Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    There will be three trim models offered in 2013:

Standard - basic Avalon with many standard features
    Limited - same as above with a Nav system added
    Largemouth Bass - the Limited with a different grille, this is the model we have seen on display.

Hope this helps everyone..... :)
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,183
    edited April 2012
    fin, what is the source of your information and what does the front grill look like for the standard and limited?
  • ushy66ushy66 Posts: 186
    Fin-

Didn't you see that new Avy trim option in the latest issue of Field and Stream?

Jake
  • The 2013 Toyota Avalon will be cheaper than the 2013 Lincoln MKS, have more features, get better mileage and probably be roomier. These cars should sell very well. I am hoping Toyota makes a hybrid powered version as well.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    The sound deadening Glass, The Smoother Ride, the Quieter Ride at Highway Speeds, are all reasons I've told my dealer to get one for me - PLEASE:)

- Better MPG than the Fiat 500 - or so they say

Now my first choice is / was the Dark Blue, but I'm kind'of liken that Cypress Pearl the more I look at it:). And who I'm I kidding, the Red is pretty nice too.

The grill isn't an issue at all from this angle.

- http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/avalon/img/color-selector/poster-cypress- -pearl.jpg

And I'd still love to see a very classy "A" for the grill and rear badges.

Skip
    edited April 2012
    I just noticed the Dark Blue color option, is no longer up on the Toyota web site:(

I also noticed a new video on the page. It shows the tray with an iPhone and you and raise the flap to see under it:)

Skip
    Damn I was hoping for something new by now. Damn this is worsts then waiting for the birth of your 10th child:)

Skip
    I was just on a trip and realized one thing I'd love to have on the GPS (that I don't think it has), and that it, the ability to say or enter "Take me to route "X". This way if you get off the beaten path and could get back on with greater ease.

Skip
  • yankeryanker Posts: 156
    We have a new 2012 Avalon delivered last week. It is a Limited with a GPS system which is an improvement on the 2010 we turned in Yesterday we tried to put a CD in the system with the button marked CD Where is the slot to put the CD in???? This is an issue because we like books on discs especially for long trips. Any suggestions The car came from Syracuse and so we never saw the window sticker to see if it has a cd player
    If it's like mine, push the button the say's CD, and it opens up to install 4 CD's.

Skip
  • mark268mark268 Posts: 6
    Has Toyota not revealed the powertrain specs 'cause they ain't decided yet?
    My local dealer said they haven't announced anything yet, because there are some changes to the model shown at the expo's?

Skip
    I've noticed that Toyota adds new items to explore on the 2013 Avalon web site:)

The most recent that I saw was the addition of the heater video.

Not sure if I'm liking Entune? I'm thinking I'll stick with a nice radio and sirius for now. Anyone else starting to question and worry about how much of our lives our phones are playing É scary [non-permissible content removed] folks

Skip
    Dear Mr. Lalemand,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your continued interest in the redesigned 2013 Avalon.

At this time, Toyota has not announced full details for this updated model and there is no timetable for a full reveal of the next-generation Avalon's colors and options. However, we can advise that first deliveries of the new Avalon are tentatively scheduled to begin in late November. The actual release date may vary depending on your location and on Toyota's production schedule.

Regarding press reviews of the new Avalon, Toyota typically holds ride and drive events for the media in the months directly prior to a new model launch. It would be reasonable to begin expecting reports to come out in or around November. Again, we apologize that no specific dates have been made public at this time.

We are certainly glad to hear of your enthusiasm for the redesigned Avalon, and we at Toyota headquarters are very excited about this new model as well. We hope that it will surpass your expectations in every way when it arrives this Fall. If you have not done so already, we recommend subscribing to receive email notifications from Toyota when additional information becomes available using the form at http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/avalon/receive-updates.html.

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I loved my 03 and 06 Avalons and was highly looking forward to this new generation, however, with that awful front I'd have to strike it off my list. It completely ruins an otherwise really nice looking car.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

To each his own. For my the grill (which may be a bit different on the final version) is growing on me enough to purchase one. I figure, I can't see the grill while I'm driving, and if the others features and upgrades are half as good as they say they are / will be, I'm going for it!

Skip
    Anyone else catch the lack of a reclining level on the back seats?

- http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/04/2013-toyota-avalon-photo-gallery.html-

***And also that Car & Driver is expecting the Avalon to have a bigger engine (293? option) to compete with the Hyundai.

Skip
    edited June 2012
    Boy the more I look at the steering wheel, the more I like the 2012 version.

In my opinion the 2012 looks much more high end. This one, looks Mazda 626 or a bit sporty for a luxury car.

I'm sure that's the hard part about designing cars. trying to make it appeal to young and old alike.

But if it's suppose to be a luxury car, make it a luxury car and don't worry about the age of the buyer.

It IS a very nice cross between the ages, and should work fine, I'd just like to see it retain it's luxury feel and look.

- Keep the nice steering wheel
    - KEEP the reclining rear seats
    - Offer it in shades of tan / brown interior

Hard to know what else I'd like to see or see changed until it comes out and I drive it for a few months. Which is why the next model may be a bit different.

My guess is the LS 460 (or whatever the next model will be called), won't have a steering wheel like this.

Skip
    edited June 2012
    The latest article from CNet shows a hybrid is coming for the Avalon and also has a nice picture of the 2013. Yes, the grille is as we have seen it, like it or not. The 2013 Avalon is only 2 inches longer than a Camry and 100 pounds heavier. Much too similar, this is not a good sign even though the Avalon will probably have a softer ride for us "older" drivers... :)
    Here's a link:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57460257-48/2013-toyota-avalon-gets-the-cam- rys-v-6-hybrid-engines/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Gentlemen, I believe the Avalon as we know and love it is gone. RIP :cry:

It just gets worse with every new picture, etc

What is Toyota thinking?

Oh and the article is wrong. The 3.5 268HP V6 is NOT direct injected. The 300HP version in the Lexus IS and GS is DI.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

:( You're right. Not sure if there is going to be enough difference to really spend the extra bucks for this over a Camry?

Some days I like it and some days I don't.

color will make a big difference for me, but not as big as:

- Ride
    - Comfort
    - Quietness
    - Over-all feel when driving

Boy I'm sure my local dealer isn't going to be happy if I get my deposit back and go and buy a used LS 460 L

Skip
    edited June 2012
    Yep. Looks like Toyota may be staying with the unpopular grill design. Additional 2013 Hybrid Avalon info posted here at Autoblog.com:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/26/toyota-avalon-gets-40-mpg-hybrid-model-for-20- 13/.

If you go there, click on press release.

Since the main difference between the Camry Hybrid (TCH) and the Avalon Hybrid (TAH) will be the slightly larger Avalon, it will be interesting to see what the pricing differential will be. If the price differential for the TAH vs non-hybrid Avalon is large (like the price disparity between the fully loaded non-hybrid Highlander LTD and the hybrid Highlander LTD, ~$7-9K), the choice will be easy--->TCH will get most of the sales, or the non-hybrid Avalon will be the big choice, in spite of the unattractive front-end design.

Jake
  • p0tatoep0tatoe Posts: 8
    Thanks for telling us to click on press release! Unless I missed it, even the press releas doesn't say wat the hybrid's transmission is. A quick look at Edmunds sys the 2012 Camry hybrid has a CVT. I've never owned a CVT, and Im not sure I want to.

Also, Edmunds says the
    2012 Camry XLE V/6 starts at $30,115
    2012 Camry XLE Hybrid starts at $27,500

So, does that tell us the Avalon hybrid will cost less than the V/6? Several thousand less?! Then yes, I agree, hybrids will sell more.

I like the looks of the new Avalon, grille and all. But, if they're making it smaller and trying to be sportier with it, then it becomes more like every other car. For the money, I'd rather have a Lexus ES, etc.
    About the CVT... my kid put 65k highway miles on a 2009 Nissan Altima 4 cyl w/CVT and it worked fine. Hard to get the feel of a CVT at first, it just keeps revving and nothing seems to happen but you get there just fine. And passing was not a problem so my kid bought another one, a 2012. Do not fear a Toyota CVT, they should be as good as Nissan...... :)
  • p0tatoep0tatoe Posts: 8
    Thanks and yes, it's probably just fear. CVT is an excellent idea, just feels weird.

Fiat says their 500 is EPA rated 30 city/ 38 hwy. The Avalon hybrid is supposed to be 40/39 right?

Looks like Toyota's going to deliver on the "better mileage than a Fiat 500" promise.
    To get a better idea on what the guts and performance of the 2013 Avalon hybrid will be (until a good review article does come out), we can check out the info/reviews already out there on the 2013 Lexus 300h and the 2012 Camry hybrid, both of which the hybrid Avalon is based, having identical or nearly identical hybrid drive trains. The following articles should further help in that regard:

1.) More info on 2013 hybrid Avalon from Automobile magazine:
    http://rumors.automobilemag.com/toyota-unveils-powertrains-for-2013-avalon-v-6-a- nd-hybrid-options-available-150073.html

2.) 2013 Lexus ES 300h Car and Driver review article:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-lexus-es300h-hybrid-first-drive-review

3.) And 2012 Camry hybrid Car and Driver review article:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-toyota-camry-hybrid-test-review

In my opinion, these three hybrids will all perform about the the same, but the advantages as I see them are as follows:
    1) Camry hybrid in XLE trim is a really nice car, and will be the least expensive of the three, and has a fairly decent front-end/grill design;
    2) Avalon hybrid will be a little more roomy and comfortable than Camry, but will cost a couple grand more, but will have the most generous room in the rear seat compared to the other two;
    3) ES 300h will be most plush, and has a better grill design than the Avalon (unless Toyota surprises us and changes it for the final version; let's hope, but not hold our breath), but will cost a few grand more than the Avalon.

What do you all think?

Jake
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,183
    The newly introduced 2012 Australian version of the Toyota Avalon is called the Aurion. http://www.toyota.com.au/aurion.

If only Toyota would use that grill on the Avalon it would have a perfect car with the looks of a supermodel. Perhaps if we write to Toyota and suggest the Aurion grill they might listen. So start writing.
    I for one, won't be (likely) getting this version.

1) You have to drive better / different / more carefully to get high mileage
    2) It will cost more then you might recoup in a reasonable time period
    3) The cost in general
    4) Repair cost(s) down the road (although I trade ever year or so, so it won't likely concern me)
    5) - Add on here your thoughts

I'd like to see the web site show the color options for both interior and exterior (I want to pick out my color combo:))

Skip