Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Hatchback?

Comments

• doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    I bought my Elantra an hour from home too. I had to drive back out with a friend so he could drive my old car home.

By the way, I've had some warranty work done at a different dealer and they didn't give me any grief about bringing in a car that wasn't sold there. FYI.
  • The Ford Focus only comes with three doors in a hatch-back and four doors in a sedan. the VW golf comes with also the three door hatch-back and has no sedan version that I have seen yet.the hyundai elantra GT I don't know much about so I don't want to even try to help with that...I don't know much about any hyundai's except the tiburon GT V6. ;)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    The sedan version of the Golf/Rabbit is called the Jetta.
  • Has anyone had an update on the new hatch by Hyundai? I would hope that it would be out soon but can't seem to find any information. Also, does anyone know what kind of gas mileage it might get? I was going to just look at the yaris (looking for commuter car) because I love the looks and gas mileage so much...(they haven't really hit our area yet). But for the possible value you get with the Hyundai plus my husband might actually be able to fit...I want to consider it too. We might need this car in the next few weeks if my husband gets another job and we have to drive seperately...
    The 2007 Accent hatchback should be here in a few weeks--target is "spring 2006", but my local dealer doesn't know anything yet. What I recommend you do is tell your dealer you are very interested in the car and ask them to call you as soon as they know when they will be coming in.
    The word on the internet is that *if* there is a hatch version of the Elantra, it will be a 2008 model year release.

The Ford Focus only comes with three doors in a hatch-back and four doors in a sedan.

Go to Ford's Focus website and you will see the Focus comes as a 3-door hatch (ZX3), 4-door sedan (ZX4), 5-door hatch (ZX5), and a wagon (ZXW).

Before buying my Elantra, I *almost* bought a Focus. Had a verbal agreement with the salesman; the only reason I got out of there without signing anything is because I didn't have my trade with me. On the way home, I decided to compare apples-to-apples and drove the Elantra hatch. It was so much quieter than the Focus I bought the Elantra, even though the Focus was almost $1000 less.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    Some things are worth more than dollars. :)
  • lopan1lopan1 Posts: 3
    Moving to Vancouver from overseas in a few weeks and need to get a car sorted ASAP. The main criteria I have are AWD, Turbocharged and under 30K, but the closer to 25K the better. What does everyone think? Is this combination impossible? So far have considered

Subaru
    WRX Sti
    WRX Sedan
    Legacy

Audi
    A4

VW
    GTI

Honda
    Civi Si

Mazda
    Mazdaspeed 6
    Mazda 3

I know that all of the above rides do not adhere to all the criteria, but these are what I have been coming back to again and again. I have not had any time behind the wheel in ANY of these cars, so I am just going off of reviews from the Auto press. Any suggestions or feedback?
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 845
    USD or CAD?

Krzys
  • lopan1lopan1 Posts: 3
    Sorry, USD. Good 'ol greenbacks!
    Mitsubishi Evo
    Subaru WRX
    Forester XT
    Outback XT
    Legacy GT
    Mazdaspeed 6

Enjoy test drives.

Krzys
    Not a turbo, but it has a pretty torquy 155 hp 2.3 liter engine and AWD: The Suzuki Aerio SX. For about $17k. Check it out at SuzukiAuto.com.
  • pointatobpointatob Posts: 30
    maybe this has been discussed on a different civic forum, but does anyone think that honda will release the 5 door hatchback civic model in the US? i was looking at honda uk site where they sell it; it looks pretty sweet and a direct mazda3 5 door competitor. anyone heard anything about this?

pointatob
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    Why is the Aveo sedan being redesigned but not the hatchback.......? :confuse:
  • fire_flyfire_fly Posts: 1
    I also notice that the UK offers the 5-door (hatchback) Civic. They also mention that Honda Civics in the UK have Honda's version of stability control across the line, which the U.S. Civics do not offer. Are there 5-door Civics available in other European countries at this time, with the steering wheel and controls on the left side? If Honda does not offer them for sale in the U.S., is there a way for an individual to order a European version of the Civic and have it shipped to the U.S.? If the cost isn't too expensive to have it shipped from Europe, it might be worth it considering the extra cargo carrying capacity and a safety feature as important as stability control.
    It couldn't possibly be cost-effective to import a Civic.

As for why we don't see the 5-door Civic with all the Euro features, it comes down to two factors: First, hatchbacks are more mainstream in the Euro market but are a fringe segment in the U.S. Second, the relative status of Euro cars moves down one platform compared to the U.S. So a Civic in Europe is thought of as an Accord is in the U.S., and a Fit is thought of the way we think of a Civic. So over there, a Civic is an average family car, not an econobox. As such, it gets a lot of amenities in Europe that they wouldn't put on in the States for fear of pricing it out of its own market niche.
    Accord is called TSX here. Compare the size difference between US accord and US TSX. It is half size bigger.

Krzys
  • pointatobpointatob Posts: 30
    you're probably right about that. coincidentally, i saw edmunds had the pics of the next generation CR-V which sounds like it will stay with a 4 cyl engine on the new civic platform. so if i ask for a civic 5door, honda will say "sure, go buy a CRV!"

also, if anyone has the inkling, they could price out the UK civic 5 door with options and convert to US dollars just to see where they are priced...
  • vermonter16vermonter16 Posts: 29
    I want the Accent! I want the Accent! I need to get a cary VERY soon and I'm not sure I can hold out for the hyundai hatch that I want!.... Does anyone know anymore information on when they might be coming out? I don't know what to do!
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    I don't have exact dates but should be very soon. I will try and see if I can get some info from Hyundai insiders I know :)
    If you really like the Accent, I would look also at the Kia Rio. The hatch version has four doors and I believe is a shade larger than the Accent even though they share the same platform. And Car & Driver rated the Rio higher than the Accent in the $15k econobox ratings. (Accent = 5; Rio = 3, ahead of the new Toyota Yaris.)
    True, but keep in mind the two reasons they rated the Rio5 ahead of the Accent sedan were: 1) better handling, and 2) hatchback versatility. The Accent hatchback has sport-tuned steering and the SE trim has sport-tuned suspension plus 16" wheels, so it should handle quite a bit better than the sedan--probably even better than the Rio5. Then the major advantage of the Rio5 will be two more doors. Also the Accent hatch will start around $11k, and the Rio5 starts at around $14k.
    Here's a short test drive report on the new Rabbit 3-door hatch including some thoughts on how it compares to the Mazda3s hatch, which I believe is its closest competitor:

backy, "The Forums Test Drive Team" #182, 1 Jul 2006 2:12 pm
    Now that I've driven all the new small hatches except the Yaris (I drove the 4-door twice but can't find a hatch to drive), here's my 2 cents on how they stack up. The ratings assume that the Yaris hatch drives about the same as the sedan, and that the Accent SE doesn't handle quite as well as the Fit or Rabbit (although I'll have to confirm that for myself someday).

Here are the cars I've actually driven:

Accent GS MT (and GLS sedan AT)
    Aveo MT
    Fit (base) MT and AT
    Rabbit 3-door AT (and Jetta MT)
    Rio5 AT
    Versa S MT
    Yaris (sedan) MT and AT

Driving position: Accent and Rio5 (tie)
    Honorable mention: Rabbit

Front seating: Versa SL

Rear seating: Versa

Controls and displays: Rabbit
    Honorable mention: Accent SE

Ergonomics: Rabbit
    Honorable mention: Accent

Acceleration: Rabbit
    Honorable mention: Fit

NVH: Accent
    Honorable mention: Versa

Transmission (manual): Rabbit (based on Jetta)

Transmission (automatic): Rabbit

Fuel economy: Yaris

Handling: Fit
    Honorable mention: Rio5

Ride: Rio5
    Honorable Mention: Rabbit

Brakes: Rabbit

Cargo hauling: Fit
    Honorable mention: Rio5

Features: Versa SL

Interior quality: Rabbit
    Honorable mention: Versa SL

Exterior fit and finish: Accent SE

Fun to drive: Fit

Price (with 6 airbags, ABS, and power package): Yaris
    Honorable mention: Versa S
    (Note that right now neither the Yaris nor Versa is available in my area with ABS; the lowest-price car that has ABS available plus 6 airbags and power package is the Fit.)

So overall the Rabbit has the highest number of firsts (7) and honorable mentions (6), with the Accent and Fit tied for 2nd (3/4), followed closely by the Versa (3/3), then the Rio5 (2/2) and the Yaris (2/0). Note though the Rabbit has the highest starting price ($15.6k with destination), so it is not surprising it did well.

The main flaw in this analysis is that the categories aren't weighted. Fuel economy, for example, might be much more important to someone than acceleration. And some categories may not be important at all, while others are deal-breakers. So you need to drive the cars yourself and rate them against YOUR priorities. For example, the Yaris and Versa are no-ops for me right now because neither is available in my area with ABS. And while the Rabbit is a very nice hatchback, it gets much lower fuel economy than I would like.
    noise, vibration, and harshness
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Backy,

Just out of curiosity, did you, or are you planning on driving the Mazda3 hatchback? IMHO, it is the most fun to drive hatchback in the price range you are shopping. It should also stack up pretty well in the features and safety department if you get the SAB package.

Otherwise, that is a nice list :) I'll bet you have had some fun driving all these cars...
    I haven't yet, mainly because if I get a Mazda3, it would probably be the 3i sedan, which I prefer due to its better fuel economy and lower price. I've driven that twice and really like it. I consider the Mazda3s 5-door a premium hatchback, more comparable to the Rabbit 5-door in price and quality. The Versa, Fit, and Accent and by price the Rabbit 3-door are in the low-end hatch class.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Got it, that makes sense.