Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Car Sales Really Recover?

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    Lost the link but there was a recent stink with some German company over getting some pigments.

IIRC, that German company is the manufacturer of a key ingredient used in some pigments. That German company manufactures that ingredient only in a plant they own in Japan.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    A reporter would like to interview anyone who has used Edmunds.com's Car Match.

Please email pr@edmunds.com by November 4, 2011 with your daytime phone number and a comment about your experience.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

So far this month:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

“The days-to-turn rate, which counts the days a car is on the dealership lot before it is sold, is at the lowest point we have on record,” said Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds.com senior analyst. “Production is a lot leaner for the domestics these days, while Honda and Toyota are still rebuilding inventory after the earthquake.”

2011 Vehicle Inventory Running Dry (AutoObserver)

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680
    Seems like Mazda might be getting some traction with Skyactiv--they're up 20%

Hyundai and Kia have had a great year--yet again. But at this point with their factories going flat out, I'm not sure show many more they can produce next year.

I think I read somewhere that the KIA factory in Georgia is now running three 8 hour shifts--24 hours a day! That alone boosted their capacity something like 100k units to c. 300,000+ a year....
    If you finally replaced an old car, please email pr@edmunds.com to share your story with a reporter.

"An estimated 866,655 new cars will be sold in January, for a projected Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate (SAAR) of 13.4 million units, forecasts Edmunds.com.... This sales pace is relatively flat from the 13.5 million SAAR recorded last month, but up from the 12.6 million SAAR from January 2011."

Edmunds.com Auto Sales Forecast: Analysts See Chrysler up 35 Percent (chron.com)

"The inventory of Elantras is down to the single-day level.

Nissan North America said its March U.S. sales rose almost 13% to 136,317 vehicles, a record for any month in the company’s history."

Toyota up 15%. Chrysler up 34%. GM up 12%. Ford up 5%. VW up 35/5.

"The only major automaker missing the March sales parade was American Honda Motor Co. Its sales fell 5% to 126,999 from the same month a year ago."

March auto sales leave Hyundai looking for more cars to sell (LA Times)

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    Toyota sales jump 15% on strong fleet, retail volume

Fleet sales represented about 13.5 percent of Toyota Motor Sales' volume last month. The Camry had a 20 percent fleet mix.

Is Toyota suffering from GMitis?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    Ford really dropped their retail incentives. Focus sales, for example, are not sustainable at a March sales level on an on going basis.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    I've read in a couple of placers that Toyota is filling orders for fleets that have been backordered due to last years tsunami.
    Some of them anyway.

"Also Tuesday, Volkswagen of America Inc. said it had its best April sales year 1971, selling 37,525 vehicles, up 31.5 percent from the same month a year ago."

Chrysler's April up 20%, GM down 8.2%, Ford down 5% (Detroit News)

"U.S. auto sales are on pace for the best showing since 2007 and a third straight year of at least 10 percent gains, only the fourth such streak since the Great Depression, as more-confident buyers return to showrooms."

Auto Sales Rise Puts U.S. on Pace to Best Year Since 2007 (Bloomberg)

edited May 2012
    "Almost halfway through the year, the auto industry keeps chugging along toward a mid-14 million unit sales pace, said Jessica Caldwell, Sr. Analyst at Edmunds.com. With continued pent-up demand and consumers gaining more and more access to credit, there's every reason to believe that sales can continue at this rate through the rest of the year."

Edmunds.com May 2012 Auto Sales Forecast (Bloomberg)

"Pent-up demand, falling gas prices and low interest rates are being credited with powering stronger-than-expected monthly gains in U.S. car sales.

"There was great pressure from automakers to close June strong, especially after the unexpectedly weak Memorial Day holiday weekend in May," said Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jessica Caldwell."

Auto Sales Rev Up in June (Inside Line)

edited July 2012
    "You would normally see some holiday sales, some summer sales now," she says. "But that hasn't started."

Seller's Market: Where to Find Auto Deals This Summer (WSJ)

On the plus side, credit is cheap and easy to get again.

edited September 2012
    "August once again played out the theme we've been seeing for some time: high pent-up demand that is being unleashed as consumers have to buy a new vehicle and feel confident enough to buy."
    • Toyota and Volkswagen were impressive performers in August, with sales rising 46 percent at Toyota and Volkswagen posting a 63 percent increase over last August.
    • Volkswagen said it sold 10,090 Passats last month, marking the best August ever.
    • Toyota's resulted indicated that the Japanese automaker largely has bounced back from the devastating 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
    The domestic automakers posted strong August results.

Hyundai Motor America announced an all-time August sales record of 61,099 units.

Resilient Auto Industry Reports Robust August Sales (Inside Line)