Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• larry1135larry1135 Posts: 43
    edited March 2012
    "Maybe not in YOUR city."

My city is Chicago which I believe is rated #1 for worst traffic.

Did a google search 2010 Chicago was rated #3 for worst city traffic.
  • Are you in the US or Canada? I'm assuming US because you mentioned New York. If your getting 29 US mpg, that would be about 34 Imperial MPG is what reference Canadians use. My current car gets 14-20 Imperial MPG, all city driving, depending if its winter or summer, so 34 MPG would be a big jump. I've been driving like an old grandpa too, but it doesn't seem to help.

PS. My current car is a '97 Legacy Outback 2.5 AWD.
  • Turn it in FWD? What year/make/model of outback did you have? Was there a distance limit on FWD only?
  • techdudetechdude Posts: 87
    Finally picked up the car today and it was worth the wait in my opinion. I drove it home from the dealership, about 70 miles and got around 33 mpg according to on board calculation. I'd say that's about 90% highway and driving like i normally would. Anyway, thanks to all on this forum because i learned a lot and saved even more! Good luck to all soon to be owners!
  • rayccraycc Posts: 28
    it was 2001 outback. I don't think there was distance limit.
  • camdollcamdoll Posts: 13
    I just got home from a long 9.5 hour trip from PDX to the bay area. I too have been disappointed with my MPG in my 5spd, though I do have quite the heavy foot.

Typically I drive a good equal split city/highway and have been getting about 23.4 mpg (lifetime). My trip to CA I drove about 75-85 and only got about 26.1mpg on the way there. For some unknown reason, driving habits the same, on the way back I got 29.3mpg. If I had the patience (I was alone on a very long one day road trip) I would have gone closer to 65mph and probably would've gotten much better.

Overall, I'm still a little disappointed in the MPG. Maybe it will continue to get better as I get more miles on it. After the trip I have 2600 miles on the engine.
  • debbadoo2debbadoo2 Posts: 24
    For those of you with the Limited trim, how do you like the leather seats? Comfort? Quality?
  • Bob,

Thank for fast reply. Your price is still the best one that I know.
  • cgalnycgalny Posts: 8
    >>>
    I have always thought of cruise control as something to be used on freewheeling freeway driving. (non-existent in our area). What is your technique for using cruise control in heavy stop-go City traffic? Maybe that would help.
    >>>

Well, first of all I never use the cruise in heavy stop and go traffic, but I do use it in virtually every other type of driving scenario.

I admit this is dangerous if you're not careful and fully aware of the traffic ahead of you. I'm not sure I can describe the technique properly. What I do is I turn the cruise on and then use the cancel button as a quasi-brake, whenever possible. And then re-engage the cruise to accelerate. The reason I do this is two fold. First of all because it's sort of interesting and takes some of the monotony out of driving, but mainly because as I mentioned earlier the cruise has an even lighter "foot" than me and maximizes mileage. I'm not going to recommend this method of driving to others, but it's become second nature for me now and I feel safe driving this way. But the Impreza's cruise seems especially good at saving gas, compared to other cars I've had.
  • cgalnycgalny Posts: 8
    >>>
    Are you in the US or Canada? I'm assuming US because you mentioned New York.
    >>>

I'm in NY. And by the way, the mpg figures I'm quoting are actual, manually computed mpg numbers. The car's computer is quite inaccurate, averaging about 1.5 to 2 mpg too generous in its mpg computation. But that's the case in all of my cars equipped with computers, so I won't hold it against the Impreza.
  • There's a lot of splash about 2012 impreza being 'all new' and lots of great improvements.

I came across the 2007 impreza 2.0R and couldn't believe how similar it is to the 2012:
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Subaru-Impreza-2- 0R/

It seems that the only improvement in 2012 came from using CVT.
    The 2007 engine seems like a better one with peak torque delivered at 2000 rpm!!!

Why did they raised the peak torque to 4200 rpm on the 2012???

If you look around some more, you'll find the 2007 was 80 lb lighter than 2012.
  • angitheriasangitherias Posts: 35
    edited March 2012
    Was this model available in Canada/USA?

edit: did some quick research, looks like it was only available in Japan/Europe.
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
  • Bob,

Correct me if I am wrong that you haven't pick up your Impreza yet, right?

Eric
  • correct. I still have 4-6 weeks of wait left.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,630
    For those who have purchased or leased a 2012 Impreza, would you mind sharing:

* Why did you get an Impreza? What were the 1 or 2 most important reasons?
    * What other cars if any did you seriously consider?

The Impreza (2.0 Premium CVT) is on my list for my next car, but frankly it's not as high as some others, e.g. Mazda3i Touring 6MT and VW Golf 5MT. And possibly the Elantra GT 6MT but I haven't been able to see or drive it yet.

Thanks!
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    Not the Impreza 5speed? That would be the obvious competitor to the other cars you listed.. no?

FWIW, I was at the Subaru parts counter last week -- had to blow $100 Subaru bucks that expire next week -- and I asked them about experience with the CVTs.

They said no problems, really, "the biggest issue is for people to get used to how they drive." I haven't had the pleasure, yet... I've asked a salesman to give me a call if a manual-transmission "anything" comes in, then I'll drive both back-to-back and see for myself. I'm pretty much stuck on the manuals, though.

Do you have any reason to avoid the manual Impreza?
    Cheers -m
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 801
    Why:
    It was the whole package. Excellent gas mileage, superb handling, AWD, large interior space (relative to class), quality design/build, Subaru reputation for durability, competitive price.

Others considered:
    Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze, VW Golf, VW Jetta, Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic.
    Yes, the 5-speed WOULD be the natural competitor. Unfortunately, when I drove the 5-speed it was way too noisy and high-revving (read: fuel-gulping) for my taste, especially compared to the likes of 6MTs like the Mazda3 and Elantra. Even the Golf's 5MT is low-revving and quiet at cruise compared to the Impreza's, and Focus' 5MT also if not quite as low revving as the Golf. The CVT on the Impreza seemed much quieter, and lower revving. I expect it will get significantly better FE than the 5-speed, which is reflected in the EPA ratings. So that is a big strike against the Impreza for me vs. cars like the Mazda3 and Golf--not only will the Impreza cost more because of the CVT, but I won't have the fun of a manual. I have a CVT now (Sentra) and it's nice and quiet on the highway and gets good FE (better than its EPA ratings), but fun-to-drive it's not.

The Impreza's one big advantage of the cars I'm looking at is AWD. I'm just not sure I need it. I live where there can be a lot of snow, but in a metro area where snow removal is an art form. I've driven for 40 years w/o AWD, so I expect I can do w/o it, especially now that ESC with traction control is standard on new cars.
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the response. I agree on the AWD part of course. I'll take your word for Subaru's reputation for durability, although other cars I'm considering esp. the Mazda3 also have a very good reputation. I also like the visibility in the Impreza.

Some of the cars I'm looking at (Mazda3 and Elantra) surpass the Impreza in FE. (A used Prius is another option, but will go that route only if gas is ~$5/gallon next year when I buy--not exactly fun to drive!) I think the Mazda3, Focus, and Golf handle at least as well if not better than the Impreza. The Impreza's back seat is quite roomy, more leg room than the Mazda3 and Focus (but not as much as Elantra or Prius). Price-wise, just based on truecar.com for now, the Focus SE hatch would be cheapest as a new car, with the Mazda3 and Golf (2-door) a little more. A used Prius would be about the same as a new Mazda3, maybe a little more. The Impreza would be over $2000 more than the Golf or Mazda3 because I'd need to get the Premium CVT trim to get a car I could live with, and the discounts on the Impreza, at least in my area, are pretty slim right now. That could change by next year, when I'll buy. I don't know the pricing on the Elantra GT yet, as it's not available until this summer. I've driven the Elantra sedan but not the hatch (obviously).

I am only looking at hatches, so I'm not seriously considering cars like the Cruze, Jetta, or Civic. If I were considering sedans, I doubt those would make my short list. Cruze's back seat is too cramped for my needs, Jetta is not as nice nor as versatile as the Golf, and I couldn't live with the dash on the Civic (plus I prefer the way the Impreza/Mazda3/Golf/Focus ride and drive compared to the Civic.