Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4.6 v8

sms4sms4 Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Mercury
1994 cougar 4.6 v8. tuned-up,75k miles,stock except for throttle-body. pings on 87 octane-why? wasn't this car designed to fun on this octane?

Comments

• bnormannbnormann Posts: 335
    ...it may develop carbon deposits that will retain enough heat to ignite the fuel-air mixture prematurely. Of course, this is only one of 10,000 reasons for pre-ignition, so YMMV.

Bruce
  • corlt1corlt1 Posts: 29
    I have a 4.6L V8 in a 94 T-Bird that also pinged on everything but premium. After an alternator failure set a Service Engine Soon light, the SES light came back on a few weeks later. The dealer asked me why I run 93 octane premium fuel when it's supposed to run off 87 octane regular. I explained, "To avoid the ping". The dealer downloaded a new program into the ECM computer and it's been running fine on 87 regular for the past few years without a hint of ping. On the bad side, I don't think the engine idles as smooth as it did before and the wide open throttle power is not as strong as it was before, either.
This discussion has been closed.
4.6 v8 - Car Forums at Edmunds.com