Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1998 subaru automatic transmission trouble

vaehsgramvaehsgram Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Subaru
We have a 98 subaru legacy with an automatic transmission. The tranny started to slip and now it grinds and when you put the car in park it still rolls. The fluid is clean and this juccst all of a sudden started. Can anyone tell me if we need a new tranny?

Comments

• hank48hank48 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    I have a 1998 legacy wagon with a 5 speed manual trans. and a auto. trans. from a 1997 legacy wagon. I was wondering if it is possible to put the auto. trans. into the 1998.Both cars have the 2.5 liter engine.
  • subitoosubitoo Member Posts: 1
    Recently, my Subaru started giving off a noise (grating noise like metal against metal sound) when I begin to slow down and take my foot off the accelerator. If I keep the car at a steady speed (any speed), the sound goes away but if I free wheel the noise returns. Another way of eliminating the noise when I want to slow down is to press the brake while at the same time still keep slight pressure on the accelerator. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this? The engine has a 125,000 on it and the car has been well maintained all along. Thanks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My best guess - loose exhaust heat shield.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    While not typical, it might be an issue with a bearing or brakes. You can rule those out easily by lifting each corner and spinning the wheel in turn. Being AWD, make sure you put it in neutral and block the (other) tires.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.