Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Power Steering fail

Comments

• Thanks Sarah. My GM dealer took care of it. It was a recall.
  • Excellent! Please don't hesitate to get in touch if we can ever be of service.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • OK, add my 04 Saturn Ion with 57000 miles to this incredible list. PWR STR warning light came on, and there was no power steering! Changed fuses for temporary fix, but steering still cuts off. I've been reading these blogs and wonder what can be done to remedy this problem BEFORE someone gets killed. I just turned 63 years old and can't muscle a car with no steering! Hey, GM Customer Sevice, where are you? This is a manufacturers defect. Hoping Sarah or someone from GM Srevice will assist me. Will post results. Thanks
  • I took mine in and there is a recall "type" My Saturn dealer ( GM) took care of it. If you have under 100,000 miles on your Saturn they will replace the power steering column free of charge. You should call your local dealer. I had mine taken care of at the GM dealer ( I think it was GM ) on River Road in Puyallup.
  • I'm having the same problem with my 2006 Saturn Ion. Occasionally when i'm driving on the Interstate and sometimes when i'm driving around town and turn a corner my Power Steering light will come on and I will lose my Power Steering and it becomes very difficult to move the steering wheel. I was reading that GM was extending the warranty to 10 years 100,000 miles....is this true? How do I find out if I qualify for that?
  • We can look into the coverage on your specific vehicle if you were to send us an email with the last 8 digits of your VIN.
    Look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Thanks Sarah....I emailed you my VIN :-)
  • ksg3ksg3 Posts: 3
    We have a 2006 Saturn Ion that is having and has had power steering problems for quite some time. Unfortunately it now has over 100,000 miles and we had problems before the mileage was over but we had no idea there was a recall.We purchased the car used and I am very upset and disappointed to find out now that there is a recall , we have changed fuses which we were told was the problem, and now are told it is gonna cost 900.00 to change everything.Is there any way we can get some help with this?
  • kman_nckman_nc Posts: 7
    Well I started this thread to A) try to get some relief from GM in repairing a problem they knew they had... and B) give other people a forum to see this car is JUNK. My 05 Ion just died. It already had the steering problem, no reverse gear, and pass lock sensor / ignition problem.... well before I cld sell it the timing belt just went. So the lovely carcass is in the driveway waiting for the junk yard wth highest bid to pick it up. Love love LOVE my new VW Jetta and the quality of craftsmanship. Good luck to any and all that are battling the failure known as a Saturn Ion. I fear you will all need it
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning ksg3,

I apologize for a somewhat late response - I have been out of the office since Friday. If you haven't done so already, please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership). We will then look into any available options, however I cannot promise anything up front.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi, I tried to email you and it wont go through.

Thanks ,ksg3
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    If you copied & pasted the email address from here, make sure the @ sign is there. Our system turns the @ sign into an image instead of text - it can create errors like this when doing copy/paste, but it also keeps the spammers from harvesting email addresses.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thats not it , but im still not getting through
    Good morning,
    I believe I did see an email from you come through - my coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails from the forums, will be advising you further.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rokcneyrokcney Posts: 1
    Hello, I have been following this forum on the Saturn Ion's power steering issue, and would like to know how to get in touch with Sarah at GM to see about getting this issue resolved. I believe this car falls in the parameters of the warranty,and will forward the Vin. No. if someone could tell me where to send it to. Thank You very much for any help. Rokcney 03/27/2012
    Good morning rokcney,

We'd be happy to check that out for you - send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the last 8 of your VIN and your request of recall check (I don't answer inbound emails -- that's up to my wonderful coworker Christina, who will help you out).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    An automotive organization would like to speak with used car buyers who bought cars that they later found out were not up to date on recall repairs. If you are willing to discuss your experience, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 10 a.m. Pacific /1 p.m. Eastern Friday, April 20, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thought I'd let ya'll know the latest about the POWER STEERING problems with the 2005 Saturn Ion: I've been looking for RECALLS regarding the powersteering on my car.

I FINALLY found some information at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/index.cfm

It's a sight called SAFERCAR.GOV

This was listed as a Service Bulletin and in May 2012 they EXTENDED the time limit to 10 yrs or 150,000 miles! Good news for those of us who've had their car awhile.

I'm going back and see if there are any more for the same car. Maybe I can get most done in one shot...???
  • Rick, as of May 2012, they extended that service for power steering to 150,000 miles. Check it out...
  • I have read a lot of bad stuff on here. This is a new problem for me. "06" Ion.... I easily got the info from GM about the Pwr Str going out. Obviously this is a common problem. It is called an extended warranty not a recall. Last month at just under 70,000 mi PS went out. not at a high speed. the book tells u how to reset it but doesnt work. It is always back up when I restart the car. Goes out within 10 mins. Under 10 years in service or 150,000 mils it will be repaired at no cost. I called the GM dealer and it didnt seem to be anything new to them. Just an hour or so to do the repair. i will be taking it in next week. Hopefully I will not be back on here with a negative story.