Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Road Trip!

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    You don't have to subject yourself to DC to meet politicians. Just hang around the Anchorage Airport. I used to see Wally Hickel, Ted Stevens and Don Young all the time. My best spot was Hubert Humphrey wandering around the airport all alone, no entourage. I walked up and shook his hand and told him it was a pleasure meeting him even if we did not share the same political views. He was waiting for a flight back to Minneapolis. Very pleasant man. One of the few decent politicians.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,915
    edited September 2012
    Met Uncle Ted once but never ran into Dandy Don. The governor before Sarah borrowed a canoe from me once, through a friend.

Said hi to the Idaho gov outside a lunch spot one time but not having a TV, I didn't recognize him until later. Ditto one of the other reps around Boise.

Met Larry Craig once too, but luckily I never ran into while changing planes in MSP. :shades:

DC is a fun place to visit in spites of all the pols.
    You did not miss much with Don Young, a rude crude obnoxious person. I was across the room from him in the AK Airlines lounge and he was on his cell phone swearing like an uneducated common thug. I never voted for him after that.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,442
    We had a small road trip today.
    Went to the 'Big E' a multi state fair in Western Mass.
    We took a friend of my oldest daughter's who is from the mid west.
    It was fun walking around eating all those bad foods, walking through each of the 6 New England states buildings, and the agricultural buildings with all the animals.
    When we got back to our house, the Nascar race was on the tv, and she said I want to go to one of those.
    I said sure next spring we will go to the track they are showing on tv.
    It's pretty easy trip from CT, 4 hour drive, 5 hours at the track for the Saturday race, 4 hours back.
    I'm pretty sure she going with us to South Bend next month for the football game, so I think we have a new road trip buddy, or sort of a new 3rd kid. :)
    You want to fly you give up Constitutional freedoms. Soon trains buses will follow. Taking a drive may be our last bit of freedom in this Brave New World.

http://www.infowars.com/tsa-confiscates-camera-deletes-footage-of-checkpoint/
    edited November 2012
    Road Trip to Santa Fe (Inside Line)

Maybe Fintail will stop in in the next week or so with tales of his latest autobahn driving.

I'm off to Toledo tomorrow. :shades:
    Are you driving a VW Beetle? Diesel I hope. :blush:
    edited November 2012
    My sister's '00 New Beetle seats were quite good. Did a lot of 9 hour trips in it between Virginia and Chattanooga while she owned it, and found the seats very comfortable. Her '05 Forester seats are good too though; cloth unlike my Outback's seats.

But the weather report looked good so we are in the van again this week, also with the cloth seats. Only thing I miss about the Outback is the heat; otherwise the leather seats in it aren't all that great for longer trips.

Gas surprised me - never saw it more than a dime cheaper than what it is a few blocks from my house. Didn't think to price diesel.

And only had three deer jump out in front of us today, all in a row.
    A reporter is looking for any drivers out there who can discuss the creative ways they've tried to keep their car clutter-free. There are so many gadgets, toys for kids, stuff for pets and other goods carried along in vehicles today, and he'd like to know how you manage or organize all these things inside your car. If you think you have helpful tips or ideas, please let us know at pr@edmunds.com by Monday December 24th.
    Can't remember going north between Nashville and Indy before; some pretty country even if we are hanging close to the Interstate and watching the weather. Plan to stop before dark and take it easy to Port Huron tomorrow and try to hit a few side roads.

Anyone else going home from Grandma's house?
    edited February 2013
    2012 Jeep Wrangler: The Big Loop

Los Angeles, Sacramento, Reno, Virginia City, Bishop, Panamint Springs, Death Valley and back.

• berriberri Posts: 3,996
    I'd add one thing. Since you're in Reno, if you haven't been there before take a day and check out nearby Lake Tahoe area. Virginia City, Death Valley -sounds like some Cowboy TV shows and movies. I wonder if the old Ponderosa ranch is still open. If you had more time, you could also side trip to Yosemite.
    The in-laws used to live in Carson City. Why they moved back to the UP I don't know. :shades:

(Don't ask why we decided to move a couple of blocks from them LOL. But the snow was firm enough this evening to actually get to the Lake Superior beach and enjoy a nice sunset).

I miss the high desert country and our occasional Sierra trips.
    The Ponderosa (Bonanza) ranch is up by lake Tahoe. Tourist trap complete with petting zoo and pony rides.

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/ponderosab.html
    I could and may move to Carson City or Gardnerville area. Better tax structure and close to Lake Tahoe which I never tire of looking at.
    edited February 2013
    Let's be honest, you used to be a hard [non-permissible content removed] up in Alaska, but now after all this time in the San Diego are you are probably too much of a wimp to go back to winters. Nothing to be ashamed of - you just get wiser with age :shades: If you want tax savings something like Henderson or Summerlin near Vegas will probably better fit these days.
    The real buys are in Pahrump. Though you may get lonely out there. I don't need to sell my place here in San Diego. I can keep it as a winter getaway. I mainly need a residence where income taxes are less. Hawaii is still my favorite. And they do not tax pension income.
    And they do not tax pension income.

At least not yet. Seems like states are backing away from that these days. Love Hawaii, but it takes BIG mullah over there!
    There are places that are not that expensive on the Big Island. I would not consider Oahu or Maui. Maybe Kauai. Still buy close to the water on the Big Island for a reasonable amount. You cannot even think about a lot in CA with ocean view for this kind of money.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-892-Paradise-Ala-Kai-Dr-Keaau-HI-96749/2118- 979667_zpid/

A POC fixer down the street from me just sold for $350k. I have spent time on every major island and fell in love with this area. If you are a high roller this would be my current idea of a good buy.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-977-Paradise-Ala-Kai-Dr-Keaau-HI-96749/2117- 991008_zpid/
    I was looking at National's last minute rentals page today and was amazed at how much a rental car goes for in Hawaii these days. I know it's high season, but yikes.