Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Change JUST the Oil Filter on my 04 FXT

edunnettedunnett Posts: 553
Hello! I've been changing my own oil for decades but never removed the oil filter with a full oil pan (only removed it after draining the oil pan) so I have to ask the question so I know what kind of mess to prepare for.

Does anyone know approximately how much oil will drain from a full oil pan if I remove the oil filter from my 04 Forester XT?

The background: I changed my oil yesterday and dropped my very last filter in the drain pan with the old oil filter and couldn't tell them apart. Ugh. I am now waiting for a new case of filters to arrive - and when they do I will swap the one I screwed in with a fresh clean one (in the event that I put the old one back on). But I don't know if the 5.2 quarts of clean oil will follow the filter out when I remove it.

Thanks!
Elissa

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,279
    No, it won't; the amount of oil that comes out will be very similar to your normal methodology. I would guess about ten ounces, including what is in the filter. I agree with your decision to replace the "new" filter... better safe than sorry!