Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Owners-Meet the Members

Comments

• glasschimeglasschime Posts: 13
    We are in the process of shopping for a 2002 Odyssey and here is a site I've found helpful.

www.carbuyingtips.com/scams
  • tuck16tuck16 Posts: 2
    Just picked up our 2002 Odyssey, I actually got 761.00 off the sticker price, (NO lie), although it's the lx model I got a cd player and roof rack and bug deflector at dealer invoice. It's the havasa blue model, Thank goodness I got rid of the caravan piece of crap. Got the car in VT, I had to drive about 200 miles but well worth the drive, Chris and Shelly.
  • We're considering going out of state to get a 2002 Odyssey. What considerations are there in doing this tax wise?

Thanks!
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    I think it depends on state where you live in - some states have a sales tax, while others call it a "use tax".
    Lot of times dealer will give you temporary tags to transport van home. When you go to permanently register vehicle then you pay full sales tax in that state. However if purchasing state required tax, you may only have to pay difference in tax rates when you register it. Again, each has it's own rules.
    Maybe someone who followed this route cana relate their experience.
  • Hi,
    I just purchased a white 2002 Odyssey EX from Tampa Honda Land. They had 3 red ones and one white one left. I took the white.

Since I am out of town on business I will not be able to pick it up until this weekend. The paperwork is coming to me by mail.

I did not take the extended coverage because I generally never take them with other purchases. I welcome comments by club members on whether or not I should reconsider.

IT is my intent to continue to participate in this club to share my experiences, and learn from others.

I have 2 questions the first for GGLENN. Is ZYMOIL a wax, and where would I look to buy it.

The second question I rtead but cannot now find. It is from a Club member said he installed a cd changer, and it was fairly easy. Was that the one that goes in the dash or the one that goes under the seat? Also what was the cost of the unit from Honda parts.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Just thought I would post something to keep this thread from going 'read only' due to inactivity. Doing my civic duty....

I'm Steve, and I am a car-oholic. Had a '97 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (lease) which I traded-in at 38 months w/45k miles (a little used lease provision allows you to do this for fun & profit) on a 2000 Ford Windstar SE (lease). Sold the Ford to a friend at 24 months w/32k miles and bought a '02 Ody EX (GG cloth). At a few days shy of 1 year, this van looks like a long term keeper, but time will tell.

I also bought an '02 Subaru Outback Wagon 16 months ago, and am active over on the "Subaru Crew" board here at Edmunds.

Before owning/leasing the above, I had a string of Toyota wagons (Camry/Corolla). Have had econo hatchbacks, a sport coupe, wagons, vans, and even a Ford F-150. Bought my first new car in '79 (a Ford Fiesta), so I have been at this for a while....

I am an engineer, live in the Hudson Valley region of NY, and have done much of my own car repair over the years.

Steve
  • doncasdoncas Posts: 11
    I am about to change the oil on our 03 Odyssey LX for the first time. I like to perform regular maintenance and have always changed the oil myself on our previous vehicles. Any special consideration I should be aware of when changing the oil in an Odyssey? I have heard some bits and pieces about having to replace the oil pan drain plug at every oil change. Can anyone help?
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Posts: 358
    Don:

You dont replace your oil drain plug, just replace the oil drain plug washer is good enough.

Have fun!

bjk
  • I got my first Ody in 2001, granite green EX, put 26K miles on it and my only complaints were the power doors opening without warning while driving down the road. that was a shock, with two babies strapped in carseats right there and the horrendous pull to the right on the freeway.

I love the seats and the power outlets and overall the whole car. we were in a horrible accident two weeks ago, and the car is TOTALLED but we walked away without a scratch.

needless to say we are in the market for a new Ody, sad that the granite greens are gone, and am finding the dealers are willing to negotiate, but are basically rude when it comes to the Ody. they think that we as customers will pay ANY price BELOW MSRP and be happy. I think not.

I have 5 children, from carseats to teenagers and I must say that my car gets a work out daily!
    Sorry to hear about your accident, but happy for you that everyone is OK. Sounds like the vehicle protected you well, and gave it's life so that you didn't have to!!

Best of luck in replacing it. At least they are finally talking 'below MSRP' rather than equal or above as they could do for so long. I too was surprised that they would drop one of the most popular colors.

Steve
  • ritzolaritzola Posts: 1
    Can some let me know on the new Odyssey, if you slide the two second row sets together, can you get three kids cars seats on them? If not how do you get three kids car seats in without having the third row of seats up and losing all that cargo space? Thanks in advance. Rgds.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,857
    No you cannot fit 3 car seats when the 2 rows are together - there are only 2 seatbelts/latch attachments.

We have friends who pulled out one middle seat and have their infant on the remaining one and on the rear seat they have 1 in a car seat and 1 in a booster.
  • I would like to know how to respond to a specific message that has been posted, so that I can possibly help someone in need of an answer. Sorry, I'm knew. Thanks for the help.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    The Town Hall discussions are in linear format, so the only way to reply specifically to a particular member is to enter their screenname in the title of your message.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Just bought my first Honda. Didn't get the Honda extended warranty. Any clues on which direction to go?
    There is plenty of opportunity to buy it (from any dealer in the USA, up thru 3yrs/36kmiles), so you need not rush or worry. I found a great deal on-line about a year after buying my '02 Ody.

Steve

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• salsasalsa Posts: 20
    Hello, I own a 2003 Infiniti. I love the way it looks and drives, but I only drive about 2,000 miles per year. I spend much more time as a passenger in my wife's 1996 Odyssey. The Odyssey is much more comfortable than the Infiniti for the passenger.

Now, I'm thinking of getting her a 2005 Odyssey Touring. Really, she's still happy with the 1996, but I would like more comfort, luxury, and gadgets. I'll make a post for suggestions on how to dress it up a bit inside and out. Even after paying $40,000 for the Ody, I'll still have another $10,000-20,000 to "pimp my ride." I plan to post my question in Honda Odyssey Owners- Accessories & Modifications, unless there is a better place.
  • We came here to research our 1st Ody and yesterday we upgraded from an LX to EX. All the new bells and whistles were simply irresistible. Our 2000 LX had few problems. Thumping under the floorboard while turning the steering wheel, armrests coming loose after reinstalling them over seat covers, simple stuff. Installed a hitch and brake controller for a trailer that worked well. Now gotta do that again. I like where they moved the shifter and the controls in the EX are very accessible if a little confusing. Never got extended warranty, the reliability of Honda stands on it's own. My 1977 Civic held up for 13 years and 1 boot replacement, Honda and Toyota are the greenest car companies, they use the technology to keep consumption low and won't go along with the others who don't. Support companies who work to balance safety with economy, they deserve it.
  • luckylouluckylou Posts: 308
    On December 28th we purchased this terrific vehicle our second minivan, the first was a 1991 Mazda MPV which had no power and awful mpg. The Odyssey color is Ocean Mist with black leather interior, does not have Nav. I have driving it once and is great ,by the way it belongs to my wife and she love it , easy access ,comfortable seats , huge cargo. I drive a 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser and this minivan drives just as good , for a lot less money . Some of the option we got are : F&R mudflaps , moonroof air deflector , wheel locks. It drives so smooth and better mpg. , I am thinking selling my wheels and getting another Odyssey.

Lou
  • I purchased a 2005 Odyssey Touring on 12/31/05. I love the van so far. I like playing with all the gizmos & gadgets.
    ...congratulations! Did you post your purchase experience in Odyssey Prices Paid?

• Have owned my 2005 Odyssey EXL for two days and am loving it. It is my third mini van with the first two being Chrysler's Town & Country. My last minivan was top of the line for 2000 and I can't believe how luxurious my new Honda is compared to the T&C. This is my last mini van too as my oldest is a HS freshman and when I am down to 2 at home I'm going to an SUV. We are really enjoying the rear entertainment and the sunroof. Whoever invented wireless headphones deserves a medal! My kids feel they have a lot more seating room in it compared to my last van . I even hauled home a desk yesterday in the rear by just folding in the back seats - super easy.

I'll check out the other forums, enjoy your vans! Linda
  • glasschimeglasschime Posts: 13
    Do you need a new tranny to go with that oil change?
    Odyssey owner is not alone in her quest for quality repairs
    Sunday, May 29, 2005

Christopher Jensen
    Plain Dealer Columnist

Once upon a time, Diane Green believed in Honda quality. No more.

Green has had the transmission on her 2001 Honda Odyssey replaced four times. That is not often enough to be confused with scheduled oil changes, but it is impressive.

A Honda spokesman used words like "rare" and "unfortunate" to describe Green's experience. However, rummaging around on several Web sites indicates Green is not alone when it comes to having more than her fair share of transmissions.

"This is the second transmission with this van," wrote a Milford, Conn., man in a complaint to the Center for Auto Safety (www.autosafety.org). He, too, owns a 2001 Odyssey.

A man from Chino Hills, Calif., who also owns a 2001 Odyssey, wrote: "This is the third transmission. The second one was replaced at 41,000 miles."

Read the rest of the story at this link.
    http://www.cleveland.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/business/1117272771306010.xml&coll=2
  • daedae Posts: 143
    You forgot another quote from the article:

In fairness to Honda, her transmissions have been replaced without charge, although Honda has been using remanufactured transmissions, not new ones, for all its replacements.

While she has been greatly inconvenienced, I can think of other automakers (like Chrysler with its sludged-up 2.7-liter V-6s and Ford with its head-gasket-busting 3.8-liter V-6s) that have been guilty of major mechanical sins and then refused to stand behind their work, forcing people who trusted them to pay thousands of dollars.

And long-term reliability studies from companies such as J.D. Power and Associates and Consumer Reports magazine show that overall, Honda is a quality manufacturer.
    ...although Honda has been using remanufactured transmissions, not new ones, for all its replacements.

And they fail to note that remanufactured means that Honda reuses only the transmission housing - a big hunk of cast metal. All mechanical parts inside are replaced.
  • bush5bush5 Posts: 2
    Whenever I shift from reverse to drive (and visa versa), there is a clicking noise which appears to be coming from behind the left front driver side wheel in my 2002 Honda Odessey. Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks!
  • Can someone help me out? Just bought a 2005 touring ody and am having trouble figuring out the doors. Can you open/close the side power doors with the key in the ignition? All i get is beeping!! I have tried hitting the unlock button in the car, but it doesnt seem to help
    Yes - the doors must be unlocked and the transmission in park.
  • krish1krish1 Posts: 1
    I bought Odyssey EL/NAV/RES OCT -05. NAV. It started giving me problems now. I cannot use NAV anymore need to take it to the dealer. I am afraid that they will mess up with original wiring; you know what I am talking about.

Problems:

1. Navigation system does not show the right location, current position icon is not correct.
    2. It takes minutes to show up the initial screen
    3. When I punch in street addresses to map new address, each letter takes 3 minutes before it accepts my touch.
    4. Even after going through this, it takes hours to calculate the distance.
    Ex: From Nashville to Atlanta, 5 hours drive. I entered my direction in Nashville. It took 4 hours to calculate the distance and direction. I almost reached the I-285 by this time. I have frustration with my navigation system
    5. When I backup, camera takes more than a minute to show. After changing the gear to move forward, camera still on.

PS: I followed the instruction manuals but it did not help. I disconnected the battery power, reset it, still have same issue.

Anyone having similar issue?
This discussion has been closed.