Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 350 Driving Experiences and Problems

Comments

• avalonfanavalonfan Posts: 28
    Just turned 1000 miles on our new 2010, RX-350. Traded in an ES-350 for the RX. First impressions are positive. The added width makes for a roomy interior. The RX seems to be quieter in all respects. Road noise is less, wind noise, too. Sitting at a higher elevation provides excellent viewing. Front seats much softer. Nav is very good. Headroom far superior. General storage much improved. Engine still provides good power when needed.
    No side moulding, but my 2005 Avalon didn't have any, and we did not experience problems.
    Overall, this car feels more solid, seems to hold the road better than the ES. We consider it a decent upgrade. Let's see how we feel after, say 10,000 miles.
  • bobbassbobbass Posts: 34
    I was all set to get an ES350 in '08, but got scared off by all the "surging transmission" posts that were rampant on the Toyo V6 powertrain that year. Ended up getting an '08 RX400h and never regretted it.

I'm surprised that you rank the NAV as "very good." Most people, myself included, feel that the Toyo NAVs are inferior to most other OEM systems and virtually all standalone GPS devices.

Please let us know how your MPG settles out and what grade gas you're using.
  • jogan1jogan1 Posts: 11
    I felt the same about the 07 RX 350 Nav but the 2010 RX 350 has imporovments that make it very nice. The Lexus service similar to GM Onstar is also nice in that they can download to the Nav system directions etc that for whatever reason you do not or can not obtain. Weather and accident locations on your route (from sat. raio) also nice.
  • avalonfanavalonfan Posts: 28
    As to fuel I have stayed with using Mid (89). Might switch to a blend after 5000 miles or so. No long interstate drives, yet, so my best MPG has been just south of 22 miles per gallon.

I was told the 2010 RX Nav system is the most current edition available, but never came upon any side by side comparisons from previous versions. However, the mouse-like control on the console allows for easy switching between programs and setups. As has already been pointed out by others XM radio provides interesting useful features that tie in well with the Nav. And, so far, the accuracy of the mapping has been right on.
  • leodlionleodlion Posts: 7
    I believe it depends on the dealer. Mine gives me free maintenance services for two years.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..I believe it depends on the dealer.."

Much more likely that it really depends on how throughly the dealer was able to "soak" you at the time of the initial sale.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I know what you mean, I was at a Nissan dealership one time getting a price when they told me that if I bought or leased with them I'd get 2 years free maintenance, a loaner car, free food/drinks etc (all of which mind you, you normally would not get at a Nissan dealer) and then the first thing out of the salesman's mouth after telling me all this was, "so, what kind of monthly payments were you looking for?" ;)
  • "What are you looking to pay (for this car)?"

I tell them I want to pay exactly what they paid for the car and I want Blue Book Retail on my trade in. And I know they want to charge me the sticker price on the new car and give me 90% of the wholesale value of my trade.

So make me a net net, out the door offer and let's see who gets what they want!
  • tusa6tusa6 Posts: 2
    TRY THE YOKOHAMA PRADA X TIRES THE NEXT TIME YOU CHANGE. THE BRIDGESTONES WILL MAKE THE RIDE TWICE AS NOISY. YOU CAN LEARN MORE BY GOING TO THE TIRE RACK. LEXUS USUALLY PUTS LOUSY RATED TIRES ON THEIR NEW CARS. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH NOISE ON THE LS 400 AND LS 430 UNTIL I FOUND THE RIGHT TIRES. THE RATINGS AND PRICES ON THE TIRES CANT BE BEAT. IF YOU HAVE THE BRIDGESTONES THEY ARE RATED AROUND 49TH PLACE OUT OF 50..TIRE MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IN ROAD NOISE. I LEARNED THE HARD WAY
  • tusa6tusa6 Posts: 2
    AFTER DRIVING THE LS 400 AND LS430, THIS IS DEFINITELY THE NEXT BEST THING. GIVES YOU THE COMFORT IN THE SEATS AND THE SPEED AND HANDLING YOU WANT. THE OEM BRIDGESTONE TIRES WILL BE REPLACES ASAP AND CHANGED TO THE YOKOHAMAS PRADA X WHICH SHOULD SMOOTH OUT THE ROAD NOISE CONSIDERABLY.WOULD RATE THE CAR 9.5 OUT OF 10.RADIO NAV HEADSUP DISPLAY BLUETOOTH AS GOOD AS THE LS. DVD PLAYER IS GOOD BUT LACKS THE BLU RAY CAPABILITY. HAVE SERIOUS BACK PROBLEMS AND THE RIDE DOES NOT MAKE IT WORSE. WOULD BUY IT AGAIN. GREAT CROSSOVER WITH ROOM TO MOVE PLENTY OF CARGO WITH THE COMFORT OF A LEXUS..
  • maximafan - From your post....

" So, I know it's a hard decision to make. For sure, the 2010 is going to have more "Techie" things on it than what a 2007-2009 model will have, but I'm still a little disappointed that Lexus didn't go a little further with the 2010, as has been mentioned in my previous posts; but, also, with things that are being offered by the competitor models such as the SRX and the new 2011 Lincoln MKX and some other models, I mean, these vehicles are offering things like panoramic sunroofs, they've got the split dual exhausts, which I think makes the vehicles look more sporty. I think some of these things would have been nice to see on the 2010 RX. I really did enjoy the push-button start and the smart access for entering the loaner car that I drove."

After test drives and a lot of contemplation, I actually went with the Cadillac SRX. I've made the purchase and pick it up shortly. Even though I didn't go with the Lexus, the information from this board was incredibly helpful.

Thanks.
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    edited March 2010
    Hi, Nichelle02. Congratulations on your new ride! I've been eyeing the 2010 SRX also. I really like the styling inside and out.
    But there are two issues that concerned me about the vehicle. The first issue is the lack of torque. Although I haven't had the opportunity to drive one, I was concerned it wouldn't be as zippy as my current RX. Also, there is no spare tire on the vehicle. I'm not sure I would care to not have a spare tire on my vehicle. Outside of that, you get a lot of nice features for the price. Please keep us posted on your driving experiences with the SRX.

Once again, good luck and congrats!!

P.S. I'm now considering looking for a 2008-2009 Lexus RX350 that would have the navigation and a few other upgrades from my current RX. I'm looking at the pre-certified pre-owneds and also on Carmax to get an idea of pricing. At least if I could find one with the navigation on it, it would have a cassette player from which I could buy a cassette adapter to play my iPod and still get good stereo quality sound. :shades:
    Nichelle,

If you have access to a broadcast of "Motorweek," they did a comprehensive test of the new SRX Turbo and pretty much gave it a glowing review. PBS NJN is running it again on Wed. at 7:00 PM.

The big drawback for me was the overall 16.8 MPG. But, it is a GORGEOUS vehicle - I much prefer the styling to the RX.

I leased an '02 Cadillac STS and it was the most comfortable vehicle I ever had. GOOD LUCK with your SRX!
  • nichelle02nichelle02 Posts: 10
    edited March 2010
    Thanks maximafan and bobbass . I pick it up on Wednesday (or Friday if my schedule is too crazy on Wednesday). I had the same concerns on the torque. But I felt good with my test drive and went with the 3.0. It's not as peppy as the RX, that's definitely true. The dealer offers a 7 day return/30 day exchange policy so if it doesn't work out, I'll exchange for the Turbo. But that gas mileage is such a killer along with the cost of Premium fuel. And I agree on the spare tire. I was really surprised that it didn't have one. I did find a spare tire kit for the SRX for about $300 that fits into the storage space/cubby. I don't need the extra space so I'll be buying the spare and placing it there.

Thanks for the tip on the Motorweek episode. I just checked the schedule and can't find a Wednesday re-broadcast here. But I looked online and it looks like that episode aired on 3/12. I just missed it! Videos are posted on their site and they post them about 5 days to a week after they air. I'll be checking back as I would love to see it.

Once I've had the car for a bit and drive it under different conditions, I'll definitely post more info in the SRX forum. I'm waiting to get kicked out of the Lexus discussion soon :)

By the way, this is actually the one I bought. The pics are still up on the dealer site but should be removed soon since it's sold: http://www.morriescadillacsaab.com/detail-2010-cadillac-srx-awd_4dr_performance_- - collection-new-5077826.html
    Nichelle,

One more SRX-related post and I'll cease & desist:

The best "Cadillac Specific" Message Board (well...except for Edmunds, of course) I've come across is at "CadillacOwners.com."

The specific forum you want is here:

SRX Message Board

If you click on the first heading, "Post Pics..." on page SIX you will see YOUR VEHICLE! I was so impressed with these pics I copied and sent them to one of my buddies who also likes the 2010 SRX. ENJOY!
  • nichelle02nichelle02 Posts: 10
    edited March 2010
    Too funny! I ran across that board on Friday. I even posted in that thread! My posts are at the end. The one on page six is pretty close but it's the Caribbean Blue color. The one I purchased is the Imperial Blue which is a bit darker. The one posted also has the Premium package which is the top package. There's not a lot of difference between that one and mine except for the keyless access (similar to Lexus) and the rear seat DVD. The keyless access is the only feature that I really wanted that I didn't get.

The pics in that thread are fantastic though! They show great detail.

I'd originally planned to spend a little more time looking. But my car died on Friday evening and I just didn't want to put another dime into it. I'd already done test drives, etc so I did a search on Friday and spent hours reading the Cadillac forum there and at Edmunds. There was a ton of information which helped with the decision.
  • ppateppate Posts: 6
    I have a new Lexus RX350 (less than a week old & 100 miles). I walked into the garage and noticed this same type of humming noise. I could not pinpoint exactly where the sound was coming from. The car had been parked for at least 4 hours. I turned on the car and the humming noise stopped.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Small pump that runs intermittently to purge fuel vapors from the fuel tank.
  • jackurjackur Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone know anything about the oil horse problem (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35650004/GT1/43001/print/displaymode/1098)? Thanks!
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    Nichelle02, your new car is gorgeous!! It looks so nice in the dark blue color. I saw a black one in the parking garage where I work and I got all excited. I thought is was beautiful. Did you get it with the Navigation system? Also, as far as the spare tire kit, do you mean that it's an actual spare tire, maybe like a donut that fits into a compartment in the vehicle or is this the device that you use to inflate one of the existing tires that may have a flat??

Anyway, congratulations, again. I also have surfed over on the Cadillac forums looking up what others are paying for the 2010 SRX, although there is not as much activity on there as on the Lexus forum.