Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,654
    They are nice cars really. Pass the back lot of Coconut Creek Hyundai daily and as soon as a new batch comes in, they are gone which just shows that the demand is still there. Hopefully by next year at this time when we're ready to buy, that situation will have leveled off quite a bit. I can honestly say that my prediction will be between the Elantra and the Buick Verano as to what she'll choose. Also think that she'll go for leather this time around since she says she wanted it in the Mazda even though I thought the Mazda grade leather was pretty inferior...think she blames me still! But she's buying whatever she wants...and can afford, so we'll see if she finally gets the leather. I'll be happy either way since I only get the car serviced, don't drive her car at all anymore.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• markwmarkw Posts: 8
    Hi Kirstie, you are correct my wording was not good. So then I will say the average mpg is assessed under ideal conditions. If you notice it doesn't say what the speeds were, weather road surface conditons, if there are long delays etc. but you can be sure that the manufacturer did their best to eliminate or minimize those real world affects. I would agree that the complaints are higher on those because the 40mpg is a very high number and personally I would think that it would not be consistently attained under real world conditons. What I always wonder is how people calculate their mileage. You would hae to start with a known amout on fuel add a known amount and then measure after and record city and highway miles which I don't think anyone does. Also pumps are not regulated that accurately for temperature which affect fuel volume. This article explains it fairly well.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2007/aug/22/autos/hy-wheels22
  • i share your concerns. My 2012 limited gets about 32-34 if driven strictly, and I mean strictly on the highway. Any combination of highway/local drops the mpg to about 27. Not what I expected.
  • tturbotturbo Posts: 16
    Are you actually calculating MPG using miles traveled divided by gas used? Or are you relying on the onboard computer?

Here's what I do.
    Wait until my gas light comes on.
    I fill up by inserting the pump nozzle, selected a flow rate, lock it, and don't touch it until it shuts off on it's own. STOP. Do not add more to even out gallons or money. Just stop and go with what the pump gave.
    Reset mileage to 0. Drive normally as you like.
    When the gas light comes on again, right down how many miles you've traveled. Fill the tank like before, stopping once the pump has stopped.
    Take the previous miles traveled and divide by how much as you just put in.

Example:
    350 miles traveled.
    14 gallon fill.
    350 divided by 14 = 25mpg

Do this for at least 3-4 tankfuls to get a greater consistency.

Use your car mpg computer, if you have one, and see how it measures up.

On my BMW my car computer reads a bit different than my calculations.

The manual miles driven divided by gallons used is the BEST and only true method to get to actual MPG.
    The computer may work depending on how it was programmed.
  • tturbotturbo Posts: 16
    Ah.
    Didn't see this before I posted.

I too would expect at least 30mpg if my driving was at least 30% highway. My driving is about 50/50 city/highway. I would expect about 33-34mpg.

40mpg on highway would only be achieved under ideal conditions where you don't have to stop and go before getting to highway, only use cruise control, highway is plate flat, no head or cross wind, and you don't calculate getting off of highway.
    Oh, and no passing of any car where you'd have to give any throttle beyond what cruise is using.

It's a marketing number IMO, that's achieved by using the EPA rules to the manufactures advantage.
  • OK I have posted a few times - couldn't find the car, got the car, love the car.

Then somewhere along the line a rat got in my car. It was only in there maybe 48 hours before all the "strange" things I was noticing concluded to the rat. Needless to say, I can't get the fear of a rat in the car every day I walk up to it. Has anyone heard of this before? Now I don't know if I want to keep it. Others tell me if I get another rat in the car I need to play the lottery...Thoughts?
  • I bought the Elantra mainly for the supposed 40 MPG. I calculated my interstate mpg traveling at 65 to 70 mph and was disappointed with 34. My mpg instrument stated I was getting a minimum of 38 and up to 56 mpg. What a joke. You can try to justify this with some pitiful excuse, but I bought this car because I trusted this company. I have a Volkswagen diesel with 354,000 miles and it gets an average of 46.8 mpg. Exactly as it was advertised. People who say they are getting 40 are probably trusting the mpg instrument and it is not accurate.
    These figures on the car windows are just "estimates" really so keep that in mind. A few miles either way isn't that earth shaking now really. Enjoy the car as it's just an appliance really, a machine to get one from point A to point B. To get mad or angry is a bit over the top I'd think, get agitated about things that really matter in life, not because your mileage isn't what one had hoped. Guess I just don't get it...I fill the car when it needs it, go about my life, refill it when needed...end of story. Why must folks over think so many things...keep it simple folks! :)

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    '12 Elantra makes MT's COTY finalist list (getting a good 30.5 mpg actual result for them during their finalist testing, which is better than two other finalists (Sonic 1.4L turbo and Veloster 1.6L, both with manual transmissions). MT's has a 6-spd manual transmission. Both Focus and Civic are contenders but didn't make MT's finalist list. MT complains about chassis and steering. But they love its styling, interior quality, roominess, trunk space, and engine. Elantra fails to make Automobile's and C&D's lists, though Focus does make both.
    Funny, as I think the Elantra is a better car than the Focus, just wonder whose sales have been higher for the '12 model year so far. I'm betting the Elantra has the higher figure. Have yet to drive the Elantra but was underwhelmed with the Focus SE I tested and didn't like the interior at all, not as open or spacious as the Elantra's. Just from the interior, I'd go with the Elantra hands down. But we've never been Ford people...and probably never will be...the one Ford product my dad had was a disaster...had to be towed back to dealer on the 1st day! The couple of Lincoln's my mom had were just o k, her previous Caddy's were so much better!

Don't know the difference in sales figures for 2012 Elantra vs Focus, but since Ford has a much larger dealership network and advertising budget, I'm assuming they've sold more Focuses overall but Hyundai has sold more Elantras per dealer than Ford has Focuses per dealer. Sales of Elantra have been outstanding so far.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    For CY2011, through Nov 30, Focus has sold 161,436 and Elantra 173,336.
    Do you have the model year figures for 2012 so far? Calendar year and model year figures are two different numbers. Thinking the new Focus is a MY 2012. The '11 Elantra was brand new. So the best comparison for sales figures is MY 2012 only. CY 2011 figures would include MY 2011 and MY 2012 numbers. I'm betting the MY 2011 figures were good for the brand new updated Elantra but not too good for the then aging Focus, at the end of its too long product cycle.
    edited December 2011
    I don't. You might try doing a little research on the 'net or maybe call Ford Customer Service and see if you can get those numbers for the 2012 Focus.

Also given the low price of the 2011 Focus vs. 2012, the 2011 actually might have had decent sales numbers in the first few months of 2011. For example, there were 172,421 Foci sold in 2010. That's almost the same sales pace as for 2011 (compare to the number I posted for the first 11 months of 2011). So the older Focus wasn't too shabby in the sales department.
  • after driving my 2012 elantra limited for 7000 miles, my mpg hovered around 26-27 mpg i just traded it in for a Prius. my first tank averaged at 44 mpg and the ride is far superior to my elantra. Yes i took a little hit, but my pain is eased every time i look at the mpg readout, + 2yrs free service. Good luck and do not put too much weight on those who minimize your complaint
    Enjoy your new Prius! Probably was the best choice for you from the start, given your expectations. Gotta love 44 mpg!

Interesting to note though that you are getting 6 mpg under the Prius' EPA average FE, and 4 mpg under its EPA city rating. And you are OK with that, although you were not OK with the Elantra getting 6 mpg under its EPA average FE and 2 mpg under its city rating.
  • Not to mention the loss of a better warranty. Time will tell I guess, besides it's a toyota and it doesn't matter what the mileage is. He's happy with it. You said you took a little hit ???????. Bet it was more then just a little.
    Did you consider a Sonata Hybrid? Did you test drive one? You may have gotten a lot more in trade than for a Prius.
  • looked at the sonata hybrid but the battery takes up 1/2 the trunk the Prius hatchback design has a lot of room, especially with the rear seats down if needed.
    as for falling under epa ratings, i"ll accept the usual decrease as it occurs in every car, but vast difference going from 50-44 than going from 40-27.
    Bottom line is I'm happy when i drive.
  • zunnizunni Posts: 1
    I see these postings and really wonder - I purchased the 2012 Elantra in June 2011 - six speed box - and now have 12,000+ miles on the thing, on the hwy, a constant 40 to 44 - constant - measured by fill-up or the inbuilt readings - in the City 33-34.

So two options - you have a lemon and should have taken the car back - or you drive with a heavy foot - after 12,000 miles I have a lot more data than most - so I really do wonder about this - what Hyundai did so well here is use a simple basic 1.8 liter petrol engine - no weird and wonderful mods...enough said :)
    Stick or automatic?
  • rudy66rudy66 Posts: 26
    You silly little boy. 499 people out of every 500 complain about their gas mileage. I would guess that they are grown up and many, if not most, have a lot of driving experience. And you imply that our bad mileage is because we do not know how to drive conservately. I doubt that anyone would send notes to this forum if they not were trying to drive as conservately as possible and get good mileage. You got a lucky break - forget the hubris.
  • eweinereweiner Posts: 36
    Have any of you really looked at the average miles per hour the trip computer will display??

Consider that if you dont see a number 55 MPH or above...its not likely you'll get 40 MPG as you're not really doing highway driving.

I'm convinced that many people think they do more highway driving then the actually do. My average is between 29 and 40 MPH. I'd like to get 40 MPG but dont see how I will achieve that if I am not driving in a manner that will allow that to happen.

To the prius buyer above. You got significantly less car for more money. Took a hit, yes you did and you likely gave away all of your fuel savings in the process. Also, lets not forget that the prius is a hybrid and supplements battery for fuel usage.

Historically only the prius and the civic hybrid have shown savings for the consumer over a five year period. And only if you dont pay a premium for the car.

Now I am not trying to belittle your choice to move to Prius, only put some perspective on the decision as I am not sure you will save anything in the long run.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Your point about average speed is well taken. Most people think their average speed is higher than it really is.

Every week I meet a friend for Sunday lunch. 15.1 miles each way. 1.3 miles from home to expressway (with 2 stop signs & a traffic ight) and then moderately excellerate to 60 MPH & set cruise control. Then exit ramp to connect to another highway (have to disengage the cruise for a curve) which is about 45 to 50 MPH for a mile and a half to the next connecting ramp to another highway. Once on this third highway I hit the "resume" on the cruise. This section of highway is about 6 miles. Then on to a 35 MPH road(with traffic light at the end of the exit and one additional stop sign).

The trip is 3.3 miles local and 11.8 miles highway and take 22 to 25 minutes depending upon length of time at stop sign or traffic light. A lot of people would think they averaged 60 MPH and were using the cruise. They forget about the few miles of local roads with stops & starts, and the cut-off of cruise on the connecting ramps. But the best average speed for this trip is about 41 MPH according to the math.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited February 2012
    Yay! My 2004 Elantra GT hatch has been a great car for us (my son uses it as his college car now), and I had pushed the Elantra way down my shopping list for my next car (summer 2013 purchase) because it was sedan-only, vs. hatches like the Mazda3, Focus, Impreza, and Golf.

But NOW... suddenly the Elantra vaults way up my list because of the GT. Can't wait to see/drive it. Glad to see it will be offered with an MT. I hope Hyundai has one at the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show next month. I think that's very possible because I know HMA has used the same cars in the past for Chicago and Twin Cities... in fact my 2004 GT was one of those cars!
    I just looked at the 5 minute video included in the full Media Kit (available via link above). A few things I noticed:

* The center stack looked richer than on the current sedan.
    * The back seat folds FLAT, with the seat bottoms folding up also--just like on the old Elantra GT hatch!
    * The stick shift knob is snazzier than on the sedan.

Also I see that there's a panoramic sunroof. I am hoping that isn't standard. I noticed there's a lot of equipment on this car, including standard front seat heaters and 17" alloys. So I am hoping the base price isn't too stratospheric. If they could keep it under $20k with cloth, MT, no options, that would be pretty good. But it would bump up against some other fine hatches, including the Mazda3i Touring, Impreza Premium, Focus SE, and Golf.

FWIW, my 2004 GT listed at $17.4k with every option available at that time, including moonroof, ABS/traction, 15" alloys (standard), and leather (leather was standard back then). The new GT has much more equipment, however. My price was $13.2k + TTL. Don't think the new one will be anywhere close to that!
  • Has anyone noticed how the passenger door panel doesn't line up to the dash board?

Contact your dealer!
  • sarin2sarin2 Posts: 1
    We bought a 2012 Elantra GLS my husband hit a racoon and the front radiator support, dust cover and the lower front grill was damaged. My question is if I take it to my neighborhood( the guy is good and not so expensive) shop to fix it instead of the dealer will this void the car warranty in the future?