Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 Chevy Malibu

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Before we get off track, let's remember that this discussion is intended for conversation about the upcoming 2013 Malibu. We have plenty of active discussions for conversation about previous model years. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Has anybody tested the 2013 Malibu?
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    HI ALL: -----------I am looking forward to seeing the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. It is going to have a 2.5 four cylinder engine.

Since the Chevrolet dealer up-dated the software in my 2010 - 4 cylinder Malibu is drives GREAT! ----- I easily get 30 mpg at 60 mph. ----- On a long road highway trip I get 33 mpg with 87 octane off brand fuel. ---- (I still service the engine every 2,500 miles at the dealer, and I use BG / MOA in the oil. ----- I also run a fuel additive to keep the injectors clean.)

I will probably trade my 2007 XLE V6 Camry in the Spring! ------- If the 2013 Malibu lives up to my expectations, I will purchase one! ----- If a Turbo is offered, it might be late in the production year, so as such, I my have to delay my purchase. -------- (I still have some time left on my extended warranty on the Camry!)

Best regards to all!

Dwayne :shades: ;) :(
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,163
    Automobile Magazine wrote a positive review of the 2013 Chevy Malibu Eco. Read full report at
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1112_2013_chevrolet_malibu_eco_drive- n/index.html
  • malexbumalexbu Posts: 169
    edited December 2011
    What's positive in this report, ending with "from where we sit, it wasn't worth it"?

An overpriced, over-engineered car with an untested power plant, compensating odd gizmos and an abysmal fuel economy.

What's positive there, then?
  • beedublubeedublu Posts: 236
    I like what I've seen of the 2013 Malibu, but then I liked the '08-'12 version, too. Except for the so-called "Camaro" taillights and a slightly boxier front end, this new 'Bu doesn't look much different from the previous one.

The bigger problem I have with it is the dimensional changes: Shorter, with less legroom, but wider? What's with that? It seems that they're designing the car for shorter and , uh...wider people. And with the Cruze offering decent accomodations at least up front, plus a larger trunk, why push the Malibu down in size? I don't get it.
    Hi All:

I am still waiting to see the new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The dealer told me that it would be in the showroom sometime in April.

I stopped at a Buick dealer to see the new Verano. I looked at the "top-of-the-line Verano," and it does not come with a power seat on the passenger side of the vehicle! ---- This is a BIG marketing mistake on the part of Buick. ----- My 2010 LTZ Malibu has twin front power seat! --- What was Buick thinking?

Recently I took a test ride on a 2012 XLE Toyota Camry. I drove both the 4 and 6 cylinder models. This is a very nice vehicle. My dealer is very anxious to take my Camry in on trade because of my style of maintenance. He might have a buyer lined up for my vehicle.

On a trip to Gettysburg PA with the Camry, I managed to get 34 mpg at 60 mph with off brand fuel and no cruise control. ------- That is not bad for a vehicle with 70,000 miles. ------- The new four cylinder Camry is rated at an average of 35 + mpg! ---- This is going to be a hard decision! (Camry vs Malibu) --- I have two excellent dealers.

Best regards. -------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;)
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,163
    edited January 2012
    Dwayne,

I saw the 2013 Malibu at the New England auto show yesterday. Compared to the current Malibu it "looks" much bigger, closer in size to the Impala than the 2012. Standing side-by-side to the 2012 the 2013 Malibu looks like a genuine mid-size car compared to the compact like size of the current Malibu.

The interior design, quality and fit and finish of 2013 Malibu is superior to Camry (based on both cars displayed at the auto show) in every respect but when it comes to exterior design I would rate the Camry above the 2013 Malibu. Unlike the other Chevy products that created a buzz at the auto show, the Malibu was anonymous and forgettable by comparison. The Buick Verano is a nice car but pricey (at $28,000) and too cramped on the inside. I don’t think Buick will sell many of these as the target market seems ill defined.

Stay Blessed
    Hi bwia:

Thank you for your posting. I will be going to an auto show at a community college in New York State. There will be a Chevrolet dealer at the show, so just maybe there will be a 2013 Malibu that I can look at!!!!!!!!

My basic concerns are vehicle ride, seat comfort and mpg.

I am lucky because I have two great dealers in terms of service, (Chevrolet & Toyota) I have a 2007 Camry and a 2010 LTZ Malibu.

Thanks again for the information.

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    edited January 2012
    Compared to the current Malibu it "looks" much bigger, closer in size to the Impala than the 2012.

Interesting... If I remember the specs at Edmunds' correctly, 2013 is 3 or 4 inches wider than 2012 but not bigger in any other respect, and they (Edmunds.com) introduce the upcoming model this way: ... Chevrolet will debut a smaller and more fuel-efficient 2013 Malibu.

When you say, Standing side-by-side to the 2012 the 2013 Malibu looks like a genuine mid-size car compared to the compact like size of the current Malibu.,
    do you mean that the 2012 Malibu was also presented at the show, parked next to 2013?

The interior design, quality and fit and finish of 2013 Malibu is superior to Camry (based on both cars displayed at the auto show) in every respect
    Like what?..
    but when it comes to exterior design I would rate the Camry above the 2013 Malibu.
    Because?.. Maybe "the eye of the beholder"? :)

(Buick Verano) I don’t think Buick will sell many of these as the target market seems ill defined.
    I am beginning to feel that Chevy won't sell many of the new Malibus. With the engine problems plaguing recent (2011) GM buyers (see other boards).

GM would better focus solely on reliability, aggressively taking care of those who have been made unhappy with their purchases, for real reasons. Can one name a recent (say, 2008+) GM car/SUV make or model that has been proven "solid like a rock"?...
    With regards to the four cylinder engine problems, most of these issues tend to be with the Chevrolet Equinox. I wonder if these engines come from a different engine plant???????? I have a four cylinder 2.4 in a 2010 LTZ Malibu that is very quiet and smooth! It now has 24,000 miles!

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;)
    edited January 2012
    You are probably right about Equinox being the most visible sore spot. But I've been watching the GM cars' boards for quite a while and have a firm feeling that all the current GM cars are plagued with some fundamental problems. Don't remember how Buick has been surprising its buyers but remember that it has done so, unpleasantly. Cadillac? The 3.6L 6-cyl burns oil like crazy, stalls etc. Impala? Depends on the model year -- may be tires being quickly worn out, may be leaking gaskets. And guess what? For 2012, Impala got an improved engine -- 3.6L (the same as in in Cadillac, I figure :)). Cruze has been with us for one year only and already I've got an impression that the car is causing its owners pains. (I read somewhere that its steering wheel may come off while driving... he-he... But surely the quality of the internal materials is top-notch... and the very special firm seats...) If anything, the Malibu's boards have been relatively quiet over the last year.

The fact that you hear more about Equinox and Impala problems may be, among other things, related to the number of the cars on the road. Where I live, I think I see dramatically more Equinoxes, and somewhat more Impalas than (the 2008+) Malibus. In fact, today, in 2012, it still seems to me that this (2008+) generation of Malibu is a newly designed line -- so few of these cars I see around. And no surprise: with roughly the same MSRP, Equinox is a much more practical vehicle, truly a UV. Being more spacious, it also claims a better highway mileage than Malibu -- 34 vs 32 MPG. What's not to like about Equinox, and what would cause one prefer Malibu? So, I figure, there are more Equinox buyers to be hit with the car's problems.

As for the engines, search for "GM Family II engine" at Wikipedia: the one in the 2008+ Malibu is LE5, the one in the 2011 Equinox is LAF, on which Wikipedia says:

The LE5 is a larger 2.4 L... version of the Ecotec...
    The LAF is a direct injected 2.4 L. It uses technology based on GM’s other four-cylinder direct injection applications...

Perhaps, LAF is worse (i.e. less reliable than LE5), but these two engines don't seem to be fundamentally different. And why should one assume that the 2.4L engine in a Malibu will be always better than the one GM is happy to install in other cars?

I have a practical interest in watching all these troubles: 2012 had been my target year for replacing one of my Malibus with a new car (the GM card cycle being one of the factors.) Another Malibu has been the likeliest candidate. But I am reading all these boards, where day after day, somebody new pops up, cursing his past stupid belief in "the new GM". The car that I've been thinking about replacing, is a 2005 Malibu, which has been reasonably trouble-free: if anything failed, it was auxiliary equipment -- the radio, an A/C component. So, what if I buy a new Malibu, and get a PITA similar the ones I am reading about? (Impala is off my list already, purely because of its disturbing reliability.)

About three weeks ago, I went to a dealer and drove the 1.8L Cruze (didn't like it), and the 2.4L Malibu (still on the list.) In 20 minutes of the test driving one cannot fully evaluate a car (although some can be crossed out after the first traffic light, like Cruze.)

Honestly, I don't know if I liked the 2012 Malibu -- when I test-drove it in 2008, I got a more positive impression. But this is "unscientific" -- again, too little time behind the wheel.

Perhaps 2013 Malibu is going to be better than this generation (at least they made its front end look good, at last). But having connected the dots between the scarce bits of information about it, I do have concerns. And the biggest concern is the engine design and reliability

We'll see... Maybe it will be a 2012 Malibu for me: I am now encouraged with your words. "Quiet and smooth!" -- glad to hear it. After my test drive I got afraid that they have lost that already...

The 2008+ model owners: Have you been happy with it? Is it reliable? Would you buy it again? (This is slighly off-topic for the board about the 2013 Malibu but only slightly, and I would pick the answers posted on another board...) Thanks!...
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    i have the original (2007 aura) and have been very happy with it. its a little over 5 years old and 68k miles. it had a couple minor things go wrong near the beginning but nothing major and they are things that have been corrected on the newer cars. its an xr 3.6 which is what the ltz was patterned after. drives great with alot of power and excellent mileage. about 30 highway and 24 average. i would highly recommend it. it been a very good for a first year car and now being in its 6th year im sure its alot better yet.
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    edited January 2012
    I have had experience with two 2008 and one 2010 GM models.

First was 2008 CTS I had for 15 months when I assumed a lease. It was flawless the time I had it. No oil leaks/usage, nothing. Got terrific highway mileage on two trips to Florida from DC--28.5 mpg! However, the 6-CD radio was not up to the standards I expected in sound quality.

Second is 2008 Malibu 2LT I ordered to my specs and still drive. Has 30K miles and it too has been flawless. Nothing other than routine maintenance. I get 32-33 MPG on the highway with the 4 cylinder, 4-speed auto. Very quiet car.

Third is 2010 Malibu 2LT I bought from stock and still drive. Has 16k miles and had the reflash done which improved the 6-speed auto shifting. This was done when the car was in for an oil change. I get 35-36 mpg on the highway with the 4cyl. This is also a very quiet car.

I will be looking closely at the 2013 Malibu when it debuts. Hope my real world experiences help.
    Hi All:

I will be attending an auto show on January 27th, and hopefully they will have a new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu at the show.

My choice in terms of a vehicle has come down to two vehicles. ------ A 2012 XLE Camry or a 2013 LTZ Malibu. ------- (The Camry will hold its value better than the Malibu, and the Toyota dealer has excellent service. ------ On the other side of the issue, I like the looks of the Malibu, but it will lose value quicker than the Camry. ------- The Chevrolet dealer also offers excellent service.) ------ The new Malibu will have twin exhaust out the back, while the Camry offers a single exhaust. --- I like the look! ------- (To get a twin exhaust, I would have to purchase a V6 XLE Camry!) ---- Do I go for "looks," ----- or do I go for "value?"

Best regards. -------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
    Thank you all (djm2, onefunkar and bryan, so far) for summarizing your experience -- this is, indeed, very helpful! I won't be replying to each post, to reduce the noise in the thread, but I do appreciate all of them.

bryan: so, the six-speed transmission does get you a noticeably better MPG? Do you feel the difference between the 4- or 6-speed ones when you drive? (I know that "six" is the only option now, just am curious.)

And I am now torn between the 4- and 6-cylinder engines :)

Thanks again!..
    Hi Malexbu:

As I have said earlier, ----- I have two vehicles that I use mostly for long "over the road trips." ------ (A 2007 V6 XLE Camry & a 2010 4 cylinder LTZ Malibu)

The Camry gives me excellent mileage with "off brand 87 octane gasoline" at speeds of 60mph. (I have had this vehicle up to 34mpg based on the "on-board computer read out!" --- I do not use cruise control!)

The Malibu also gets good mileage on the same fuel. I have gotten 33mpg at 60mph.

The V6 engine in the Camry will "pin your body to the back of the seat" when you put the trans into passing gear on the highway, ---- and coming out of the toll booth, I could probably stay with the average GT Mustang. It reminds me of the operating characteristics of the 1956 98 Olds of past generations! It is simply very powerful!

The 4 cylinder Malibu does not have anywhere near the power of the Camry, but the engine is very smooth and adequate for highway driving.

I like the 4 cylinder Malibu, and I would assume that the new 2.5 four cylinder that will be great in the new 2013 Malibu.

I would like to see GM offer a two door version of the Malibu with a 6 speed stick and a heavy duty clutch, & dual exhausts! It would look great in a deep Cherry paint or a deep bottle Green!

Once GM re-programmed the computer in the Malibu it went from a maximum of 27mpg to 33mpg and its performance increased.

The original equipment Goodyear tires were garbage. They could not hold air between my 2,500 service intervals. I immediately replaced them with Michelin tires. The car drives totally different. It is great in the snow. It is like a tank! ---- If I purchase a Malibu, the dealer will have to work with me in terms of replacing the Goodyear tires with Michelin tires. (If I cannot do this, there will be no deal!) ---- The 2012 Camry comes with Michelin tires!

I have two great dealers, ------ so service is not an issue with regards to a purchase.

Vehicle Price and the trade in value of the 2007 Camry will be a factor, but if the figures are close a decisions will have to me made!

Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;) :)
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    i really like the 3.6 v6 not quite the mileage but close and alot more power and easier on the engine but it really doesnt matter because thanks to government regulations malibu no longer comes with a v6...
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    bryan: so, the six-speed transmission does get you a noticeably better MPG? Do you feel the difference between the 4- or 6-speed ones when you drive? (I know that "six" is the only option now, just am curious.)

Yes, mileage with the 6-speed is clearly better. I drive the same route each week DC to Delaware coast and fill up at same station each return trip. I reset the Trip B odometer each time I gas up. The '08 usually has used almost an extra gallon compared to the '10, with same miles travelled.

It took getting used to the 6 speed in this car; the 6 speed in the '08 CTS I had with the 3.6L was to me the perfect combo; never noticed the car shifting or downshifting--it seemed seamless to me. However, I did notice the shifts in the 6 speed Malibu before I had the reflash done like the other poster above. I do notice the shifts in the '08 4 speed, but they seem a little different, but hard to describe how. The 4 cylinder engine has enough power for me; I can pass with no problem on 2-lane highway when I need to.

You asked in your original post if I would buy the car again--I did! I liked the '08 so much I purchased the '10. It's interesting how they are very similar yet also somewhat different. Each is a 2LT. Same cashmere interiors. The '08 is dark blue metallic and the '10 is mocha steel metallic.

The '08 is a tad quieter--no sunroof; the '10 has one. The daytime dash lighting is better in the '10. The '08 door cupholder area is nicer than the '10. The outside mirror and power door lock buttons are in different positions. Either set up works fine for me. The fit seems "closer?" on the '08 than the '10, especially the gap where the driver's door wood trim meets the dash wood trim.

Hope this helps. I like the cars and it's nice to see others are enjoying their Malibus too.
  • Just a heads up on the 2012 and 2013 Malibu's. Both received some additional upgrades to the 6SPD transmission, with the 4CYL, that improve shift feel and FE. For the person who has the 2010, I highly encourage you to try the 2012+ models for comparison. I don't think GM changed the FE sticker on the 2012, but you should notice improvements in real world driving.