Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 BMW 525i (N52) possible wide spread defect

2»

Comments

• bizzzzybbizzzzyb Posts: 3
    I would like to join in any law suit for this matter. I have a 2006 530i and have just been told I have broken cylinder head bolt. Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose, CA has quoted be $4,500 for the repair! That is absolutely ridiculous. I drive my car carefully and make sure it's well maintained. It is completely unacceptable seeing that this is a known problem, caused by BMW design, and the dealership is expecting me to pay$4.5K. I used to be a huge advocate of BMW, but after this, if BMW doesn't own up to their problem, I will never own a BMW again and oppose anyone who considers buying a BMW.
  • pilcheespilchees Posts: 3
    I feel your pain. My first quote was $4500. After much discussion with the manager of the dealership they reduced it by half (admitting what????). Then when I actually went in for the repair they simply drilled out the one bolt and replaced it, costing me way less. Knock on wood it has been a couple of years and all is well. I don't know if there is a lawsuit or not. BMW knows this is a problem and they corrected it the following year but they appear to be masters of not taking responsibility for it. I did quote another person who had their charge reduced and that may have helped my case with the local dealer.
    I quoted 3 people who got assistance. However, Will (extention 7799) from BMW USA told me BMW USA will do nothing to help. I ask for a reason why, and questioned why others received assistance while I didn't. He said he didn't have an answer and it was determined by another department that I couldn't speak to. Also, Stevens Creek BMW isn't offering any assistance either. I am very upset and disappointed about the situation. I've been without a car for 2 weeks, waiting for a response, just to basically hear, "tough luck, buddy."

I used to be one of BMW's biggest advocates. I use to talk about how much I love my BMW and recommended them to everyone. Now, I will never buy a BMW for the rest of my life, and will speak about my poor experience with them - how they makes defective engines that cannot last 6 years, 100K miles, and take NO responsibility for their flawed design. Don't pay a premium to receive a headache. BMW is a company that doesn't assume responsibility for their mistakes.
  • pilcheespilchees Posts: 3
    I did mention to the manager of the dealership that I was going to contact the owner of the dealership and demand good service, if not I would post negative feedback about that dealership and also would contact an attorney if necessary. I don't know if that helped or not but I think perhaps it did.
    After spending more house talking to BMWNA and my local dealership, I still got nothing. Just seems like I'm wasting my time. They keep saying your car is out of warranty, and I keep saying I know, but this is a problem caused by BMW manufacturing and that they should assume responsibility for a problem cause by a their lack of competency.

I guess I'm just going to have to eat the $4,500 cost. However, I will never buy a BMW again. I was saving up for a 6-series, but it looks like Audi just got a new customer. I'm 31 years old so a lot more cars in my future. BMW is idiotic for not taking responsibility for the mistakes, and losing a customer and advocate of their brand.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    This might not help YOU, at least not immediately, but please report the issue to the NHTSA at www.safercar.gov

They have the authority to investigate if they feel it is warranted.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Wichita Falls Texas BMW... Approximately July 2013, I experience the same issue of $4G 000.00

• I was told that I had a couple broken head bolts in the bottom of my oil pan. I was experiencing a leak from the front of my engine. Witicha Falls BMW was not sure of where it was coming from and made a couple exploratory guesses at a significant cost of repair for each possibility. It is really great when you are the only BMW dealer in the region. Before my costly after warranty repairs, they act as though this was an isolated case. Completely mind boggling. Obviously this is a systematic problem and BMW should take ownership. $4000.00 is a lot of money to pay for a problem that the name of BMW should guard against. If there is a class action case, add the name of Carl English of Burkburnett Texas.

• sunny48sunny48 Posts: 24

Reading these posts makes me realize that I may not want to buy out the car I am about to order at the end of the lease.

2»