Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M-Class Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Is anyone having excessive oil useage on their ML 430?
    Eric
  • Folks - just joined the club. I have a 98 ML320 with 42k and just went out of warranty. I failed to secure any extended warranty so I am faced with the question of whether to trade it for something else or take the risk of keeping it without warranty. If I keep it, I would keep it for another 3 years. The only thing going for it is safety!

Based on all the problems encountered with 98 production, what would you do... At this point, I assume I can't get any extended warranty.

Any suggestions/opinions/comments are very welcome!

TIA
  • kfricemankfriceman Posts: 17
    Pick it up Friday!!
    Black w/gray interior
    Chrome Wheels
    Bose Sound
    3rd seat
    Tow Package
    DVD
    Running Boards
    21000 miles
    $34500
    Sport Package
  • kfricemankfriceman Posts: 17
    Please tell me all about these hidden driving lights within the headlights and how to activate/install. I have the switch inside, but nothing happens when I activate it. I hear rumors of installing H3 bulbs and having the dealership activate the switch, is this true?
    Thanks in advance,Kevin.
  • jcaexecjcaexec Posts: 2
    Should I buy the ML 430? Is it going to be a maintenance horror story? ML is silver with black leather interior. CD changer, BOSE sound, heated seats, NAV system. 21,000 miles asking price $38,000. What do you guys think?
  • bertram60bertram60 Posts: 113
    If you DO NOT have Xenon's, then there is a fog light section of the regular head lamps. It is inboard on each lamp, pre-wired, all you have to do is put in an H3 bulb and ask the dealer to activate that feature and viola - fog lamps. I bought a set of 85W Piaa superwhites and they work very well at filling in close to the truck. It's a little tough getting your hand in there on the passenger side, and be sure to have a small mechanics mirror so that you can make sure you get the bulb in completely and the cover on, as you can get moisture in the lamp if this is not done correctly. I had to dry out mine after trying to cheat and doing it by feel (I have eyes in the tips of my fingers, but they weren't working that well, I guess they need some glasses!)

Good Luck
  • technogtechnog Posts: 2
    Have had the 2002 ml320 for a while, and love the way it drives. Someone told me something interesting, and I havent verified it yet, apparently, the ml320 weighs 1K lbs more than the lexus 300 suv.
    I have always liked the heavy feeling of the car, but that is really heavy. I'm all for it.

So far the car drives great. Except for some shuddering at low rpm, eg when on and stationary at a light etc.

QUESTION : Is everyone out there waiting for 10K miles for their first fuel change ? It just seems wrong to go for so long w/o an oil change, especially the first one.

I remember reading that in a new car, there can be a lot of metal shavings that accumulate in the oil and that the oil should be changed sooner, than later.
  • Hey Bertram60,
    Thanks for the info. I see where they go, but on my vehicle there does not seem to any brackets for the H3 bulbs to be placed and clipped in. All I see is a hole to the inside of the head lamp. Do I need the mirror to see the bulb brackets? I have installed H3's before and there has always been a metal hold down bracket.
  • There should be a clip attached to the back of the lens. You will definitely need a mechanics mirror in order to see it. Make sure the bulb is fully seated and that the covers are on 100% or you'll get water inside the lens.
  • After test driving, with my wife, several SUVs two or more times to include: the Acura MDX , BMW X5 , and the Lexus RX 300; I've purchased the 2003 Mercedes-Benz ML500. I was somewhat worried about purchasing the Mercedes based on some test drive articles I read. What speaks best about the car is that my wife, a 5 foot 3, 125 lb woman, after test driving diffent ML's a total of 5 times was in love with it. She felt it drove just as well as any of the others, with greater power output. Also thanks to the Edmunds articles at http://www.edmunds.com/advice/ I was able to obtain a 2003 at an outstanding price.
  • reevareeva Posts: 1
    We just purchased an 03 M320 (M1 and M5)for $37K. Please help me put my worries to rest...did I do ok with negotiating?

Feedback appreciated,

Reeva
    Virginia
  • today is 11/18-2002 and I am a happy owner since two days ago of a brand new2003 ml320. I am a modest guy and this is my very first experience with a car of this stature. Although I always have brand new cars including my trade in, a 2001 nissan pathfinder , I would say this. The handling ,the ride, the strong feeling is outstanding. So far my best car ever. 37k including almost everything. thanks.
  • wep2wep2 Posts: 6
    technog:
    The ML uses Mobil 1 synthetic oil, the best stuff around, also platinum plugs. Don't worry, if u really r concerned, call the svc dept at your dealer. As long as you followed the "break in" instructions, u r fine. Keep checking the oil. I've got 7700 mi on my 02 ML 320, due for svc in Feb (a year after I bought the car).
    wep2
  • janoojanoo Posts: 15
    Hey Guys,
    Just wanted to share with you that tomorrow, 11/23/02, I am going to pick up my new ML320 2003 model. Any advice would be deeply appreciate from those experienced owners. I am really psyched. I only hope that the 2003 model has shed itself of the problems from a year or 2 prior. Any comments
    thanks
    janoo
  • Hi Folks,
    I just purchased an '03 ML320 (M1 & M5). I have put on approx 200 Miles on it so far and am really enjoying the car. I've previously owned JGC and GMC Envoy. Have a couple of questions, but they're about options, I'll post them on that forum. These forums have been great, thanks for all the info & advice.
  • Today reached deal with not my local MB dealer, to remain a MB owner. Will pick up on Saturday a 2003 ML 320 from a dealer several hours away. M1, M5, Bose, heated seats, Xenon, and MB Trailer hitch. Looked at a lot of SUV's and decided I liked my 98 ML 320 enough to stay with it - stability when my wife drove over a prone deer on WY interstate, and safety when getting rear ended.
       My 98 ML320 got rear ended and pushed into car in front. After several weeks of rangling with other driver's insurance adjuster, and threat of legal action, they paid me the amount to which I was entitled under law - difference between retail book and price I received from a salvage dealer. So, getting rear ended was best way to sell my car at retail - but had to waste time I should not have had to and threaten suing, to get insurance adjuster to follow law.
    Interesting trade offers - $6500 repair estimate. $23,000 NADA retail.
    my local MB dealer offered me $8,500 after it was fixed. GMC offered me $11,000. Lexus offered me $13,000. I ended up selling to salvage yard for $10,000 'as is', and getting $13,000 plus use tax from insurance company for $24,000 total.
    mvhanson
  • I own a 2000 ML430. I am considering getting another remote (original ML but for another vehicle) from a friend. Does anyone know how to program/reprogram this remote? I have been told that this cannot be done since all remotes are 'hardcoded' at the (Same message - #53 of Accessories and Modifications.)
  • sfdougsfdoug Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 ML 320 Sport,Black Opal/Java Leather,M1,M5,M6,M7,heated seats,Bose Sys w/CD Changer. I purchased mine in Jan 2002, for $50,000 out the door. From reading everyone's postings about their purchasing experiences, I think that I may have over paid for mine, oh well...I Do Love It! :-)

I have also purchased an extended warranty, outside of Mercedes. A 10 year/1000,000 mile warranty w/ $0 deductible for $1,994.00 from 1Sourceautowarranty.com has anyone had or heard of any, good/bad experiences with this company?

So far my ML has been trouble free from any problems, The only out of pocket expense has been replacing the front brake pads @ 12826 miles, for $630.28 by the dealer, Ouch!

I would like to Thank Everyone! for their participation, KarenS for Facilitating & Edmunds.com for creating & maintaining this very valuable resource.

Please feel free to send me your opinions about my earlier comments & questions.
  • whupwhupwhupwhup Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I just bought my wife a ML350, we pick it up Saturday. Black/black, bose/cd, heated seats, and the Inspiration Package. Traded up from her Subaru Forester, we're excited about it - and will enjoy being part of this forum.

regards,
    whup