Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 350 Driving Experiences and Problems

Comments

• The exhaust note on the 2010 is definitely louder than on the previous generation RX. What's irritating for me is when I'm stopped at a stop light and the gear is in drive. The exhaust note is noisy and the vibration throughout the vehicle drives me nuts! Sometimes when I'm at a stop light, I'll put the gear in neutral, and then it gets more quiet, more like my '07 RX was. I wonder if there's anything that can be done to muffle the sound a little bit???
  • caesar2caesar2 Posts: 1
    Any luck with your rear hatch noise?

My hatch makes a noise (driver side only,) opening and closing.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Try using your foot to raise the idle RPM just a slight bit.

A (too) low idle speed will sometimes result in the engine lopping and the associated vibrations.

Lexus may have also made a bit of a compromise in idle speed in favor of a slight FE improvement. I'm continually amazed at the little things (lower volume ATF sump...{***}) that are being done in the name of FE, but I suppose when you add up the gain from ALL of those little things.....

*** SEALED transaxles: Fill level is now too critical, plus OR minus, to allow the average DIY ready/easy access, and most certainly so for the low hourly pay McD flipper graduates that most dealers use for routine (maintainance) tasks.

Then again it may just be the beancounters, less ATF for the factory fill and lower metal content for the muffler(s), or maybe even one less muffler. Note that lower exhaust restriction might also improve FE.

Could it be both...?
  • cwaynecwayne Posts: 81
    I have had my rx for a year and half and went through the engine noise thing with dealer. (sounds like what we called tappet noise years ago) It is normal for this car. Other than that my car has been perfect.
  • It sounds to me that the little hitch you feel is the telescoping function momentarily stopping while the starter motor is engaged. The starter is by far the largest draw on a vehicle's electrical system. The momentary voltage drop when the starter engages is probably enough to stop the power telescoping function from working. If it doesn't happen to other vehicles, it may be that your battery is old enough that it doesn't pack the punch it did when it was new. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't start the car until the steering wheel has done its thing and moved to the correct position.
  • dysdys Posts: 11
    That seems to make sense and helps to ease my concern. Thanks.
  • There is a wave/distortion when looking out the front windshield. It is noticeable when sitting in the car and extremely noticeable when standing outside the car standing next to the front door and looking thru the windshield. Has anyone experiences this issue? The car is brand new
  • isashinisashin Posts: 1
    I HAVE THE SAME CAR WITH 15,000 MILES.
    ALSO HAVE SAME PROBLEM WITH FRONT BUMPER. LEXUS REPLACED BUMPER THREE TIME AND THE GAP RETURNED 3 TIMES. I AM IN CONTACT WITH LEXUS BUT NO RESOLUTION TO DATE. PLEASE STAY INTOUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE RESOLVED PROBLEM
  • klee3klee3 Posts: 55
    edited July 2011
    When I set the ventilated seat to maximum cooling on my 2011 RX350, I do not feel any cool air coming out from the driver's seat. It is quite different when compared to driver's seat at the same setting. I took it to Lexus to get it checked out when I took it in for 5k mile service and I was told that's the way it is. They gave me a loaner car (2011 RX350) and it had the same issue as well. I have a 2008 ES350 and the same setting produces drastically different results. It actually cools unlike RX350. Has anyone noticed this problem on their RX?
  • billdavbilldav Posts: 18
    That feature started with the 2010 - review the wording in the ad - it is not an air-conditioned seat in these cars. I went through the same process as you and finally got the picture.
  • jlotoojlotoo Posts: 1
    I am really disappointed with the ride of my Lexus RX350. It is the bumpiest, jolting ride. I previously had an RX330 which was a much smoother ride. Does anyone else see this problem? Can anything be done?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451
    How long have you had it? Are the tires aired to spec per the label on the door jam?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Bigger wheels, less tire sidewall to flex...?
  • klee3klee3 Posts: 55
    Thanks for the reply. Go test drive the current model of ES350 and try the same feature. Give it a few mins, you'll notice the drastic difference.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Posts: 104
    edited July 2011
    I had the front bumper repaired last January and so far it is ok. I am not sure what they did but according to what the problem was, they probably replaced some of the clips that hold the bumpers to the front fenders. I had the work done at Superstition Springs Lexus in Mesa AZ. No other problems yet.
    Regards,
    Jim :)
  • ncalerncaler Posts: 14
    Couple days ago, my 2010 RX350 check engine light came on and displayed a message "Check AWD System". I brought it in and service consultant said he has never seen such message before.

After whatever tests they do, they found error code "P0445 - Gross Leak". And the cause was the fuel cap was not securely tighten.

Should I believe them that all these was caused by untighten fuel cap? Could they have reset the message and blame on something because they can't figure out the problem? The message didn't came after we brought gas or the next day, but 2 days later.

Anyone has seen similar problem and/or message? Any inputs or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Yes you can get a check engine light on if your gas cap is not tighten correctly. I have had this twice now. I have an OBD II analyzer and after connecting it it told me precisely that error. The message about the AWD is weird though.
  • precabprecab Posts: 11
    edited January 2012
    Had to replace my AC fan as cabin noise was intermittent under the dash Took a few trips to diagnose what the noise under the dash was; it was not a consitant noise. Wanted to post for others who hear noises inside the cabin. Dealer in Plano tx was first class in dealing with a few trips to try to pin this down, however had been sharing other rx350's do not have a problem history on this.

19k miles on the 2011
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    Hi, jlotoo. Do you have the 18-inch wheels or the 19-inch wheels? I have the 19-inch wheels on my 2010 RX, and as I was coming from an '07 RX, I felt the ride was quite bumpy and not as smooth as the '07. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I drove a loaner RX with the 18-inch wheels, and it felt smoother and less bumpy. So, although the 18's may not look as nice as the 19's, they seem to ride better. I bet the 18's would look good in the chrome finish :D
  • nateg1nateg1 Posts: 1
    Friend of mine has a 2010 RX350. Almost had a horrible crash when his RX accelerated by itself on the highway. Brakes completely failed...threw it in neutral and he was ok. Car was towed away. Tow truck driver claimed this was the 10th time he has seen this...with this exact car. This just happend today. I have the exact same car. And now i am scared to death to drive it. We both have 12-16 months left on our 3 year leases. How can we get out of the lease? Lexus will say the cars are fine until there is an official recall. Put this situation into google and you can read about the hundreds of others this has happened to...????? And i think i read somewhere that all 2011 RX's have the brake override system.....can i get this added to my RX? Thanks.
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    If hundreds of others have had both the braking systems fail and the vehicle accelerate by themselves out of control at the same time, why is the NHTSA not involved?
    Did you get the Highway Patrol on the scene to take a report when this happened to you?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Brakes completely failed

How is that possible?

Brakes are not by-wire, they have hydraulic lines that are independent from the throttle. If you've ever bled the fluid from the lines you'll know what I mean.

So he's saying both the throttle-by-wire and hydraulic brakes failed at the same exact time, by pure coincidence?

I'd believe reduced braking, but not complete failure.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451
    edited January 2012
    What was the argument again? WOT and pumping of the brakes causes loss of the vacuum assist?

Oh yeah, Consumer Reports says pumping can make a bad problem even worse.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Most drivers know not to pump the brakes with ABS, and that would be driver error.
    edited January 2012
    Due to the need for VDIM (Trac/VSC/ABS/EBD/etc) to have the ability to close off brake fluid pressure to any or all wheels this is not entirely impossible.

One of the reasons, causes, for which I have been "campaigning" for ONLY rear braking for moderate braking levels as a way to help "stabilize" the vehicle on marginal roadbed surfaces. Only open the front brake pressure control manifolds for brake pressure above a certain level or if the rear wheels indicate imminent lockup.
    As of 2010 a new F/awd system(***) was adopted for the RX350 and it sounds as if the service tech was not up to speed on this matter.

A loose gas cap will almost always result in a CEL and by default a VSC fault.

Just a guess but it seems to me that a Check AWD system would most likely result from a poor or imtermittent electrical connection to the rear drive clutch control solenoid.

There is an off-chance that the rear drive clutch itsself failed to fully engage during low speed acceleration even with a full voltage aplication. That would be detectable by the system "monitor" if you developed some level, even minor level, of left or right front wheelspin/slip without an appropriate left or right wheelspin/slip at the rear.

Remember any indication of such an instance...?

*** First adopted in the US by Ford for the (2005-7[?]) Escape/Mariner and then more recently by Toyota with the introduction of the new Sienna.

Oh, your dealer was blowing smoke.
  • aamixyaamixy Posts: 69
    2012 Rx 350 non Navi version. The seat movement of the "easy exit" can be disabled through customization features, but driving wheel still moves down when existing the vehicle. Is there a way to disable this feature through personalization settings? Or I have to go to the dealer's place? Thanks.
  • ionelionel Posts: 5
    To disable the steering wheel movement, you have to take the car in. The dealer will take care of it in few minutes. Personalization settings will give you only limited access to same settings.
  • nit2nit2 Posts: 29
    edited March 2012
    I was driving along at about 35 mph when I saw some snowy patches ahead and so switched the car into Snow mode (this is the ECT mode that you can activate using buttons on the steering wheel). I have the AWD version.
    As soon as I did that, the car noticeably slowed down to about 30 mph - almost as if I had tapped the brakes. Has anyone experienced this and is it normal?
    Thanks in advance.