Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Road Trip!

Comments

• fezofezo Posts: 9,360

Old VWs always floated. It was part of their advertising. I'll admit they didn't advertise floating upside down. That was kind of a touchy subject since those old Beetles flipped quicker than a not properly cared for early Corvair.

Well, I've done my second recovery solo long drive. Good therapy. No Tallahassee and NC this time. Kentucky where I've known a fellow poster for maybe 17 years and have been quite friendly with so we finally got to meet. Hit the Corvette plant, took in a Reds game and looked at a bunch of really, really nice cars.

Man there are some serious hills on that trip, the craziest being in western Maryland. Runaway truck ramps, and 6% grades where you can throw the car into neutral and have some real giggles assuming you pay really close attention to what the hell you're doing. You can hit 90 without breaking a sweat.

If I showed someone from there, West Virginia or eastern Kentucky pictures from where I grew up which I consider hills they'd laugh themselves silly. "Those aren't hill. Those are speed bumps!"

Crossed the Eastern Continental Divide which I had no idea even existed.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,860
    edited June 11

lol, we don't know - somewhere in Nebraska that's "close" to Denver.

Okay, we're doing some scenic byway and then it looks like we could take 71 south to avoid the Interstate but we may wind up doing that anyway. My wife, the navigator, is driving right now so can't tell me where to go. :D

Looks like noonish in the Denver area would work and give us plenty of time to get to Taos Friday night "late".

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 5,659

@stever said: lol, we don't know - somewhere in Nebraska that's "close" to Denver.

Okay, we're doing some scenic byway and then it looks like we could take 71 south to avoid the Interstate but we may wind up doing that anyway. My wife, the navigator, is driving right now so can't tell me where to go. :D

Looks like noonish in the Denver area would work and give us plenty of time to get to Taos Friday night "late".

Yeah, I just found it. Two ways to go:

1) backroads due south in Nebraska to I-76, then take E-470 (toll road) to avoid Denver, south on I-25 to Castle Rock, exit Founders / Meadows (exit 184)

2) Cut across to I-25, then straight south through Denver to Castle Rock, exit Founders / Meadows (exit 184).

Lots of places to meet up at that exit. Friday noon will work well - we can meet up for lunch somewhere.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited June 11

@Michaell said: Lots of places to meet up at that exit. Friday noon will work well - we can meet up for lunch somewhere.

Or, you can take 71 south all the way to I-70, then head west for a bit until you get to CO 86 - take that west and it drops you right into Castle Rock.

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• thebeanthebean Texas!Posts: 26

@imidazol97 said: What does it mean by "Every day is a hollar day"?

Maybe it means that people are friendly and give you a "hollar" although here in Texas we always spelled it "holler". Or maybe it's how they pronounce "challah" as in challah bread.

Curious.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,264
    edited June 11

I see on this page they spelled "Hollar" as "Holler."Talks about a bike marathon...

http://m.agriculture.com/family/riders-go-rural-route_327-ar19582

I came across a page of welcome signs for Iowa cities. I found this one with a good pun.

@Michaell, lunch sounds good.

HollarDay, Holiday.... Y'all give me a holler when you get to the UP - not sure why they spell it wrong in Iowa. Everyday is a holiday when you know your neighbors well enough to holler at them?

@Fezo, we should be home the 3rd week of June - that was one of your UP weeks, wasn't it?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

carhenge.JPG 38.1K

@stever said:

Nice! Where is this?

edited June 12

Just up the road from you in Alliance Nebraska.

Carhenge

edited June 17

Taos was a wonderful stopover, as usual. Even got some boating in. Now in Las Cruces and it feels like home. The van is practically empty; curious to see what the mpg does now. We varied from 21 to 24 on the readout. Something is rattling underneath on the neighborhood roads going slow - I think it's the compact spare case in the middle of the chassis.

When I got the van, I checked for the jack and stuff but didn't count the parts. The one "socket" gismo that fits the square nut to lower the spare is missing - supposed to be three "rods" in the case but there's only two. Guess I'm off to Harbor Freight sometime today.

Oh, and the durn oil change indicator came on last night too.

The Grand Caravan did good hauling stuff out here.

edited June 21

Where's Gagrice? Intended to take a "chair" photo on a stretch of Route 66 today on the other side of Alamogordo somewhere, but got sidetracked by a Dairy Queen calling my name.

Found a great route from Alamogordo on a NE angle, avoiding the freeways and bigger towns. Not much traffic, great big sky views and higher speed limits. Did about 650 miles today via Liberal Kansas. Tomorrow is hopefully more of the same as we generally head in the direction of Minneapolis.

@xwesx, my brother and SIL are in Homer now, having delayed Seward a few days due to flooding. They are having a great time up there.

The empty van got around 17 cruising around Las Cruces but it's back up over 25 mpg on the highways, even moving over 70 most of the time. The dashboard told me I had a 500 mile range on one tank but I filled it at 450 miles to get some cheap Texas gas near the state line.

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,613

G'day

We are off on a road-trip from Melbourne to Alice Springs in Central Australia. I recently discovered that Camper Rental companies need vehicles returned from one way hires and offer a rate of $1 per day and throw in a generous fuel allowance. It was a case of monitoring a few sites until an attractive offer popped up.

With frequent flyer points to get us home it should be a cheapish holiday and we get to stay in some plush hotels on the return leg.

There are some restrictions, this being Australia. We cannot drive after dark, due to the risk of hitting kangaroos and the camper cannot be driven off bitumen, which is a small price to pay for the good rates.

Should be an interesting trip.

Cheers

Graham

Sounds like fun! We drove by an RV place a couple of days ago that had a sign hanging on the fence - "we need drivers". We don't collect air miles with our affinity credit card any more, but if they'd let us pull a car hauler....

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,508

@stever said: xwesx, my brother and SIL are in Homer now, having delayed Seward a few days due to flooding. They are having a great time up there.

Glad to hear it! I finally saw a pop-up being towed through town today and thought maybe they were still in the area, but, alas, the vehicle had Alaska plates. The rain this last week is unreal. We had over 4" in some places in the interior over the span of about three days. That's over 1/3 of the annual precipitation total we would normally expect!

The lower Chena is near the top of its banks, meaning it is about 5-8' higher than it was a week ago. They closed the flood control gates at Moose Creek to divert Chena water into the Tanana. They haven't done that in years! Otherwise, I suspect the lower river would be in early flood stage this morning.

So, torrential rains across much of the state (and that's a big area, as you know) along with ~6" of snow in the Alaska Range, including the Richardson and Denali highways. Fun stuff!

Hm, I think an old friend is doing the Chulitna soon. At least he won't have to worry about getting his raft stuck in the braids. Flipping in the canyon section could be fun though.

Meanwhile we are heading to a campground south of St. Paul at the moment, doing another long day and cruising on I-80 to make time - boring. Got about 600 miles total to go - cutting a day off the trip really adds to the "car fatigue", but we miss our cat. And the grass will be a foot high in the yard (especially underneath the for sale sign).

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,028

I'm on the road again. Spending the night in Lubbock TX. Spent last night in Hot Springs AR. We may make it home in 4 days at this rate. Best trip across TX ever. Took US 70 out of Hot Springs and dropped down to Paris TX and got on US 82. What a great road. Most is posted 75 MPH. I cruised most of the day at 72 MPH. Filled here for the cheapest Diesel yet at $3.55 a gallon. 683 miles with about 60 miles left in reserve.

Our plan was to stay on US 82 across NM through Artesia and Cloudcroft down into Alamogordo. There is an extreme weather forecast of 50 MPH winds and blowing dust across that region all the way from El Paso to Lordsburg. So we will take the Northern route through Roswell, Socorro, and spend the night in Show Low or Globe. We have only gotten rained on one time this entire trip. That was a 5 mile stretch coming into Little Rock yesterday. US 82 across TX is like having the Interstate all to yourself. We did drop down on the farm roads to avoid Wichita Falls. Lubbock is the largest city we have gone through. And it was a breeze today at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Another note, my son and daughter in law are going to sell the place they just remodeled in Indiana and move to Cottage Grove Oregon. Will make for much shorter trips for us. My daughter and son in law are moving to TX. This may be my last drive East. Glad I did not get impulsive on buying a place back East.

We were on 54 going northeast out of Alamogordo, but it sounds very similar to 82. Great driving, even if I pushed it a bit harder than you. The only thing you had to watch out for, other than the wide loads hauling windmill blades, were the occasional farm tractors.

Are you staying put in San Diego then?

• slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 306

@gagrice said: " my son and daughter in law are going to sell the place they just remodeled in Indiana and move to Cottage Grove Oregon. Will make for much shorter trips for us. My daughter and son in law are moving to TX. This may be my last drive East. Glad I did not get impulsive on buying a place back East. "

Gary,

Let me know when you come to town.I live just outside Cottage Grove(All-American City...twice...).

;)

@slorenzen said: Let me know when you come to town.I live just outside Cottage Grove(All-American City...twice...).

Well, you can kiss that little honor goodbye! The gagrice clan is about to crash the party! :p

@xwesx said:

Well, they MAY need to buy outside the city limits(like me). Gotta keep up appearances, ya know...

:D

Also, Gary, make sure they look at the property tax structure. It's roughly 3 times higher in the city limits.

@stever said: We were on 54 going northeast out of Alamogordo, but it sounds very similar to 82. Great driving, even if I pushed it a bit harder than you. The only thing you had to watch out for, other than the wide loads hauling windmill blades, were the occasional farm tractors.

Are you staying put in San Diego then?

I would still like to get out of CA. Not sure where to go. Oregon has some pretty hefty income taxes. No sales tax which is good. Have to rethink it all. We had a good trip today. Made it from Lubbock to Globe AZ. Only 8 miles on I25 getting into Socorro.

@slorenzen said: Let me know when you come to town.I live just outside Cottage Grove(All-American City...twice...).

I will do that. If the kids get moved as planned this Summer I may be up in the Fall.

@slorenzen said: Also, Gary, make sure they look at the property tax structure. It's roughly 3 times higher in the city limits.

I can see a big tax difference from one county to the next. I do like Oregon and may locate close to my Son and family. I found this little place not too far from CG. I want a place I can fish and hunt a little. I really like the Rogue River area.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/479-Skelly-Rd-Yoncalla-OR-97499/61076404_zpid/

@xwesx said: Well, you can kiss that little honor goodbye! The gagrice clan is about to crash the party!

The whole family are Alaskans born and bred. They still have their place in Wasilla. I don't think they have much desire to go back. Will probably sell it and buy in Oregon. They wanted to go to Oregon from the start. My daughter talked them into coming to Indiana. And I financed the venture.

edited June 25

@gagrice said: I found this little place not too far from CG.

Nice, but I see a lot of accessibility issues. Heck, one glass of wine and I'd go swimming fetching something I forgot in the garage. :D

Hey, check out the Houses Cost Too Much discussion. I need help in there.

• berriberri Posts: 4,203

Gary - movers have gotten very expensive. So need to factor that against the taxes you expect to save to see how long the payback period is (if the move is being cost savings motivated). Then again, don't know the cost of housing which may offset some of that initial moving expense through a lower house cost. I believe that town your son is in is south of Eugene, but a doable drive from Portland. Across the river is Vancouver, WA which has no state income tax.

edited June 25

If we get away with two van loads, I figure that'll be worth about $2,000 (or more) saved on moving expenses, even figuring the gas for the two trips. Between that and selling the other two cars, the van is practically "paid for".

Anyone heard from Fezo lately? I was looking for him to be in the UP this week.

@gagrice said:

Yoncalla is close to the Umpqua River. Very good salmon fishing there.

If you want the Rogue River area, it's another 90 minutes south(Grants Pass area). Also very good fishing and hunting close by.

That home you posted has been on the market for over a year, so I bet they're willing to deal by now...

@gagrice said: I financed the venture.

Hey, if it's on your dime... the sky's the limit, right?! :'(