Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• I read the 2011 Elantra did not have a spare tire. I can't find anything on line if the 2012 has one or if its an option. Does anyone know?
  • svensmorsvensmor Posts: 7
    edited August 2011
    the 2012 does not have a apare tire it has a place for one but instead of a tire there is an air compressor that hooks int the cigarette styl power outlet and a can of fix a flat.there is no option for a tire from hyundai you would have to purchase one from a third party
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,217
    Other cars are adopting the practice. The Chevy Cruze, for instance, also doesn't include a spare though Chevy will sell you one for $100.

I understand the desire to shave cost & weight but IMO this is a bad move for customers. Not all flats can be temporarily patched via fix-a-flat; motorists will wind up stranded.
  • I totally agree I would rather have the tire with me than get one more mile per gallon. Does the Elantra come with a jack? I currently have a Honda civic, would you know if I kept the tire and jack would it be universal on the Elantra?
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,217
    Sorry, I wouldn't know. But if the tires are the same size (diameter; width shouldn't matter) and have the same # of lug nuts then it'd probably work. Heck, donut tires often have a slightly smaller diameter than the regular tires so many even that doesn't matter.

Chevy is reporting that ditching the spare in the Cruze saves 26 pounds ( http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/20/business/la-fi-autos-spare-tires-2011062- 0 ) and the same article says Hyundai is saving $22/vehicle (which is interesting since the spare on the Cruze is a $100 accessory .. profit margin much there, Chevy?)

So 26 pounds on a 3000-ish pound car is under 1%. So ditching the spare probably nets no more than 0.2-0.3MPG. Not bad but not significant & other things like driving style will have far greater impact. And the weight savings will impact city MPG more than highway since weight is more of a factor in acceleration v. cruising (where aerodynamics matter more).

Here are 100 tips for better fuel economy: http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php
  • does not come with a jack dont let this deter you though my 2012 elantra 6 speed manual now has 1500 miles on it and i love it.it is a fantastic car and i am getting spectacular gas mileage.5 tanks of gas so far and my mpg average is 41 with less than 200 hwy miles
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    sarah: congrats on the smoking exit. best move you can make for your overall health! I agree that the new Elantra is worth the effort. My only quandry is the Elantra vs. the Sonata.
    Enjoy the new Elantra.
  • I just came from dealer, they had 2 elantras, both were sold before they come on lot !!
    Guess the dealer does not come down on price ??
    Is the US economy that good ??

Any feedback what can I expect to pay for 2012 Elantra Gls ??

i did not know that they do not give spare tire...we decided not to buy the 328 BMW because the car did not come with any spare.... i wud be very concerned when driving long distance .... Shame to save $25 they will someday put 1 life in danger...
  • sibersiber Posts: 1
    I sent out quote requests to 15 Hyundai dealers in the midwest. Every reply except for one was either that none were in stock or that the price was msrp. One reply asked me to come on down and said that I could have $200 off any Elantra on the lot. I checked their website inventory and they had 0 in stock.

I won't pay MSRP on principle even though I think it's a fair price for this car and I know that at this time none of these cars will go unsold.

I think the spare tire being gone is more about Hyundai pushing for the 40mpg hwy rating than it is the cost. I mean there is tons of value in this car and they could have cut costs in alot of areas if that was the goal. My intention, should I purchase an Elantra, is to buy 4 snow tires and toss them on some steel wheels. I'll toss one in the trunk to use as a spare. I'd be much more annoyed if they didn't leave a space to store a spare.
  • Hey, thank you very much! It's been a struggle but for the most part I've got it beat. Every time I start to have a craving I look outside at my beautiful red Elantra and say, "If you smoke you won't be able to afford that car." The craving then is immediately gone. LOL!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Same at the dealership where I work... MSRP, we don't discount them.

On the other hand, a GLS' MSRP is about $400 over invoice in our market.
  • I have talked to two fleet dealers and they are on the look out for the color and package I want. Neither will deal outside the MSRP. My brother in law wants me to wait because of the same principle don't pay MSRP he also mentioned don't be the first to buy off the line. Someone on this site said there is a place for a spare. Don't think I won't be looking when buy, with my Honda donut under my arm lol!
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Posts: 160
    A local dealer in Winter Park (Orlando suburb), Fl sells their Elantras for $250-300 off MSRP. Not much of a discount but it means there are dealers out there selling this popular model below MSRP.
  • Anyone interested in an Elantra in most markets need to resign themselves to the fact that discounts will be few and far between. I got $250 off my 2012 Limited....after helping a friend purchase an Accent two weeks earlier. The Elantras are sold almost as quickly as they arrive at the dealerships. Considering the bang for the buck, MSRP is not a bad deal. If you want to deal, look at a Mazda 3 that will be mildly redone for 2012.

As far as the spare tire is concerned my last two vehicles lacked one and it was no big deal. My 2010 Mini Cooper didn't have one nor did my 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid. Why do you think you get free roadside service from most manufacturers?
  • mcribmcrib Posts: 19
    I understand the market maybe hard for car buyers but I will not give up pursuit for a Elantra at near invoice or bellow pricing. MSRP yeah right! :P

So I live in South FL and best quote for me so far is:

2012 Elantra GLS Pckg 3 Saling Price$18,390 +6% tax,$275 transfer,and fees Out The Door $20,772

Vehicle Description:
    Added Features:
    *This vehicle is certified to all 50 states
    *Preferred Equipment Package: 16" Alloy Wheels Steering Wheel Audio Controls Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone S Cloth Insert Door Trim Sliding Center Armrest Illuminated Vanity Mirrors wi Illuminated Ignition Front Foglights
    *Carpeted Floor Mats
    *Cargo Tray

At Potankin Hyundai in Miami Lakes and I won't bite yet. ;)

I live in Broward where we have a lesser tax rate 6% vs Miami's 7%
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Live right across from Coconut Creek Hyundai and their prices are a bit outrageous also. Since we now have plenty of time to wait, thinking a 2013 model will work for us. I still see that light brownish GLS model with the bolt on wheel covers still sitting in the back...guess most folks are wanting the alloy wheel package...it is a good value with the nice looking alloys! But we have time on our side, so can wait...with the refresh due on the 2014 model, might just be the ticket!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• duddud Posts: 91
    I commend you. Paying anything near MSRP for a hyundai is crazy.
  • Is there a difference in performance and mileage between the Elantra with the PZEV option and the non-PZEV model ? Should there be a price difference when shopping?

Thank you.
  • I have a one week old Elantra Limited.
    With the NAV package.... Great. Toys, with
    The phone and
    NAV pacakage...A much quietier ride
    Too!

It. Too has no spare tire, no more
    donut tire,,,it has a box to do
    A fix to a simple puncture. And a
    Box with goo pump to fix a simple flat.

Kit that pumps
    Goo in to in to the tire.
    I also have the option of calling a tow truck.Paid by them,

I was told I could optionally buy the donuts or real tire.

That all said, I am much more interested in following the group's experiences on getting the promised mileage!!!
    :confuse:

Is there a specific thread I should be reading??

Thanks..Paul
  • tacomaroxtacomarox Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Picked up a new Elantra Limited with Tech Package on Saturday - $22,560, from Robert Larson Hyundai in Tacoma, Washington. Sky Blue was not my first choice (really wanted Bronze), but settled for the blue. Plan on trading up to a Genesis in a couple of years.