Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I have driven both cars and the Aveo is nice for what it is in the sub-compact class. The Cobalt is a step up in size overall and is a nicer ride especially for long distance commutes. The Ecotec engines are arguably best in class and get great mileage. The new model has been out since 2005 so the minor kinks have been worked out. It is on the top of my list along with the Saturn Astra.
  • luckinsluckins Posts: 63
    I am waiting to see if the aftermarket manufacturers might put out an option of a metal thermostat housing in the future. At lest, that's what I am hoping.
  • tomh4tomh4 Posts: 7
    Dont hold your breath!
  • gene_fitzgene_fitz Posts: 9
    The 30K timing belt inspection is not an "at your cost" issue. If the dealership charges you for that, they are in the wrong. That comes under warranty service. And if the timing belt does indeed need to be changed, all you are required to pay is labor (under 60,000 miles).
    With that 30K inspection there is also an "all points" inspection, not much unlike the Certified Used inspection. This is the dealership's last chance to do any repairs covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. They also check the safety gear, cooling system, and other things that may lose coverage after 36,000 miles.
    This inspection is important. Above just making sure that your timing belt is in okay condition.
    Now, that being said. If you have the 30,000 mile check done, and the 60,000 mile replacement, your timing belt is covered to 100,000 miles under the powertrain warranty. This means, if your belt pops at 65,000 miles and totals your engine, GM has to repair or replace said engine at no cost to you under warranty repairs.
    If you do not have the belt checked at 30,000, OR do not have it replaced at 60,000, then if it goes at 65,000 miles and destroys your engine, the cost is all on you. The warranty is voided because of improper maintenance.
    Be smart, follow the book, and cover your rear.
    Better :) than :sick:
  • zebra111zebra111 Posts: 1
    WOW - it sounds like GM Customer Service has degraded the last time I worked for them in August 2007.

found this on the chevrolet.com site:
    Your vehicle concerns are important to us. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or feedback. To better address your comments and concerns, centers are open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).

From inside the U.S.:
    1-800-950-CHEV

Another - Call or Mail the Customer Assistance Center

From inside the U.S.:
    Chevrolet
    P.O. Box 33170
    Detroit, MI 48232-5170
    1-800-222-1020

But if you are truly working with the correct Customer Service, they should be able to give you a SR number - Service Request and should followup with the Dealership Service Manager about your concerns.

Though it is my understanding that all US centers were closed and all calls are being handled in Manila or Argentina.
  • thomaszthomasz Posts: 5
    I had the same problem, but I'm not sure how I have solved the problem.
  • commuter8commuter8 Posts: 1
    The plastic thermostat on my 2005 Aveo also broke. I felt a slight vibration in the car, heard parts rattling in the engine and pulled over immediately to find fluid leaky from my car. No warning lights, no nothing until this happened. After taking it to the dealership it was determined that the cause of the thermostat breaking was due to the motor mounts shifting and causing the engine to drop (scary) and shift to the right. They fixed the mount, adjusted the engine to its normal position and then replaced the thermostat housing with a Metal one!
  • arichinsarichins Posts: 2
    I just had my thermostat housing bust last week, I was able to get a new part from the dealership, the part cost $90 bucks and was made of metal. The metal part looks to be a lot more durable than the plastic that busted. Installation was a cinch and took under 30 minutes.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I just had my thermostat housing bust last week, I was able to get a new part from the dealership, the part cost $90 bucks and was made of metal. The metal part looks to be a lot more durable than the plastic that busted. Installation was a cinch and took under 30 minutes

Well, if nothing else, its good to see GM reacting positively to correct what may become a larger issue as the Aveo ages. A recall would be nicer, though...even though the plastic housings appear to survive the warranty period in most of the pre-extended warranty Aveos...
  • rainwaterrainwater Posts: 1
    Today, we experienced this problem. My mother and I went to go play tennis at the courts which are about 2 miles from here. We smelled a burnt antifreeze type smell. NO indicator lights came on at all and the temperature gage was neutral. When we arrived at the courts, we lifted the hood, and out came smoke. It looked as if something had been spewing all inside the hood and over the engine and even the passenger side head light. The reservoir tank was empty. We filled up the tank with water, which is all we had, and played tennis. An hour later, we drove back home (approx. 2miles). As we reached the driveway, the temperature gage was heading up to hot. As we parked the car, it reached the red zone. We lifted the hood and smoke bellowed out. The same smell was there. A friend came over to check the car after it cooled for about 3 hours. We used the water hose and filled up the tank, and the water came pouring out, where the housing was split in two.
    We are replacing tomorrow at home, but does anyone know if any other damage was done by driving it home?
    Probably not because you arrived home as the temperature gauge went to red. Make sure you put the proper mix of water and antifreeze.
  • cclement1cclement1 Posts: 2
    Dear Fellow Aveo Owners - I can't tell you how glad I was to find this forum. The thermostat housing on my Aveo burst - also with no lights, steam or warnings- in fact, up until my car stopped running with a (possibly) frozen engine and a blown head gasket- it seemed to be running great. I had no warnings at all. The third party warranty people sent an adjustor to check out the engine and refused to cover any of the cost. I am battling with the dealership and the warranty company about this and was starting to think I was really negligent and it must have been my fault until I saw all the posts about this same problem. I have not received any service bulletins about this and would like to know more about where to find out about how to try to get some help with this. Of course, neither the dealership nor the warranty company have said anything about this. Any thoughts?
    Well first it is a rather new issue here on the forum with only posts about the plastic housing coming in the last 6-months or so. It also appears that it takes a couple/few years for the housing to finally deteriate and crack.

I would printout the forums posts to use as evidense of this problem for one. I can't advise in further.
  • We are having the exact same issue with our 2005 Aveo. We bought the car new in 2005 and this is the 2nd problem we have had with the vehicle. We no longer have any warranty on the vehicle because we did not purchase the extended warranty. We have about 65,000 miles on the car because we used to live about 20 miles away from our jobs and commuted daily. In the middle of the week my husband was driving from his job to pick me up at my job and found that the car was over-heating! Of course there were no warnings, no lights, nothing to indicate a problem other than the the thermostat rising. We checked out the engine, added antifreeze and it came pouring right back out like a water hose!!! We found that the thermostat housing had busted. Upon calling the dealer, we were told there was no warranty to cover this issue. We called around to see if we could purchase the part from the local parts stores, and were told it's a dealer item only. We called the dealer to get pricing and we were told that the part would cost about $25 and were relieved...until they tried to look up shipping info, then the price trippled to $90 and they told us that the part had to be updated because the part they quoted the first time (the "old part" as they called it) had to be updated because it didn't function properly. So, the "old part" is what the manufacturer put in our car when building it. SOUNDS LIKE A RE-CALL ISSUE TO ME! WHAT DO YOU THINK? SHOULDN'T THIS PART HAVE BEEN RE-CALLED?
  • can you believe that this happen to me too today out of all days. i was on the freeway and it was raining. I'm trying to find out if its going to be covered by the warranty because my car only has 33,000 miles on it. But by the looks of this from other people that it has happen to I don't that it will, but oh well. Also I"m trying to call local dealerships, but they have not returned my call. the worst part is that I live 40 miles away from home where this happen, Lucky this happen within 2 miles from my aunts house :D but i think you are right, this part should be recalled. I'm going to call chevy on monday.
  • Can you believe that this happen to me to today out of all days. I was on the freeway and it was raining. I'm trying to find out if its going to be covered by the warranty because my car only has 33,000 miles on it. But before I noticed what has happen I felt like a loud click (sound like when you shift gears) then by the smell of burning water. Since where was a lot of traffic on the freeway and it was raining, I tired to get off as soon as I could, until 5 blocks later I was able to pull into an exit ramp and into a parking lot, that's where I saw what has happen. Lucky there was a auto zone close by and they told me what part it was and that I had to get it from the dealer. But by the looks of this I don't know about the warranty from other people that it has happen to I don't that it will, but oh well. Also I"m trying to call local dealerships, but they have not returned my call. the worst part is that I live 40 miles away from home where this happen, Lucky this happen within 2 miles from my aunts house but i think you are right, this part should be recalled. I'm going to call Chevy on Monday. :sick: I also think these cars should be recalled
  • Can you believe that this happen to me to today out of all days. I was on the freeway and it was raining. I'm trying to find out if its going to be covered by the warranty because my car only has 33,000 miles on it. But before I noticed what has happen I felt like a loud click (sound like when you shift gears) then by the smell of burning water. Since where was a lot of traffic on the freeway and it was raining, I tired to get off as soon as I could, until 5 blocks later I was able to pull into an exit ramp and into a parking lot, that's where I saw what has happen. Lucky there was a auto zone close by and they told me what part it was and that I had to get it from the dealer. But by the looks of this I don't know about the warranty from other people that it has happen to I don't that it will, but oh well. Also I"m trying to call local dealerships, but they have not returned my call. the worst part is that I live 40 miles away from home where this happen, Lucky this happen within 2 miles from my aunts house but i think you are right, this part should be recalled. I'm going to call Chevy on Monday. I also think these cars should be recalled

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=88977416- &albumID=2377269&imageID=36492704

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=88977416- &albumID=2377269&imageID=36492682
  • As I've read this, I also had gone to the internet searching on the issue. This is actually the first time I have seen a thermostat permanently enclosed like this. This is a know defect issue with Chevy; however, it is happening around the 30K - 46K mileage. Short reasoning for this: it's happening about the time most cars go out of warranty. This is not a "power train" part to them. Yes it can affect the power train, but it's not, so it gives them an out. The dealers and any mfgs are going to try and squirrel out of having to pay in any way possible.

This is not specifically an DOT issue either, but here is what I sent DOT, NTSB, BBB and my state Attorney General. I suppose you can even send something to the EPA... I'll have to look into that. It is happening more often than you might think, but nothing will get done if you don't speak up. Oh, be sure to keep any tow and parts receipts. Actually it will do best to scan them.

2005 Chevy Aveo.
    Thermostat is originally, from factory, permanently encased in a PLASTIC type housing. This is all ONE (1) piece. Chevy has superseded this item with a METAL type housing within their ranks/computers, because it was a known issue. This item (Plastic Thermostat Housing) knowingly splits as early as 30,000 miles, for us it was about 46,000 miles. This was never a recall item nor was any information ever sent out warning about it.

Failure of this part leads to the known leaking and expelling of hazardous anti-freeze/coolant on roads but also leads to the unrealized overheating of engine. This can lead to unnecessary engine damage from simple overheating of oil to the extreme of blown head gaskets, blown/broken cylinder rings, warped engine heads or complete engine seizure.

Chevy retails the new Metal part from
    $82.00 - $95.00. This failing part was known early enough that the new product had already been made and distributed to dealerships. Web logs are full of this particular failure, on this vehicle.
  • I am still trying to figure out a way to prove that I am not at fault with the busted thermostat housing in my 2004 Aveo. Can you list the other car forums where you saw that this issue was talked about by other Aveo owners. I am trying to find all the information I can about this to convince Chevy and the 3rd party warranty company that they are responsible for the part failure that blew my engine. I know it was a while ago for you, but would appreciate any other sites that talk about this issue.

Thanks to all.

Carrie in St. Louis
  • I saw a thread about the issue at Automotive Forums. There are only three posts in that thread, though.