Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    CORRECTION - The Avalon nosed out the Azera, not the Maxima in the above mentioned Motortrend report. Sorry!!
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    In a previous test Motortrend compared the 2012 Azera, carried over to 2013 with no changes, to the 2013 Lexus ES and they gave the nod to the Azera.

I went and checked out a new Azera again yesterday. I'm more impressed each time I see it. The sticking point for me is the rake of the windshield. If that was a little less raked I'd have already bought one.
  • daveinvadaveinva Posts: 6
    Hi Again,

I just managed to do another test ride in a 2013 XLE Premium with the 17" wheels fitted with the Bridgestone EL400 tires (P215-55R17). I agree that I did not find much ride difference between that Avalon and my Touring model with the 18" wheels fitted with the Bridgestone EL400 tires (P225-45R18), particularly after adjusting the tire pressure on my 18 inchers to the recommended 33 PSI. Thus, I conclude that with the Bridgestone's on both the 18" and 17" Avalon wheels, there is not much improvement in the ride based just on the wheel size.

HOWEVER, as I indicated in my earlier post, I also test drove a 2013 XLE Premium with 17" wheels fitted with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires (P215-55R17). There is a world of difference in the ride between the Michelin's and the Bridgestones. The Michelins are much quieter at highway speeds, and they absorb the bumps and expansion joint vibrations very well. In fact, I also went out for a drive in my neighbors 2011 Avalon Limited (3rd generation suspension system) fitted with 17" wheels with the Bridgestone EL400's. I thought that the 2013 Avalon with the Michelins rode just as well as the 2011, with the bonus of improved handling due to the new suspension in the 4th generation model.

When my EL400's wear out, I'll put Michelin Primacy MXM4's on my 18" wheels. The Primacy MXV4's are not made in the 18" size, but the Primacy MXM4's (which are available in the P225-45R18 size) are pretty close in performance. Unfortunately, as I am now only driving around 6000 miles per year, even with the short life of the EL400's, I'm looking at 2-3 years before replacement (unless I decide to bite the bullet and switch them out sooner).

Be careful when looking at Michelin's though, as their tire naming scheme is a little confusing. The Primacy's are all-season touring tires, whereas the other product lines such as the Energy, Pilot and Defender are different designs with different ride characteristics, and probably will not soften the ride of the 2013 Avalon as much as the Primacy's.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks Dave, very insightful analysis. Apparently all Touring and Limited models come with the Bridgestone's which is unfortunate. I'd like something that rides similar to my 2011 Limited, not floaty but not as harsh as the new Avalon's I've test drove.

I wonder how the Michelin Primacy MXV4 would do on my 2011 with regard to quietness and ride.

How do you find the seats? My first and test drive impression is that they are very hard and not too comfortable.
    Douglas,

If you replace the Bridgestone EL400's on your '11 Avalon with Michelin Primacy MXV4's you should expect to see a better ride with respect to confort and noise. Funny, my neighbor also has a 2nd Avalon, a 2004 I think, and those came with Michelin MXV4 Primacys. I looked at his '11 with the EL400's with 20k miles on them, and theose tires are almost ready for replacement, but the Michelins on the '04 are still in service.

In the past, more manufacturers provided better OEM tires. My '99 Acura TL3.2 came with Michelins on them, which lasted around 80k miles. I replaced them with another set of Michelins, and I got another 75-80K on that set as well.

If you really want to check tire reviews out, go to the Tirerack.com website and look at the 1000's of reviews of the Michelins, Bridgestones and other brands.
    Dave, thanks again. You are correct about the 05 Avalon, mine had Michelin's as well and were barely worn when I treaded it in, at 19,000 miles, on my 2011 Limited.

How do you find the seats, they seemed very hard and uncomfortable to me on test drives.
  • jjuspsjjusps Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Avalon with 32,700 miles a great car owned at least 8 toyota's and this Avalon puts all of them to shame. I love this car and wasn't impressed with the 2013 either it looks a lot smaller inside and the ride didn't impressed me like the 2011 Avalon I can honestly say I love this car. I did when we brought it and still do it's still a great ride.">
  • I have Primacy MXV4 on my 2008 Avalon and Michelin Energy on my 2012. The Primacy are definitely quieter when moving slowly. At highway speed I don't hear a difference. I will replace the Energys with Primacy when the time comes.
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Posts: 29
    edited March 2013
    My mistake. The sunshade is one step up or down. It's a nice addition, but one that we will not use much.
    And, I always purchase Michelin tires when replacing non-Michelin OEM tires.
    I would have preferred to have Michelin's on our Ltd's, but will be OK until the Bridgestone's wear down.
    The only tires I buy are Michelin, and always see an improved ride/handling.
  • robnichrobnich Posts: 13
    >>Apparently all Touring and Limited models come with the Bridgestone's which is unfortunate.<<

No, my 2013 Avalon Limited V6 with Tech Package came fitted with Michelin MXM4 P225-45R18 tires.

Robert N.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Well if you live where there is bright sunshine, or if you have passengers in the back and or travel much, you will use the rear sunshade:)

My passengers love it, if it's sunny, it helps them from getting to hot, and when I travel I've had occasion to have the sun set behind me, and the sunshade made the drive a lot easier, until the sun set.

Skip
  • Not only rear seat pax enjoy the sunshade, but also my dogs. They love the fact that no direct sun is hitting them and with the rear A/C they are very comfortable on both short and long trips.
    What is your opinion of the ride quality (comfort and noise) with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 P225-45R18 tires on your 2013 Limited? That is the only tire/rim option that I have not road tested, and is what I probably would upgrade to when replacing the EL400's on my Touring V6?

Oh, and I find the seats to be a little firm, but my experience is that they usually soften up later on with use.
  • robnichrobnich Posts: 13
    I think the ride is fine, and the tire noise completely acceptable. At normal highway speeds in my Avalon Limited, there is essentially no engine or wind noise, so what one hears is tire noise, but I don't consider it unusual. I have never been in any car in which one could not hear road noise.

The ride seems to be getting better all the time. This may be because I am getting accustomed to the taut, controlled ride of the new Avalon, compared to the softer, cushier ride of the Lexus ES300 I had before I bought the Avalon, or maybe things are "softening up" a bit. The handling of the Avalon is far better than that of my Lexus.

Robert N.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Have had 3 Lexus LS 430/460s. The 02 430 came with some Goofy Chinese tires on it, and wore like iron, but were terribly noisy, and the noise got worse as they wore on. I finally put a set of Michelins on, and the road noise went away - ride about the same. My 05 430 came with Dunlops, and were great. When they wore out, I put more Dunlops on, but a different model. The road noise was just awful!! I couldn't understand how different they could be, both being Dunlops! Finally, took them back and got some Michelins - problem solved again. My 09 460 came with Bridgestone Turanzas on it, which were fine. Remembering my past nightmares, I had them replaced with the same tires - no problems.

My point is - I wish there were a brand you could always trust for ride, and especially road noise. Why would anyone want a tire with excess noise on a touring car? Makes absolutely no sense at all. But so far, Michelin hasn't let me down on this front.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I've had nothing but luck with Michelin on all angles. Ride, handling, traction and wear have always been great.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

The only drawback to Michelins is, they tend to dry -rot in hot, arrid climates quickly. So if you're driving the car consistently - no issue, but if you put them on your "classic" or motorhome or something with occasional use, they will rot away long before you can wear them out. I had them on my Thunderbird, and with 5000 miles on them, had to replace them after 5 years, they simply dry rotted away. For some reason, they seem to be the most prone to do that - I don't know why, but I still prefer them.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    We had a set of Michelins for 7 years on a Honda.. no problem at all with dry rot, still had good tread when we sold the car as it was seldom driven (36k in 11 years).... but we are in Atlanta, nice and humid. Arizona might be a very different story, never thought about this before as Michelin is a premium tire... interesting. Thanks.
    It is inexplicable - but well known in Vegas.
  • jlg8jlg8 Posts: 1
    I bought a Tourinf Avalon in Dallas a month ago and it came with Michelin MXM4s on the 18" wheels. Much quieter than the Bridgestones. I drove an ES350 with the Bridgestones and it was incredibly noisy. Michelin the only way to go. The ride is still a bit jarring on rough rodes but this is the tradeoff for handling. Yes, the seats could be better.