Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• I've noticed this too. It's not like the car is unstable - if I'm at speed and I remove my hand from the wheel the car continues to go straight.

Perhaps it's because the electrically-boosted steering is still too sensitive to input at high speed. So by virtue of holding on to the wheel and how fast the car is going, a tiny movement translates into the car moving a noticeable amount.

I wonder if they could fix this in software.
  • Ok, here's my issue, hopefully it's just me...

My rear defogger is very week. When we had 1/16th inch of frozen ice on the car a month ago, the rear defogger barely unfroze the ice, even after being on for 5 minutes. I just scraped the iced off and went to work.

Last night's commute home, under very humid conditions, the AC cleared up the fog on the front window quickly, but the rear defogger did a poor job.

After 5 minutes of it being on, only +/- 1/8th inch of fog was cleared on both sides of the rear defogger lines. After 15 minutes of being on, only half the window had cleared.

Do others experience similar rear defogger results?
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    For the slight drift, I'd say it might be a air pressure or alignment issue if there is a constant pull to one side. If its going where you point it and its just very sensitive to any wheel movement it could be its just a new car with tighter suspension and steering than your used to. My Subies have never had alignment issues and the steering is a bit more sensitive to inputs with no to very little dead spots in the middle.

For the "almost incident", I take it it felt like the car was about to spin out, but didn't. The sharp bumps may have gotten the wheels loose (bouncing. The low profile tires may have played a role? I'm new to these 205/50 R17 tire sizes so I'm not sure. All my previous cars have much taller side walls. I'm fairly sure the CVT didn't play a role and the AWD may have saved the car from spinning.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I never noticed that mine was not opening all the way, but mine behaves like this as well.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Rear defoggers are only "niceties" and in todays world everything get looked at for FE effects. Weakness therefore shouldn't be any surprise.
  • thom52thom52 Posts: 30
    Have you checked the tire pressure?
    After being warned, I checked my tire pressure and sure enough it still had the 40psi shipping pressure, which the dealer overlooked during "prep".
    That would definitely make a car wander a bit more.

My Impreza was feeling like it my cars do before I take them in for alignment, a bit floaty, but dropping the tire pressure to something reasonable really helped the tracking.

But if the tire pressure is ALL correct all around, alignment being off could definitely be a factor in wandering steering. At least worth checking.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,631
    G'day

Subarus are unusual: sports cars with a frumpy body.

The down side of their remarkable handling and road control is their sensitivity to even minor variations in inputs. I found that a variation of even 1psi in tyre pressure or a very minor misalignment (even some mud inside a wheel) would affect handling dramatically.

They are not your average "family-mobile"!

Reducing tyre pressures will reduce the sensitivity, but make it softer for handling.

Cheers

Graham
  • birdadlybirdadly Posts: 10
    Thanks for checking yours!

I think it's silly that the moonroof is like this. But, I emailed Subaru and they said they tested one they had there, and sure enough it does the same thing... so that makes it "normal".
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,472
    edited April 2012
    Page 2-25 of the Owner's Manual - Hint: it's that thick book in the glove box. ;)

NOTE
    Driving with the moonroof fully open can cause an annoying sound to be generated at high speeds. If this occurs, use the moonroof at the initial stop position of 16 in (40 cm) away from the fully closed position.
    Ordered Sport Limited with Moonroof on March 5.

My VIN finally arrived overnight. ETA = May 10 (duration = 9.5 weeks)
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I assumed that might be the reason but based on one or two trips I do not really notice a difference in the sound level between the two positions.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Make sure the rear windows is nice and clean.

I noticed that on my Miata and it was filthy. Works better now.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    I beleive all moonroofs work that way with the stop prior to fully opening...my 09 CTS works the same was as well......the only difference is it also auto retracts the sunshade as well with it.....
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    took a 166.9 mile trip today, 90% freeway on cruise at 68-70 mph, and 20 miles of rural at about 55 mph with 15-20 stops. Trip mpg said 37.8 mpg, my tank fill took 4.06 gallons for 41 mpg (3 clicks both filling and re-filling). Average speed was 56 mph. No AC use. CVT/premium/hatch.

The re-set on the tank fill gave me a range of 530 gallons. I've got 1150 miles on the car now.

John
  • hcalcathcalcat Posts: 30
    Thanks dfong, for the posting your settings on the NASIOC site. I tried them and even with my "tin" ear, I can tell and appreciate the difference it makes. Only change is that I turned the treble up a notch to +4. Sounds much "fuller" with the "loudness" turned on.

I checked my tire pressure and they came at around 40 pounds and so I adjusted them down to 34/32 and it made the ride much smoother.

Next week I am planning on having the windows tinted 35% because the DGM car gets warm on sunny days. Another thing I am contemplating doing is painting the front grill black because the silver stands out too much in my opinion. Have to check with my dealers service department on how to remove the grill assembly so I can Plasti-dip it.

So far I am happy with the car except for the intermittent assorted squeaks and rattles. It doesn't do it all the time and doesn't annoy me that much.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Well, I now have an uphill battle brewing. Mywife decided she wants to wait till end of July or August for a new vehicle to replace "The Beast". She also states that with the Pilot its nice to have the extra seats now that are girls are getting into more activities (it the dreaded soccer mom quote, I know) and that "We should look into a vehicle thats able to carry more than 5, but not a MV." I threw back at her.. Why not go for the Impreza with the really good mileage and lower price then in 6-8 years go back to the larger SUV when the goverment has all vehicle required to make 30+mpg city as the set standard. She came back, "Cause I don't want you (me) to have a better looking car than mine (hers)."

So, besides the Impreza, I decided to humor her and look at the bigger vehicles. Not 1 is under $36k compared to the Imp at $25k loaded to the gills. The lowest (but only seats 6) is a Canyon / Colorado Crew at $32k loaded to the teeth.

Now, I have been offered $14k trade on "The Beast" and he has been paid off since I got him. Somebody pass me the pepto please. :sick:

Odie
    Have to check with my dealers service department on how to remove the grill assembly so I can Plasti-dip it.

Doesn't look like fun ... gotta take the front bumper off.
    http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/66129/pdf/066129-j1010fj000xx.PDF
  • PZEV has been made a "mandatory option" by Subaru in my home state - Indiana, and probably in every state. You can't buy an Impreza without it (I think the same is true for the Forester). PZEV costs $300.

The price is not a big deal for me, and ordinarily I'd be in favor of paying a little extra for an environmentally beneficial feature.

The problem is that unlike in California and other states that require PZEV, Subaru does not warranty the PZEV and related emissions hardware where I live. The price of the vehicle is the same, but the purchaser simply doesn't get the Subaru PZEV warranty. In California, PZEV is covered by a 15 year/150,000 mile Subaru warranty. In most other states, however, once the basic car warranty expires, the owner is on his/her own.

Do people have thoughts about this? I tend to keep my cars for a long time. Is the owner of a vehicle with non-warrantied PZEV likely to face major repair costs down the road?
  • techdudetechdude Posts: 87
    5 weeks later and after the first 3000 mile oil change i'm getting 36-37mpg. Before the first oil change i was getting 34.5. I commute 60 miles one way, 45 on the highway and 15 on back roads. I drive between 65-70mph and coast downhill for the most part. No major complaints, but the indicator light for the airbag being off/on is an annoyance, as it seems out of place.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    not sure that is correct.....its warrantied here in MD based on what I see in the warranty book...not sure where you are getting the CA numbers from based on this: Copied from SOA site based on years... it would seem the PZEV would fall under 2, 5 and 8 year warranty....

Year Unlimited Mileage
    Replacement Parts And Accessories Limited Warranty

Year 24,000 Miles
    Federal Specification Emissions Performance Warranty

Year 36,000 Miles
    New Car Limited Warranty, Federal Specifications Emissions Defect Warranty

Year 60,000 Miles
    Powertrain Limited Warranty

Year Unlimited Mileage
    Rust Perforation Limited Warranty

Year 70,000 Miles
    California Specifications Emissions Extended Defect Warranty

Year 80,000 Miles
    Federal Specifications Emissions Extended Defect Warranty

Life
    Time Lifetime
    Seat Belt Lifetime Limited Warranty

will have to look at the manual later for full details
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
    you are welcome. glad i could help someone out with a starting point.

i'm trying not to let the intermittent rattles and squeaks get to me, but i have better and worse days...

funny: it's both comforting and frustrating that others have the squeaks/rattles. comforting that it's normal in many ways and my expectations are probably unrealistic and need to relax more about the rattles ;), but also frustrating that in this area, the car has some consistent issues that plague a certain fraction of the cars. (i guess that's what we get for buying the first year in a new generation car...then again, i haven't heard of anyone here or on NASIOC pursuing these rattles with the dealer which means if uncomplained about or debugged on a large number of cars, these problems will persist for the 2013 owners)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,576
    That's how I feel about it too. If I don't insist on them being fixed, the problems will simply persist into future model years. So, given that the rattles, in general, have lessened in the five years since I first purchased a new Subaru, perhaps I have done my part. Then again, they are still a regular occurrence. *sigh*

I was very pleased with my Forester during the first 500 miles I owned it, but then the rattles started. By the time I made it home two days later at 2,200 miles, I was about ready to shoot that car. Thankfully, a day at the dealership had them all fixed and they have not returned (I'm at about 200 miles shy of 40,000 now). The only rattle I currently have is a lift-gate rattle, but it's a doosey!
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • I'm pretty sure I'm correct about the PZEV warranty. The PZEV extended warranty is only provided in a handful of states, including California. The rest of us are required to purchase PZEV on the Impreza (it is no longer made without PZEV), but we don't get the warranty. From the downloadable Impreza brochure: "1 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 and Forester, Outback, Legacy 2.5 non-turbo models achieving a Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) rating by the California Air Resources Board are available in all 50 states. Only those registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont will be eligible for the 15 years/150,000 mile emission warranty."

I wrote a note to customer service at Subaru, and they confirmed that the extended 15 year/150,000 mile warranty on PZEV related components is not provided in states other than than those listed above.

It may be that some of the PZEV components are covered by the 8 year Federal emissions warranty, I don't know. But the far more extensive 15 year warranty won't apply.

Thus I am trying to guess how much of an expense maintaining PZEV will be as the years go by. I'm not really worried about whether or not the cars' emissions might creep up a bit (though I'd rather they didn't!), but I am worried about whether or not failures in various PZEV related parts including the numerous sensors and engine computer might cause more serious problems, that I would have to pay to repair myself.

I tend to hang on to cars for a long time.
    Subaru designs the systems to last longer, so it can at least outlast the CA law. So if anything it's intentionally designed to be more durable.
    edited April 2012
    ... Only those registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont will be eligible for the 15 years/150,000 mile emission warranty."

That list is out of date. :sick:

From wikipedia ...

States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.[2][3] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.

My state has required PZEV for several years and it's not on Subaru's "extended" list. :confuse:

My assumption is that the extend emissions warranty applies to any PZEV vehicle registered in one of the CARB states.
  • rxman4rxman4 Posts: 2
    I just went to a Subaru dealer near work to get my first oil change yesterday- I get home and check the oil level - ONE INCH OVER full - if thats not bad enough, I look at the oil filter - didn't look like original. I went to the dealer this morning and he takes the car in right away - Works on it and states oil level has been corrected apologizes and shows me a Subaru Bulletin PB001133 that "HE" states says the two filter numbers are interchangeable - I look at it and say,YES, for the 2.5 Subaru Forester BUT the next paragraph states for 2012 Impreza you MUST USE part 15208AA160 or it wont function correctly - THATS SUBARU's words not mine. The dealer had put on part 15208AA130 which can ONLY be switched on the Forester NOT the IMPREZA.

Make sure, since its easy to see, that your oil filter is part 15208AA160 ( as listed in the manual) when you get an oil change - the dealer didn't even have the filter, he had to send out for it - I now have a loaner
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    strange, 1 inch higher is way more than the volume of the oil filter itself (which, should have been picked up at the dealer at servicing, as it would only take a few seconds to reach level). I'd bet the difference in the filters is a drainback check valve, which wouldn't matter in the Forester (filter pointed down) but would matter on the Impreza (filter pointed up).

John
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,576
    edited April 2012
    Well, it wouldn't matter in the Forester up to the 2011 model year only. It was the first Subaru model to receive an FB-series block, with the oil filter mounted on the top of the engine. So, for current Foresters, the drainback issue would be as pertinent as it is with the 2012 Impreza.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited April 2012
    The only time that has ever happened to me, '92 LS400 at Lexus of Bellevue, the X McD flipper had neglicted to drain the old oil before dumping in the new.
    Fortunately should be no harm done because the oil had just been changed, so it's not like the (brand new) filter had a ton of filth in it that flowed back in to the engine.

Nice catch, though. I also inspect stuff after its service. I even stopped taking my Sienna to shops to get even free oil changes because they would over-tighten it every single time.