Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• al_wblal_wbl Posts: 2
    How did you find out it was in port? My delivery date is April 9 too, but I haven't been told anything.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,644
    edited April 2012
    I lucked out like that as well when I purchased my Forester a few years ago. I ended up with a three-week wait time, which worked out great because I was able to fly down and drive it home in late September while the roads were still dry. Initially, I was expecting it to be mid-to-late October before it was at the dealer.

My dealer said that one of the things that can influence availability is whether you get a car with factory or port-installed accessories. The way I understand it is that the accessories that can simply be tacked on without taking anything apart are generally port-installed, while others that require disassembly to install are factory-installed.

With mine, I got it with nothing but the "rugged package," and all those items (mud deflectors, wheel-arch moldings, side molding, cross bars, rear bumper protector, etc) are port-installed.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
    so...no rattles noticeable so far (thank God! this is one area that drives me nuts with some new cars), and i'm enjoying driving the car. but i have noticed one peculiar things with my "trip computer."

it has shown and continues to show 240 miles of driving range remaining. that is very far off since the tank is supposed to full (or nearly so...all bars showing and the dealer was supposed to fill it to full) and i'm getting 32+ mpg average so far on the first 30 miles or so.

i remember someone saying that a glitch occurred for them where the tank didn't show full when they had bought gas with the accessory switch on. i wonder if something like that happened here. but for me, it doesn't correct itself after shutting of the car and restarting. we'll see what happens in the days ahead, and this is not something i'll look at regularly, but stil...it's definitely not doing what it is supposed to do.
    one more short post...

one oddity i ran across today. they had to drill holes in the front bumper to match the standard spacing for the license plate and holder. what are the two bigger holes for? Europe? Japan?

weird that the holes weren't where i would have thought they would have been...
  • hcalcathcalcat Posts: 30
    i like the homelink mirror. it is easy to program and works great. the wire behind my mirror has a little play to allow for movement. the compass is accurate once you enter the correct zone code.

i was originally told 6-8 weeks when i ordered it. in early march, i was told sometime in april. around 20 march, i was told delivery would be by 4 april. on 30 march, i was told the car arrived and i arranged to pick it up the next day.

i like how the bluetooth syncs with my iphone to play my music and pandora radio. the music info is blank on the radio display, however. is there any way to display it?

my average speed is 13 mph and my mpg is 21.5 in the 120 miles i've driven. the fuel gauge shows 3/4 full and 280 mile range remaining. my wife is averaging 34 mpg with an average speed of 27 mph on her accent.
    @halcat
    mirror: good to know. i would have thought they could could have had the wire completely hidden in s sleeve beween the headliner and the mirror rather than have the wire be visible.

delivery: sounds very much like my experience! we both were pretty fortunate to encounter such a quick turnaround.

bluetooth: i haven't explored it much so i can't answer your queestion about music info for pandora (it does show info when it is using the native iphone music data). i have an old ipod i'd like to dedicate to the car (although i'm realizing i need to set up playlists because scrolling through 1000 albums albums is a bit much! i wish there was a way to "page up/down" as well as moving through an individual page of selections); i actually have run into the "problem" reported previously with it automatically starting to play music via BT (i also have an iphone) if that source is selected.

i think my average speed is in the 20's and current mileage is 32.3 mpg according to the computer. i'll do a real calculation of it when i buy gas.

enjoy your car and i hope your mileage creeps up! (i've been driving mine fairly gingerly (although trying to vary RPMs and speeds). maybe my mileage is high because in waiting for this to arrive, i've been very conscious of fuel saving techniques driving my wife's Prius. :) (i've been able to average 50-51 overall when i've driven her 2007 model)
  • hcalcathcalcat Posts: 30
    i have the same glitch with mine only it continually shows 280 miles of driving remaining. i didn't notice it until you mentioned it. hopefully it will register correctly after my first fill-up and reset.

regarding the homelink mirror, the electrical wire is housed in a plastic sleeve coming off the headliner to near the mirror. the sleeve is mounted on the windshield. there is about 3 inches of exposed wire coming off the sleeve near the mirror.

when i select cd/aux, it also automatically starts playing a tune from my iphone.
    ok: at least i'm not alone. hopefully, it will correct itself on the next reset.

homelink: yes, that's what the instructions indicate. i'll need to look at my wife's prius, but i don't think hers has a wire showing...the wire feeds through the center of the mirror itself instead of "peeling off to the side" and needing slack to account for movement.

cd/aux: yes, that's what i encounter. it's not really a "problem" (that's why i quoted it) as long as you don't leave it on BT and forget about that as it might drain the iphone's battery unexpectedly. i actually hope to disable the audio portion of the BT and keep the phone part alive although i dont' anticipate using the BT much at all since i'm one of those people who refuses to talk on the phone while driving. ;)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Many new cars will run the A/C without an indicator when you have the system in any windshield condensation clearing/prevention mode. The other possibility in heavy traffic is the radiator electric cooling fans switching on or into high speed mode.
    Why is it that the WRX gets the mostly non-functional VC for coupling engine torque to the rear driveline when even the base (dare I say cheapest?) Impreza gets the (seemingly) much more functional DCCD system..?

You have to buy the $$$$ Sti version of the WRX in order to get the DCCD system.

Why, whats with that..?
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,478
    edited April 2012
    The "regular" Impreza does not get DCCD, only the STi.

5spd = VC (Continuous)
    CVT = clutch plates (Active)
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    At 2124 miles, it was down to the bottom hole of the dipstick. Put a qt of synthetic in and ran it for a few minute. The oil seemed even below the hole, even after letting it sit a bit. Added another qt and the level is up past the top hole. Drove it about 3-4 miles and came home with the light still on. The next day was my car appt, went to the post office to drop off some mail, the light finally went off. That's about another 2-3 miles down the road.
    Hmm... that would make me nervous. The oil light is based on the oil pressure sending unit. It shouldn't come on unless the car is 2+ quarts low on oil. The holes on the dipstick represent the "full" and "add" levels, with a quart of variance between the two.

So, here's what doesn't make sense: First, if your oil light came on, I would expect ~two quarts low. You check the oil level and it shows on the lower mark, or ~ one quart low. If the dipstick was correct, the oil light should not have come on unless the oil pressure was low, which it would not have been by quantity alone.

Next, you add a quart (assuming that would take you to full), drive it, and the light stays on. You check the oil, and it shows at the same level (or possibly even lower). Okay, so now what? If the car was ~two low to start with versus the dipstick level of one quart, it would either be one quart low now or full. Either way, the light should go off (within a few seconds of starting the engine).

Then, you add yet another quart, which should, again, take you to full.... now you're OVER the full mark, and the light still doesn't go off almost immediately? Something's wrong with the oil pressure or the sending unit.

The very first thing I would do is drain the oil into an empty container to determine just how much is in the engine. If your oil is over-full, that's the surest way of blowing your front main and camshaft seals, and/or your valve cover gaskets. You shouldn't drain any more than 3.5 to 4 quarts out of the pan.

Next, hook an actual pressure gauge up to the sending unit to monitor (should be easily accessible on the front of the block near the center, but I don't know if they moved the location on the FB blocks), or use a scan tool that has the ability to do that. You'll need to know what the normal range for that car is, though.

Actually, this a new car, so perhaps these suggestions are better made to your service department than to you directly. ;)
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 849
    The two holes in the front bumper from the factory are for Japanese license plates.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I have not read much of my owners manual yet. I use my bluetooth for my phone but I never stream audio, I have a separate iPod for that. Can we keep the phone bluetooth and disable the music streaming feature? Is that a function of the car or the phone?
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    Sound advice from a grease monkey ;) . Unfortunately, I don't know much about the how tos. I'm just happy the light is off. But will check the oil level when I get home. So over the oil level is not good huh? I should drain some oil just to be safe? Thanks for the advice XwesX.
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    edited April 2012
    My daughter knows more on this than me :blush: , but your phone bluetooth and the audio bluetooth are synced or "paired" seperate. I have my phone sync to do the regular phone bluetooth, and she has her ipod synced to the audio bluethooth (BT-Audio). Only one Bluetooth audio divice can be paired, so my other kids will have to use the USB port.

This is for the premium level audio system or what the mannual refers to as Type B.
    ah! thanks for the explanation.

i guess they don't want to make multiple model bumpers for different markets...although if they can do different climate systems and "information systems," why not? ;)

(still wishing he had the Canadian info system although i'm guessing they pay for it in the car cost...)
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Cool. Thanks. My salesman synced my phone for me when I took delivery. If I had done it myself I might have known that. I'll check my manual to see if I can undo the audio portion.
    me, too. i'll have to try to disable the audio portion or start from scratch. i don't recall though that the salesperson did anything special to enable both of them (actually, i did the setup with him instructing me)
    Hahaha; hey, that's why I said it might be something for your service dept to perform! :blush:

Over the top hole is not good. A few millimeters is within the margin of error and won't hurt anything, but if it is 10 or more (~1/2"), yes, it could cause serious oil leak issues down the road. They will start slow and grow progressively worse over time.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,478
    You shouldn't drain any more than 3.5 to 4 quarts out of the pan. ...

That little FB20 takes 5.3 quarts of oil (w/ filter change).

BTW, the FB25 takes 5.5 quarts.
    Oh, wow... that's a quart over the EJ25. Okay, add a quart to those numbers! ;)
    Xspd = VC (Continuous)

NOT...!

VC implementations are reactive, only couple torque AFTER of period of wheelspin/slip(***). At least thats the way they worked prior to ABS, VDC, etc, becoming standard equipment.

With the DCCD system and any of these safety features, ABS, CDC, etc, activate the DCCD coupling can be INSTANTLY opened.

So I suspect, like the '01 F/awd Lexus RX300, before stability control, etc, become standard the VC actually worked, after....NOT.

***Since TC will almost always activate the instant wheelspin/slip is detected there will be little or no opportunity for the VC to ever "stiffen".
    driving range update: my driving range predictor has now gone up to 290 (from 240! i now have about 55 miles on the car averaging just under 30mpg, so this still isn't right...
    i know i read somewhere what it represents, but can someone refresh my memory:

i know the MPG indicator (below the speedometer) indicates current mileage above/below the current trip average, however, what do the tick marks represent? 1 mpg each?

thanks!
    I don't think the lines mean anything. For me this week anything above current 55mpg seemd to have a needle pegged right(+). Anything under 10mpg the needle was pegged left(-). When at or really close to the average MPG the needle was in the middle.

I just filled up for the first time. 10 gallons. 310 miles.
    Computer showed 33.3 mpg.
    The tank wasn't 100% full when I picked it up. Something like 2 bars down.
    I think there was 4 bars still showing on the gas gauge when I filled up.
    I tend never to empty a tank to get the warning light. the warning light comes on with 2.6 gallons left. I wonder what that means for the bars displayed on the gauge. I also notice I could "top-off" much more than my old subaru. Yes, not a good thing to do but I just wanted to see how much more goes in once the pump shuts off. I didn't actuall watch gallons, but it was about another dollars worth or so.
    I think you need more miles and a longer trip. I'm not sure how the range is predicted, but mine also started (first tank) near 240. That was after the dealer had the car idling for 5-10 minutes and less than 10 miles on the odometer.

Once I had numerious miles (100+??) the gause started to reflect more realistic numbers and went up to 330 or something. After my fill-up, its at 450 or something like that.

--jay
  • birdadlybirdadly Posts: 10
    Quote: "How did you find out it was in port? My delivery date is April 9 too, but I haven't been told anything."

The dealer told me, and at the same time gave me the VIN #. After that, I got a message saying it would be ready this week instead of next, and I got a call last night from the finance manager to set up an appointment. So my April 9th date turned into April 4th!!
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    warning light will come on and NO bars will be showing...so the 2.6ish reserve isnt part of the bar indicator...but is part of the estimated mileage left on the dash cluster........about to roll 10K in my limited HB sometime late next week!!!!!