Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Suburban Oil Usage

Comments

• buck2008buck2008 Posts: 1
    I too have had an oil consumption problem with my 2008 suburban. I have had regular oil changes and maintenance done at my dealership. I now need the motor rebuilt!!! I am furious. The total cost is around 6,800.00 and GM will pay a partial amount. We are expecting around 2600.00 out of pocket. This is totally unacceptable as this vehicle only has 82,000 miles on it. Warranty is up. GM WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! I come from a huge family of chevy truck and suv drivers. A 40,000.00 vehicle not made to last. I live in a small town and this has happened to 2 others, which one person said gm covered the total cost, and the other person said they would not budge. Selective I guess. Called GM back and the said they will not consider anymore assistance on this. Who wants to fork out 2600.00 on a car with only 82,000 miles on it??? very unhappy and am set to spread the word.
  • deniz01deniz01 Posts: 3
    WOW!!! I still have warranty on my till 100,000 and it's a 2008 too. Funny when I first post my original message a GM rep replied if I need assistance I replied to her and haven't heard back nothing, that’s GM service for you. On my issue we started an oil consumption test and I had to add 1qt at 1,000 miles finally after 2700 miles into test they have recognized that there's an issue. I now have to get all my receipts for my oil purchased since my husband does our oil changes before they can work on it. Good thing we purchased from Sam’s club and they can print receipts for up to 2 years. I will continue to post my experience. You should check into the warranty cause like I said I have warranty till 100,000 miles.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    Hi buck2008,

I am very sorry to hear of your issue. I would like to research this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is socialmedia@gm.com please put "Attn Crystal" in the subject header. Look forward to hearing from you.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
    buck2008,

I apologize if we did not reply to your request. I am happy to see that we were able to get your repair covered under warranty. Please feel free to send an email to socialmedia@gm.com "Attn Crystal" in the subject header with any further issues or concerns.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • pameyerpameyer Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Suburban with 86k on it. We use 2 quarts of oil every 1000-1500 miles. It is getting worse.

Crystal, can you advise what I should do to get this addressed?

I was at the dealer today looking at a 2013 Suburban as we have four kids and the truck is right for us. Unfortunately, my confidence is weakening.

Thanks!

Pat
    Hi Pat,

I am assisting Crystal here on the forum. I can't provide you with any technical assistance for this issue. I would suggest consulting with your dealer for your current oil consumption concerns. Please let us know if you have any other questions and if you are able to get this issue addressed.

Thanks!

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • mp3t3r5mp3t3r5 Posts: 1
    GM Cust Svc
    Our '07 5.3L Suburban is doing the same thing. Started at 50K, was in the shop having AFM & Left Rockers rebuilt at 55K and 59k. We've been expressing concern at the dealer for the problem continuing at all oil change since, but the dealer failed to document the concern. Now at 121k they want $5100 to rebuild the pistons. This seems to be a wide spread problem for GM. When discussing with GM Cares the rep stated "if you want an answer now, it's no!" Our confidence in GM has failed, and we are working on posting in many blogs and filling complaints with federal agencies. We intend to bring litigation and contact state reps etc up 'til the point GM does the right thing... It's unacceptable for such a large company to take advantage of its customers and cover such large and widespread issues to protect its own interest through deceitful and deceptive practices!
  • newboldrnnewboldrn Posts: 1
    I am also an owner of a 2007 Suburban with ~108,000 miles. The dealer has attempted one repair with a diverter in the oil pan but this did not resolve the issue. We were fed up with all of the "oil consumption tests" that the dealer was performing while not indicating that GM had any resolution. please keep me posted on your legal proceedings. We are very dissapointed in GM at this point and looking for a way to get this resolved.

Regards,
    Randy
  • sonata01sonata01 Posts: 20
    I would also like to kept informed of any legal proceeding as I had already paid for a valve/lifter job, which, of course, didn't not help the oil consumption; and was told to add oil as needed, which will be pretty often, until I get rid my suburban. I can't imagine that GM would reimburse, even a portion, of my costs, even though they admit there is a problem with suburbans.
  • wwinnwwinn Posts: 2
    Same here. Looked so long for a good used suburban and found an '07 in 2009 with 16k on it. Now with 85k I am having low oil issues. I have not even called gm yet. Figured it is not worth it. Let me know when the lawyers get involved because I wanted 200k out of this one. Own another Chevy (4 total over 8 years) but will go back to Nissan if this is not fixed.
  • buddy77buddy77 Posts: 3
    I bought a 2007 Suburban in 2010 with 72M miles on it. I also started having the same issue as you at 88M miles. Luckily my dealer looked up, what I assume, was a bulletin issued by GM stating why this was happening. The wording on my work order is 88599 oil consumption issue J1307 15.30. I had to have the engine rebuilt but it was under warranty. NOW the transmission went out and I had to have that rebuilt. Not under warranty. Hopefully the car will last until I can pay it off!!
  • buddy77buddy77 Posts: 3
    Please read my post which is #49. there was a bulletin issued about the oil consumption that my dealer found or knew about. You may still be under warranty and can get it fixed.
  • I have a 2009 Suburban with engine related issues and at this point GM will not do anything further.
    Here's whats happened so far.
    29000 miles I started noticing a good deal of blue smoke from the tailpipe. The dealership found oil in the intake manifold and replaced the valve cover with the updated design.
    36000 miles, truck shuts down on way home after check engine light, Stabilitrack and Traction control errors appear. After 15 minutes on roadside trucks starts back up in limp home mode. Dealership replaces throttle position sensor.
    38000 miles, truck once again goes into limp home with check engine light. Check oil and find NO visible oil on dipstick. Back to dealership, again. All 8 pistons and rings replaced. GM customer service contacted with request for new engine or warranty extension. GM agrees to neither and says this repair will fix any issue. I foolishly agree and allow repair.
    Approx 40000 miles trucks starts running rough. Check plugs and find them fouled. Maybe dealership didn't change them with pistons so I just change them.
    41300 truck once again goes into safe mode with all the lights on again. This time I was 30 minutes from home in severe thunderstorms with my 4 kids and wife. Great feeling trying to drive on the highway in those conditions.
    Get home and once again find most oil gone from dipstick (maybe 1/4 inch left on it). Mind you when I changed the plugs the oil was fine. Dealership checks truck and says oil leaked from engine rear main seal. I search driveway and find a couple of drops, nothing that would cause that much of a loss.
    So right now I have a 2009 truck with 41000 miles that has had a engine rebuild and still uses oil.
    Avoid these trucks as GM will not stand behind their product.
  • I totally agree. I have had issues of course with my 2008 Suburban still to this day I do. My husband just paid 4200.00 to have his 2008 Chevrolet Truck rebuilt. The mechanic showed us the scarring from there being no oil. I am done with the GM product. I basically was told we got you to your 100,000 mile warranty which mind you I had issues way before I hit 100,000 miles with them band aiding my low oil consumption which I am being told I need a new engine. This is 2 vehicles same year this has happened to. I will not give them another chance to screw me over.
    Hi boomer,

I'm sorry to hear that after your engine rebuild you still seem to be having problems with your Suburban. If you would like for us to reopen your case and see what other options are available for you, please let us know. We can be contacted trough email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber].

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Great, now I feel really up the creek without a paddle...
    I have about 97K miles on my 2008 Chev Suburban Z71 and have noticed after any long highway trips that my Oil Low light is coming on.
    No oil in the driveway, so where is it going?

Has anyone in this forum had any luck working with GM to get this issue resolved?
  • No luck at all. My issues started way before I hit 100,000 mile warranty and all they did was band aid it til I went over my warranty and they said they got me to 100,000 mile power train warranty. It is sad because all I have ever bought were Chevys and now with 2- 2008 Chevy models both with the same problem I am done. I tried to get help or any assistance and I was told I was on my own. Mind you I had the start of problems before 60,000 miles. Nothing else I can do except for look at Toyotas or Fords.
    Hello there,

I apologize for the issue you have been having with your vehicle. I would like to look into your situation for you. Can you please reach out via Email at socialmedia(at)gm.com and include a brief explanation of your vehicle concerns and if you have worked with a dealership. Also please include your contact information, the VIN and current mileage. In addition, if you had a case file set up, let us know that number.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
  • I had the same problem, GM Customer Care is a joke, pretty sure it was based in India or some foreign country. After replacing the engine in my suburban I sold it and now drive an ExpeditionEL. I'm done with GM after owning over 13 GM vehicles......you can see my previous posts in this thread: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f22d28b/23

Good Luck
    Hello bnahikian,

I apologize if you had a poor experience with GM Customer Care. I am sorry you feel this way based on your current situation. General Motors relies heavily on loyal customers and I hope one day we may be given the opportunity to earn your business again.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
  • Wow!!! I'm so glad I decided to research these newer Suburbans since I was in the process of searching for one (2007-2012) after selling my 2002 Suburban. I too have always owned Chevy's but now I have to say my confidence in them has been shaken. As far as Chevy Customer Service rep's apologizing for their service, this hardly gives me any confidence to continue my search for another Suburban. For whatever it's worth, if Chevy wants to continue to have customer loyalty, I highly suggest for them to do the right thing and be fair and actually take care of the customer and acknowledge and fix their engineering issues. Good luck to all current owners with these problems.
  • Anyone interested in participating in a class action against GM? Not a lawyer here, but interested in seeking legal help...
  • FYI, motivated by my frustration with my 2007 Suburban Z71 that goes through 1 to 2 quarts between oil changes.
  • Hi,

for what it's worth, i had the same issues in my 2007 suburban, had the AFM disbaled and no longer conuming oil. No difference in mileage either.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,209
    Got three years to kill and want to get a $500 coupon off a new Chevy eh? Better to go see your own lawyer if you think you have a claim.

A case in which the only winners are lawyers (NBC)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks slalom1, how did you go about disabling the AFM? Was that done with code or did you go to a mechanic. I am willing to try anything at this point, not covered under warranty any longer.
  • Thanks Stever....I guess all of us on this forum and the other similar that I have stumbled across should just sit ideally by while GM screws us. Bottom line, they produced a crap product in this 5.3L, they know there is an issue and all we do is sit here and complain on a forum and get nowhere with GM.

I hear you about the class action; however the David and Goliath approach won't get the message across either.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,209
    I think it's all about effectively complaining.

Toyota paid out a lot in their recent sudden unintended acceleration lawsuit. Lots of bad PR and people dying. Only took three years for that "clear cut" one to settle.

Better to be your own David, I think.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hi haye1869,

Have you had an oil consumption test done by your dealership yet? If you would like for us to connect you with a dealer in your area to have this test started, please let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Hello Amber, I am going to get it into a dealer (Mauer Chevrolet) next week.