Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3 Lease Questions

Comments

• kpjkpj Posts: 6
    Thank you Car_man for your response. It was the 36 month 15,000 mile leases that I was referring to.

Are these the same numbers for the month of October on 2008 models? Also, are they still offering the premium package reductions or any other incentives to help move the '08's?
  • No problem, kpj. BMW actually just enhanced its October lease program for 2008 models on Friday. BMW Financial Services' new buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 X3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00125 and 62%, respectively. Some '08 models still have free options available on them, but I don't think that the X3 is one of them.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • kpjkpj Posts: 6
    thanks again. can you give me the lease rates on the X5? 36 months. 15,000 miles.
  • No problem kpj. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 X5 3.0si with 15,000 miles per year are .00125 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • kev6873kev6873 Posts: 11
    Can someone please explain to me why I shouldnt do an Owners Choice versus a lease? I live in Illinois and if I do plan on possibly buying the car, I would have to pay 7.5% sales tax...TWICE. The owners choice is like a balloon of some sorts if I understand it correctly. What are the drawbacks to it? Can someone please help me decide?

I am looking at a 2008 X3. My payments would be 393 (after trade in of an owners choice that weve had for 2 months but dont like the car) with a lease with the .00125 program, 10k miles or 422 a month with the owners choice at 12k miles. Residual is 60.5%. The car has 9900 miles on it.
  • Here is the lease deal from my BMW dealer.

Good / OK / Not the best / Don't do it / RUN

New X3 (Premium, Sport and Cold weather packages)
    3-years/10k
    $5000 down
    $377 month

Dealer price on X3: $44,450
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,497
    1) What is the MSRP?

2) I'd say its a good deal, assuming MSRP is around $47K+

3) Roll that $5K into the lease payment.. Sure, that makes the payment about $525/mo., but the money is cheap (3%).

4) Is 10K mi/yr enough? Going to a 12K/yr lease only adds $15/mo. and another $30/mo. to go from 12K to 15K/yr..

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks. Was worried no one would respond in time. The dealership had no 08 left with the features I wanted. So their bring one in by truck from another dealership in another city. They brought it in under their dime. I saw the listing for the car I pick before the arrangement took place.

1) The MSRP was $47,500. But they came down to $44,700. I went in thinking I wanted to buy, but remembered I need a lease for business write off. So I switch to a 3 year lease.

2) Did you mean to not roll the money into the lease?

3) They are offering me a deal in the last year of the lease, if I think I'm going to be over mile, I can switch my mileage to 12K no problem, just $540. They will put that in writing. I'd rather go for low payment now and worry about mileage closer to the end.

With there zero cost of ownership, and some weariables (hat, jacket and plate holder) it really sounds like a pretty good deal.

How does this logic sound?
    I'm not a tax expert, so take this with a grain of salt...

I don't think you can take that $5K as an expense upfront, you'll have to write it off over the life of the lease, just as you would if you rolled it into the payment... I strongly encourage you to do that, as that money is at risk, if the car is totaled or stolen in the first few months of the lease.

The mileage thing is a little iffy.. Yes, you can buy mileage from BMWFS for $0.16 ea., before the lease is up... so, 6000 extra miles will be $900... No matter what they put in writing, I don't think BMWFS will go for the $540 thing... which is exactly what it will cost you to sign up for the miles in advance... I suggest you do so, if you are fairly certain you will need them.

Overall, your deal looks great.. Is $5K the total amount due at signing? Or, do you have to come up with acquisition fee, 1st payment, etc, etc, in addition to that?

regards,
    kyfdx

• yeah, I hear you. Taxes are a lovely thing. This is the third car I've leased. My accountant has cleared it in my past leases and has told me why, I just can't remember. I'll take the deduction this year because I need it.

Interesting on the mileage thing. I'm going to double check this.

5K due at signing and drive. Come on, the hat and jacket are worth $5000 alone. At lease the parts for my 95 LWT M3 are right up there.
    Really...that's a good deal..

Dealership, city and state?

I've been shopping for an X3 myself..

• :confuse: The residual will be about $29K in Feb2010. I will not have fully used all 45K miles, I only have 21K now. The real Q is should I buy and could I deal below residual. Or is it worth dumping it sooner? Just may be tiring of the truck.
  • bzeebzee Posts: 1
    Carman,

Please post 2008 Nov MF/Residual for :

2008 X3 36mth / 12K
    2008 X3 24mth / 12K

Thanks..
  • Hello
    Could someone run through the numbers for me here? I've used various online calculators and did my own equations and the numbers aren't consistent.
    '08 x3
    $45,300MSRP
    Negotiated price = 42,900
    MF = .00125
    Res = .64
    36 months at 12K miles
    tax is roughly 5.5%
  • billmvbillmv Posts: 145
    $502.39 if tax is exactly 5.5%.
  • Hi hhgolf. I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now.

Given the precipitous fall in used vehicle values over the past year, particularly for trucks, you likely find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
  • Here you go, bzee. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 X3 with 12,000 miles per year are .00125 and 72%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00125 and 64%.

Car_man
    Host
    hhgolf......I'd try to get someone to assume the lease. Go to www.swapalease.com and post your vehicle there. It's a pretty good spot to get out of a lease you no longer want. I've picked up two vehicles there.
  • Can someone let me know how much a lease is going for in Newyork on a 2008 BMW X3?
  • Hi carman, do you know the 2009 figures
    X3/36 month/12k and 15k thanks!
  • If I find a 2007 that has 10k miles on it, but never titled, sold, registered that is being sold as new from dealer, would the residual value be based on MSRP, what I actually pay for it or somewhere in between? Would the percentage be worse just the fact that it is a 2007? What about money factor? Thanks for any help.
  • I do not believe this car will qualify for any lease programs. The 2008 leases are so good I would go with those. Plus the transmission issue is likely taken care of on the 2008. Just my opinion.
  • Wasn't aware of transmission issue.

$750 above invoice good on 2008?
    True only 7% markup from invoice to MSRP?
    How much less is true cost than invoice?
  • I believe markup is 8%. Just an FYI, finalized my '08 X3 lease
    MSRP = ~45,300
    Neg. Cap Cost = 42,025
    12K miles for 36 months
    Res: 64%
    MF= 0.00125
    $1 K down (~$2k to start including first month's payment)
    $485 per month.

I can't complain too much as the '08's are getting scarce and I got most of what I wanted on the car.
  • Here you go, soonercat. According to the latest information that I have seen, BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 60%, respectively. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • Dear CarMan -

Many thanks for all of the great info you provide out here! VERY Much appreciated.

Any word on the Dec. 2008 lease numbers? Too early? In partcular, looking for 2009 BMW X3, 12K miles/year.

Also, BMW just announed that sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 36.1 percent in November for a total of 15,217 compared to 23,808 in November 2007. Year-to-date BMW brand sales were down 12.3 percent, to 231,053 vehicles compared to 263,596 vehicles sold in the same period in 2007. (Story here - http://www.forbes.com/prnewswire/feeds/prnewswire/2008/12/02/prnewswire200812021- 418PR_NEWS_USPR_____NYTU148.html)

Thanks CarMan!
  • I just got a breakdown for my lease and the dealer includes "assignment fee" for $925 - what is this? Is this marked up?

Also, he is marking up the MF at .165% - does this even make sense? Shouldn't it be .00165 regardless. Its obvious he is changing it because they sent me all four terms 24/30/36/42 months and they are all the same MF. Funny.

Any tips on negotiating the MFdown & what is an assignment fee?
    THANKS!
  • Kawakibi,

I don't know about assignment fee, maybe Carman can help. But on my last lease on X3, there was no such thing.

On the MF, a dealer I talked to said that they are allowed to mark it up by 0.0004. It adds up to about 1% more on the rate. On a typical X3 lease, that could add up to $500-600 a year. In essence they double dip on you.

My suggestion is to try to negotiate and if they won't budge, go to other dealers.
    kawakibi..........Ask your dealer if it's another name for the "bank fee." The bank fee is OK, and I think it's about $695 or $725 now on all BMW FS leases. If it's in addition to the bank fee, then it's a "bend over" fee. If it's the bank fee, just marked up, tell him you won't pay more than the BMW FS standard fee. Search recent forums here and in other BMW models to find out.

The money factor is usually the same up through 36 months. It jumps at 48. 42 I don't know about. They've probably kept it the same to 42.

You can also find out the Dec MF by searching recent posts.

Do yourself a favor and check with another dealer.
  • Thanks guys..... I think its the "Bank Fee" - they marked up the MF why wouldn't they also mark up the Bank Fee - right.

I am dealing with other dealers, but this one quoted me $80 over invoice on a 2009 328i. Of course they have a $599 Dealer Fee - plus all these mark ups. I'm thinking if I can get all these lease terms legit. I have a good deal for a 2009 BMW with Premium/comfort/ipod/integration for $37,500 - MSRP is $39,950. Not a bad discount ($2,450) for a 2009. Right?
This discussion has been closed.