Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2012
    The "regular" Impreza does not get DCCD, only the STi.

5spd = VC (Continuous)
    CVT = clutch plates (Active)
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    At 2124 miles, it was down to the bottom hole of the dipstick. Put a qt of synthetic in and ran it for a few minute. The oil seemed even below the hole, even after letting it sit a bit. Added another qt and the level is up past the top hole. Drove it about 3-4 miles and came home with the light still on. The next day was my car appt, went to the post office to drop off some mail, the light finally went off. That's about another 2-3 miles down the road.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    Hmm... that would make me nervous. The oil light is based on the oil pressure sending unit. It shouldn't come on unless the car is 2+ quarts low on oil. The holes on the dipstick represent the "full" and "add" levels, with a quart of variance between the two.

So, here's what doesn't make sense: First, if your oil light came on, I would expect ~two quarts low. You check the oil level and it shows on the lower mark, or ~ one quart low. If the dipstick was correct, the oil light should not have come on unless the oil pressure was low, which it would not have been by quantity alone.

Next, you add a quart (assuming that would take you to full), drive it, and the light stays on. You check the oil, and it shows at the same level (or possibly even lower). Okay, so now what? If the car was ~two low to start with versus the dipstick level of one quart, it would either be one quart low now or full. Either way, the light should go off (within a few seconds of starting the engine).

Then, you add yet another quart, which should, again, take you to full.... now you're OVER the full mark, and the light still doesn't go off almost immediately? Something's wrong with the oil pressure or the sending unit.

The very first thing I would do is drain the oil into an empty container to determine just how much is in the engine. If your oil is over-full, that's the surest way of blowing your front main and camshaft seals, and/or your valve cover gaskets. You shouldn't drain any more than 3.5 to 4 quarts out of the pan.

Next, hook an actual pressure gauge up to the sending unit to monitor (should be easily accessible on the front of the block near the center, but I don't know if they moved the location on the FB blocks), or use a scan tool that has the ability to do that. You'll need to know what the normal range for that car is, though.

Actually, this a new car, so perhaps these suggestions are better made to your service department than to you directly. ;)
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 800
    The two holes in the front bumper from the factory are for Japanese license plates.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I have not read much of my owners manual yet. I use my bluetooth for my phone but I never stream audio, I have a separate iPod for that. Can we keep the phone bluetooth and disable the music streaming feature? Is that a function of the car or the phone?
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    Sound advice from a grease monkey ;) . Unfortunately, I don't know much about the how tos. I'm just happy the light is off. But will check the oil level when I get home. So over the oil level is not good huh? I should drain some oil just to be safe? Thanks for the advice XwesX.
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    edited April 2012
    My daughter knows more on this than me :blush: , but your phone bluetooth and the audio bluetooth are synced or "paired" seperate. I have my phone sync to do the regular phone bluetooth, and she has her ipod synced to the audio bluethooth (BT-Audio). Only one Bluetooth audio divice can be paired, so my other kids will have to use the USB port.

This is for the premium level audio system or what the mannual refers to as Type B.
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
    ah! thanks for the explanation.

i guess they don't want to make multiple model bumpers for different markets...although if they can do different climate systems and "information systems," why not? ;)

(still wishing he had the Canadian info system although i'm guessing they pay for it in the car cost...)
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Cool. Thanks. My salesman synced my phone for me when I took delivery. If I had done it myself I might have known that. I'll check my manual to see if I can undo the audio portion.
    me, too. i'll have to try to disable the audio portion or start from scratch. i don't recall though that the salesperson did anything special to enable both of them (actually, i did the setup with him instructing me)
    Hahaha; hey, that's why I said it might be something for your service dept to perform! :blush:

Over the top hole is not good. A few millimeters is within the margin of error and won't hurt anything, but if it is 10 or more (~1/2"), yes, it could cause serious oil leak issues down the road. They will start slow and grow progressively worse over time.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    You shouldn't drain any more than 3.5 to 4 quarts out of the pan. ...

That little FB20 takes 5.3 quarts of oil (w/ filter change).

BTW, the FB25 takes 5.5 quarts.
    Oh, wow... that's a quart over the EJ25. Okay, add a quart to those numbers! ;)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Xspd = VC (Continuous)

NOT...!

VC implementations are reactive, only couple torque AFTER of period of wheelspin/slip(***). At least thats the way they worked prior to ABS, VDC, etc, becoming standard equipment.

With the DCCD system and any of these safety features, ABS, CDC, etc, activate the DCCD coupling can be INSTANTLY opened.

So I suspect, like the '01 F/awd Lexus RX300, before stability control, etc, become standard the VC actually worked, after....NOT.

***Since TC will almost always activate the instant wheelspin/slip is detected there will be little or no opportunity for the VC to ever "stiffen".
    driving range update: my driving range predictor has now gone up to 290 (from 240! i now have about 55 miles on the car averaging just under 30mpg, so this still isn't right...
    i know i read somewhere what it represents, but can someone refresh my memory:

i know the MPG indicator (below the speedometer) indicates current mileage above/below the current trip average, however, what do the tick marks represent? 1 mpg each?

thanks!
    I don't think the lines mean anything. For me this week anything above current 55mpg seemd to have a needle pegged right(+). Anything under 10mpg the needle was pegged left(-). When at or really close to the average MPG the needle was in the middle.

I just filled up for the first time. 10 gallons. 310 miles.
    Computer showed 33.3 mpg.
    The tank wasn't 100% full when I picked it up. Something like 2 bars down.
    I think there was 4 bars still showing on the gas gauge when I filled up.
    I tend never to empty a tank to get the warning light. the warning light comes on with 2.6 gallons left. I wonder what that means for the bars displayed on the gauge. I also notice I could "top-off" much more than my old subaru. Yes, not a good thing to do but I just wanted to see how much more goes in once the pump shuts off. I didn't actuall watch gallons, but it was about another dollars worth or so.
    I think you need more miles and a longer trip. I'm not sure how the range is predicted, but mine also started (first tank) near 240. That was after the dealer had the car idling for 5-10 minutes and less than 10 miles on the odometer.

Once I had numerious miles (100+??) the gause started to reflect more realistic numbers and went up to 330 or something. After my fill-up, its at 450 or something like that.

--jay
  • birdadlybirdadly Posts: 10
    Quote: "How did you find out it was in port? My delivery date is April 9 too, but I haven't been told anything."

The dealer told me, and at the same time gave me the VIN #. After that, I got a message saying it would be ready this week instead of next, and I got a call last night from the finance manager to set up an appointment. So my April 9th date turned into April 4th!!
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    warning light will come on and NO bars will be showing...so the 2.6ish reserve isnt part of the bar indicator...but is part of the estimated mileage left on the dash cluster........about to roll 10K in my limited HB sometime late next week!!!!!