Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• flopkaflopka Posts: 22
    I only had one unexpected incident of long cranking since the first week I had the car. I keep the car in "ON" at least until the passenger airbag light sorts itself out, which is up to 8 seconds. The one long cranking incident that popped up since then, I'm pretty sure I started to car too quickly.
  • flopkaflopka Posts: 22
    edited March 2012
    I'm becoming resigned to the possibility that this car ('12 Premium) just isn't really at its best in the city. I took it out on some highway-esque stretches (not really flat out, more like 50mph tops) and it was like a different car. A happy car. Not that it's a bad or unhappy car in the city, but you do have to get used to the CVT being a bit schizo sometimes when you're forced to crawl in heavy traffic. Also, my city commute has many hills, so I run into the engine braking thing quite a bit. I just hope that isn't going to burn the CVT out prematurely. If so, I probably won't be keeping this car as long as I hoped, maybe just 4-5 years.

In any case, I will endeavor to keep the car happy during the break-in period, and take it out for many more country rides.

MPG continues to steadily improve. Gauge says 19.5 now.

Anyhow, I've had the car for going on a month, and I'm quite happy with it, all things considered.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    I should have said couldnt be happier.....very satisfied with the MPG of 32.........I would concur with several posters here...this little car really isnt meant to be a short haul city commuter car.....and MPG shouldnt be your first consideration for the purchase...mine was the AWD for weather and safety purposes.....love the hatchback...and MPG was my third consideration.....

engine braking is minimal, but based on terrain and speed when you head down the hill...I find mine doing it mainly when the cruise control is set.....

My wife has a 11 Outback with CVT and PZEV....and we have had zero problems with it...so that was my fourth consideration for buying a second Subie.....if you are looking for a long haul commuter, then I would recommend the Impreza....sure there are others out that what will still beat 32-36 MPG....but not AWD......will roll 8k on the way home tonight......and not a problem on mine........for those who wanted to know...5DR HB, CVT Limited, w/ Pkg #1, nav/mooroof, splash guards is how I ordered it....
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    The reasons for picking the Impreza had many of the same conclusions as the others came to. I needed a mostly commuter car, but that includes taking 3 teenagers to school 3 days a week. We wanted better fuel economy compared to our 2001 Outback where I tend to get 26 to 28mpg while driving urban interstate highways.

Other cars we looked at.
    Ford Focus - Drove nice, but dash and radio was too busy and had buttons everywhere. Small rear seat. Initially cost was more, but now with cash back offers its cheaper. Poor visibility.
    Prius - It was OK. MPG was good. Our test drive managed 45mpg. Wasn't a fun driver, but that's not a big thing for me. Huge dash and could not see the nose of the car. Kids didn't like the rear seat center location. Fold down arm rest makes it uncomfortable.
    Cruze - Nice car, but not a hatchback. Nice close dealership, good price.
    Mazda - Too small, and dealerships are not handy.

Impreza - All three of my kids liked the back seat the best on the Premium. Our test drive returned 35mpg on a 10mile loop that was mostly urban highway driving like my commute. Dashboard was familiar and simple. Size in good for a small car and almost the same as my 2001 outback. Safety rating is high and historically one of the best. AWD in Minnesota is nice. To me the Impreza wasn't the best at most things, but averaged out to the best.

Still waiting for my Sport Premium to arrive next week.

--jay
  • debbadoo2debbadoo2 Posts: 24
    I am a bit concerned with this slow crank issue and if you start researching a little bit, you will find this has been a somewhat common problem with other model years of Imprezas as well. It seems odd that Subaru would not have corrected this problem - or they don't consider it a problem because it is not consistent and the car does ultimately start. But, still, I have NEVER had an issue with my car taking more than a quick second to start. I am seriously considering purchasing this car, but that issue makes me a bit nervous. Let us know if your dealer has any suggestions or has heard of this problem from others. Possibly people don't report it because it is so sporadic.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,445
    edited March 2012
    You're right, Thom. With as inconsistently as it happens, it will be difficult to replicate on demand. I have never had a hard-start issue with any of my Subaru vehicles after waiting for the gauge sweep to complete. Other than speaking with your dealer about the issue, I recommend that your wife keep a small note pad in the glove box and write down the date, time, mileage, ambient temp, and some notes whenever this happens. Perhaps it will be of diagnostic assistance should this problem become worse or more consistent.
    concur with this last post...I experienced the hard start twice....since then..I simply turn it to access.....let the guages due their sweep or roll over.....takes about 2 seconds...then turn the key the rest of the way in the ignition....havent had the problem since......its almost like something has to prime or initiate first.....and turning the key completely to start too quickly doesnt allow this action to occur......simply my guess.......regardless..havent had the problem since I started this simple procedure.....
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
    hey hatchback owners:

how much space is below the "cargo floor" in the hatchback storage area? enough room for a set of jumper cables/first aid kit/and maybe a few tools? (that's what i used to store in my old car, but realized i didn't look at that area when i test drove the car.

thanks!
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 815
    Anyone 6-foot or over won't like the back seat. And, they will be happy in any of these other compacts? If you mean head room....

Headroom was my intent with that comment in regards to the Elantra. The 3 and the Focus are short in leg room. I'm 6-foot and find the Impreza back seat very comfortable for both headroom and leg room. With 3 co-workers loaded up there's no need for me to change my driver's seat to accommodate long legs in back.

The Mazda3 is a 2012 IIHS Top Pick.
    Agreed, but the government test was pretty poor with 2 out of 5 stars on the side impact. Front impact was very good, though. I'm crossing my fingers the Impreza does better. Only the Cruze and 3 have been tested, so there's limited information and I had to make the best decision within those constraints. The 3 has a known problem that I'd hoped would be corrected this year in the refresh but wasn't. The Cruze is proven (exceptional results in all tests). The Impreza comes from a maker that consistently earns excellent test results, but I did take a gamble and could be disappointed.

I have experience with the 2.5L I5 in a 2007 Rabbit (6AT) and also took a 2012 Golf 5MT on a long test drive
    That's fantastic you've had such good experiences. I wish mine were the same since that engine has a reputation for durability, but my FE results were dramatically different. Granted, that was only over a 1,000 miles with an auto in the Golf, but I couldn't break 29 mpg in straight highway. I'm on business this week and rented an auto 2012 Beetle with the I5 motor. Drove 310 miles today, nearly all highway. Computer showed 31.1 mpg and manual calculations showed 29.14. I just can't catch a break with the I5, but it does seem much peppier than I remember. I'm glad it's working for you, though, in the FE category.
    There's limited space below the cargo floor. You'll be inserting the tools around the spare, and I couldn't fit my first aid kit in there.
    Same here, Pao. I had one hard start the day after I bought it, and since then have waited a couple of seconds to prime the fuel injectors before engaging the starter motor. No repeat occurrences.
  • so...am nearly ready to shoot on this car, BUT...developing some concern with things we can't really determine pre-purchase. we live in super-hilly san francisco and are considering this as a city car + the frequent weekend getaway-mobile (to mostly non-snowy climes, but skiing as well). we don't commute. i've ruled out pretty much all competitors except ford focus on various grounds (including a huge one, which is our super-small shared garage slot -- current car mazda protege 174 inches long and 67 wide).

my biggest concerns are safety (we have small children) and fitting in our garage. mileage is a distant third. will impreza fit the bill? will the constant hill and city and city/hill driving harsh our mellow?

finally: i've always driven a manual, but gotta go with the CVT 'cause of mileage.

thanks for any insights. most folks here live in places with harsher weather, but a safe, small car is still what we want here in SF.
    thanks. too bad. i could fit a lot of stuff with the spare in my old civic. i was hoping to have a nice place to hide the jumper cables (which i have never had to use for myself, but always handy to help others) but maybe that's what AAA is for? :)

i don't carry much with me toolwise: just a small socket set and leatherman for emergencies but maybe all i really need is the latter. i'd like to hide my first aid kit in there too (mine is pretty small).

anyway, i guess i'll have to wait and see...
  • thom52thom52 Posts: 30
    "Same here, Pao. I had one hard start the day after I bought it, and since then have waited a couple of seconds to prime the fuel injectors before engaging the starter motor. No repeat occurrences. "

My wife has been very careful to do the full waiting with key "ON" routine, putting on her seat belt after turning the key and waiting for gauges to flop around. A bit of a hassle, but she got into the routine. Then it happened again even with that and it wasn't THAT cold of a day. Hopefully this AWD car can run in something other than Florida or South CA summer weather.

Someone on another Impreza forum claims they "fixed" it by running "Sea Foam" gas cleaner (and a tankful of high octane, which might be optional) through the system. He claims that fixed ALL the hard starting problem (implied no more waiting required) and actually picked up a couple MPG, even a couple tankfuls later.

Theory is some gunk or residue from the fabrication process got into the tank or fuel system and needs to be cleaned out.

My only hesitation in trying this very easy and cheap possible fix is I thought I remember seeing somewhere in Owners Manual NOT to put any fuel system cleaners in the tank.(and no explanation of why not). But I can't find that reference when I tried to find it again. Its certainly buried if its there.
    Might be worth the gamble. And even in my dim memory it was vague about what was "improper".

Just don't come after me if you try it and the fuel system welds itself into an unwarranted molten mess or something..... :P
  • techdudetechdude Posts: 87
    After driving the car for two days, i'm averaging about 34-35mpg. I drive 60 miles one way. 45 miles on the highway and 15 on the back road. I haven't changed my driving style as i rarely go over 65 on the highway and try to cost downhill as much as possible.
    Hmmm, that's an interesting theory about the deposits. Top tier gas will already contain detergents, so it seems like regular filling with quality gasoline would accomplish the same end result. We've only had the one occurrence with a hard start, which just required a second turn of the key, so I haven't tried anything else to troubleshoot.
  • bruusterbruuster Posts: 2
    I too drive a lot of hills daily. On the downhill if the engine seems to be braking too much, I just flip the shifter paddles to raise the gear to 5th or 6th.
    This works well for me. On winding downhills I move to manual mode and rarely use the brakes.

Limited Hatchback CVT
  • My #1 is safety, too. Every Subaru is an IIHS top pick. NHTSA hasn't tested the Impreza yet, but this is one area I have no worries about. I have a 3 & 5 year old, with two car seats firmly in the back - I could cross the safety concerns off my list.
    The car parks well in the city, though I'm getting used to judging things without a trunk, but it turns tightly which is key. I can also fit it easily in my small 1940s garage. There's probably 4" on each side of the mirror entering the garage.
    Now the hills - I have a feeling that you could do better on MPG taking on hills. I never realized how hilly my commute to work is until I started watching the RPMs in my CVT. The car likes to ensure you have reserve power, so it's not eager to stay in virtual-top-gear going up a hill. You can also hear the engine & CVT get loud up hills. Noise notwithstanding, you'll never drive up a hill and mutter "i think i can i think i can" under your breath. ;)

If it were me, not living where there's snow, I might go with the Focus on the MPG alone, except that the Impreza's back seat felt marginally bigger, which is nice with kids, especially getting them in and out of their car seats.
  • thom52thom52 Posts: 30
    We contacted a local "expert" Subaru mechanic (not authorized to do warranty work unfortunately) and he STRONGLY insists Sea Foam is a bad idea. He did not seem to have any proposed solutions either though.

Took it to the dealer and they said "no codes, no problem", and insisted we were the only people in the world to have this problem.

My wife INSISTED they log the problem, which they strongly resisted. Of course there are no other reports of the problem if no one logs the problem.

People need to be reporting and insisting they log this problem if Subaru is EVER going to address it, since its been apparently an issue for years now.
    I have run nothing but Shell and Sunoco in my Limited.....agree that folks need to at least document the hard starts when they take them into the dealers for maintenance....
  • Thanks Bob. Could you let us know when you picking it ? I'll trying to aim at that price. Good luck
    hi all,
    so i got some great news from my dealer. it appears that our Limited 5DR is coming in "early." it's ETA is April 6 which is basically 4 weeks from the day we placed the order. the dealer said that this sometimes happens when your vehicle matches what is available (maybe 1 in 10 orders).

anyway, getting greedy, i'm trying to figure out what the updated status means. it's supposed to have an estimated arrival (presumably at the dealer) of April 6, but it's Scheduled date is March 29. is the latter some sort of "in port date" and then it takes a week or so to get to the dealer after everything is said and done?

thanks for any experiences. i'm getting excited! :)
  • "Thanks Bob. Could you let us know when you picking it ? I'll trying to aim at that price. Good luck"

I just got a message from the dealer, my order is coming in early.
    Originally I thought I would be waiting until May, they said it's coming in 4/5.

If you are in the SF area, I think the prices are good.
    I got another email from Stevens Creek Subaru saying that they would knock off another $250 from their last quote. So I think they are still being aggressive with prices.
    The $100 off invoice price I'm getting is still a better deal...
    interesting: i wonder if our is coming in on the same truck to the bay area? (mine is apr 6)...

maybe production is ramping up to meet demand...
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,457
    The $100 off invoice price I'm getting is still a better deal...

I thought you said you got it for $1000 below invoice?
  • Yes, I missed a 0.

1 thousand off invoice is what I'm getting.

I think Stevens Creek Subaru's new offer probably would have amounted to $700 off invoice.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    mine is due into the dealer on the 6th, also. But he said, due to trucking logistics, it may be a day earlier or a day later. He did give me a VIN number.
  • larry1135larry1135 Posts: 43
    My understanding is that there is an order numer created with your name attached to it and when the car is made and shipped it shows a VIN with your order. I had the manager at Subaru show the order screen.
  • Hi Bob,
    Wow! very good. I chat with internet representative yesterday that I'm looking for something similar to your order( price and option ). She said that internet sale manager will contact me the same day, but until now haven't heard from them.
    Could you tell me how did you start your dealing with them from beginning? thank you so much.

Eric
  • Eric,

I asked for quote through edmunds.com and carsdirect.com.
    Capital subaru works with both of those sites.
    The internet director (Jamie Cassady) of sales there contacted me by email.
    Keep in mind, you only get better pricing for ordering instead of car off the lot.
    I'm not sure why that's case, but all of the dealers told me that.