Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• nbonbo Posts: 11
    That's my off the lot price. I don't have any option added on the sports premium cvt.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    then that was a slick deal indeed!...glad to have an insider to work with...even trucar for the MD area Im in is showing 21,773 as the best available price and that before the TTL....so great deal!
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    thanks pao... I'll have to look around to see if there is an aftermarket available. Kinda odd there is a cut-out for one, but not available from manufacturer.

Odie
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,662
    edited December 2011
    Just drove one at Russell Subaru in Catonsville, MD.

• Clutch is unbelievably light. Very Honda-like, and MUCH! lighter than the clutch on my '09 WRX.

• Much quieter and more refined than my WRX.

• Outside temp, clock, etc. very large and very legible; much more so than on my car.

• No gear indicator, like that found on the Legacy GT. Bummer. :(

• Cruise control indicator lights hard to see and read. My WRX is better in this respect.

• Definitely have to row the gearbox on windy and/or hilly roads.

• Instrument needles light up during the day. Couldn't tell if the gauges light up, however?

• Drove very well and handles very well. Comfortable ride too.

• I think the engine will really be taxed with a full load onboard. With 1 or 2 people the power is reasonable; with 4 or 5, I doubt it.

• Excellent car for the non-gearhead.

Bob
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Then again, I bet I could get something like this also...

Here's a link to the site itself.... SylvanSport Go Trailer

Odie
  • Does anyone know the maximum load capacity in lbs? The owner's manual that I found on-line indicates that the maximum weight is noted on the inside of the door, thus the manual does not say. Pao, since you seem to be one of the few current owners, maybe you can answer this?
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    edited December 2011
    Sounds nice.

BTW, do you recall the rpm at freeway speed? Is it quiet?

>> No gear indicator, like that found on the Legacy GT.

That's a feature that hadn't even occurred to me.

I guess on a 6sp it makes some sort of sense, but with a Five?

Once could touch the lever and know... I think this is the sort of problem only apparent to those who drive lots of different cars.

Auto journalists are always complaining about "weird locations" of window switches and such in some euro cars... if you drive it every day, it's not an issue.

Cheers -Mathias
  • I'm in Canada, i'm on my local (100 miles away mind you) Subaru dealers website, and near the end of the financing calculator, there is a line that says Charge for Credit after APR and period of loan. Does anyone know what this means?

here is an example:

MSRP $26,095.00
    PDI & Freight $1,595.00
    Air Tax $100.00
    Accessories $1,926.60
    Purchase Price $29,716.60
    PST $1,485.83
    GST/FST Taxes $1,485.83
    Total $32,688.26
    Down payment- $10,000.00
    Balance to Finance $22,688.26

Period of Loan 60 months
    Charge for Credit $3,566.15
    Total Payable $26,254.41

Monthly Cost $437.57
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,457
    Looks like the finance charge (interest paid) to me. It's what it costs to borrow the money and pay the balance over the specified time period.
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    About 2800 rpm cruising at around 65-70 mph. I have a 5 speed so no complaints. Still fun to drive even though it's not a racer speed wise, but handling is fun. Oh, has anyone have an opinion on the new tires? Yoko avid s34d. Tire rack has a bunch of poor reviews, but they are all from Mazda 3 owners.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,432
    Agreed..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nbonbo Posts: 11
    So far after I Order the impreza from the dealer. I only got a order number but no vin number and no eta. Is there a more efficient way to track ur factory order car?
    WOW that seems high for the RPM ....my auto CVT cruises at 75 MPH at about 2300 RPM......at 70, its approx 2100 RPM........5DR limited here
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    It's comletely normal for a manual transmission equipped model to run a few hundred RPMs higher on the highway than an otherwise identical car equipped with an automatic transmission.
    edited December 2011
    A gear indicator readout is a useful reminder as to what gear you're in. With the rather close gear ratios and the engine noise being so subdued these days, I sometimes find myself driving in 4th (thinking I'm in 5th) for miles in my WRX. Yes, in a 6-speed, it's an even bigger problem—especially in a powerful car, in which you could "cruise" in any number of gears.

Now with this new Impreza which has far less power than my WRX, you will be rowing the gearbox far more often, so it may not be a problem as your right hand will be on the gearshift lever much of the time.

Bob
    GVWR listed on my 5Dr limited was 4299
    A gear indicator readout is a useful reminder as to what gear you're in. With the rather close gear ratios and the engine noise being so subdued these days, I sometimes find myself driving in 4th (thinking I'm in 5th) for miles in my WRX.

I have an in-dash gear indicator on my '02 OBW A/T, but I still end up driving on the highway in 3rd*. :sick:

* previously downshifted for long hill
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    That's good to know. Can anyone confirm if the 5 speed manual is quicker from 0-60 than the CVT. I could have sworn in one of the video reviews that that the 0-60 time on a manual was a second + faster than the CVT, like 8.9 seconds.
    edited December 2011
    I have an in-dash gear indicator on my '02 OBW A/T

Yeah, this a common feature in automatics with manual-shift capabilities. I'd just like to see it offered more in manual transmissions as well. It's found on the Legacy GT (not sure about other Legacy/Outback manuals?), Nissan 370Z and a number of high-end sports cars.

I'd also like to see the "rev-match" feature, that found on the Nissan 370Z manuals, offered. What that does is blip the throttle on downshifts, so there's no need to heel-and-toe the car.

The upcoming Subaru BRZ has this feature on the automatic (when in manual mode), but haven't heard as to whether the manual has it.

Bob
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    Unless the stick and auto are evenly matched, e.g. both have 5 speeds or 6 speeds. A 5MT is NOT an even match for a CVT. I noticed for example that the RPMs on the 6MT Mazda3 Skyactiv are quite low, around 2000 @ 65 mph. I didn't drive the 6AT but I would expect similar RPMs on that based on what I've seen from other 6ATs on ~2 L engines.

Shows why 6MTs are increasingly popular, for lower revs and higher highway FE. Maybe someday Subaru will put one into the Impreza.
    Shows why 6MTs are increasingly popular, for lower revs and higher highway FE. Maybe someday Subaru will put one into the Impreza.

It's already in the 2012 Impreza. You just have to move to Europe, Australia, New Zealand or just about any place outside of North America. :)

Bob
  • Well, the total vehicle weight (according to the specs) is 3,086 lbs so that would indicate it can carry a total load of about 1,200 lbs., including passengers. Not bad! Thank you for providing that data.
    edited December 2011
    It's best to refer to the sticker on the driver's door jam, as it's specific to the car in question. Remember, options and content will also affect payload. My recollection is that the payload is closer to 900 pounds.

Bob
    1200 lbs? In some states, that's four average people ;->
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,432
    Michigan? ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    In Texas, maybe fewer than 4. ;)
  • bg18947bg18947 Posts: 183
    edited December 2011
    I originally thought that it was a cut-out for a hitch too, but I was told by the dealer the rectangle in the middle of the lower part of the rear bumper is for the European fog light. That's what the punch-out is for. It's to meet the ECE Regulation 48 in European countries that adopt it.
    edited December 2011
    I was told the same thing.
  • milokmilok Posts: 1
    Funny! I was told 3 different things from the same dealership about the little square on the back of the impreza. First salesman told me that you could not put a hitch on the impreza and maintain the warranty. The 2nd salesman told me he didn't know. The third salesman told me of course you could put on a hitch and they would do it . All at the same dealer. I feel like I know more about the car than they do. I think I should get a job there after all the research I've done. The salesmen certainly didn't get a very thorough inservice on the car!
    Most car salespeople don't know from cars.
    That's not their job.
    They know from selling.