Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That effect should diminish with wear, at least it did on the 2nd set of tires on my '98 Forester (the only time I felt significant tramlining).
  • easleseasles Posts: 7
    Hi there,
    I have a complaint about the bluetooth pairing algorithm.
    I have paired both my phone and my wife's phone (at different times).

I would like the system to recognize and connect (automagically) to each phone as we each drive the car. But alas, I cannot get the car to do this.

Not sure if this is an Impreza failure or a user error.

If I pair my phone and it is listed as the paired phone, then I can sit down in the car and it auto-connects seamlessly. Very cool.

But if I take my wife's (previously paired and stored) phone into the car, it won't auto-connect. I have to go into the menu, select her phone and then choose it as the active phone for it to recognize the other phone and pair.

This is a simple thing, I would think, as you are designing a phone system to accommodate more than one user.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any ideas?

Thx
  • I have the same issue and don't think it's user error. It's just the way the Subaru Bluetooth works. My personal experience with the Bluetooth setup is that it's very good in terms of voice quality, but I don't like the fact that there is no option other than voice dial. My other car allows me to scroll thru the stored numbers on the radio to find and dial the number I want to call. With the Subaru I have to use the phone to call a number that I have not setup for voice dial. It's really lame, but again the voice quality is very good.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    crud, a check engine light recall, and threats that if the car is not brought in pronto, we won't be able to re-register for next year:

"Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic to improve the monitoring parameters within the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDll) system for the engine coolant thermostat. This correction ensures that should there be an abnormal condition (i.e., the engine coolant does not reach or maintain the proper operating temperature), the “check engine light” will illuminate. The proper illumination of the “check engine light” is needed to alert you that corrective action may be required."
  • @once for all:

What's your source for this check engine light recall? And when was this recall issued?
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,472
    I received an email at 5:09 PM EDT.

This is from a link in my.subaru.com ...

Recall Service Program
    Engine Control Module Reprogramming | WQC39
    Service Program WQC-39
    Engine Control Module Reprogramming
    Vehicles Registered in the States of
    CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA

Dear Subaru Owner:

We would like to thank you for your selection of a Subaru vehicle. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction.

Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic to improve the monitoring parameters within the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDll) system for the engine coolant thermostat. This correction ensures that should there be an abnormal condition (i.e., the engine coolant does not reach or maintain the proper operating temperature), the “check engine light” will illuminate. The proper illumination of the “check engine light” is needed to alert you that corrective action may be required.

This software change has no effect on fuel economy or vehicle performance.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO PROMPTLY

We ask that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru Dealer as soon as possible to have your vehicle’s Engine Control Module software reprogrammed. This will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car longer on the day of your appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling. Your Subaru dealer will perform this modification at no cost to you.

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED OWNERS

The California Air Resources Board requires that emission related campaigns be completed prior to California’s vehicle registration renewal process; without this repair, you will not be able to register your vehicle during your next annual registration. Upon completion of this campaign, your California dealer will complete and provide you a “Proof of Correction Certificate.” If required, present the certificate to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (the “DMV”) when renewing your California registration as proof of campaign completion. If the DMV does not request the certificate, we recommend that you keep it for your records.

In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the service we are providing at no charge, your vehicle may not pass this test.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE

To locate the nearest Subaru Dealer you can access our website at http://www.subaru.com and select “Find a Dealer”.

For additional information and the most Frequently Asked Questions, please go to:
    • http://www.wqc39.service-campaign.com

If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:
    • Telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
    Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET
    Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET
    Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET
    • E-mail: Go to http://www.subaru.com and select “Contact Us”.
    • U.S. Postal mail: Write us at Subaru of America, Inc., Attn: CDS Department,
    P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000.

Please contact us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

Your continued satisfaction with Subaru is important to us. This update is intended to ensure your vehicle’s optimal performance. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.
  • IMO the stock Yokohama tires are HORRIBLE TIRES. At 11k miles they are cupping badly. Thump, thump thump going down a smooth paved road. I had them rotated and rebalanced to specs. every 5k miles. At 20k miles(if they last that long) I am replacing them with something decent. I like Michelin's so I'll try those first. By the way, I've had bad luck with every set of tires on my last 5 brand new cars---and 3 different tire makers. When I've replaced with Michelin's I've never changed tires again all the way to trade in at around 95k miles with each car.
  • If your tires are cupping, then I'm guessing they've spent most of their 11k mile life underinflated. I understand this--I find that my Yokos lose 1-2 psi/week. I try to check them at every fill-up now.
  • Just discovered that yesterday when my tire pressure warning light went on. All 4 tires were down about 5 to 6 PSI. Car was serviced about 3 months ago so assume tires were at proper pressure at that time. I will starting checking them weekly to get a better idea.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,472
    Remember that you have to add winter air. Tires "lose" pressure as the temperature decreases.
  • oxmeadoxmead Posts: 65
    I got the email and just got the follow up letter . Gonna call tomorrow. My letter does not have the word"recall" anywhere, Just "service program WQC-39" at the top.
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    So far they have been good. When they do get bad, DWS is next in line, but I'll take a look at the Michelins too. They've always had a good rep. :blush:
  • Looking good, Subaru!

The Impreza sedan scored even better, top of its class.

Forester did well, Outback did well.

Straight A report card, basically.
  • Yes, I noticed that. I'm trying to figure out why the Impeza sedan scored higher than the hatchback in reliability. What about the sedan is more reliable than the hatchback?

Ah, I just looked it up on the CR web site. Apparently the hatchback has more Squeaks & Rattles than the sedan. Interesting.
    Just a SWAG, but....

Smaller passenger compartment could mean less wind noise.

Sedans are more aerodynamic, also, for better fuel economy.

Trunks seal better than hatches.

Then I read your 2nd sentence and yeah, that's it.
    Has anyone installed the side cargo nets on a '12 Impreza hatchback? You have to drill a hole and the instructions suck. There's a small indention a little below the cargo cover. Is that it? Do you drill 2 holes in the same spot? First 1/4 then 1/2? I only have a 3/8 drill motor so I have to get a 1/2 drill bit with a 3/8 reduced shank or borrow a 1/2 drill motor.
  • Just installed it yesterday. There is a little dimple (hard to see) where you will need to drill. It's actually pretty simple. I started with 1/8 --> 1/4 --> 1/2. Just be careful since there isn't much space to the insulation, maybe a bit less than a centimeter.

After you get the 1/2 inch hole, just stick the black piece in, screw and it'll tighten itself.

gluck :)
    Thanks, I did get them in. I waited for a warm day because I didn't want to take a chance on cracking the panel in cold weather. Your right about the insulation, it could get wrapped around the drill bit .
  • Hello!

I've got a 2013 Impreza Sport with the 2.0 engine and CVT transmission. When the engine is first started it immediately revs to 1800 rpm and will stay there for about 2 minutes then gradually slow down to about 1500 rpm for a minute or so and then settle in at around 1000 rpm.

Two questions:

1.) does your vehicle behave this way?

If so, do you let it warm up before you put it into Drive or Reverse? I'm a bit reluctant to drop it into gear at those engine speeds.

2.) have you discussed this with your dealer...is this "normal"?

Thanks!
  • It's normal, and I wouldn't worry about it. You get your best MPGs when the engine is warm, and it warms faster when you're actually driving the car. When temps are over 20 degrees F, I pretty much start the engine, let it idle while I buckle my seat belt and select my radio station, and then I drive. If temps are below 20, I might give the engine an extra 30 sec to warm up, just to make sure the oil is flowing well, although the thin 0W20 oil in these engines probably makes this unnecessary.
  • flopkaflopka Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    Hi, 2012 Impreza Premium here. Yes, the rev appears to be normal. It seems to be a characteristic more of new cars, as the rev becomes less dramatic over time. I was disturbed by it but didn't talk to my dealer as it was fairly predictable.

There's no need to allow the RPM to "normalize" before switching into gear. As soon as you go into gear, the engine drops to its normal idling RPM or slightly above. Don't speed off on a stone cold engine, but that's just common sense.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,578
    Many (perhaps all) newer cars rev the engine more to get to operating temp faster (reduces emissions), along with other tweaks in air/fuel ratio. In colder regions, normal engine idle speed might be 1000-1500 RPM rather than the more typical 600, simply because ambient air temperatures are cold enough to require the engine to operate at that speed in order to maintain temperature.

My Fiesta generally runs at about 1300 RPM on days like today (-20F) even after 15-20 minutes of use, but I'm okay with that because I can sit in a warm (room temp) interior rather than one that is closer to 30F like my old car. Selfish, I know, but it still nets me over 30 mpg. :D
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Engine rpm is determined by coolant temperature, not air temperature.
    True, but when you start it up those are about the same, no? If the car's been sitting outside, certainly.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,578
    Not sure what you mean there. I never said otherwise, did I?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • Hi my girlfriend's impreza has been doing the same exact thing on numerous occasions. She also had issues with the air bag weight sensor. She actually has the dealer looking into it this week, but they looked at her as if she had two heads when she was explaining it.
  • You and your girlfriend should read this:

NASIOC airbag sensor thread
  • Hi, can you tell me anything about your experience with them installing cruise control? Have they done it yet? Was it an oem cruise control or after market?
    Thanks
  • The last time I had non OEM cruise installed in a car I regretted it. Buy the car with it in there.