Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• Just priced a Sport Premium with CVT for $20,973. Cheapest I could find in my State. Will probably buy it. Anyone think this is a bad price?
  • I'm getting the same price here in new jersey. But you can get a forester for 23000.00 with a sunroof ect. So I dont know which way to go.
  • So, has anyone given the cargo space a good test? Of the four cars I've been comparing, this has the most cargo space with seats down (52 c.f.) Does it seem as roomy as that number indicates? Most of the other compact hatch vehicles have about 42 c.f. with seats flat. I'm dropping down in size from a Honda Element so cargo capacity is important to me.
    Also, is the cubbie underneath the floor a useable feature? I haven't seen the car yet. I went to a car show in November but they only had the Sedan on display.
  • I test drove the 5 door and also coming from a 2010 honda crv and when i put all the baby gear in the impreza is was very close to the crv. The only thing is the height was missing. I'm trading in the honda for the impreza or the forester. When driving the cvt it was very loud and the engine was screaming a bit. Going to wait till a sport with leather comes in to see how it fells.
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    Hey all, after picking up my 2012 impreza, I got a call from the dealer to bring the car in ASAP due to the master cylinder/brake. The dealer said the car shouldn't have been driven off the lot yet. Anyways, brought the car back and a 2012 legacy was given to me as a rental until its fixed. Cars fixed now, but the legacy is a pretty nice ride. Quiet and comfortable, stable, and I would look forward to upgrading someday. :)
  • Let me know what you think of the Sport Ltd. That is what I am considering as well. Not considering the Forester because I want the better gas mileage. I have had sucky gas mileage for long enough now. :-(
  • Just priced a sports premium auto $23000 OTD. He went down $250 under invoice,but I think this was also included destination charge. I live in NOVA, is there anyone out there got better pricing?
  • nbonbo Posts: 11
    I lived in NOVA also. My OTD price for a sport premium cvt was 21400. However, friend of mine kinda know the owner of the dealership. I think they kinda hook me up. Still waiting for the car to arrived. So far, we only have the factory order number and no vin yet. Happy New year and good luck on car hunting.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    milok... I would have laughed right at the sales person if he threw the "It will void the warranty" line at me.

Odie
  • Same here 19 city.in my crv and 22 for short highway runs. I have put alot down on my crv so i,m going to trade in and pay off the rest sick of a car payment. Had one since 98. Just hope this cvt holds up for 10 years plus. Are u worried about the cvt at all?
  • I get about that same mileage in my Element. I have probably averaged about 21 mpg over the life of the vehicle (5+ years). It has been very reliable and I struggle to give it up, but I'm looking for something with a little nicer ride, nicer interior, better MPG, and "decent" cargo space. Plus this will be a lot sportier than my Element. As far as the CVT transmission, from what I am reading/hearing, Subaru has been making some form of CVT for many years so hopefully this new one is just a tweak of existing technology. I know even Saturn was making them years ago when I bought a RAV 4, so they are not knew. I am debating on the NAV/XM upgrade for the radio. I currently have XM and can't imagine being without it, but I don't know if I like the touch screen display. Plus, when using the map, it would override any radio information display. Plus, it is a $1000 add-on. Decisions, decisions ...
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,414
    There are plenty of cars that are not rated to tow anything. Towing with them can certainly void the warranty, esp. for related items like the transmission.

Just installing a hitch by itself will not void the warranty, of course, but if some hack shorts the wrong cables while installing the trailer wiring and something in the electrical system gets fried, you think any manufacturer will cover it?

FWIW, the Outback has a trailer hitch as a dealer-installed accessory; the Impreza does not. Sounds like they don't want you to tow with their light-weight CVT. Their call.

Cheers -Mathias
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    of course it doesnt void the warranty, but if any failure can be traced to towing, then a dealer can certainly deny warranty coverage on that particular item......havent been able to find a ready made hitch to fit the Impreza but searching online...even U-Haul doesnt show a hitch...which they usually do for an application...they indicate it takes a custom installation......
    if you do go with the Nav/XM option...also spend the extra $$ and get the upgraded speakers and tweeter.....both Kicker products......last I looked it was about $300 plus for the upgrade and the tweeters.
    I have the Nav/XM in my limited......you can split the screen and show the map and at least the channel you are on on XM with the map up...it doesnt show the artist and song info on the split screen......
  • Yeah I have the nav/xm in my crv. I'm just tring to save some money for a house. Do u have any kids? I have a 5 year and a 2 year old. They fit pretty good the specs are almost the same as my crv the impreza has a bit more front leg room, The one thing I will miss if i do go the the impreza is the flat rear floor. I love it in my crv. My moms 2002 civic has it. Not sure why subaru cant get it into there cars.
  • Thanks for the recommendation on the speakers. I will look into that.
  • No kids, but I do have two 45 lb dogs that sometimes go on vacation with us, so they need to fit along with our luggage. My one dog actually prefers to sit on the floor in the back seat while the other lays on the back seat, so we could potentially have one side of the back seat folded down to utilize more space for cargo when they ride with us.
  • Pao, you seem to be our resident current owner ... any issues with quality control as of yet?
  • Pao What MPG are you hitting.
    nothing on the QC as of yet...just rolled over 1000 miles in it on Sat....as for mileage...my low as been 27 MPG and my high 29.9.....the sweet spot is 65 at 200 RPM....most of my HWY miles are 70-75 MPH so Im sure that puts a dent in the mileage......

I got the 5DR limited in Deep Cherry Pearl with Ivory interior..added POP PKG #1 and Nav/Moonroof....got it for $200 under invoice.....
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Posts: 67
    I test drove today. My impression is positive. (I'm no car guru). This is definitely at the top of my to buy list come May/June:
    * Maneuverability and responsiveness are good. Felt tight to the ground when turning without braking.
    * Interior (front/back) felt comfortable. Not cramped. Easy to get out with wide door openings.
    * Visibility is excellent. One of the few cars with the driver side A pillar that doesn't seem to block view to the left.
    * Good range of seat positioning. Like being able to raise up the seat.
    * Center console and controls did not look cheap. Nice temp, clock, avg mpg display in the center. There's a nice flat surface to put my GPS (not planning on getting the built-in Nav).
    * Did not feel lack of power when merging and going uphill.
    * Decent size Spare Tire (not a small donut hole).
    * Like being able to get heated seats without being forced to buy the highest end model and leather seats.

** Just wish the sun-visor is longer in size and not cheap vinyl (others said this already before).
    ** The center storage (under the armrest) could be bigger.
    ** One question: The doors felt light rather than sturdy. Isn't as dingy as say a civic or corolla but is this because of stronger lightweight material or is it cheap?
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Posts: 67
    BTW, the power steering is electronic vs. hydraulic. Is electronic better? I assume it's a better technology since power steering fluid is not needed, thus eliminating a potential leak down the road. But don't know if one is more heavy duty than the other.
    its also a power saver, which is a factor in increased MPG.....not sure about it being more heavy duty than another.....had power assisted in my 04 Chevy which caused me no problems for 195K before I handed it down.....
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,699
    edited January 2012
    You are seeing more and more carmakers going to electric power steering, as it saves gas. That's the reason for the switch, pure and simple.

There has been some concern about electric power steering lacking in "feel" on some cars, but I think that's improving with each new model introduction. Haven't heard that criticism about the new Impreza's steering.

Bob
    I found this one for the 2012 Impreza. Now I would not do any towing with it. It would be mainly used for a bike rack.

2012 Impreza Hitch Receiver

Odie
  • Thank you for posting that find! That is exactly what I would be using it for. I already have the bike carrier that attaches to a hitch so would want to stick with that if possible.
    I'm also wondering if I personally purchase it (or an Impreza Owner) and take it to the Dealership where you would have your service done. I wonder if they would install it and just charge you the labor? This way, the people who normally work on the cars would be the ones to install it.

Next time I'm near the service center, I'll pop in and ask the service manager. I'll post if I get a reply. I have 2 dealerships within 20 mins of me, so thats not a problem.

Odie
  • malachai1, Impreza and Forester are in different classes, so not the best comparison. I've owned 3 Honda CRV AWD EX's. Great, reliable suv's. Forester is its competitor. Better mpg with the Impreza, lower price, a little less interior room. I'm getting the Impreza because of the 36 mpg, lower purchase price and its something different than I already have. I won't knock the CRV or Forester. But the newly redone CRV EX costs $26k. No one is discounting it much. The Impreza Sport Premium is $21k.
  • fredjohnsonfredjohnson Posts: 48
    edited January 2012
    kanjii, CVT 0-60 in 9.4 secs. 5 speed 0-60 in 8.0 secs. Info from Motor Trend Magazine. However, 6% less mpg for the 5 speed. And for me its waaaay to much shifting in city traffic so I'm going with the CVT. I believe that using the paddle shifters on the CVT will cut that 0-60 time down a bit, but don't know.
  • kanjiikanjii Posts: 99
    fredjohnson, I hear you on the city driving and manual tranny, fortunately I also have an automatic. San Fran driving is a killer, I'd only go there with an auto only ;)