Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• solara01solara01 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2013 Avalon Limited with Tech Pack, Floor Mats, Cargo Net, and Mud Flaps. Sticker is $42,500. I paid $38,900. Like anything it is a preference of taste. The Avalon doesn't compete with the Volvo S60 and I have not been in one to compare but I am familiar with Volvo products and you can't go wrong.

I think the reason the Avalon won out was because of resale value. My loaded 2001 Solara that I paid $20,000 for is still worth $7,000. I am a Tech guy, it took me almost a week to go through all of the features in this car. That is part of the issue when buying a new car. You can not tell how user friendly the electronics are from a test drive. The Avalon is almost all touch sensitive buttons. They are well laid out and responsive. There is nothing cheap in this car. You can feel and touch the quality through out. This is why it is rated better than their sister Lexus ES series.

I will now address the seats and ride. I also thought that the seats needed a bit more cushy in the tushy. I went on a 300 mile road trip and I was very comfortable. I am 6' and 250lbs. so I think I am a good judge and I no longer have a complaint. The ride, handling and acceleration is very good.
    Even with a full load this car moves. It is no longer a floating sofa and therefor you have to trade something for that performance. It handles pot holes very well but under some road conditions it can be a bit harsh.

In most cases the new car experience wears off. Not here! I look forward to getting into this car everyday!
  • poorthingflintpoorthingflint Member Posts: 61
    I was in the automobile business years ago when radial tires first started showing up on automobiles. Cars which were designed for radials rode and handled very well compared to the bias ply tires how ever if radials were used on cars whose suspensions were not "tuned" for there use were,to be kind a disapointment. My point here if up want the best performence in ride and handling you suspension and tires must be carefully matched to each other. It is obvious Toyota has failed in this area as you have so carefully documented. I experienced this first hand in my last Lexus a GS300. The car I drove had Michelins and the car I bought had Bridgestones. The difference was so startling I returned the car before I got 20 miles on it thinking something was terribly wrong with the it. Had tires swapped for Michlens and the difference was incredible. I bought a Touring model and made sure it had Michelins on it and think the car has a reasonable compromise between handling and overall ride quality. Thanks for you leg work and input reminding me of my previous experience and giving potential customers a heads up on this matter.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Glad you're happy with your 2013 Avalon. This is the first time since the early 90's that I don't have a Toyota in my garage - 1 Camry and 2 Avys during that time. I think I was just ready to try something totally new before someone has to do all of my driving for me!! Hopefully, that's a few more new cars away.
  • havechavec Member Posts: 45
    The 2013 Avalon Limited Consumer Reports review finally came out to day. They rated the V6 limited at 85 and the hybrid at 86. For the record they rated the Camry hybrid at 93. The most damming statement was "Most $25,000 midsized sedans ride better". They were the first to say that the 18 inch wheels had a worse ride than the 17 inch even though they gave the same "open circle" good rating for the ride in both the 18 inch wheel V6 and the 17 inch wheel hybrid. Go figure.

I'm a little mad at CR because I asked them just before I purchased my limited hybrid if they were going to test the Avalon and they emailed me back that they were not planning on testing the Avalon. The next day after I made the purchase the first drive report came out saying that they had purchased a limited hybrid and a V6 for testing.

The 2011 Avalon that they last tested had the same score of 85 and their major complaint was the handling.

You have to subscribe on line to see the article.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• adler223adler223 Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased an avalon limited hybrid and ended up buying the prepaid maintneance plan for 1760. Concerned that I made a mistake buying this. What do you think. It would cover year 3-5. Thanks.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Am sorry to say that you got taken. You could have purchased the exact same Toyota plan online from a dealer in Kansas for about half that much. It's been discussed here numerous times. I purchased a 6 year 75,000 mile extended warranty for my 2011 Avalon for only $450.00.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Scroll or search back thru this board for info on Extended Warranty. Prior post is correct, there are many dealers who sell this warranty under 1k. You can buy from any Toyota dealer, do not buy "outlaw" warranty coverage from a non-dealer. Glad you asked, this board has has saved people thousands on this product.... enjoy your savings...
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    you got hosed
    Do you happen to know the name of the person you got the warranty from. Not too latre for me to cancel.
    Here is email I received:

This is Jerry Johnson Warranty Manager with Midwest Toyota

And Midwest Superstore Hutchinson, Ks

Thank you very much for your request on the Toyota Factory Extra Care Platinum Zero Deductible Warranty

I would love to help you with your warranty purchase. I will need your Vin Number, Miles and Date of Purchase

And I will need Your Name and Address, Phone, Email

Please give me a call at 800-530-5789 or my cell 620-664-8844

This warranty is 100 Percent Toyota Factory warranty from Toyota and honored by all Toyota Dealer service centers California, Florida and all the USA and Canada I do NOT offer any 3rd party or aftermarket at all

There is no Tax or Fees for out of the state of Kansas

Here is the link for the warranty info

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_newV- ehicleComparisonChartPage

Here is the Price List for your 2013 Avalon

Please tell your friend thank you for recommending me

T4-TOYOTA AVALON, HYBRID AVALON,

4 YEAR 100,000 MILES $569.00,

4 YEAR 125,000 MILES $719.00

5 YEAR 60,000 MILES $449.00

5 YEAR 80,000 MILES $499.00,

5 YEAR 100,000 MILES $679.00

5 YEAR 125,000 MILES $874.00

6 YEAR 75,000 MILES $549.00,

6 YEAR 100,000 MILES $834.00,

6 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,129.00

7 YEARS 75,000 MILES $654.00,

7 YEAR 100,000 MILES $999.00

7 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,294.00

8 YEARS 75,000 MILES $769.00

8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $1,149.00

8 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,589.00

This warranty is directly from Toyota and any warranty work will need to be done at your Toyota dealer or any Toyota dealer in your state or any state in the USA or Canada

Please feel free to give me a call I would be happy to go over the warranty with you.

Thank you so much

Jerry Johnson

Jerry Johnson

Warranty Manager

Midwest Toyota

Midwest Ford

Midwest Superstore

1100 east 30th

Hutchinson, Ks 67502

800-530-5789

Cell 620-664-8844

[email protected]
    I'm going to guess that if you take this info in to the dealer you bought from and tell him you want to cancel he will match the price and refund the difference. At least he will if he has any brains and wants a happy customer.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Well...I'm confused. People are responding as if you bought the Extended Warranty and you said prepaid maintenance plan. Either way, you got juked. I agree with the others that there are great alternatives out there for the Extended Warranty and at the lower pricing, it might not be a bad idea for some; however, looking at the maintenance requirements on the hybrid (10K oil changes, low chance of needing brake pads, etc due to the e-braking/charging system doing most of the stopping for you, extended needs for changing any fluids in the eCVT transmission, I'd say if you actually got the prepaid maintenance, CANCEL IT immediately, then use 1/3 of what you get back to get one of these excellently priced extended warranties, and put the rest in an account, which will probably more than pay for any maintenance you might need over the next 5 years (except maybe for a set of tires...).
    Just cancelled the dealers plan. Got quotes from jerry. Around 600 for the 5 year 5500 maintenance plan. And around 1100 for the 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. does this sound good? The finance guy lied and said I could only purchase this stuff at the time I buy the car. Unbelievable!
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't anybody here subscribe to Consumer Report online? At any rate, there are many more posts for the Avalon Owners Review on their site than for any other 2013 Toyota . The over all consensus of the owner's there on the ride is better than what CR has to say. I think that CR is mainly responding to the much firmer ride of the 2013 than previous Avalons. CR really liked the pillow soft ride of previous versions and hated to see it go.

BTW the tires on my Limited Hydrid came over inflated from the dealer by 5 lbs. Dropping the pressure down to 32 psi has helped with over feeling the road.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Correct, and I (and many others) miss the softer / cushier ride of earlier models as well.

Skip
    They liked the handling a lot better on the 2013 than the 2011 so that is why it came out as a wash in the final score. The 2011's emergency handling was rated half dark circle poor and the routine handling as good. I don't know how much more cushy the 2013 Lexus ES's ride is. They rate the Camry's ride as being better but people on this forum think the Avalon rides better. Who know's what the answer is. I'm pretty happy with all the upsides.
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    I traded an 08 for a 12 Avalon and immediately noticed a difference in handling but I prefer the way the 12 feels and corners. Yes, it's a little stiffer than the 08 and from what I gather perhaps a little better than the 13 model, but I had grown a little tired of the soft feel of the 08.
    edited May 2013
    Sure hope you checked your tire pressure as all these cars seem to come from the factory with 39-40lbs of air in them. Most of the dealers don't bother to check tire pressure. Any car will ride like a hay wagon with 6-7lbs of extra air in their tires! I know mine were over inflated and the difference of 33lbs of air and 39-40 lbs of air was startling. Big improvement!
  • trespinosranchtrespinosranch Member Posts: 27
    Yes, tires were at 33 psi when I checked them after day one.

I recently dropped it down to 31 psi, and that made a difference...maybe 20% better.
    I guess they like to over inflate the tires at the factory for some odd reason. Yes, 31-32 psi is a lot better. Most of the time I think the ride is pretty sweet. Then I go over a weird road piece of and have second thoughts.

The Camry hybrid has the exact same tires as the Avalon hybrid and is rated step higher in ride and routine handling by Consumer Reports. The noise rating is the same. What's up with that? The Avalon does get an extra step higher rating in seat comfort though.
  • rjohansonrjohanson Member Posts: 5
    I've had my 2013 Avalon Limited Hyrbid for two-plus months and after 1,800 miles I love it. Only complaint - the base on the JBL sound system booms so much that I've had to turn it to the lowest base setting, and even then it sometimes booms too much. Almost impossible to listen to classical music unless the base is essentially turned off. Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, has anyone done anything to make the base more normal? Otherwise, the car is magnificent. Mileage so far 44.2 mpg. More technology than I'll ever use but what I do use I like a great deal. The capacitive switches take some getting used to - have to keep your hand well above them when you're working on the screen or you'll trigger one by mistake. I suspect that Toyota will work to improve these on the next iteration. Any comments or suggestions about my booming base issue would be gratefully received.
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    Cannot comment on the 2013 JBL system but I had a 08 Avalon with JBL and also set the bass very close to minimum. When I purchased my 2012, I decided to forgo JBL.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    My 2003 also has JBL. I was turning the bass almost to zero. Then in 2010 the woofer became faulty; I disconnected it, and now I can tolerate the bass.
  • rshockeyrshockey Member Posts: 1
    Try turning off Surround Sound. I did and find that all works much better with things sounding more like I would expect.
  • dwcdwc Member Posts: 6
    I recently noticed a strange feeling in the Avalon when going up a slight incline between 40 and 45 mph. It almost feels like a tire is out of balance. Took it to a Toyota dealer to get it checked out. The service manager drove it and felt the same sensation. He contacted Toyota and requested a case #. Toyota asked him to drive a 2013 Avalon Hybrid off the dealer's lot to see if he could duplicate the same problem. The one off the lot had exactly the same problem.

Toyota says they are aware of this and call it G-force Instability.

Any other Hybrid owners having this problem?
    Interesting. I tried to replicate what you wrote about with no luck....

Is this just an issue with the Avalon Hybrid Limited, or is it all TAH's, or all '13 Avalon's, period?
  • dwcdwc Member Posts: 6
    The service manager says that it is just a hybrid issue.

I asked if it was also an issue on the Camry hybrid. He said that it was not.

Thanks for your response.
  • epoche1epoche1 Member Posts: 1
    Cannot use Mac for StartUp image. Must use Windows OS.
    Just a note to any new Avalon buyers that Jerry Johnson at Midwest Superstore is the real deal. Great pricing and excellent service. Highly recommend that you check him out if you are looking for an extended warranty at a fair price. Super friendly, too.....but isn't that what you'd expect from someone from Kansas!!!
    I filled out the JD Powers questionnaire:

My final comment was: The 2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited is a nice vehicle that probably isn't worth the extra cost over a fully loaded Camry Hybrid.

I made the statement more on what I've read post purchase than actual test drives. I drove the Camry Hybrid a few months before the Avalon. I wasn't impressed enough at the time to buy the Camry but the Avalon roped me in after driving it. If I had it to do over again I would have driven the 2 cars back to back on the same day.

Anybody here drive both cars on the same day before buying their Avalon?
    havec,

We did. Actually drove a Prius V, then a Prius Model Five, then on to the Camry Hybrid and the Avalon Hybrid. Camry XLE loaded was nice; however, IMHO, did not come close to the Avalon Hybrid. Avalon just seemed much nicer, more room, and rode better and quieter.

We, however, decided not to go with the Limited, as we felt that the Touring gave us everything we needed, saved us thousands over the Limited (most of which had the tech packages, which we felt was unnecessary for us), and was not truly that much more than the XLE Camry Hybrid while EPA mileage was essentially the same while providing (again, IMHO) more luxury and room. My wife felt that the Camry, even in loaded XLE form, was not as upscale at all in terms of the leather, finish etc. versus the TAH in touring form (and of course, the TAH in Limited form, too). The bells and whistles added onto the Limited for the extra thousands were not worth it for us (again, especially those loaded with the tech package). For me, the only things I would have liked to have from the Limited were the ventilated seats, outside photo-chromatic mirrors, and the nicer NAV unit with the larger screen. Again, at least for us, not worth the extra thousands, but that is personal preference. We certainly could have afforded the Limited, just chose not to go in that direction.

I think, overall, you will be pleased long-term that you went with the TAH versus the TCH. Your mileage should be equivalent, power was pretty much identical (Tech at dealership said they tweaked the TAH system more than the TCH) and you will be more comfortable while doing it.

HTH...JMHO :)
    So score one for the Avalon Hybrid having a better ride than the Camry Hybrid.

For what it's worth, CR rated the regular Prius's ride the same as the Avalon's and rated the Prius V and the Camry as having a better ride than the Avalon.

I'm beginning to think that there could be some issues with CR's ride rating system.
    havec,

I'm not extremely picky; however, my wife can be. We both drove all of the cars mentioned, and not just around the block (we are lucky to know the Fleet Manager and he lets us take the vehicles out for extended periods on long loops...). Driving the cars back to back on the same long loop, there is no way that the Prius V and Camry had a better ride than the Avalon. Not only that, but the standard Prius was much more jumpy and skitterier (???) than all of them; however we would rate them Prius last, Prius V next, Camry, then Avalon. Our friend told us to drive the TAH after the Prii; however, it was due to CR's recommendation of the TCH that we had to try that car out ('cause if it was THAT good, why not). Again, in both of our opinions, driving back to back on the exact same route, we both figured that CR had just missed the bullseye on this one. I know its a personal thing; however, I have to agree with you that there might be an issue with CR and their ride rating system....maybe they pay too much attention to comparing the previous model to the current model rather than objectively test it outright? I can say that having owned a previous model of the Avalon, it was a nice car but way too cushy and floaty.
    Also, I have read that the 18s on the gas Limited run a little rough; however, all of the hybrids run on the 17s...maybe they just transferred their opinion in this case, as we did drive the gas Avalon and liked the Hybrid better....

We traded that '11 Avalon Limited in for this TAH Touring and we just feel much safer and secure in the '13 than we ever did in the '11 (not that we ever felt unsafe in the '11). We've made two long trips so far in the TAH, trips that we've made several times over the last few years. Even from the passenger seat, my wife comments on how much nicer she feels the ride is during portions of the rides that might be considered 'memorable' for their uniqueness and challenges.

We are certainly enjoying our car (except for the challenges posed by the iPhone 5 and entune!), and hope you enjoy yours.

Cheers,

Robert
    Your reply makes me feel better about my decision. You and CR are on the same page about feeling safer in the 2013 TAH than in the 2011 TA. CR rated the 2011's emergency handling has being 1/2 black circle poor. So Toyota fixes the handling problem and gets attacked on the ride. I think CR's statement "that most $25K sedans ride better" is a little too damming. The overall rating of 86 is still high compared to most of the vehicles that they test.

I got an iphone 5 to try entune which turned out to be pretty worthless. The window 7 phone that it replaced would read out text messages something the iphone won't do.

There aren't to many cars out there as future proof in terms of gas mileage and as comfortable as the TAH.

Hope you enjoy yours too.

Best

Chris
    edited May 2013
    edited May 2013
    I just read an owners review on CR's website where a Camry Hybrid owner said that his car rode like sh*t with the factory installed Bridgestone Turanza EL400, size P215/55R17 tires. He put on top of the line Michelin's after 500 miles and reported "HUGE improvement"

In the 19th (most by far of any 2013 Toyota) CR owner's Avalon review an owner said he had the 18 inch wheels switched out by Toyota to 17 inch with little or no improvement.

I wonder if the 17's had the Bridgestones. Why would Toyota be so stupid to run these tires? Usually they run soft riding tires that don't last out of the factory. Maybe they are more concerened about fuel economy than ride.
    Sold my loaded 2009 Camry Hybrid and bought a 2013 Avalon Touring sedan. Ride softness,the Camry has the edge(both cars riding on Michelin's). Seats softer on the Camry personal taste some people like a soft bed some like firm. Avalon quiter and better fit and finish. Avalon has more room especialy in back seat. Over all handling is noticeably better on the Avalon. Would I make the same buying decision again? Yep.
  • malcolm9malcolm9 Member Posts: 6
    CR kind of panned the avalon for the ride. I was thinking of buying one either hybrid limited or v6 limited.

Can anybody advise on the following:

1. Is consumer reports telling the truth about the ride? - It's hard to test drive on rough road and I would value somebody's opinion who's got some miles under their belt.

2. How noisy is the 4 cylinder on the highway if it's a hybrid?
  • malcolm9malcolm9 Member Posts: 6
    This may be heresy to a classical music listener but I assume you're not driving around with a record player and have gone digital. :)

Have you considered altering your playback settings if you're using an ipod type device. I know my ipod (classic) offers various equalizer settings and you can possibly fix your problem on the input side using these.

You might have to use an auxillary jack for this as your USB input will just try and read the file and would ignore any ipod equalizer settings.
    edited May 2013
    Yep, CR is correct. In fact I think they were too generous in their comments about the ride. I would grade the ride as an "F". Everything else about the car gets an "A".

The ride is so rough every couple of hundred miles I have to close the sun roof shade. It gradually opens on its own from all the jostling.
  • dkid1dkid1 Member Posts: 2
    I came from a Lexus CT200h an I think the ride is very good.
    The hybrid 4 cylinder is smooth, powerful and very quiet at all times. I hear no engine noise at highway speed.
    edited May 2013
    I've had my Avalon Limited Hybrid for going on 3 months now. The ride only deteriorates on some types of rough road and has gotten significantly better with 31 psi in the tires as opposed to way above the recommended 33 psi when I took possession of the car. The Camry Hybrid rides on the same wheels and tires as the Avalon and somehow get's rated by CR as having a better ride. I think CR, as others have said, is reacting to the some what radical departure from the older Avalon's couch on wheels ride. The new Avalon at least doesn't get rated as poor by CR in emergency handling as did the earlier car they tested. There has also been quite a bit said on how lousy the stock Bridgestone tires are and how the ride improves with Michelin tires and I will find out after I put enough miles on to warrant changing tires. Maybe, if there isn't too much of a penalty in handling and other problems one could put on a set of 60 series tires for a softer ride and gain a 1/2 inch of road clearance something the car could use also?
    I own a Touring 3.5 V6 with 18" Michelin's. When properly inflated to 33psi cold the ride is firm and well controlled but does exhibit some harshness when impacting very large road patches and pot holes. It reminds me a little of my daughters last Volvo in this respect. Frankly,I think the ride is so quiet,smooth and controlled normally I think there is a surprise element that magnifies impacts effect. My last car was a 2009 loaded Camry Hybrid and frankly I do not miss it very much overall. The sounds and performance of a 4 cylinder engine is crude compared to the smooth,refined performance of a V-6. Being retired now I only drive 10-12,000 miles a year so this cars 25-26mpg mixed and 32-33MPG highway is fine for me. To be fair I am sure some improvements have been made to the Hybrid system but I suspect it is still is little crude overall compared to a V6 especially under full throttle passing maneuvers. Overall performance wise there no comparison. For the record I did drive the Avalon Touring Hybrid.
    Might I be so bold as to inquire do you actualy own a 2013 Avalon and if so which tire your car has? If you do not actualy own the car and just did a roadtest you might want to give the car another chance and be sure you check the tire air pressure as in the vast majority of time the tires will have 39-40lbs of air in them. If that was the case and the car also has Bridgestones on them "F" would be a reasonable grade. I drove my first Avalon in this configuration and to be kind it rode like a hay wagon. Read about the tire selections and over inflation problems and returned for a second roadtest with tire gauge in hand and selected a Touring model with Mitchlins and it drove like a different car as you can imagine. Bought the car. My only area I am not totaly satisfied with are the seats they are a little firm for long distance comfort for my old bottom but they do seem to be breaking in a little and we may reach a accord. If not that's what they make seat cushings for. Keep in mind I am 73yrs old and not the primary customer they are looking for.
    malcolm9:

1) Having owned an '11 Avalon, then drove the Camry Hybrid and Avalon Hybrid (and prius or two...) back to back on a very long loop that included 70+, rough and smooth roads, I cannot honestly see how they thought the Camry rides better. As discussed by me and others, I sincerely wonder if CR did not truly objectively evaluate the ride on the Avalon, or actually subscribed the ICE 18" ride to all Avalons (the TAH rides on 17s...). It is a MUCH tighter ride than the '12 and earlier models and you do feel a little more of the road; however, IMHO you feel much more in command and in control at limit in the '13 than I ever did in the '11 that we put 40k+ on. Neither my wife nor I felt that the Camry road better at all and, in actuality, felt it rode worse! It is certainly subjective, tho, and I would see if you could get one to drive on a long loop like we did before purchasing. Also, I noticed a difference between the Micks and the Stones, so I'd certainly go with the Michelin's if you can.

2) Not that noisy at all on the hybrid. Under EXTREME loads, you can tell it is working hard(er) as compared to the V6; however, nothing as to intrude at all. Remember that the electric motor kicks in to assist in these situations so the load on the ICE is not what it is on a similar sedan with just a conventional ICE...which I agree can get quite angry-noisy! Overall, the TAH is the quietest car I've been in.

Again, I'd encourage you to see if the dealer will give you a car for more than a brief test ride. Also, ask, as many dealer sales people know a road/route that might be exactly what you are looking for to test this....sometimes they won't offer unless you ask.

Good luck in your vehicle hunt!

Robert
    Yes, I own a 2013 Avalon Limited w/Tech Pkg. It does have the Brigestones and I have 4k miles on it. The first thing I did was check the tire pressure after noticing the terrible ride. They were at 33 psi, factory specs.

About a month ago I lowered them to 31 psi (and reset the tire pressure monitoring system). The ride improved somewhat...maybe 20% (and you know, I think my mileage increased by one mpg), but I'm still disappointed and will probably retire the car after 12 months.

I agree about the seats not being so comfy. I came out of a 2009 Lexus ES and I guess I was spoiled.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm beginning to think that there could be some issues with CR's ride rating system.

Ya think?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    1. Is consumer reports telling the truth about the ride? - It's hard to test drive on rough road and I would value somebody's opinion who's got some miles under their belt.

CR is telling the truth about HOW THEY FEEL. But that is their "opinion", not always the facts. Frankly, my experience is rarely the same as theirs. I don't hold their ratings, other than reliability, in much regard. Also, their ratings on quality and reliability are also often skewed because for example, they'll rate a new Cadillac with a Black Dot (much worse than average) because of the compliants they get - without regard to the fact that old people often drive them, and can't get comfortable with the telemetrics on the car, so they "complain" that they don't work. IMO, you shouldn't "rely" on CR for your decisions - it's just their opinions based on random, unscientific feedback from idiot (some of them) consumers.

2. How noisy is the 4 cylinder on the highway if it's a hybrid?

Miserable.
    edited May 2013
    It would seem that most people on this forum would not agree with CR's "opinion" that "most $25K sedans ride better".

Anybody know anything about switching to 215 60 series tires from the stock 55 series? Not so much for a little more road isolation but for the extra 0.4 inch of clearance. My tail pipe scraps a little going up my driveway and I have hit the front undercarriage on some dips coming out of parking lots and on steep downgrades.