Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• grn95grn95 Posts: 48
    Wow this forum is sparse... Axiom still dies out intermittently. Anyone else have this problem?
  • vashtievashtie Posts: 10
    Occassionally, a very disturbing sound occurs when the car is shifting into low gears. It sounds something like a "clump" noise as it changes gears. Is this something that is common and if so how do we fix it?

Thanks/Vashtie
  • elpmielpmi Posts: 1
    have mechanic to check the airfilter connection to the engine, the valve that opens up usually has carbon build up. just needs cleaning and a new air filter and you will be good.
  • Greg,
    I know it has been awhile since this posted, but I'm finally frustrated enough with years of banging my head on the hatch to do something about it. I was just wondering, Greg, if you found a fix for this?
  • I made the ultimate stupid mistake today when jumpstarting my 02 Isuzu Axiom. For a brief second or two, I hooked up the jumper cable to the battery BACKWARDS. I have jumped hundreds of cars in my life and never done this, but I did it today, in haste.

There was a spark. I quickly removed the cables. We jumped the car and I got it going, but the MID is nonfunctional. The radio is nonfunctional. The satellite radio add-on unit is non-functional, and the AC is stuck in FULL BLAST mode, and seems to operate on its own internal scheme.

I cannot seem to find any blown fuses. I have checked the 100A main and the 50 amp fuse, and both are fine.

The fuses on the inside ohm OK with a multimeter, and there is 12 VDC present on the right hand side of each key fuse socket on the inside fuse panel.

Again, car starts and runs OK, but "feels" different, like it is stuck in Sport Mode.

I am running out of ideas. Looking at the functional wiring diagram in the owners manual, it shows that the 100A fuse feeds the 50A fuse, and this splits into 2 pathways, one of which goes to the ignition switch, and the other goes to the 20A Acc Socket fuse and in parallel to the 15A Audio fuse. This branch appears to feed the MID (dash) display controller, the radio and the security module at the top of the dash.

My worst fears are that ALL of this equipment is now toasted garbage.

But, there are diodes in both the outside and inside fuse panels, that may be bad? Does anyone have any ideas?

My fear is that my greatest moment of stupidity may now subject me to all kinds of price gouging at the local Isuzu dealer, a place I have avoided since my last experience there in 2004.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS... I am in a jam. No jokes, please, I am heartbroken enough already.
  • Don't send out the paramedics - I found it! It was a 15A fuse that I overlooked, one called B+ Audio in the interior drivers side fuse panel, 2nd from the top on the left. This one little fuse serves the Dash MID display, the stereo, the A/C controls, the security system and the ride control circuits. Wow, I was lucky on that one - I noticed the fuse in the diagram in the manual and went back to recheck it and found I had somehow missed it the first time I checked the interior fuses. Man, if that fuse hadn't blown, I would have been out thousands to get it fixed.

All is well again. Sort of.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I found it!

Whew! I like good endings. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Purchased the car in Sept for $5,400
    It is not 4 Wheel Drive, I prefer that for Califonia Hwys
    Milage was 70,000
    I have since put 10,000 miles on the car.
    What I notice is that when the car is cold in the morning, it revs past
    1300 RPM and then eventually after 2 min, settles below 750 RPM after it warms up. The noise is a lot otherwise really no issues.
    The Door Rubber Gaskets are terrible. Superglue, Gorrila Glue, dont know what to use. I have changed the oil myself, the car is high up, its easy. I notice oil gets dirty at about 3900 Miles to 4,500 miles. I was using synthetic but have switched to regular 10-30 oil now. Direct Injection means high compression, so not sure how dirty the chamber gets because of this.

I drive freeway speeds about 70% of time and have managed to get 20.7 Miles to the gallon. ( I have removed the HEAVY spare tire in the back to lighten the LOAD.)

I anticipate having Amco service the transmission soon and will have someone do the timing belt in next 10,000 miles.
    For the money its a fine car, no major issues.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    Oil gets pretty dark pretty quick in normal use, so I don't know if you can tell much of anything about it just by looking at it. The Dark Oil Myth. It's supposed to hold "dirt" in suspension.

You may want to get an oil analysis sometime and see what the lab says about your oil and engine. They cost around $20.
  • tomagtomag Posts: 3
    I noticed this would happen to my 2002 whenever I engaged the transmission before all the check lights went out. Since waiting for a half a minute I haven't had the problem. Hope it's as easy as that.
  • The clunking sound is a very common problem with the 02 Isuzu Axiom. Mine had it, most do have it; and when I took it to the dealer under warranty around 40K miles, they denied it was a problem. I disagree, because it was happening all the time, and was especially noticable when it was downshifting automatically to lower gears, like when slowing for a stop light.

Some info online indicates that the problem is related to lubrication of the drive shaft, but I am not sure that this is true.

I do know that I had my Axiom serviced at a quality shop, where they changed the differential fluid and installed synthetic transmission fluid (this around 70K miles) and the problem almost never happens now. So, I do suspect it is a common Axiom problem and that what I had done helped, so it is likely the tranny fluid if anything.

Keep in mind that the tranny fluid is almost unservicable from a user's perspective. There is no dipstick; there is a tiny porthole on the side of the tranny to fill it by, but no real way to look at it without having the car on the rack, so it's best to take it to a shop to get this service done.
  • 04 Isuzu axiom, my check engine light keeps coming on (Check engine light reads bad O2 sensors bank 2 . There is also a rich odor coming from my exhaust). I changed 4 O2 sensors and sparks plugs, check engine light turned off but came back on shortly after...same problem reads on the computer. If anybody has any info or can lead me the right way please let me know. Dealership has informed me that it may be the air mass flow sensor.
    :mad:
  • My 2004 Isuzu Axiom 2WD (41000 mi.); started to make noise just before the car stops (last 20-25 ft.) The noise is coming from the back, so I thought my rear breaks needed to be replaced. Then, however, I decided stopping and putting transmission into neutral, and the noise dissapeared (while I was depressing brake). So my brakes are probably fine.

Next I replaced the oil in the rear axle, but it didn't help. This is weird because the car doesn't make noise any other time; the car makes noise only last few feet before stopping (when braking), but there's no noise if I stop in neutral (and pressing brake).
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    Tranny is downshifting from 2nd to 1st and it must be making that noise. Service your transmission and/or check the fluid level, and if that doesn't help... then may heaven help you :) 2004 had a nice Japanese transmission with a dipstick, so you're probably ok.
  • Thanks, I pumped out about one liter of excess transmission fluid, but the noise is still there (however, it seems to be better). I will take the car to dealership next week.
  • If you have not already resolved this problem, it would help if you could post the CEL codes you are getting. If you go to your local Autozone store they will loan you the OBDC SCAN tool and plug it in and give you the trouble codes. If you can post them here, then that will shed a lot of light on your problem. Might have saved you the need to replace some of the O2 sensors. I have a copy of the Technical Service Manual and can easily look up the info on this problem with the code.
  • Here is an excerpt from the 2002 Isuzu Axiom Technical Service Manual, listing the assorted causes of transmission noise. I did not find your exact scenario. This info appears in a 3 column table, so the formatting is all messed up, but hopefully still readable.

Chart 14: Possible Causes Of Transmission Noise

CAUTION: Before checking transmission for what
    is believed to be transmission noise, ensure
    presence and positioning of insulating plugs, pads
    etc. Also make sure that noise does not come from
    other drivetrain components.

Condition // Possible cause // Correction

Whine or Buzz // Oil level low // Fill with ATF, check for external
    leaks.

Whine or Buzz //Plugged or restricted oil filter // Inspect oil filter. // Replace oil filter or ATF as necessary.

Whine or Buzz //Damaged oil filter gasket // Replace oil filter gasket.

Knocking noise from front of transmission //Loose bolts (Converter to flex plate) // Tighten to specifications.
    transmission.

Knocking noise from front of transmission
    // Cracked or broken flex plate // Replace flex plate.

Knocking noise from front of transmission// Converter damaged // Replace converter.

Knocking noise while driving, mostly on acceleration.//
    Transmission mount loose or broken // Tighten mount bolts or replace
    transmission mount.

Knocking noise while driving, mostly on acceleration. //Cooler line mounts loose or broken //Tighten or replace cooler line mounts.

Knocking noise while driving, mostly on acceleration.// Cooler lines touching body or frame // Repair or replace as necessary.

Knocking noise when vehicle is stationary //Loose flex plate mounting bolts //Tighten to specifications.

Knocking noise when vehicle is stationary // Cracked or broken flex plate //Replace flex plate.

Knocking noise when vehicle is stationary //Damaged converter //Replace converter

Other tranny problems can be caused by high line pressure, low line pressure, dirty tranny filter, or a defective trans. component, some of which can be repaired or replaced without having to replace the entire transmission.

You did not mention if the Check Trans Light comes on, which is important. I assume not, or you would have mentioned it, and it would have logged a trouble code. But, the problem may still be covered by the powertrain warranty, if you are the original owner.
  • Why did I get suckered into buying this crap ?
    They have good stats on HP & Torque but some "experts" at certain consumer sites completely missed out on what a LEMON this brand is. You have to be BRAIN DEAD to buy anything made by ISUZU. Sorry but this is coming from am OWNER and RESEARCHER who knows that ISUZU is company that is better off dead.
  • Ha! I see you haven't moved past the toddler egocentric phase, my friend... Isuzu is not dead; I see other well-known brands on life and taxpayer support but Isuzu is still #1 in commercial trucks and doing quite well.

Personally, I truly appreciate my 2002 Trooper I bought new and it's been bulletproof so far. Unless you bought your Axiom new and maintained it well you should probably call up the previous owners and spill your hate, man.
  • I know this has been up before, but can anyone give me step by step instructions on removing the drivers seat, and move it back about 6 inches for better leg room. At it's current position, it not enough room, and I'm cramped.

Thanks

Von