Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Terrain, should I wait or get 2011.

2»

Comments

• cheryl05cheryl05 Posts: 19
    we are thinking about buying a 2011 gmc terrain sle-2 ...it has 34,114 miles...2.4l 4 cyl., automatic 6 speed and is red. they want 23,992.00 for this suv, is this a good mechanically sound vehicle and is the price a good one? please help
  • waxhappywaxhappy Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 11 SLT 6 cyl terrain. There is a knocking in the engine compartment by the driver cabin. Dealer said they think something is wrong with the a/c compressor and GM is aware but doesnt have a fix for it. It is loud and annoying. Sounds like a helicopter.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this knocking noise with your Terrain. If you had wanted for us to open a case (even just to document this concern), please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lrm1956lrm1956 Posts: 1
    I've owned and traded a 2012 Terrain. I've read the forums across the interwebz...GMC plants are out there placing wonderful things on forums about how great this vehicle is,, and we have the GMC "customer service reps" out there responding to consumer complaints, as above. If I could simply say these things below and convince one person or family to not buy a Terrain I would simply say this: I never reported my problems to GM - therefore, when I traded, there were no reports on the vehicle's actual performance or problems we experienced, and therefore, received a higher than usual trade-in allowance.

I bought a 2012 SLE 2 Terrain w/ V4 engine: it knocked from the rear (probably the fuel pump), it sputtered in gear when sitting still "P" or idling in "D" drive, it lunged forward while idling; it has tremendous blind spots (even w/ back up camera, w/ zero distance indicators, no beeps, sirens or horns & zero way of distinguishing distance-to-object in camera) caused me to hit a mailbox - cost me $189 to replace the driver's side brake light assembly in lift gate) + $30 for actual labor to replace - the passenger's side windshield is so warped, that it causes any other vehicle next to you, on your right side, in other lane,, to actually "look" like they are coming in to you to "hit" you!!!! It will frighten you.

There are so many forums and sites that chat it up about the Terrains...yes they look great, have red stiched interiors, look great in and out, however; their drive train, computer programming, piss-poor components, lack of visibility, and never, never does it get the sticker's MPG - never! I've gotten at BEST 23.8 MPG, w/ or w/o the "ECO" on or off - this vehicle is over priced - will never reach EPA MPG estimates - has diagnostic issues - $*&$ it, I've gotten rid of mine and I'm very happy that I got $21,500.00 for a trade on a Terrain that I bought new - in Nov 2011 for $24,575.00 - thank God they gave us a good trade...I was happy to give the Chevy Dealership the difference!! and GET THIS --> within one day, someone wanted to buy our truck! LOL Good riddance, Terrain...
  • i have 2011 terrain , at 37000. miles the catalytic converter went out, the head liner fell down , the motor rattles like a diesel motor, the front end sounds like its going to fall apart, dealer says that the motor in those types of cars are suppose to make that rattle , but now after working on it for six weeks they dont know how to fix it so the tell me the gmc rep. said not to do any more work on it because i didnt use there brand of semi centhic oil that is RECOMMENDED in the manual , i will never buy a gm product again , they dont stand behind the crap that they sell , once it is sold the need to put on the new cars AS IS NO WARRANTY
  • Good morning lemonbill1,

We're sorry to read about the situation with your Terrain. Do you have a Service Request number (71-**********) that we could check into? Please send that, or the last 8 digits of your VIN, to us at socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • lemonbilllemonbill Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    2011 terrain service #7130070 , ( B6210209 ) socialmedia? i almost forgot it burns oil , a quart between changes, just got my terrain back today after the dealer had it for a week , now i have a head liner that is worst then it was before i took it to them but they said the liner will shrink to fit over time , i got to laugh i have no choice
  • Good morning lemonbill,

When I pulled up your VIN, I saw that you do not have a Service Request open on this at this time. If you would like for us to look into the situation further, please email us the following information so we can get one set up for you: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, current mileage, and the name of your dealership. Again, our email address is socialmedia@gm.com

• lemonbilllemonbill Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    iam not able to find socialmedia@gm.com could you help me with this . they tell me my warranty is void for not using (dexos) brand oil but this also falls under the magnusson - moss warranty act that gmc owners should know about
  • Good morning lemonbill,

If you wanted to try my email at sarah_grace@gmexpert.com, I can forward it to Christina.

• I am within inches of leasing a 2013 Terrain and am hesitating after reading the posts on this forum. How was the knocking noise resolved?
  • mseramsera Posts: 24
    Whats to worry about when its a lease. Anyhow to answer your question.
    My cold start knock noise was solved with a recall and replacement of the Camshaft position sensor at 7 K mikes. It is now 13K and no reoccurrance.
    ANy specifics questions about the car let me know :)
  • Glad to hear your problem was resolved. Thank you for answering. :)
  • sjyunsjyun Posts: 1
    Any update on your issue?

I just started getting this issue. I'm close to 36k miles with my 2011 slt.

My fiance was driving the car a few weeks ago and the car stalled and the engine light came on. I took it to a GMC and they said "it's a dirty throttle body" and charged me $200 bucks to clean it. Car had no issues again till the same issue came up AGAIN. I'm just aching to hear what the issue is now.

I've been searching forums everywhere and it seems like most 2011 terrains are (conveniently?) stalling at around 35k+ miles. And each separate dealership is listing different reasons as the cause....maybe GMC might need to look at the design again and do a recall BEFORE we need to go back and forth for the same issue.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    siyun,

We're sorry to hear that the problem has resurfaced for you. If you wanted for us to check into anything further for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a brief summary of the situation) .

• My 2011 terrain is still knocking and banging , I was told by the service rep that's normal and it uses a quart of oil between oil changes and he said that's normal its in the manual , head liner fell , well that's the glue the factory , so I have a new car that knocks rattles uses oil and a mess up head limber that the dealer won't fix any problems or just don't know how to fix , ill never buy GMC again
2»