the traction control and powered reduced to engine light displayed. My car reduced speed to about 10 mph and I couldn't accelerate anymore. I began coasting. I drove directly to the dealership and was charged $400 to "fix" the problem.
  • rphill08rphill08 Clarkston MIPosts: 6
    That figures the dealer charged $400. and the same repair cost me $250. at a local certified repair facility.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,501
    rphill08 said:

That figures the dealer charged $400. and the same repair cost me $250. at a local certified repair facility.

I think it may depend on what repair was done, I have seen about 5 different causes for reduced engine power message and resulting additionnal messages it creates

I had my accelerator pedal sensor replaced to resolve this issue.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,226
    rphill08 said:

I had my accelerator pedal sensor replaced to resolve this issue.

Did you receive our private message, rphill08? Please feel free to let us know if you have any further concerns.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • lundy48lundy48 Posts: 1
    This happened to me this morning. Tomorrow my wife is being induced and today my car does this. But from what I've been reading, no one says anything about the car not starting afterwards. My car wont start, just a loud clicking noise when i try to start it. Anyone have any ideas? Im charging the battery at the moment in hopes this will work.
    I have not had an issue with it not starting, just no acceleration. Now I have another issue this vehicle. The key is stuck in the ignition and nothing I've tried will help. This runs down the battery. Repair shop said it may be the ignition module needs replacing $400 - $600. GM does not make them like they used to. Looking into other makes that are reliable.
    rphill08 said:

I have not had an issue with it not starting, just no acceleration. Now I have another issue this vehicle. The key is stuck in the ignition and nothing I've tried will help. This runs down the battery. Repair shop said it may be the ignition module needs replacing $400 - $600. GM does not make them like they used to. Looking into other makes that are reliable.

There should be a wy to get the key out I believe, little cover over something on the steering column perhaps. Remove that and something like a pen or other pointy thing inserted and pushed down should allow key to be taken out. The stuck condition may be due to a number of things besides the ignition module
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,226
    lundy48 said:

This happened to me this morning. Tomorrow my wife is being induced and today my car does this. But from what I've been reading, no one says anything about the car not starting afterwards. My car wont start, just a loud clicking noise when i try to start it. Anyone have any ideas? Im charging the battery at the moment in hopes this will work.

Hi Lundy48,

Very sorry for this! We understand how unsettling this may seem, and we would be more than happy to provide any additional assistance. Please send us an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com and include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • stephb2stephb2 Posts: 4
    I am having this same issue with my 2009 Impala now (Traction control/reduced power/engine light). I also just had it repaired two weeks ago because I could not turn the key all the way to the off position and could not remove the key. The dealer said it was a broken wire from ignition to the shifter.
    Key stuck in ignition. I fixed it myself by removing the center shift console. There was a disconnected yellow wire found on the wire harness to the right of the shifter. I reconnected it and I was then able to remove the key from the ignition.
  • ranger1108ranger1108 Posts: 3
    Everyone who has this problem needs to file a complaint with the National Highway and Traffic Safety Institute (NHTSA) If enough complaints are filed, something WILL happen. Forget GM, they already have your money and are not interested in fixing the issue.
  • ranger1108ranger1108 Posts: 3
    I have spent over $1,000.00 on this issue and it has not helped. New throttle body, new accelerator position sensor, new wiring clip to throttle body, and more. Still have problem. Car just shuts off. Told my wife that if something happens to me because of this, sue them for as much as you can get.

I have spent over $1,000.00 on this issue and it has not helped. New throttle body, new accelerator position sensor, new wiring clip to throttle body, and more. Still have problem. Car just shuts off. Told my wife that if something happens to me because of this, sue them for as much as you can get.

You must have quite a laundry list of codes coming up to do all that without results , what are they?

• phllyd04phllyd04 Posts: 1
    I see I'm not the only one with this issue.  Over the past few years I have spent several thousand dollars replacing different items to try and address this same issue, just picked it up from the dealership where I had it fixed to the tune of $1,000 and on the way home today it did it again!!  I was inches from getting into a serious accident on the highway.  I called Chevy customer service and should be receiving a call back in a few days.  I guess I will just not go to work until they decide to permanently fix this issue!  This will be my last Chevy after years of loyalty and several car purchases.
  • gkelly817gkelly817 Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem out of my 2009 Chevy impala....looked on here to see if I could get a start on how to go about fixing the problem....no luck...this is my second impala. Starting not to like Chevy anymore....where is the recall
  • wwang71wwang71 Posts: 1
    My 06 impala got "Service Traction Control" message most of times on slippery road and a few times on dry land. Nowadays the car would jerk when I accelerate after a red light to green light.

I got so many problems with the car: 2 wheel bearings, air blower actuator, door lock actuator...
    It's just feel unsafe to drive a Chevy.
  • linda00 said:

When I am driving on (usually) wet or slippery pavement the traction control light will go off in tandem with engine light. The messages will alternately read service traction control and reduced engine power. Upon turning the car off for a while, the traction control light will be off when the car is re-started but the engine light will stay on for a day or so and then go off. It is a 2010 Impala that I bought at a dealership that was a rental car. Is anyone else having this problem and did they get it resolved? The dealership can't seem to find the problem.

• Hello, New user here, I read this whole conversation on Tuesday. I saw all the symptoms you guys were having, they looked familiar to mine. I promptly went to support.gm.com there i found a 1800 number, told the lady what was going on, she asked me my last eight of my vin, and she put me on hold for a few minutes, when she came back she said that this will be covered by Chevy for 120k miles or 10 years. She said the dealership will call me to set an appointment. I took my 2010 Impala to the dealership today, the mechanic ran the codes, and ordered the part, and it is the gas pedal, which will be replaced at no cost to me on Monday.

GET IT FIXED FOR FREE!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, Mike
  • sammietc3sammietc3 Posts: 1
    Hi,     just like most of it you on here,  I have issues with my 2008 Impala SS, bought it Feb 2014, Car Fax showed no issues, that only routine oil changes were performed, got it with 84k on it,  at 86k I had the transmission replaced,  the car just stopped moving.  At 120k I had to have the power steering hose fixed,  it just started leaking..  Now at 139k I have the same transmission problems,  this time though we found a broken seal.. Car now shifts,  but still shifts hard. .  My impala is supposed to be 4/8 cylinder but only seems to be running in 8 cylinder mode.. Fuel mileage has declined drastically.  Changing spark plugs as I type this,  hopefully I fix something.. Love this car, but not sure it will last the life of my loan..  Disappointed..  Dealerships are no help... 

• blancaer13blancaer13 Posts: 1
    I've been having the same problems with traction control, service engine, reduced engine power and two months ago it also shut down on the interstate (2009 Impala). GM sent service notice to repair but it limited the mileage to 120,000.  I have 134,000 so it doesn't cover my car.  Since GM doesn't call it a recall, the repair is up to me.  I didn't cause this problem and it apparently is widespread, so shouldn't they be proactive or are they gonna wait to go before Congress again and try to say they had no knowledge these problems were widespread.  It's only a matter of time before someone gets killed when the car shuts down on the freeway. It will happen.  Very very disappointed in GM. We've been Chevy owners all our lives but are really thinking twice about our next purchase.
  • jaltongallojaltongallo Posts: 3
    Dealers only make so much when they sell you are a car, 10-20%. The real money is made off of fixing problems with your car, I have relatives who are General Managers at Chevy and they laugh about all the thousands of dollars they make off of stupid idiot people bringing their cars in.
    WARNING MOST PARTS THAT WE ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH ARE MADE IN CHINA

THANKS GEORGE BUSH
    ALSO GO TO YOUTUBE AND THEY WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO INSTALL NEW ACCELERATOR POSITION SENSOR......CAN BE PURCHASED AT ROCKAUTO.COM FOR LESS THAN $90.00
13»