Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Same at the dealership where I work... MSRP, we don't discount them.

On the other hand, a GLS' MSRP is about $400 over invoice in our market.
  • I have talked to two fleet dealers and they are on the look out for the color and package I want. Neither will deal outside the MSRP. My brother in law wants me to wait because of the same principle don't pay MSRP he also mentioned don't be the first to buy off the line. Someone on this site said there is a place for a spare. Don't think I won't be looking when buy, with my Honda donut under my arm lol!
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Posts: 160
    A local dealer in Winter Park (Orlando suburb), Fl sells their Elantras for $250-300 off MSRP. Not much of a discount but it means there are dealers out there selling this popular model below MSRP.
  • Anyone interested in an Elantra in most markets need to resign themselves to the fact that discounts will be few and far between. I got $250 off my 2012 Limited....after helping a friend purchase an Accent two weeks earlier. The Elantras are sold almost as quickly as they arrive at the dealerships. Considering the bang for the buck, MSRP is not a bad deal. If you want to deal, look at a Mazda 3 that will be mildly redone for 2012.

As far as the spare tire is concerned my last two vehicles lacked one and it was no big deal. My 2010 Mini Cooper didn't have one nor did my 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid. Why do you think you get free roadside service from most manufacturers?
  • mcribmcrib Posts: 19
    I understand the market maybe hard for car buyers but I will not give up pursuit for a Elantra at near invoice or bellow pricing. MSRP yeah right! :P

So I live in South FL and best quote for me so far is:

2012 Elantra GLS Pckg 3 Saling Price$18,390 +6% tax,$275 transfer,and fees Out The Door $20,772

Vehicle Description:
    Added Features:
    *This vehicle is certified to all 50 states
    *Preferred Equipment Package: 16" Alloy Wheels Steering Wheel Audio Controls Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone S Cloth Insert Door Trim Sliding Center Armrest Illuminated Vanity Mirrors wi Illuminated Ignition Front Foglights
    *Carpeted Floor Mats
    *Cargo Tray

At Potankin Hyundai in Miami Lakes and I won't bite yet. ;)

I live in Broward where we have a lesser tax rate 6% vs Miami's 7%
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,689
    Live right across from Coconut Creek Hyundai and their prices are a bit outrageous also. Since we now have plenty of time to wait, thinking a 2013 model will work for us. I still see that light brownish GLS model with the bolt on wheel covers still sitting in the back...guess most folks are wanting the alloy wheel package...it is a good value with the nice looking alloys! But we have time on our side, so can wait...with the refresh due on the 2014 model, might just be the ticket!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• duddud Posts: 91
    I commend you. Paying anything near MSRP for a hyundai is crazy.
  • Is there a difference in performance and mileage between the Elantra with the PZEV option and the non-PZEV model ? Should there be a price difference when shopping?

Thank you.
  • I have a one week old Elantra Limited.
    With the NAV package.... Great. Toys, with
    The phone and
    NAV pacakage...A much quietier ride
    Too!

It. Too has no spare tire, no more
    donut tire,,,it has a box to do
    A fix to a simple puncture. And a
    Box with goo pump to fix a simple flat.

Kit that pumps
    Goo in to in to the tire.
    I also have the option of calling a tow truck.Paid by them,

I was told I could optionally buy the donuts or real tire.

That all said, I am much more interested in following the group's experiences on getting the promised mileage!!!
    :confuse:

Is there a specific thread I should be reading??

Thanks..Paul
  • tacomaroxtacomarox Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Picked up a new Elantra Limited with Tech Package on Saturday - $22,560, from Robert Larson Hyundai in Tacoma, Washington. Sky Blue was not my first choice (really wanted Bronze), but settled for the blue. Plan on trading up to a Genesis in a couple of years.
  • I finally got my new Limited 2012 Elantra in September. I have not gotten anywhere near the 40 mpg. I keep it in Eco mode and intentionally do not floor it. I get 32 with normal highway/city driving. I have not taken it on a trip that I am on the highway for more than 30 minutes. I have read keep it on cruise everywhere even in the city. Living in one of the largest cities in South Florida, that is almost impossible. With that being said...I love it and can't wait to leave work everyday just to drive it!
  • g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    Here in midwest Hyundai dealers seem to have few '12 Elantras. Took me 3 months to work out a deal with my local dealer, who got the car I ended up with from another Hyundai dealer 150 miles away. Some weeks they had no Elantras. Most of the time each Elantra that arrived had been pre-sold. Had to give them $500 down just to reserve the one I ended up with and I didn't know exactly how it was equipped until I saw her on their lot. She has everything a GLS can have (Preferred Pkg, auto monochromatic mirror, mats, cargo net) except Nav system. They wouldn't budge from MSRP. And gave me NADA book on my trade. The Honda dealer across the street was discounting his Civics and offered nearly double in trade allowance but the car wasn't nearly as well equipped at the LX level and Hyunda's warranty with Roadside Assistance is so much better. You just get more car for less money. I'll be checking fuel economy but most miles will be city so I'm realistic. I'll be happy with high 20s around town due to stop lights, etc. I really love the 2-tone interior look with the beige seats and black floor. While the sky blue exterior isn't my favorite, beggars couldn't be choosy (esp. since I wouldn't go with black, white, red, or dark blue). Just 4 gripes: you can't get a power driver seat, you can't get heated seats in the GLS, they use the cheap intruding trunk hinges, and the key goes into the steering column instead of the dashboard. But she is roomy, comfortable, inexpensive, and very stylish.
    Forgot to mention that with '12 Elantras so hard to find around my area that the dealers don't mind engaging in raw profit markups. I specifically asked my dealership NOT to add any paint sealant, cloth protectant, mud flaps, pin strips, or anything else I'd seen on other cars on their lot. But when I get the car, the dealer charged me $385 for worthless paint sealant and $85 for cheesy mud flaps. When I brought up the issue, their view was: Take it or leave it, and if you don' t take it, we have a dozen people line up to buy it." The paint sealant really ticks me off because I can't get any info on exactly what it supposedly is or does. No paperwork. No guarantee of anything. No warranty protection. Just a cost. Would not surprise me at if all they did was spray the car with water or wave a magic wand over it, called it sealant, and charged me $385.
  • As far as I know, Nav is N/A on the 2012 GLS's. I hve a 2011 GLS with Nav., otherwise yours is identical to mine. I live in a rural area, had mine for 6 month's an get 34-35 combined. I don't get on the interstates that much.
  • mine is not with a factory nav, but I installed an after market nav system from here, http://www.cars-electronics.com/2012-hyundai-elantra-navigation-dvd-gps-nav-syst- em_p1464.html
    I went loaded GLS over Limited because I didn't need or want leather seats and sunroof. I much prefer cloth seats, which are more comfortable in both summer and winter. I didn't want or need Nav system, which is an option in GLS. Do wish I could've gotten heated front seats in GLS, but you can't, though having heated back seats in Limited seems unnecessary for most people. Is most odd that you can't even get a power seat in the Limited. Going GLS saved about $4,000 over the Limited and got me all I wanted that I could get and left off all the stuff I didn't want.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,261
    edited November 2011
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks!

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• i have a 2012 Elantra Limited. going over some bumps the rear end seems to drift out. Wondering if it has anything to do with 17" alloys or just a poor rear suspension? Anyone else having the sme experience?
    Questions about ride quality are so subjective. Combination of car's suspension and tires. You should read what reviewers have said about it. Per Automobile magazine, "The Elantra rides decently but the suspension is easily the least solid of these six cars over rough roads. It's clunky at lower speeds..." But as Car & Driver said, "It has a very smooth ride without being sloppily floppy in normal use. However, the Hyundai's softness become a problem in spirited driving, when the car exhibits a bit more flex and does a poorer job filtering out road imperfections than the rest of the [5-car] group." Or Consumer Reports: " The Elantra absorbs road bumps, with good isolation, except for the rare jiggle. The highway ride is steady."
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    I know C/D tested the Limited with the 17" wheels, but what did CR test?
  • Posting this message out of much and disappointment and frustration....

In July, I traded my 2009 Mitsbushi Eclipse for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The decision to trade-in my eclipse was for the soul fact that the car was not getting the ideal gas milage (~24 mpg out of EPA range of 20-28 mpg) for my long (all highway) commute to work and back. After much research, I decided to purchase the Elantra due to its (claimed) great gas milage, features, and price versus that of the competitors. BIG MISTAKE!

After owning the vehicle for a little over a month and putting 2000 miles on it, I notice the vehicle was averaging about 26 mpg on each tank. After contacting the dealership about my concerns, I was told to wait till my first oil change to reflect the change in gas milage. The first oil change came and I did notice an improvement in my gas milage between 2-3 miles, put definitely nothing in the CLAIMED 29-39 range. I decided to contact Hyundai about my concerns regarding in which I was told to wait till the car was broken in at about 5000-6000 miles.

After 6000 miles I was still averaging about 27 mpg. I, again, contacted Hyundai customer service about my concern. Their response was to do have a fuel MPG test and to have the vehicle inspected by a local dealership. The fuel MPG test, released by Hyundai, requires you to have record the miles traveled and amount of fuel used five times while going to the same gas station and using the same pump. Again, I was still consistently getting between 25-27 mpg. I had the dealership, also, inspect the vehicle for any issues and run a diagnostic test for any issues--- none were found. All this information was then faxed over to Hyundai customer service.

So... I just got off the phone with Hyundai customer serivce and they are saying that the car is in working order and there is nothing they can do to assist me.

So why am I getting such poor gas milage that isnt even in the working range of the EPA estimates? I have tried every recommended way to enhance mpg and nothing seems to improve it. I was getting decent gas milage (in the EPA range) for my Eclipse so I really dont think it is in my driving style.

I see that forum that others are having the same problem. I dont see how so many people are driving this vehicle 'wrong' .

I am so disappointed in my purchase and wish I would have gone with a competitor that lives up to its ratings. Hyundai is doing nothing but false advertising this vehicle. I hope to see a class action lawsuit in the future.

If you are thinking about buying a 2012 Elantra and want great gas milage... DONT!
  • Wow, talk about trying to get a point across, you whining an crying in 3 different forums. Besides only looking at the BIG 29 city / 40 hwy ( this is just a estimate, not written in stone), did you even bother reading the fine print under it. You also didn't state what kind of driving you do, like mostly city, stop an go, rush hour traffic, etc.,there are alot of things that affect mileage, plus if are you using winter gas, what i call watered down gas, Arco calls it airated, has little air molicules in it. lol. This can also lower mileage, but I know, you been driving for a very long time an you, don't do, jack rabbit starts, speed, or anything like that. I don't have a 2012, but I do have a 2011 Elantra, an it gets what it says it will.
  • Well said. I also have a 2011 Elantra, and I cannot for the life of me understand some of these people. Enough with the whining. As I said in another thread, if you hate the car that much, trade it in for something else.

I am also not buying the "I only get 22 MPG's (or whatever ridiculous number they come up with). That is simply not going to happen with the new Elantra's. It's NOT the car...it's the way the driver is DRIVING the car. Or, if the person is in traffic constantly (car idles all the time) or is in stop and go traffic. Obviously, you won't get the 29 city. It's common sense. I certainly don't get the 29/40 all the time but who cares? It still has fantastic gas mileage and it's an awesome car. I love it and I am thrilled with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to go with Hyundai again. Heck, I already did...my old 2010 Elantra's transmission failed on me after two months of purchase. After six months, I decided to upgrade to the 2011 and I am ecstatic about my decision.
    Both Automobile and Car & Driver tested Limiteds. Consumer Reports tested a GLS with Pref Equip Pkg. All three tested automatic transmission. (Forget which one Motor Trend tested.) The primary ride-related difference between GLS and Limited with AT would be the change in tire size, going from 16" to 17" and getting standard alloy wheels; however, I don't think there are any changes in the suspension set up between the two. The Limited tire/wheel combination likely a bit heavier in regard to unsprung suspension weight than the 16" steel (w/AT) or 16" alloy (w/AT and Pref Equip Pkg). I don't know if anyone has tested a base GLS with manual transmission that comes with 15" tires and steel wheels.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    edited November 2011
    I don't know if you can get a 6MT with 15" wheels anymore. I recently did a Build Your Own on hyundaiusa.com for the 6MT and it seems to come with a non-optional options package (at $0 listed cost) that includes AC, 16" wheels with covers, and a few other features. I think that is a smart by Hyundai... who in this day and age buys a car w/o AC? Even with that non-optional options package the MSRP including destination was $17,300, which I thought was pretty reasonable. It has all the key equipment I need. Doesn't have Bluetooth but I can live w/o that as I use a headset if I have to talk on the phone while I drive.

I also found one photo via google of the 6MT's shifter--looks nice and stubby. The Canadian shifter is even nicer though... has chrome accents.

Then I did a local search and found 2 cars within 50 miles with the 6MT--but one was EXACTLY the color I favor, Desert Bronze with beige interior. So I know it's possible to get the car with 6MT and even in a color I want. Good news for when I'm ready to buy...
  • Yes, I am trying to get my point across... it is a disappointing and frustrating situation or I wouldnt be posting about it.

When I was shopping for a vehicle I looked at all options. I did look at the fine print below the 'big 29/40 hwy' and the my vehicle is not falling in those fine print estimates. I love everything about my elantra but the main reason I purchased this vehicle it is not doing, or even coming close.

As stated in my above post, if you would read carefully, I said that my hour long commute is all highway. The only stop lights I hit is to murge on the turnpike and when I get off the turnpike. As far as my driving style goes, I am no maniac... I drive the speed limit and at most 10 miles over it. I keep my car on cruise at between 65-75 mph and it is mostly flat terrain.

I purchased this vehicle in July and have used both 'summer' and 'winter' gas and really saw no difference between the two.

You mentioned that you have a 2011 and that you are getting 'what it says it will'... whatever that means. I have read over the forums and see that most mpg problems are in the 2012... do you think this could be the problem? I know that there is no 'claimed' to be difference in the models besides the steering, but maybe there was a smaller change or not mentioned by hyundai similar to the situation with the tibirions.

I am not expecting 40 mpg but at least 30 - 33 mpg would appropriate. I know there is many variables in computing mpg but when a car that is advertised to get great mileage is getting the same mpg as a 2009 Mitsabushi Eclipse, which is heavier, has a bigger, powerful motor, that made the same commute then there is an issue. I am not sure if it is just my car or maybe its the whole slew of 2012, but there is something wrong. Maybe no one has pursued yet because very few have reached the 7000 miles, according to Hyundai 'break in' mark.

I do know that others have reported similar issues with this year. The delarship where I purchased the vehicle said that they have recieved complaints about the mpg and even the women I spoke at Hyundai Customer service said the same thing. So maybe its not just me.

All I want is reasoning for this issue and I have yet to hear one. I think you can agree that when you pay thousands of dollars for something and it doesnt work to the standards set by its own company ( im talking about real word mpg), its disappointing.

Before ridiculing me and my post look at the whole situation... I have researched all the options, variables, and solutions and none of worked. I have reached out to Hyundai and they said they could not help me. So what else do I left to do?
  • AGAIN, you have a 2011...I have a 2012, read the above post to mikeystoy5.

Trade a 4 month old car in? Are you even reasonable? So.. I trade the car and take 3-4,000 dollar loss. GET REAL. I dont hate the car, I love all my features, the look, and the interior design, its just not getting the gas mileage.

And coming up with numbers? The mpg is calculated manually by using the mileage travelled divided by the gallons of gas used. These calculations arent even taken off of the car's computer. So NO they are not made up.

As far as my driving style, I am no maniac... I drive the tunrpike ( ALL FLAT HIGHWAY) to and from work. Set the car on cruise on 60-75mph, reset my mpg and still getting 28 mpg.

Any other input?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Kate, if you look at consumer reviews of the 2011 Elantra, you will note that there are many complaints about inability to achieve the EPA estimated MPG on that model year as well.

If Sarah is getting good MPG (at least acceptable to her), that's great for her. I'd say more than 50% of reviewers have the "bad MPG" complaint, though.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• markwmarkw Posts: 8
    edited November 2011
    I understand the frustration with not getting the mpg you expected but keep in mind those are ideal figures. If you really want better gas mileage you will need to do all or some the things that help. Like remove excess weight, keep the car clean and waxed, maintain a slightly higher tire pressure, use synthetic oil, buy fuel that doesn't have additives (more chance for dirty injector etc though) drive much slower. The elantra likely doesn't have one but my 99 caravan has a real time fuel mileage display and the best mileage is around 52-55 mph. There are some more involved things like a low restriction air filter (I bought a foam one fits standard air-box for my 03 Pilot) and it saves money on replacement filters. After market exhaust would be the most expensive and likely impractical and unavailable for the elantra.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    No, the figures aren't meant to be "ideal" - they're meant to represent the average. If you look at the window sticker, right below the city and highway figures, there's an expected range. The numbers in large print represent the average as in this sample:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratingsNewSticker.shtml

If the low MPG is mostly attributable to driving or maintenance habits, then Elantra and Equinox owners must just be overall worse at both. We're not seeing this level of complaints about ANY other models. Just those two.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews