Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Road Trip!

1232425262729»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,570
    edited August 30

Crazy eh? Something about Pennsylvania. Heard a bear researcher from there give a slide show about 20 years ago and it was impressive. These bears are denning under people's porches and under trees in their yards too.

Pennsylvania’s Incredible Giant Black Bears (gameandfishmag.com)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,743

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 303

@stever said: Crazy eh? Something about Pennsylvania. Heard a bear researcher from there give a slide show about 20 years ago and it was impressive. These bears are denning under people's porches and under trees in their yards too.

Pennsylvania’s Incredible Giant Black Bears 9gameandfishmag.com)

Incredible.

Here in Oregon, I've never seen(or heard) of anything bigger than about 300 lbs.

In the local we-got-everything store, at the sporting goods counter I saw a picture of a guy that had taken a 320 lb. cougar about 25 miles from my house! He was posing with it as it was laid out over a pile of snow, it looked like a COW!

Shoot, most of the grizz in Alaska didn't get that big. And I never would have guessed a cougar would go more than 150, tops.

Jemez Mountains tour today via Los Alamos, gas in Rio Rancho (next to ABQ), and now heading west to a campground we know about from a past trip.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,701

Kind of wish I was in Cleveland at rhe air show. The picture show up fine in the pictures folder.

@stever said: Shoot, most of the grizz in Alaska didn't get that big. And I never would have guessed a cougar would go more than 150, tops.

Jemez Mountains tour today via Los Alamos, gas in Rio Rancho (next to ABQ), and now heading west to a campground we know about from a past trip.

Typically, you're right, the cougars are between 100 to 175 for a big male.

This thing was a MUTANT.

I've seen cougar 5 times since I've lived here(usually on a hike or bike ride, just a quick glance as they head for the hills). I'm guessing they were right around 100-120 pounds.

When do we all get complimentary Edmunds chairs?

B)

edited August 31

Five is amazing. All I've ever seen were some tracks in camp. Well, did see a jaguarundi heading from the beach in Ixtapa in the 80's. We were on the side of the road when he crossed.

And why were we on the side of the road? Our taxi had a flat (naturally for me) and the cabbie's jack didn't work.

(Apparently the chairs are on backorder. ;) )

@stever said: Five is amazing. All I've ever seen were some tracks in camp. Well, did see a jaguarundi heading from the beach in Ixtapa in the 80's. We were on the side of the road when he crossed.

And why were we on the side of the road? Our taxi had a flat (naturally for me) and the cabbie's jack didn't work.

(Apparently the chairs are on backorder. ;) )

The way I look at it, if I've seen them 5 times, they've seem me 1000 times! Very stealthy critters. One of those times, my black lab rousted him(or her) from it's hidey-hole in some blackberry bushes.

That was the day I decided to carry whenever I was out there(logging road).

Let me know when my chair will be arriving...

:D

edited August 31

The chair may have been abducted by aliens at the Very Large Array site near Pie Town NM.

edited August 31

Found a fun "shortcut" road heading for Socorro. Love it when the blue line on the GPS disappears, especially when you are on a "highway".

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,701

Found a picture of my visiting bear friend

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,464

Well, that dude has seen a few visits from Fish & Game. All he "needs" now is a funnel around his neck. LOL