Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    edited April 2012
    Subaru Web site - XV Blog
    Then click the specs link inthe upper right.

XV Crosstrek MPG
    25-33 for the CVT
    23-30 for the manual
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    So it loses a couple, bummer. Pretty much offsets the increase in fuel capacity.

Of course it will probably be equipped nicely, even base models.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    I haven't seen the XV in person, so that's just my initial impression. In the end, styling isn't what sells me or turns me away, but it can sway me if other things don't stand above the competition.

Sounds like our needs/priorities align pretty well, though. There's no way I would buy an otherwise-perfect car if I don't enjoy the drive. That's why I really need to take the time to drive the Impreza! The trick is thinking about it at the same time the local dealership has a manual on the lot. I don't mind test-driving the CVT, but I hate to bias my initial opinion of the car that way. :D

To be fair, though, Subaru's CVT is a very good automatic transmission. I drove a Legacy Limited 2.5i last summer just to try it out at a friend's suggestion, and it left me with a much better impression than I expected.
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
    where did you buy it from? hard copy? electronic? happy with it? (i see the there is someone on the web selling an electonic copy of it for $15 (i think that was it))

thanks for sharing any experiences...
  • I ordered a sport limited with moon roof and navi on Feb 9th, I finally received my VIN and a delivery date of May 11th today. If it comes by then it will be just over 13 weeks.
    I am in the same boat as you where my truck has been limping along, I had to replace the fuel pump this week, I do sort of regret ordering rather than getting a car on the lot but hopefully when my car comes I will be happy with the decision to get what I wanted.
    Good Luck!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Demand is strong, I bet you would have had to compromise on color or options, maybe even both.

We custom-ordered a Forester and have no regrets. It's *exactly* the car we wanted.

Have no regrets - in the long-term you'll be much happier. Small price to pay, really.
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    Anybody know if adding an aftermarket kit will void any warranty on this car? Will a 2011 WRX version fit? Looking for ways to make it even funner to drive, and adding this kit is the way to go per many subie owners from other forums. :shades:
  • jth97381jth97381 Posts: 9
    I just heard from two different dealers that Subaru will stop accepting orders for 2012 Imprezas Saturday. Not sure if that is this saturday or next. But I would encurage anyone seriously thinking of ordering one to do so soon. I just happend to order mine last week. I got a 2012 Subaru Impreza Limited sedan CVT PZEV with sunroof and splash gaurds, maybe a few other little things, but not much. Paid $21,575. I guess it was $750 under invoice.
  • wimchattawimchatta Posts: 28
    Why would Subaru want to stop selling the 2012?
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,409
    edited April 2012
    because they have to start selling 2013 at some point... apparently, that point is soon.

Outback orders for 2012s stopped a few weeks ago. '13 Outbacks are rumored to be available in June.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,554
    G'day

Without wishing to impune the integrity of car salesmen' it sounds like a fabulous line to force a sale before month end, when many salesmen's bonuses are calculated. For real impact, try looking interested a day or two before month end and watch the slavering drool as they envisage an even bigger bonus!

Cheers

Graham
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    Direct from the Subaru info bible (cars101.com) ...

2012 Impreza, WRX and STI sold order cut-off date is Monday April 23. So get your order in quickly.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    a short shift kit will not void a warranty...nothing "voids" a warranty, but a dealer may not honor the warranty if modifications to the vehicle resulted in damage to it or were the cause of the failure. That must be proved in order not to honor a warranty.......

many of added the short shifter without problems.....if all else fails...ask your dealership that you would get warranty service from....
  • subunutsubunut Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I've had my impreza for two weeks and put less than 150 miles on it, just driving it back and forth to the dealer to get some minor things repaired, like the pin stripe which I noted is peeling off on many of the other cars in the lot. Good thing its easy to fix. But, my problem as a completely new car buyer, is that I bought the wrong Impreza. While it's a lower priced car with what-you-pay-for suspension, getting the manual has made it a very uncomfortable ride. I figured I would be saving money in transmission repair costs later, and it was the last car available on the lot, and we needed a car. But it adds jerking on top of the bouncy ride. My carpool ride is a 2010 ford focus and it's much smoother, at least I don't get uncomfortable. So, i'd like to know as a newbie, any good news and bad news if anyone can help. I talked to the dealer/dealership owner about exchanging it for the CVT and it's going to cost me 4K since my two week old car is now a used car. I knew it was going to cost, i didn't know it was going to cost that much. I'm angry that they had me come into the dealership to give me that news by saying "well, come in this the afternoon, we'll try to take care of you, we want you happy." Who would take that kind of hit on a 19K car+tax!?!?! Just tell me over the phone!!! Weird. I'm calling Subaru of America on monday to see if they can help at all, I doubt it. I guess the worst bite is making a mistake, but on such a large purchase, and there being no way out. I didn't expect such poor quality though, and now i'll have to drive this car for years, we waited 13 years to buy our first new car, tried hard to not make a mistake by reading reviews, but I think we made a big one by not test driving it longer, and buying in desperation.
  • subunutsubunut Posts: 2
    Hi. So, I bought the costco price 2012 impreza basic model, manual, five door, for the same price in washington state with 10% tax. Is this what the costco auto program rep meant when they said that the costco cost break happens really on more expensive cars? Crap....
  • fredjohnsonfredjohnson Posts: 48
    edited April 2012
    Did a trip last week for work. About 200 miles from Minneapolis to a small town where my customer's office is located. Majority of the trip at about 55-65 mph. I averaged 38 mpg. I swear the gasoline must be reformulated to summer now because I couldn't get any higher than 33 mpg in the winter on a nearly identical trip. Sunny day, no wind, temp of about 50 degrees
  • My complaints on the 2012 Sport Prem CVT: NOISY engine/drive train through 5th gear and especially noisy when air temp and engine are cold(winter). Poor/slow acceleration up to 40 mph. Brakes seem a bit mushy(compared to my Honda's brakes), radio is tinny, actually embarrassingly so(but may have improved a bit due to speaker break in). Metal/doors are very thin. I have several door dings after just 2 months of ownership---and I park as far out in the lot as I can--I think the car is a door ding magnet. Car gets blown around a bit in crosswinds.

I like: high mpg for an AWD. I've gotten 38 mpg on high end and no worse than 30 mpg in winter city driving. Very good suspension over bumps--actually an impressive suspension. Low center of gravity/quick handling. Inexpensive purchase price. Nice interior for the price. Love the heated seats. So far, a reliable car. Decent looking car. Went thru 12 inches of new heavy snow without a problem. A great value for an AWD.

The noise issue however really bothers me at times. I'm not sure I would buy this car again because of that issue. Seems like Subaru cheaped out in the insulation area which is surprising since the rest of the car is top notch.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    First, sorry you're having buyer's remorse.

Second, have you checked the tire pressure? The cars are shipped with the tires over inflated and dealers often "forget" to adjust to the correct pressure. As far as the ride, there has been mostly praise with respect to the ride on the 2012 Impreza. I personally test drove a Base 5-dr w/ CVT and I had no complaints with the ride (rode better than my 2002 Outback).

Third, have you driven a manual transmission recently? Even if you have, Subaru MTs are not the smoothest and do take some time to get used to, but once you "master" it, all should be OK.

Fourth, unfortunately since your car was titled/registered, the dealer would have to sell it as a used car. It sucks, but the fact remains that it's a used car. But I agree, $4K difference does seem out of line.

Good Luck!
  • ammo_umbammo_umb Posts: 4
    I ordered a 5 door Limited on Jan 15th and still don't have a VIN. The worse part about this order is that SOA keeps changing estimated delivery dates to make customers happy which only serves to tick the customers off more after the dates pass.

It appears the delays have something to do with Nav but Subaru won't tell dealers what the problem is or when the get well date is. Because the dealers don't really know the answers and are the only direct contact people have with their orders people tend to lash out at them. Unfortunately late deliveries are Subarus fault but since they're harder to contact they get off scott free.

Sorry for my rant but after 99 days I'm very close to cancelling my order. The only reason I haven't cancelled yet is because I don't want my dealer to look bad because of it. Blaim needs to go to Subaru and Subaru needs to start answering fo their delays!
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
    Just another suggestion to checkthe tire pressure. I can't imagine the ride would be TNT different between the CVT and 5spd. Of course, it may take time to refine your shifting skills.

Don't rush on the trade in. Try to explore the tires, you shifting and make sure this isn't something else causing your displeasure.