Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Road Trip!

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Took a 6000 mile round trip from OH to CA in our '07 Prius. It's a good-sized vehicle for our family of 4 and the hatch-back design can hold a lot of stuff. Even though we get close to 50mpg at home, driving 80mph (75mph speed limit in a lot of southwest states) dropped the average MPG to the mid-40s. I spent $450 in gas to drive those 6000 miles. If I lived in the southwest on a regular basis, I'd see about maybe buying a diesel because I think they can get better MPG at those higher highway speeds. It would have cost about $1500 to fly, plus probably another few hundred for a rental car, so it was well worth it to drive, plus we got to see a lot of stuff along the way going throug the "fly-over" states.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Am heading to CA next week from my home in Colorado. Should be around 2200 miles total. Hoping to get as far as I can on day 1 (12 hours? Vegas?) to make day 2 shorter.

Taking my '06 Saturn ION with 72K on it. I did a shorter trip a couple weeks ago and got over 32 MPG on one tank with AC running.

Looking forward to I-70 and I-15 in Utah where the posted limit is now 80 MPH.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,201
    Denver to Vegas has a lot of nice scenery. Why rush it? You''ll probably lose it all on Day 2 in one of those traffic backups in Primm - just kidding!
    Denver to Vegas has a lot of nice scenery. Why rush it? You''ll probably lose it all on Day 2 in one of those traffic backups in Primm - just kidding!

Yeah, I've done the drive a number of times over the years. I love the vistas in Utah.

I'm leaving Wednesday, so I'm hoping not to encounter too much traffic on Thursday, when I'll be going from Vegas to LA
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,764
    If you think cousin Vinnie's slide shows are insipid and tedious now, just wait. :)

"Roadtrip Video Recorder documents hours of family fun while traveling on the highway."

Versatile camera can enhance vacations (Detroit News)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Day one of the road trip is in the books. Denver to mesquite Nevada. Approximately 670 miles. First tank yielded 33 mpg. Second tank was 29. Lots of construction - one lane. 40 mph speeds. Should only have six hours or so tomorrow.
    edited September 2012
    Went west to Escanaba, south to Traverse City, cross state to Port Huron and then north to Whitefish Point and followed the coast of Superior back to Marquette and then home. So we've pretty much "done" Michigan (caught the thumb of the mitten last year). We did the north shore of Superior years ago, so we've managed to go around it too now.

Anyway, the drive along the National Lakeshore between Whitefish (or Grand Marais if you don't want to go to end of the "regular" road) and Munising was a great drive. Champagne asphalt, curvy, uncrowded (a few maples have turned but it's not leaf peeping season yet) with forest and water views. Almost took out a deer though.

The traffic we did see seemed to be there for the road. There was a 20+ contingent of Porsches (notable because the stuck the 4 or 5 Cayennes running sweep so as not to block anyone's view :shades: ) and lots of motorcyclists cruising.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,017
    Better get used to seeing more Cayenne SUVs. Best selling Porsche model. They are out selling many of their competition. Who knows, I may go for the diesel model. It is rated higher mileage than its stable mate the Touareg TDI. Also a hybrid model. Not very good highway mileage. The Touareg is really better looking. Sorry Porsche, If I get one from you it will be a 911.
    Carhenge: A Bucket-List Destination for Those With Time, and Gas, to Burn (NY Times)

Me neither (nor Cadillac Ranch for that matter).

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,205
    Be careful not to mistake the Cadillac Ranch with the Mustang Ranch. Your wife may never forgive you.
    edited September 2012
    The in-laws used to live in Carson City, so they took us on the (external) tour of one of the chicken ranches. Defunct now I think (looked pretty seedy back in the day too - chain link and double-wide trailers).

I thought the Mustang Ranch went broke and Obama gave them Stimulus money to keep going. :shades:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,205
    Hey, that capitalized word that's not a name isn't intended as a pun, is it?
    edited September 2012
    The Mustang guy absconded to Brazil when the feds tried to nab him back in the 90s. Contrary to popular belief, the feds never ran the ranch.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,766
    Aren't the Feds and DC culture in general kind of filling the same role (selling) as that ranch? So if you want the sell yourself experience, just take a trip to the beltway. Probably dirtier than a Nevada funhouse, so watch out :shades:
    Bah, I was in DC earlier in the spring enjoying the cherry blossoms. Great place to visit although we messed up by not taking the Metro over the river. At least we were burning my sister's gas creeping around the Tidal Basin.

Trying to fit in a road trip to the Twin Cities. Haven't been to Minneapolis in umpteen years, unless you count the airport. Half the distance to Detroit and even a couple of hours closer than Chicago.

So you missed the DC equivalent to the Nevada funhouses (various legislative and judicial branches, and the lobbyists who infest them)?

In about 6 weeks I will be on a little road trip in a place where people usually drive properly - many time zones to the east of here. Probably a needless splurge...but you only live once.
    Heh, I saw Senator Stennis in those hallowed halls back in the 60s. Got a quill pen from the Supreme Court gift shop on another trip. These days, I just go for the food and the gardens (been to Dumbarton Oaks probably six times now).

Next time bring a briefcase full of unmarked bills...you might be able to buy yourself a law. Tax breaks for yoopers! ;)
    You don't have to subject yourself to DC to meet politicians. Just hang around the Anchorage Airport. I used to see Wally Hickel, Ted Stevens and Don Young all the time. My best spot was Hubert Humphrey wandering around the airport all alone, no entourage. I walked up and shook his hand and told him it was a pleasure meeting him even if we did not share the same political views. He was waiting for a flight back to Minneapolis. Very pleasant man. One of the few decent politicians.
    edited September 2012
    Met Uncle Ted once but never ran into Dandy Don. The governor before Sarah borrowed a canoe from me once, through a friend.

Said hi to the Idaho gov outside a lunch spot one time but not having a TV, I didn't recognize him until later. Ditto one of the other reps around Boise.

Met Larry Craig once too, but luckily I never ran into while changing planes in MSP. :shades:

DC is a fun place to visit in spites of all the pols.

You did not miss much with Don Young, a rude crude obnoxious person. I was across the room from him in the AK Airlines lounge and he was on his cell phone swearing like an uneducated common thug. I never voted for him after that.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    We had a small road trip today.
    Went to the 'Big E' a multi state fair in Western Mass.
    We took a friend of my oldest daughter's who is from the mid west.
    It was fun walking around eating all those bad foods, walking through each of the 6 New England states buildings, and the agricultural buildings with all the animals.
    When we got back to our house, the Nascar race was on the tv, and she said I want to go to one of those.
    I said sure next spring we will go to the track they are showing on tv.
    It's pretty easy trip from CT, 4 hour drive, 5 hours at the track for the Saturday race, 4 hours back.
    I'm pretty sure she going with us to South Bend next month for the football game, so I think we have a new road trip buddy, or sort of a new 3rd kid. :)
    You want to fly you give up Constitutional freedoms. Soon trains buses will follow. Taking a drive may be our last bit of freedom in this Brave New World.

http://www.infowars.com/tsa-confiscates-camera-deletes-footage-of-checkpoint/
    edited November 2012
    Road Trip to Santa Fe (Inside Line)

Maybe Fintail will stop in in the next week or so with tales of his latest autobahn driving.

I'm off to Toledo tomorrow. :shades:

Are you driving a VW Beetle? Diesel I hope. :blush:
    edited November 2012
    My sister's '00 New Beetle seats were quite good. Did a lot of 9 hour trips in it between Virginia and Chattanooga while she owned it, and found the seats very comfortable. Her '05 Forester seats are good too though; cloth unlike my Outback's seats.

But the weather report looked good so we are in the van again this week, also with the cloth seats. Only thing I miss about the Outback is the heat; otherwise the leather seats in it aren't all that great for longer trips.

Gas surprised me - never saw it more than a dime cheaper than what it is a few blocks from my house. Didn't think to price diesel.

And only had three deer jump out in front of us today, all in a row.

A reporter is looking for any drivers out there who can discuss the creative ways they've tried to keep their car clutter-free. There are so many gadgets, toys for kids, stuff for pets and other goods carried along in vehicles today, and he'd like to know how you manage or organize all these things inside your car. If you think you have helpful tips or ideas, please let us know at pr@edmunds.com by Monday December 24th.

Can't remember going north between Nashville and Indy before; some pretty country even if we are hanging close to the Interstate and watching the weather. Plan to stop before dark and take it easy to Port Huron tomorrow and try to hit a few side roads.

Anyone else going home from Grandma's house?