Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

1747576777880»

Comments

• dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,457
    edited March 2013
    I bought several of the PN...160 oil filters listed here, and they do not seem to be a check valve type oil filter. I've changed the oil 3 times, and the last 2 times I've noticed no oil come out of the filter upon removal.

A properly working check valve will prevent oil from draining out.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Wouldn't the lack of oil draining imply that is DOES have a check valve?

In other words, it isn't draining when you remove it because the oil is being retained within the filter. The other option is that the oil has fully drained back down into the pan.

I certainly hope the second option isn't the case! :P
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    The big hole in the center is empty, and there is mesh and filter all around. Any oil on the outside would simply move back through the filter and drain out the center hole.

What I'm saying is, I don't believe there is a check valve on this filter. It looks to be a standard filter. And given it's location, that's the wrong type of filter.

John
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Second option. :sick:
  • The same rattle has been annoying me intermittently and I too am satisfied that the issue remains with the A-Pillar trim...Initial thought was also with the speaker covers...
    It seems something that could be fixed with the addition of an appropriate clip during the manufacture process and am interested how it will be addressed when I return for my 1st service...

Just out of interest though...My dash was partly dismantled for the fitment of a factory alarm at the dealership before I took possession of the vehicle and could not be certain the issue was caused then???
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
    i solved it by stuffing material (one side, a felt disk, the other side, a folded up piece of cardboard). was a little ugly (but only noticeable if you looked carefully), but worked.

when i went into service, i pointed it out to the tech who ended up sticking tons of foam tape inside A-pillar (at least that was he told me) to keep it from moving. i'm not exactly sure how that was done, but it did work and of course, it was prettier than what i had done.