Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• oxmeadoxmead Posts: 65
    I got the email and just got the follow up letter . Gonna call tomorrow. My letter does not have the word"recall" anywhere, Just "service program WQC-39" at the top.
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    So far they have been good. When they do get bad, DWS is next in line, but I'll take a look at the Michelins too. They've always had a good rep. :blush:
  • Looking good, Subaru!

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Impreza sedan scored even better, top of its class.

Forester did well, Outback did well.

Straight A report card, basically.
  • Yes, I noticed that. I'm trying to figure out why the Impeza sedan scored higher than the hatchback in reliability. What about the sedan is more reliable than the hatchback?

Ah, I just looked it up on the CR web site. Apparently the hatchback has more Squeaks & Rattles than the sedan. Interesting.
    Just a SWAG, but....

Smaller passenger compartment could mean less wind noise.

Sedans are more aerodynamic, also, for better fuel economy.

Trunks seal better than hatches.

Then I read your 2nd sentence and yeah, that's it.
    Has anyone installed the side cargo nets on a '12 Impreza hatchback? You have to drill a hole and the instructions suck. There's a small indention a little below the cargo cover. Is that it? Do you drill 2 holes in the same spot? First 1/4 then 1/2? I only have a 3/8 drill motor so I have to get a 1/2 drill bit with a 3/8 reduced shank or borrow a 1/2 drill motor.
  • Just installed it yesterday. There is a little dimple (hard to see) where you will need to drill. It's actually pretty simple. I started with 1/8 --> 1/4 --> 1/2. Just be careful since there isn't much space to the insulation, maybe a bit less than a centimeter.

After you get the 1/2 inch hole, just stick the black piece in, screw and it'll tighten itself.

gluck :)
    Thanks, I did get them in. I waited for a warm day because I didn't want to take a chance on cracking the panel in cold weather. Your right about the insulation, it could get wrapped around the drill bit .
  • Hello!

I've got a 2013 Impreza Sport with the 2.0 engine and CVT transmission. When the engine is first started it immediately revs to 1800 rpm and will stay there for about 2 minutes then gradually slow down to about 1500 rpm for a minute or so and then settle in at around 1000 rpm.

Two questions:

1.) does your vehicle behave this way?

If so, do you let it warm up before you put it into Drive or Reverse? I'm a bit reluctant to drop it into gear at those engine speeds.

2.) have you discussed this with your dealer...is this "normal"?

Thanks!
  • It's normal, and I wouldn't worry about it. You get your best MPGs when the engine is warm, and it warms faster when you're actually driving the car. When temps are over 20 degrees F, I pretty much start the engine, let it idle while I buckle my seat belt and select my radio station, and then I drive. If temps are below 20, I might give the engine an extra 30 sec to warm up, just to make sure the oil is flowing well, although the thin 0W20 oil in these engines probably makes this unnecessary.
  • flopkaflopka Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    Hi, 2012 Impreza Premium here. Yes, the rev appears to be normal. It seems to be a characteristic more of new cars, as the rev becomes less dramatic over time. I was disturbed by it but didn't talk to my dealer as it was fairly predictable.

There's no need to allow the RPM to "normalize" before switching into gear. As soon as you go into gear, the engine drops to its normal idling RPM or slightly above. Don't speed off on a stone cold engine, but that's just common sense.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    Many (perhaps all) newer cars rev the engine more to get to operating temp faster (reduces emissions), along with other tweaks in air/fuel ratio. In colder regions, normal engine idle speed might be 1000-1500 RPM rather than the more typical 600, simply because ambient air temperatures are cold enough to require the engine to operate at that speed in order to maintain temperature.

My Fiesta generally runs at about 1300 RPM on days like today (-20F) even after 15-20 minutes of use, but I'm okay with that because I can sit in a warm (room temp) interior rather than one that is closer to 30F like my old car. Selfish, I know, but it still nets me over 30 mpg. :D
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Engine rpm is determined by coolant temperature, not air temperature.
    True, but when you start it up those are about the same, no? If the car's been sitting outside, certainly.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    Not sure what you mean there. I never said otherwise, did I?
  • Hi my girlfriend's impreza has been doing the same exact thing on numerous occasions. She also had issues with the air bag weight sensor. She actually has the dealer looking into it this week, but they looked at her as if she had two heads when she was explaining it.
  • You and your girlfriend should read this:

NASIOC airbag sensor thread
  • Hi, can you tell me anything about your experience with them installing cruise control? Have they done it yet? Was it an oem cruise control or after market?
    Thanks
  • The last time I had non OEM cruise installed in a car I regretted it. Buy the car with it in there.