Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• pete7777pete7777 Posts: 1
    I just now got what I believe to be a smoking hot lease deal on a new '13 Avalon XLE Premium. 15K/year, no money down, $399 per month. I'm happy with that - they beat the next lowest quote by over $40 per month.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Anyone who has experience with the 2013 avalon and a recent Camry, please tell us about the ride comparison. Is the avalon, although changed, still a more refined ride than the Camry. Thank you...
  • yota6yota6 Posts: 4
    I purchased a new 2013 Avalon Limited with 18" Wheels and Bridgestone "Turanza EL400" tires.

The ride is rather harsh unless I'm on a smooth street surface.

Is there a softer riding tire for the 18" wheels?
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    I'm lead to believe that the 18" tires /rims do ride hard, which is one of the reason's I traded my 2013 in on a 2012:(

Mine was also loud on smooth roads - which I noticed more on longer drives.

Rough enough and noisy enough that I traded.

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I'm sure that ride is largely dependent on the suspension design, springs etc. Having said that, the EL400 is a CRAP tire and I just can't believe Toyota insists on still using it.

OP, you won't have to live with the EL400s for long. Mine were shot at 27,000 miles and I suspect the lower profile 18s will wear even faster.

Put a set of Michelins and you'll notice a huge difference.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Thanks for sharing the information.

Any recommendations as to a specific Michelin tire that gives a softer ride?
    I've read the Michelin Primacy is a nice riding tire. Goto Tirerack.com and poke around the comments there. It should give you a good idea.

Thanks tjc78. Will do.
    Follow-up - Tirerack.com offered considerable information that was more than helpful. You were correct - it clarified and verified considerably.
    Most Appreciative
    yota6
    No problem!

• solara01solara01 Posts: 4
    I have a 2013 Avalon Limited with Tech Pack, Floor Mats, Cargo Net, and Mud Flaps. Sticker is $42,500. I paid $38,900. Like anything it is a preference of taste. The Avalon doesn't compete with the Volvo S60 and I have not been in one to compare but I am familiar with Volvo products and you can't go wrong.

I think the reason the Avalon won out was because of resale value. My loaded 2001 Solara that I paid $20,000 for is still worth $7,000. I am a Tech guy, it took me almost a week to go through all of the features in this car. That is part of the issue when buying a new car. You can not tell how user friendly the electronics are from a test drive. The Avalon is almost all touch sensitive buttons. They are well laid out and responsive. There is nothing cheap in this car. You can feel and touch the quality through out. This is why it is rated better than their sister Lexus ES series.

I will now address the seats and ride. I also thought that the seats needed a bit more cushy in the tushy. I went on a 300 mile road trip and I was very comfortable. I am 6' and 250lbs. so I think I am a good judge and I no longer have a complaint. The ride, handling and acceleration is very good.
    Even with a full load this car moves. It is no longer a floating sofa and therefor you have to trade something for that performance. It handles pot holes very well but under some road conditions it can be a bit harsh.

In most cases the new car experience wears off. Not here! I look forward to getting into this car everyday!
  • I was in the automobile business years ago when radial tires first started showing up on automobiles. Cars which were designed for radials rode and handled very well compared to the bias ply tires how ever if radials were used on cars whose suspensions were not "tuned" for there use were,to be kind a disapointment. My point here if up want the best performence in ride and handling you suspension and tires must be carefully matched to each other. It is obvious Toyota has failed in this area as you have so carefully documented. I experienced this first hand in my last Lexus a GS300. The car I drove had Michelins and the car I bought had Bridgestones. The difference was so startling I returned the car before I got 20 miles on it thinking something was terribly wrong with the it. Had tires swapped for Michlens and the difference was incredible. I bought a Touring model and made sure it had Michelins on it and think the car has a reasonable compromise between handling and overall ride quality. Thanks for you leg work and input reminding me of my previous experience and giving potential customers a heads up on this matter.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 107
    Glad you're happy with your 2013 Avalon. This is the first time since the early 90's that I don't have a Toyota in my garage - 1 Camry and 2 Avys during that time. I think I was just ready to try something totally new before someone has to do all of my driving for me!! Hopefully, that's a few more new cars away.
  • havechavec Posts: 45
    The 2013 Avalon Limited Consumer Reports review finally came out to day. They rated the V6 limited at 85 and the hybrid at 86. For the record they rated the Camry hybrid at 93. The most damming statement was "Most $25,000 midsized sedans ride better". They were the first to say that the 18 inch wheels had a worse ride than the 17 inch even though they gave the same "open circle" good rating for the ride in both the 18 inch wheel V6 and the 17 inch wheel hybrid. Go figure.

I'm a little mad at CR because I asked them just before I purchased my limited hybrid if they were going to test the Avalon and they emailed me back that they were not planning on testing the Avalon. The next day after I made the purchase the first drive report came out saying that they had purchased a limited hybrid and a V6 for testing.

The 2011 Avalon that they last tested had the same score of 85 and their major complaint was the handling.

You have to subscribe on line to see the article.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• adler223adler223 Posts: 7
    Just purchased an avalon limited hybrid and ended up buying the prepaid maintneance plan for 1760. Concerned that I made a mistake buying this. What do you think. It would cover year 3-5. Thanks.
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    Am sorry to say that you got taken. You could have purchased the exact same Toyota plan online from a dealer in Kansas for about half that much. It's been discussed here numerous times. I purchased a 6 year 75,000 mile extended warranty for my 2011 Avalon for only $450.00.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Scroll or search back thru this board for info on Extended Warranty. Prior post is correct, there are many dealers who sell this warranty under 1k. You can buy from any Toyota dealer, do not buy "outlaw" warranty coverage from a non-dealer. Glad you asked, this board has has saved people thousands on this product.... enjoy your savings...
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Posts: 52
    you got hosed
  • adler223adler223 Posts: 7
    Do you happen to know the name of the person you got the warranty from. Not too latre for me to cancel.