Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Hi Lucky,

I actually notice the distortion through the rear back glass (through rearview mirror) when the sun shade is not in use). Check it out!
  • Hi Skip,

A few weeks ago after eating lunch I got in my Avalon and noticed the sun shade was up (which I did not do) and I thought I had a problem. After reading your post of the shade activating automatically, I check the manual and it makes no mention of that. But I will assume you are correct, as mine did exactly that.
  • You can raise and lower the sunshade with a switch. You can partially raise it as well, just like a power window.
  • I love the car but my wife is having a hard time with how low the passenger seat sits. That side does not have the power up and down on that side. Is there a way to adjust it?
  • In my '13 Avalon Limited I can not partially raise the sun shade. When you press the button the shade goes up. If you press the button when it is going up, it goes back down.

And I can't see myself driving with the shade partially up anyway. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
  • The seats are gray, everything else is black. Exterior is silver.
  • robnichrobnich Posts: 13
    edited February 2013
    I interpret this to mean you should not put more than one CD or DVD in, period. I don't think it is a CD changer and I wouldn't recommend trying to put more than one in.

>> The notice on the player says to only insert one disc at a time, so I assume you can put more than one in there, but have not tried it yet.<<
  • You are right Rob. I interpreted it to mean not to try and put two discs in (one on top of the other) at the same time.

But, I just checked and it will only hold one CD.
  • After it was pointed out, I do notice a bit of distortion in the rear window glass. Based on other vehicles that have the rear window defrosters build in, I believe this if normal. I only glance from the rear view mirror to check traffic, so I've never really paid any attention to distortion. I believe it is normal in the rear glass.
  • CR just released its initial review (full review to come later), and praises the interior of the '13 Avalon Limited as being Lexus like, but describes the ride as choppy & abrupt. I couldn't agree more.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Be careful of what you say, how often you say it, and to whom:)

Many of the folks who visit this forum, said they have had enough with the FEW folks who think it rides hard, choppy, More Sporty É the few?

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/311-4th-generation-2013/464089-thing-rides-wor- se-than-horse-carriage.html

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/311-4th-generation-2013/450889-unhappy-buyers-- starting-show-up.html

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Ride is subjective. I had an early production 09 Genesis sedan V6 and when I bought it I thought I could live with the sporty ride. After I had it a while I realized that IMO it just frankly rode like crap. I certainly wasn't the only one, but quickly got run off of the Genesis forum and people here even thought I "wrong". I got rid of the car for something else, and sucked up my mistake.

I hear people on here say how "floaty" such and such a car is, or how "it's all over the road" and I've driven the same cars and think completely different.

I am surprised at the direction Toyota went with the Avalon. All previous generations rode beautifully and isolated from the outside. I guess that type of ride isn't appealing to the masses any longer.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    I test drove an Avalon Limited this weekend and also a Hyundai Azera with Tech Package. I think the Azera rode better than the Avalon but not by much. Seats in Azera were more comfortable. Biggest problem with the Azera is the windshield rake is about 35¼ while the Avalon is about 50¼. Also the Avalon sits more 'chair' like while the Azera has your butt closer to the floor. Finally, the Azera is about $4000 cheaper and equipped about the same.

It's going to be a tough decision on which to buy but may just keep my 2011 Avalon Limited with only 13900 miles.
    I couldn't agree more, which is why I traded my 2013 in on a 2012 Avalon.

Skip
    Please do what I SHOULD have done, which is keep my 2011 Avalon.

I purchased a 2013, and after only 2300 miles on it, I traded it in on a 2012 Avalon, and have never (well not much) looked back.

YES the Tech package on the 2013 was awesome
    YES the wipers were a lot quieter (I drive 35,000 miles a year, and when it rains, I do not like the squeaky wipers of earlier Avalons)

But I did not like:

- the road noise
    - the ride
    - the seats
    - the smaller trunk opening
    - the spare tire
    - the smaller back seat
    - the lack of the reclining back seats (yes I have a lot of passengers on long trips)
    - the smaller front door pockets

You get the picture.

Skip
    we got 25.3" in that storm, 6" in the next, 10.5" in the next and are looking at 12-18" in the next few days.

Damn, I'm going to be ready for a road trip to FL REAL soon at this rate.

Skip
    edited February 2013
    Count your blessing, I and many others feel the 2013 Avalon sound system sucks compared to the 2011, or 2012 Avalons. Ok, maybe it doesn't suck, it's just not as good as the earlier models.

Heck, some others say the Toyota Sound Systems suck compared to other makes of car, so I guess it too, is somewhat subjected.

Skip

2008 - Touring Avalon, Black on Black
    2011 - LTD Avalon - Crimson Mica Red on Almond
    2013 - LTD Avalon - Cypress Green on Almond
    2012 - LTD Avalon Cypress Green on Almond
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I had no issue with the JBL on my 06 Avalon. It was on par with other "premium" systems from other manufacturers.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• We are a 2 Avalon couple now. My wife has a '13 Limited V6, and I, a '13 Ltd. Hybrid.
    As a prior owner of a 1996 and a 2005 Avalon Ltd., the reason we got rid of those 2 cars was due to the "old folks" ride being so floaty and mushy handling. (not to mention we sell our cars every 2 +/- years). Don't get me wrong, the Avalon's were great cars, but as we aged a bit, got the kids out, we grew to prefer a car that was a bit more connected to the road, and the driver. The previous Avalon's were not. After a Infinity G35x, Corvette Convertible, Miata, 3- BMW's, and a '12 Camry, the new Avalon was a fresh approach. A large car, plenty of room and comfort, and better ride and handling (For our tastes, that is).

The Ltd. with 18" wheels does ride a bit firmer than my Hybrid with 17" wheels. We found tire pressures at 40 PSI after delivery, and after adjusting to 35, the ride softened some. You do feel more of the road imperfections with this new suspension, but they both still have what we consider a compliant and comfortable ride. A HUGE improvement over prior models. I do prefer my Hybrid with 17" wheels over the better half's Ltd. with 18" wheels. The Hybrid is so quiet, composed, and gets 39 MPG real world fuel economy, if you drive it a bit conservative.

I feel for a couple people who say they purchased a '13, and did not like the ride as much. But cars of today are going to be tighter, less floaty, and handle better. That is what the vast majority of new car buyers are looking for. A few will not like this. Can't please everyone with one model. Maybe that is why there are so many car makers, and models? The new Avalon is not for them. Did you see where the sales of 2012 Avalon's were going? Toyota made the right decision on this new 2013 model, and the sales will double or triple this year.
  • keep the 2011