Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All-New 2012 + Toyota Camry

Comments

• jimdrewjimdrew Posts: 84
    My phone stopped working with bluetooth when I tried doing the verbal commands...it sounded like a problem with the microphone. I took it to the dealer...my phone worked fine and was paired with the car....but did not recognize my phone commands. First the service adviser checked my phone and of course it was fine...and than he turned the vents from the air conditioning down....I thought he was just guessing but sure enough the voice commands worked fine. This is a known problem and yet Toyota has not let the customer know....it needs to be fixed. If you have your air vents turned up high it distorts your microphone which sits up high but your moon roof. Some type of wind deflector would solve the problem. Come on Toyota let your customer know.......

Jimmy Drew
  • rustmanrustman Posts: 1
    I experience dizziness more than anything when I drive the new 2012 Camry SE I just got. I had a Chevy Impala before and never experience anything like this before...it is bad enough to where I don't even know if I can drive the car anymore.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Posts: 84
    you kidding??? I have never heard of this...the SEV6 is one of the best cars out there at any price range... I have owned 3 or 4 Camry's and many other brands. The Camry is one of the best. You need to see a Dr. and do it soon. BTW as a follow up to my post about the Motorola Max and the Bluetooth connection on the Camry I called Motorola and they did solve the problem. They were able to remote access my phone and reset some of the connections...voila, it works fine. Thanks Motorola for making such a terrific phone as the Droid Razor Maxx. I was going to upgrade to the Samsung S111 but will keep the Maxx!!!

Jimmy Drew
  • Have the 2012 SE V 4 since december 2011. Has 11,000 miles on it now. It is a great car, rides very well and for the most part am very pleased with it. Cannot understand your dizziness etc, but i do not think it is the vehicle.
  • seolbroseolbro Posts: 19
    I moved from a ’03 4-cylinder Accord (a great car that remains in the family) to a ’12 Camry SE. Beside the Camry I considered the Passat, Mazda 6, ’13 Altima, Sonota, Optima and the forthcoming Accord. I quickly dropped the Koreans because they felt agricultural. The current Accord is fat and I feared the ’13 would be the same. No one at Honda could tell me a thing about the new one. Mazda is selling so few of the 6 models that I concluded it will be discontinued and service will become a problem. The Passat was OK but maintenance costs worked against it. The finalists were the Camry and the 2013 Altima. Nissan dealers are playing games on prices. I also noticed that Altimas look old before their time which casts doubts on their quality. So I just started bargaining at Toyota dealers. I am very happy with my choice.

Things to like
    Cruise control: accurate and no delay in pick-up.
    The 5-spoke wheels that look great and are easy to clean.
    Fast and accurate steering.
    Interior quietness.
    Performance of the 4-cylinder engine.
    Gas mileage of the 4-cylinder engine.
    Entune system.
    Roomy interior in a compact exterior package.
    Great headroom front and rear.
    Comfortable seats.
    Hydraulic hinges on the hood. A small thing, but lots of cars still use a prop-stand.
    Solid brakes.
    Slick and smooth 6-speed transmission

Thing to improve
    Some interior plastics are cheesy.
    The switchgear for the heater/air conditioner is decent, but it looks like something from a 1969 Chevy.
    The SE steering wheel has pronounced thumb grabs at 10 and 2 o’clock that are uncomfortably sharp. I hope they soften up over time.

The great “other”
    The taillights are,,, different. Fortunately they work well and I don’t have to look at them.
    There are almost too many storage spots in the front compartment. I’ve lost things because I forgot which cubby I used.
    The glovebox could be deeper. The Altima got this feature right: make it big enough to fit a laptop computer.
    The paddle shifters on the SE are eye candy, but I rarely use them. Putting the transmission in “D” is simple and works very well.
    The Eco driving light may annoy some. I find it a useful reminder to ease off the gas.
    In that vein, you can find yourself going fast in this car without realizing it.
    They don't. The 4 cylinder is inline.
  • tolgactolgac Posts: 6
    Just a quick question to 12 Camry SE users ?

Got a new 12 Camry SE ( due to same reasons everybody mentions in the forum against Honda - smooth ride and steering )...

Specs says 25/34 mpg but I am on my 170 miles ( about 100 miles in city, 70miles highway ) and didn't drive crazy aggressive either - it is showing about 18mpg on the front and electronic gauge ?

What is your experience ? just started to worry if there is anything wrong with mine..

Feedback is appreciated - Thanks
    You need to reset the mileage gauge. I do it every time I fill the tank. Toggle through the odometer/tripmeter display until reach mileage and then hold it down for a few seconds. Both the electronic and analog gauges will reset.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    If you only have 170 miles on it total, don't bother measuring. You are on your first tank of gas, the car had checks done at the plant, moving on & off the car transport trucks, moving around the new car lots, etc. So a lot of idle time when you get 0 mpg.
  • I can't seem to find a consistent release date for the 2013 Camry. I've seen a date in 2011 and I've seen info. That they're available now, but nothing specific. When I bought my 2005 they were available in Aug. '04. I also have read info. In different places claiming both the 2012 and 2013 models were major redesigns. I will be in the market for a new one soon and am trying to get oriented. Thanks.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Posts: 159
    My dealer checked with their Toyota area rep and the '13 Camry is not going to be available until mid-November. Don't know why it's so late. I purchased my '09 in February '08, so Toyota has gone from one extreme to another.
    Not sure what you're expecting here. The 2012 was a full redesign, so the "2013" won't look any different. New prices, options and trim maybe, but no major changes.
  • lntlnt Posts: 188
    My '05' avalon is at the body shop because a lady backed into me at the gas station. I am driving a rented '12' camry le. Has anyone gone from an Avalon to a camry? I was shocked at how quiet this camry is. I thought my avalon was quiet, but I swear the camry doesn't have as much wind noise and road noise as my avalon. The more I drive it the better I like it. My sons think I would be crazy to trade an avalon in on a camry, but I am considering it. I am wondering if there are any camrys that don't have a black steering wheel and black dash. I can't stand the interior of the one I am driving. I am wondering if they will have the ivory interior in the 2013's? I would get the xle, but afraid it might not be as quiet as the le because of the wheels. Has anyone compared the quietness of the two? Can you have the le's tires put on an xle?
  • I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to set the presets in my 2-day old Camry. The photographs of the display screen in the instruction manual aren't like what I'm looking at in my car, so I don't know how to proceed. I am receiving the signal (it only took a total of 4 hours to make that happen), but I cannot navigate past the first six channels on the screen.

Anyone know how to do this? :confuse: Thanks.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    A reporter is looking to talk with anyone in the market right now for a new midsize car. If you fit this description and you’d like to talk with the reporter, please reach out to PR@edmunds.com with your preferred daytime contact info by the end of the day Friday, August 17, 2012.
  • Thanks, apparently Toyota considers the 2012 model a major redesign. I was thrown off because compared to the 2001 (or 2002?) and the 2007 redesigns, this last one looks less significant visually. So if I'm looking to buy a new one in the next few months it's not so important to wait for the 2013 - especially in terms of price.
  • j06j06 Posts: 90
    edited August 2012
    I think Black Steering is standard for all trims. But I have seen Ivory dashboards for XLE trims. Check Black/White exterior models. The ride will be same. XLE is just luxury LE
  • j06j06 Posts: 90
    Accord is showing off on this Monday. Per reports new accord will have so many standard features for LX model. Backup camera, 16 inch Alloy Wheels and touch screen audio system. After driving 2012 Civic EX, I would lean towards accord. The new Hondas are better refined, smoother than previous generations and awesome ride. Only minus is the cabin noise. Nissan & Honda are offering better interior packages. Toyota needs to step up
  • naatz1naatz1 Posts: 187
    We too were turned off that all Camry LE/XLEs (we got the XLE for heated leather seats & options in the convenience pkg like b/u camera) have black dashes & steering wheels no matter if you get the grey or ivory interiors. I wanted a red exterior but neither my wife or I liked the black dash & required ivory interior - the ivory is really more of a creme/tan color. The red SEs come with a dark grey interior but their leather seats have a faux suede cushion which we did not like (and much stiffer suspension). We are happy with our mag grey XLE and the grey interior ... I got used to the grey exterior too, just hope it's not too much of a pain to keep clean in the winter. Note other competitors like the VW Passat, Subaru Legacy & Kia Optima all have a black dash even with their tan interiors so this must be a common mix in "world" cars, it just seems weird to us who have typically driven Chrysler/Jeep and Pontiacs for years.
  • razzzyrazzzy Posts: 1
    Doors can open up from the inside when car is in motion (when locked). Is this normal? Seems very dangerous. Can this be fixed? I know there is child locks on back, but i don't need them.