Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Fuel Pump Failures

2»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    Has that really gone on sale? Anywhere?

Every place that I've bought gas in the last year ..... has only had E10...

I know they've considered sellling E15, but not sure it's actually happened.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Has that really gone on sale? Anywhere?

Every place that I've bought gas in the last year ..... has only had E10...

I know they've considered sellling E15, but not sure it's actually happened.

According to what I have read, e15 must have a separate pump and be clearly labeled as e15. Since a new pump cost in the neighborhood of $20 large, I doubt you'll see it become widely available anytime soon.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    edited May 2011
    I live in New York State, and I've never seen the product for sale. Who would buy it, anyway? I'm afraid the e85 angle is a red herring.

The link below is a listing (6 months old) of New York state gas stations selling e85...

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations/e85-new-york.html

Notice there are several Mobil stations included in the list. Any of those stations look familiar to you???
  • whittonmwhittonm Posts: 30
    My 2008 335xi was beginning to take a long time to start when cold - cranking for 10 to 20 seconds before firing. I took it in to the dealer who replaced the fuel pump under the recall, and also replaced some of the fuel injectors, which are also on recall. There was a third recall that escapes me as well. It did take 3 days for the repairs, and the dealer, as usual, did not have a loaner even though I was promised one and booked two weeks in advance. BMW deals are like Hyundai dealers except they have fancier coffee machines.. Car runs fine now, we just made a 1200 mile round trip to Canada with no problems. Seems to have more power and fuel economy seems unchanged.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,902
    edited May 2011
    BMW deals[sic] are like Hyundai dealers except they have fancier coffee machines.

Really? My BMW dealer is first rate- to the point that my wife refuses to consider any other brand. She's taken it to them a couple of times(with no appointment) when the tire pressure warning illuminated and both times they checked it out and repaired the tire in under an hour. Once I asked for a transmission software update for her X3; it was already supposed to be online but it turned out that BMW NA had delayed rolling it out. So instead of simply saying "Sorry." my dealer shipped the TCU Next Day Air to BMW NA in New Jersey to get it flashed. Meanwhile, they gave me an X3 3.0 M Sport for an additional three days.
    Yeah, I suppose the only difference is the coffee maker...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• whittonmwhittonm Posts: 30
    It is good that you have a decent dealer. I unfortunately have to go to lousy BMW dealers who promise loaners and back out on the day of service, do not have the car ready on time, etc. The buying experience is also bad - we wanted a test drive and the dealer rolled out a unit from the parking lot covered in pollen and then wondered why we did not buy one. My wife also likes BMW's, purely for the status - the dealershis are inferior to our Infiniti and Acura dealers.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    The dealer where I lived in no. California really stunk. The local BMW owners referred to it quite regularly as The Evil Empire.

But that's the nature of a franchise. Some places the burgers taste great and the bathrooms are clean and everyone's smiling at you, and some you don't wanna go near them.

A bad dealership is the product of bad management/ownership.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• bmazzabmazza Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where it is located .My husband is a mechanic and cant locate it. It just wouldnt turn over and thats what hes thinking that its the fuel pump
    edited August 2011
    I'm pretty sure the pump is inside the fuel tank...

YouTube video on diagnosis and repair of fuel pump

says here if its the M54 engine you can replace it but if it's the M56 engine you have to replace the entire fuel tank. You cannot replace the pump by itself.

Here's the scoop on the M56...maybe you can figure out which engine you have (M56 is SULEV, sold in CA, NY, MASS and VT, 2003--2005 only, automatic transmission only.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,902
    Enter the last seven digits of the VIN into the online ETK at realoem.com; that will tell you whether it's an M54 or M56.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

nice tip! Thanks for posting it. Geez, replacing the entire fuel tank---that's a drag.

• tsaputojtsaputoj Posts: 2
    My 97 328i has 240K miles, I was going 65 on the freeway when I lost power and lucky got across 3 lanes of traffic to an exit. When it came to a stop, I tried to start it but it wouldn't turn over. I was real low on gas, so i put a couple of gallons in it and nothing. Everything lights up and the starter is working but it just won't turn over. Based on reading these past post it might be my fuel pump. Is there anything else I should check before jumping to that? I live in Colorado does anyone have an ideal on cost in my area, so that I don't get over charged!

Thanks for your help.
    Well you should check to see if there is fuel in the fuel rail---no sense guessing with your checkbook. A mechanic could verify that in a few minutes, tops. If there's fuel in the fuel rail (pipeline to the injectors), then it's not the fuel pump.

Next step would be to check for spark, also easy. So the mechanic should have it narrowed down to either no spark or no fuel within ten minutes. From there, each component has to be tested.

• tsaputojtsaputoj Posts: 2
    My car was towed to my house and is sitting in my garage. My 20 something son already checked the spark plugs and we have spark. Would it be easy for me and my son to check the fuel rail our selves?
    Well I guess if you are very very careful you could operate the schrader valve in the fuel rail and see if a little fuel sprays out of it (NOT WHILE CRANKING THE ENGINE!!!). Wear glasses or goggles.

Or sometimes you can hear the fuel relay and fuel pump go on for a few seconds when you turn the key to the ON position, but I'm not sure on your particular BMW.

If you can find the fuel pump relay you can sometimes by-pass it with a jumper wire.

If you find you have a good spark and you have fuel then you must have a problem with the injector pulse.

• I don't know if this helps at all, but last week my 2008 335i had a "Engine Malfunction" warning, followed by the check engine light - the physical reaction was reduced engine power.

I took it to the shop and they said it was a bad fuel pump and said it was "covered under warranty." Now, my warranty has been up for over a year - so she may have meant it was covered under a recall? I'm not sure.
    The 3.0 twin-turbo is pretty famous for having a high incidence of HPFP failures... I'm sure there is some sort of recall or extended warranty on them...

• 5539655396 Posts: 529
    The turbo's have a high pressure pump. It's a known problem and they stood behind it with a long extended warranty. Ten years seems to stick, but that's very long so I could be mistaken. But that's the way it should work.
  • abbiehightideabbiehightide Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    My fuel pump failed on my BMW. It was sitting in my driveway. It was towed to the mechanic. He replaced the fuel pump. It sat over night in his garage. It would not start. He replaced the fuel new fuel pump again. I drove it home. It would not start the next day. I towed it to the mechanic. He replaced the fuel pump a third time. It sat over night. It failed to start in the morning. At this point, after thoroughly checking the car, he cut open the original fuel pump. The impeller had swollen. He emptied the fuel tank, saving a sample of the fuel. He believed that the fuel had caused all of the fuel pumps to fail. I also live in the Hudson Valley, NY. The issue here is neither the age of the car nor the age of the fuel pumps. Even the make of the pump cannot be blamed because my mechanic used both BMW and non-BMW parts trying to repair this 2001 BMW 325xi. Something is seriously wrong and potentially dangerous if alcohol placed in fuel can essentially melt the part. It's both the fault of oil companies and the car makers. For what it is worth, in Westchester Co, a higher ethanol content is required during certain months of the year, higher than surrounding counties.
  • dakidd4dakidd4 Posts: 1

This situation is also with the 2008 328xi for it recently happened to me with only 66K miles. The worse, shutting off on me while on the highway (regular highway speeds). Not a good feeling to have when car was repaired for an "excessive fuel amount" diagnosis 2x within a 2 week period and told ready for the road (a third time). Come to find out: fuel pressure issue was valid and a fuel tank and module was needed. ($3100 repair) // Chances of me every feeling "safe" with a BMW again, slight to none...for did not expect something of this magnitude to take place with "low" miles.

2»