Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• havechavec Posts: 45
    It's painful to change your tires before your oil but I guess it has to be done.
  • teresa01teresa01 Posts: 14
    Oh my gosh.....that is so funny!. Honestly, it's sad but it was still funny. ;-)
    I took a look at the reviews of the EL-400's on Tire rack. If you haven't read those, you all should take a look. I also read the reviews on the Michelin Primacy MXM4's which I would have to go with if I keep my 18 wheels. (Not sure I want to be the first to test a 55 profile tire on those wheels...if someone else chooses to see if they fit, let me know. LOL.) watched the video too.

I will turn 3000 miles on my car tomorrow heading out to work. From the looks of the reviews, I might not have to wait too many months before I have to change them anyway. Doesn't seem they last too long.

Teresa
  • I would strongly suggest you check with a couple of reputable tire shops about going to 55' s. I was in the auto service and repair business most of my adult life and I am retired. looking things over it looks like a go to me. In passing my GPS says the speedo on my Car is about 2 mph slow at 70mph indicted. If that's the case the slightly larger cir conference of the 55's will probably make the speedo accurate or just a tad slow. That would extend the warranty a little as well as soften the ride a win win. It will however slow the response of steering inputs a little. Doubt the majority of us would notice it in fact we might prefer it if we did.
  • My wife has a Cognac 2000 XLS, 150K+ going on 14 years. She loves it (especially the dash and brown color). Anyway, she knows it's only a "matter of time" before something will require replacement and make her move to a new vehicle. She likes the new TAH.

Both of us think that the grill is gross, but is less noticeable on the cars with darker paint colors.

The grill is too wide, too tall and doesn't blend with elegant hood creases and body lines. In addition, the slit-like opening that joins the driver-side and passenger-side low 'fog' lights over accentuates the grill into a visual pout, making the Avalon look like a fish from the sides.

This grill and the Gawd-awful hour-glass whacky design on the late-model Lexus products, makes you wonder what Toyota is thinking.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    edited July 2013
    It's a trend, check out the Ford Fusion. Same thing. I hope it goes away sooner rather than later.

Oh, and to the other posters ..... EL400s are garbage, plain and simple!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• Lexus sales have skyrocketed since they've added the Spindle Grille, and that includes the big dog Lexus LS. :shades:

Don't hate. It doesn't look good on you. :blush:
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Posts: 52
    i have a 2012 es and im trading it for a 2010 LS. thats how much nicer the LS is,im trading a 2012 for a 2010 car.if i could of afforded a 2013 LS id have it already
  • At my dealer here in Texas 39-40psi seems to be the norm and my dealer seems to be delivering them that way. So much for new car prep. Toyota probably no long pays their dealers for this service so only the best dealers bother and my dealer obviously does not fall in that category.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 110
    Count me among those who very much dislike the grills on the current Avalon and Lexus. I had a 2005 Avy LTD, which was a great car. The current Avalon was on top of my list when I started shopping around for a new car. My heart sank when I saw the front of the current Avalon. I planned on cross shopping the ES until I saw that grill.

This stuff is so subjective. It's about what's right for you. I spite of what I just wrote, I think the grill on the Fusion looks very aggressive and adds to the sporty look of the car. Oh well - No accounting for taste!!
  • I agree with you the Avalons grill is a little over the top as is the Lexus. However in black it looks much better as the center of the grill is dark grey so the effect is muted. Interestly the same thing applies to the ES350/300 but to a lesser degree as far as my tastes are concerned. I looked at the Fusion and Lincoln MKZ but the black interior is the only choice in the Titanium model of the Fusion and the cramped back seat offered by the MKZ and small hard to see fussy controls overal turned me off. It the case of the Fusion being forced to accept a 4 cylinder turbo charges engine was the last straw. The history of small turbo charged 4 cylinder engines is spotty at best. Personally,having spent most of my adult life in the auto repair business and it would take a lot to change my feelings about this.
    10 points above the Avalon but the Avalon hybrid beats the 4 cylinder versions by quite a bit in mpg and power. Still, Toyota might want to see what they can learn about suspensions from Chevy.
  • Interesting. The Impala has been a mixed bag (but mostly good) with other testers but it obviously a good car. I drove it with the V6 and overall still like the Avalon better. Toyota has always been a little weak in the suspension tuning department. You would have thought by now they would have studied how the Germans do it and incorporated that knowledge into their designs. May be a little corporate pride and arrogance at work.Still think in the case of the 18" tired cars a change to a 55" aspect tire inflated to 31psi cold will be a satisfactory solution to ride harshness. I will probably go that route although with 31psi tire pressure and the Michlins I am pretty happy overall. The suspension is difiinately loosing up and getting softer as the miles go by so I may end up sticking with the same tire.
    I'll probably by switching out 17/215/55 93V for the same size Michelin MXV4 in the next 1000 or 2000 miles. I'm going to go with the H rated tires because they are rated higher than the MXV4 V rated in terms of ride, noise and rolling resistance. They 94H tires also weigh 25 pounds a piece while the 93V tires weigh in at 23 lbs. I guess the 2 pounds in extra material makes the difference.
  • Based on my experience that sounds like a well thought out and researched plan let us know how it terns out. Don't be afraid to play around with air pressure a little if it works for NASCAR it can work for you. I have done it thru the years with no problems matter of fact, based on what I have seen over inflation seems to cause more problems then small amounts of under inflation say 10% give or take. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
    edited July 2013
    I'm already at 31 psi all the way around. The car is fine on 90% of the roads that I drive on a daily basis. It's just a few pieces of road that I find myself thinking that it would be nice if I wasn't so aware of the road surface. Then again, I can thank CR for the hypersensitivity that I've developed to ride quality that I never had before. I bought my TAH for gas mileage over luxury.
  • The Ford grill is as ugly as the Avalon, but it's not as strikingly discordant as the Toyota's, because the Avalon grill has another skinny grill above it, presumably so the salesguys can upsell it as a big brother to the Camry (which is also a huge hodgepodge of design elements and totally unintegrated).

Lexus's grill is still the worst overall family design change for no apparent reason I've seen in quite some time in the car industry.
  • I could not agree more that the CR review has made many Avy owners and potential buyers hyper sensitive to every road impact when they drive the car. Frankly, if everyone drove their cars in this hyper sensitive/critical mode I think most cars could be fingered for ride harshness from time to time with few exceptions. I agree the Avy handles road conditions superbly over 90% over the time. Being objective sounds like a good overall ride comfort grade to me.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    I think the issue here (for me and others), is that the car no longer rides like the models that came before it, and that many of us have gotten use to.

We have come to expect (and with good reason), and comfortable car, after all, it's what Toyota has been providing for 10 years?

Yes, we may all have to get use to cars that are going to drive and ride different.

Not something I for one, I'm crazy about. For those with older, larger, more comfortable cars, it could be good? Your cars may have better resale value once folks realize - it's the only option left for a Big Old Boat of a car.

I for one, long for the days of Buick Roadmasters, Park Avenue É

Skip
  • Having owned a couple of 5 series BMW's followed by a couple of GS300's I am probably in a different place then many Avalon owners. I do not care for a "floaty Buick Roadmaster/Olds 98 LS" ride. The thought of it has me thinking of looking for some Dramamine. For me the ride characteristics with Michlins is close to what I prefer. Miles,a change of tire aspect ratio and or tire pressure could easily do it for me. I would also point out when a car is as quiet as the Avalon normal tire impact sounds are more easily heard amplifying the perceived ride harshness especially when you are listing to and for it.
  • My last two cars have been a 1994 Infiniti Q45 and a 2002 Q45 (which I bought used in 2007). As you might imagine I never would have considered an Avalon until I learned of the hybrid getting 40mpg, and with greatly improved handling. I was also impressed by the NY Times review

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/automobiles/autoreviews/straying-a-bit-beyond-- its-own-comfort-zone.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I have to say that I found the handling to be good to very good, and the ride to be very good. After all the comments, I was curious to see if bumps/rough roads caused any jarring. I found that not to be the case at all; and the tires were Bridgestones. I was also pleased by the acceleration. This all leads to my fundamental question: Why would anyone buy the all-gas model? I recognize it's a little faster, but the price difference is small, and the extra cost is recovered quickly, especially compared to cars where one might NEVER recover the higher price through gas savings. When you add in the fact that (from all that's said here) the 17" wheels give a better ride, it makes what I consider a compelling case for the TAH. Am I missing something, folks?

Limited vs Touring: Not being a fan of adaptive cruise control, and not needing cooled seats since I live in a temperate climate, the only significant advantage of the ltd. for me is the stereo. I did think it was quite a bit better (I was able to compare the same classical music on each). But, that just doesn't justify the price difference, imho.

The main thing i disliked about the car was the small windows/tight interior/reduced visability the car gives. And I wish the steering wheel telescoped out farther (I'm 6' 4" and would like to have the seat all the way back without driving with my arms fully extended).

I will drive the car again at some point, but at this point I think that at my next large repair for my Infiniti, it's back to Toyota for the reasons stated AND their better reliability.
  • x475awsx475aws Posts: 2
    seattlejon, I have to ask if you're not a fan of adaptive cruise control on principle, or if you've used it before. If the former, I also thought it was a bad idea for lots of reasons, but now it's my single favorite feature on my Avalon Hybrid Limited. If the latter, someone on another forum mentioned that this Avalon's adaptive cruise control, using radar, works a lot better than his previous Avalon's which used laser.
    I never used ACC before until I got my TAH and I haven't had used it much here in the SF Bay Area. But, if I lived in LA it would be default on.
  • I misspoke the speedo is about 2 miles per hour "FAST" not slow. The larger circumference of the '55 aspect tires VS the '45's would slow the speedo down and might end up making it more accurate if my GPS is correct.
  • Thanks for bringing this up, x475; if I'm being shortsighted about the benefits of the Limited I'd like to know it.
    I did have ACC on my 2002 Q45 (until it went out!) and I strongly disliked it. It felt as though the car would unnecessarily slam on the brakes at times. It seems pretty clear that the Avalon's system is MUCH more refined, but can you tell me what it is about ACC that you appreciate so much? (Even with a sophisticated adaptive system my daily commute wouldn't permit it's use, by the way.)
    Thanks.
  • x475awsx475aws Posts: 2
    I have a 230 mile, 4 hour trip on I-95 that I make regularly, as well as a 120 mile, 2.5 hour trip on secondary roads. Also other road trips of varying lengths, less often. The way the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control maintains following distance and keeps up with traffic, very smoothly with no overreaction even if someone cuts in front, still seems almost magical to me. It really makes those trips less tiring, and probably helps with gas mileage too. You can choose among three following-distance settings. I prefer the longest one, but the space it leaves in front of me is too long for busy interurban highways like I-95, so I use the middle setting there.

Don't forget the Pre Collision System that's also part of the tech package on the Limited. The owner's manual warns about circumstances that could cause false actuation of the PCS, and I was concerned about that. But in 4 months and 5000 miles of driving I haven't had one false trigger. It's nice to know it's there, and could save my bacon someday in case something happens too fast for me to react.
  • teresa01teresa01 Posts: 14
    Gentlemen:

Just found this article and thought you all might be interested.

http://www.kbb.com/toyotacentral/avalon/#/brvafullsize

Teresa
  • 105f2dc105f2dc Posts: 5
    Need input from someone with the Avalon Hybrid in a hot climate, how does the A/C do on a 90 degree day? We have a Camry V6 and the AC never disappoints. No problems with heating either (we usually average 40's in Winter). I asked this question in the Camry Hybrid forum and there were a couple who were not satisfied (actually they complained about the heat). Thanks for your help, seriously considering a Touring model but don't want to lose the comforts of the V6.
  • dwcdwc Posts: 6
    Got a 2013 Limited Hybrid in January and have had no problem with the AC handling the Texas heat this summer. It has been at a 100 degrees or more every day for the couple of weeks here in Austin.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Have a Ford Escape Hybrid and Camry Hybrid. They are both adequate, but no where near as cold or efficient as the ones where the compressors are driven by the engine. My Lexus and Ford Explorer will create a Meat Locker in the car in no time, even if 112 outside. Not so the others. But, again, adequate.